44 Mag help please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag help please

Hogpauls
11-21-2011, 17:59
Do you seat the bullet to published OAL or the crimp groove? If I seat them (240 gr. cast. Missouri Bullet) to the groove the OAL would be .050" shorter than load data. Also for 44 mag what would the recommended crimp be heavy, medium or light? For now I'm just working up loads but is it safe to assume the crimp would depend on the load, light crimp for light load etc?

GioaJack
11-21-2011, 18:14
There are a few cast bullet designs that require crimping ahead of the crimping groove to allow free cylinder rotation but the majority of designs can be, and should be crimped into the groove.

As with any other revolver caliber the degree of crimping is dependent on load and subsequent recoil. Unlike semi loadings revolver rounds are susceptible to bullet creep, (forward movement), rather than setback. The higher the recoil the more likely that forward creek will occur. Although the condition does not raise pressures as with semi loadings it will result in cylinder lock-up putting the gun out of action.

Some loadings, such as a .38 bullseye load, can be crimped similar to a semi by just removing the bell/flare. A SD or hunting .357 would require a more aggressive roll crimp as will your mid to full power .44 loadings.

Jack

Zombie Steve
11-21-2011, 18:27
Seat it so you can do a nice firm roll crimp into the cannelure. You don't want to buckle the case, but you do want to see it roll.

Hogpauls
11-21-2011, 18:37
So if I seat the bullet down to the crimp groove making it .050" shorter than published recommendations, I am correct that the load should be reduced by 1 gr. because of higher pressure?

GioaJack
11-21-2011, 18:44
Pretty much depends on what your starting load is. If it's just a mild plinking load you'll have no problem with the shorter OAL especially if you're using a medium burn powder such as Unique.

If on the other hand you're loading a barn burner that is already maxing out, or close to it reduce your original load by 10% or so then work back up while checking your cases for pressure signs. In the latter example you'd probably be using a slow powder such as 2400 which certainly gives you more leeway than trying to push a fast powder past its intended limits.

Jack

sig357fan
11-21-2011, 18:47
I've always based crimping on the powder type and charge, lighter loads with Unique or Win 231 arn't crimped as heavy a full power load of Blue Dot or 2400, this seems to be in line with what Jack is refering to.

And yes, as Zombie Steve said, you can see the case mouth "rolled" into the crimp groove.

sig357fan

fredj338
11-21-2011, 19:56
So if I seat the bullet down to the crimp groove making it .050" shorter than published recommendations, I am correct that the load should be reduced by 1 gr. because of higher pressure?

As Jack notes, as long as you are not loading max, & you shouldn't be w/o working up loads, it isn't going to matter. Just seat to the crimp groove & be done with it. With lead bullets, there are so many diff designs, unless you know the exact one, the OAL is pretty meaningless.:dunno:

Zombie Steve
11-21-2011, 21:37
.050" is a good bit, but keep in mind the .44 mag has a good amount of case volume. Seating deeper will still have an effect on pressures (higher), but it's not as dramatic as a 9mm, for example. As always, start low, work up and in this case, you might not want to take it all the way up to the max data you have.

We might be able to tell you more if you give us the load you're talking about. We have the bullet - what powder and OAL are you using?

Hogpauls
11-21-2011, 23:23
.050" is a good bit, but keep in mind the .44 mag has a good amount of case volume. Seating deeper will still have an effect on pressures (higher), but it's not as dramatic as a 9mm, for example. As always, start low, work up and in this case, you might not want to take it all the way up to the max data you have.

We might be able to tell you more if you give us the load you're talking about. We have the bullet - what powder and OAL are you using?

The loads I'm working up is from powders I have on hand, Unique, HP-38 and Titegroup.

Unique
8.5 grns
1.605" OAL

HP-38
6.0 grns
1.620" OAL

Titegroup
6.0 grns
1.620" OAL

The dummy round with the bullet seated to the crimp groove had an OAL of 1.575".

Jim Watson
11-21-2011, 23:35
You are not even up to the Lyman STARTING loads.
Don't worry about it.

Zombie Steve
11-22-2011, 07:46
Titegroup in .44 Mag? Hmmmm.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/ogq4n.jpg

Hogpauls
11-22-2011, 09:21
Titegroup in .44 Mag? Hmmmm.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/ogq4n.jpg
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:That pic is classic.
Yeah, I knew that would raise some eyebrows. I'm probably gonna go with Unique because that's what I have the most of.

ColoCG
11-22-2011, 10:08
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:That pic is classic.
Yeah, I knew that would raise some eyebrows. I'm probably gonna go with Unique because that's what I have the most of.

Of the 3 powders you mention, I think your decision to go with Unique would be your best choice. Give it a medium to heavy crimp in the crimping groove no matter what your OAL is, and you should be fine. You've got a lot of room to work up that load. When and if your ready for more you could move on to 2400.

Have Fun