New 590 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 590

X-Phile336
11-21-2011, 19:15
I picked up a new Mossberg 590A1 last week with a 20Ē barrel, bead sight, and 9 shot capacity. Iíve been looking at a good HD shotgun for a while now and have been flipping back and forth between the 590 and Remington 870. However, I used to own an 870 Express Magnum (base model), and I was never really that overly impressed with it. The action worked okay, but I kept having problems with the finish rusting on the barrel. That, and my brother in law keeps having problems with his 870 Express jamming on low brass shells for some reason.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, the 590A1 has been exactly what Iíve been looking for. At first I wasnít too sure about the length of the barrel, but Iíve found the 20Ē (verses 18.5Ē) is nothing to worry about. In fact my only real concern with the 590A1 is the length of pull with the standard stock, but Iíve been looking at the Hogue 12Ē LOP as an alternative and may have to give it a try. That and find a good side saddle for it.<o:p></o:p>

mongo356
11-21-2011, 21:34
congrats- I have that same shotgun w/ GRS it's great!!

Here's what I did to correct the LOP- the 13" works best for me so far, 12 is ok but if your not careful it's easy to take a thumb knuckle to the nose (I try to lay my thumb along side the stock but sometimes forget).

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340933

precisioncg
11-22-2011, 08:31
I have this same shotgun but with the ghost ring sights. I don't know how tall you are (I'm 6') but I found the 14" LOP too much. I took a course with the gun and with having to stretch my support hand so much I really got fatigued. That isn't even mentioning the heavy barrel. Half way through the class the instructor ended up lending me his 870 which was lighter and had an adjustable LOP. The next day I ordered the 12" LOP Hogue stock. You won't believe the difference 2" makes. Its a completely different shotgun. Now all I would like to do with it is to get it Vang Comp'd. After that it will be perfect.

DFin
11-23-2011, 14:39
I have this same shotgun but with the ghost ring sights. I don't know how tall you are (I'm 6') but I found the 14" LOP too much. I took a course with the gun and with having to stretch my support hand so much I really got fatigued. That isn't even mentioning the heavy barrel. Half way through the class the instructor ended up lending me his 870 which was lighter and had an adjustable LOP. The next day I ordered the 12" LOP Hogue stock. You won't believe the difference 2" makes. Its a completely different shotgun. Now all I would like to do with it is to get it Vang Comp'd. After that it will be perfect.

I have the same problem as you with my 590A1. Mine has a factory recoil pad on it. Is the standard LOP 14 in. on these guns? I like the idea of an adjustable LOP stock.