Am I making the right move? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Am I making the right move?

fendertele87
11-22-2011, 09:20
About a year ago I finally decided I was going to go for it! I've been thinking of becoming a cop for a while. I had no high school diploma, no GED, and no college. For the past 6 months I've been taking some GED classes and I have now passed 4 out of the five test and I'm doing pretty good on my scores. So what I've been thinking of doing is after I pass my last test is to apply for the sheriffs department here in Texas where I live. They said at first ill have to work as a jailer for about a year and then I can apply for them to send me to the Academey. Does this sound like a good plan? I keep hearing it can take like 3 years for people to get on somewhere but once that year is up I could be a deputy and doing pretty much what a cop does.

Anywho I'm pretty excited because I feel like I'm getting closer to what I want to do with my life. Just wondering if the route I'm going is good or not?

Cochese
11-22-2011, 09:26
Sounds good to me, mang. Throw some college classes in there to go with the GED, though. When I became TCLEOSE certified, GED folks required something like 12 credits as well.

Go for it.

Matt45648
11-22-2011, 09:28
You need to look at your current situation. I'd say finding any job would be good. Its hard for people with a college degree to get a job nowadays.... so if you can get on with a GED do it. Now as far as working at the sheriffs office. Be prepared for the politics. Jail work sucks, make no mistake. However the things you can learn and people you meet in the jail can help you if and when the road does come your way. You cannot get discouraged and in a hurry to go out. It happens when it happens. I did 4 years in the jail before coming out.... But it did help to prepare me. Just my 2 cents.....

msu_grad_121
11-22-2011, 10:00
Sounds like you're on the right path, just keep moving along. Matt is right, it's a tough, TOUGH job market out there right now, so don't get discouraged. It sounds like you have a solid plan and are making headway, so the only bit of advice I can give you is, once you apply, keep taking classes or whatever you need to advance yourself. That will make you more attractive as a candidate, and make it more likely you get hired.

Best of luck, dood! :wavey:

MeefZah
11-22-2011, 10:22
Jail work sucks, make no mistake. However the things you can learn and people you meet in the jail can help you if and when the road does come your way. You cannot get discouraged and in a hurry to go out. It happens when it happens. I did 4 years in the jail before coming out.... But it did help to prepare me. Just my 2 cents.....

I actually really enjoyed my 1.5 years in the jail when I started, but I do agree with the rest of your post.

fendertele87
11-22-2011, 10:24
Thanks! I know at the moment they are hiring for jailers and sheriff deputy's(patrol officers). I do plan in starting college either this spring semester or in the fall. Thanks for the input guys!

DaBigBR
11-22-2011, 11:04
...once that year is up I could be a deputy and doing pretty much what a cop does.

This statement puzzles me.

In Texas, the Sheriff's Offices provide policing services to unincorporated county and contracted communities, which is the case in much of the country. What do you perceive the difference to be between a deputy sheriff and a "cop?"

msu_grad_121
11-22-2011, 11:10

In Texas, the Sheriff's Offices provide policing services to unincorporated county and contracted communities, which is the case in much of the country. What do you perceive the difference to be between a deputy sheriff and a "cop?"

I don't mean to talk for the OP, but I took it to mean that cops patrol cities, townships, villages, etc. and deputies do the same thing, but in a more rural setting (a la secondary roads, etc.). No disrespect intended to the OP, but I am used to hearing stuff like that out of people that, for lack of a better term, are ignorant to the actual wording and/or job functions of both positions. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

trdvet
11-22-2011, 11:17
Which county? There are several Texas officers on here. Becoming a jailer is always a good foot in the door to becoming a Peace Officer.

Cochese
11-22-2011, 11:29
Sounds good to me, mang. Throw some college classes in there to go with the GED, though. When I became TCLEOSE certified, GED folks required something like 12 credits as well.

Go for it.

Cancel that.

All you need is the GED.

(a) The commission shall issue a peace officer, jailer, temporary jailer, or public security officer license to an applicant who meets the following standards:
(1) minimum educational requirements:
(A) has passed a general educational development (GED) test indicating high school graduation level;
(B) holds a high school diploma; or
(C) has 12 semester hours credit from an accredited college or university.

How old are you?

Any traffic issues, criminal history, bad credit? Do you get fired from jobs?

If no to all that, you should be a good candidate for a jailer position. I *HIGHLY* recommend you spend a year or two there to show your dedication, then see if the agency will sponsor your TCLEOSE BPOC.

Good luck.

fendertele87
11-22-2011, 12:32

I don't know much about the big difference between being a city cop or a sheriff but from what I can tell a sheriff still does patrol and takes calls just like a city PD would do. Am I wrong?

I'm just trying to find out what some good steps are to get into LE. After talking to somebody that works for the sheriffs department where I live this is what he recommended.

packsaddle
11-22-2011, 17:06
<-- deputy sheriff in texas.

we patrol the county AND the cities.

so, ha!

(oh, and good luck in your endeavors)

fendertele87
11-22-2011, 17:23
<-- deputy sheriff in texas.

we patrol the county AND the cities.

so, ha!

(oh, and good luck in your endeavors)

That's what I thought.. Lol

Where in Texas are you? I'm in smith county.

ray9898
11-22-2011, 17:50
I don't know much about the big difference between being a city cop or a sheriff but from what I can tell a sheriff still does patrol and takes calls just like a city PD would do. Am I wrong?

Police Officers have jurisdiction inside the city limits, Sheriff Deputies have everything else. People generally consider us all 'cops'.

In some places deputies on patrol can work in very rural areas unlike city officers, in some places their duties are no different than the neighboring city police they work alongside even in the "big city". A good example in Texas is the city of Dallas and the rest of Harris County. Everyone on patrol in that area works in the same enviroment no matter which department they work for.

fendertele87
11-22-2011, 19:58
^^^
That's pretty much what I figured

toddmog
11-22-2011, 23:14
Get your foot in the door by working in the jail. After getting out of the Army, a friend of mine applied for the SO and didn't get on the road the first time around. Instead he got a job in the jail. After 11 months in the jail, he was one of three hired. Of those three, only one was certified already.

If nothing else, working in the jail will help you determine if you want to be around that type of work/people on a full time basis. You'll get to see lots of crazy things and have tons of great stories. Best of luck.

lawman800
11-23-2011, 00:01
Sounds like a good path. Don't get complacent though, even if you get in the door as a jailer, continue with the education. Just don't waste your time on an AA in Criminal Justice or something like that. Get some real classes like business or accounting or psychology or whatever and work towards a BA if you can. It will be tough but you can do it with some discipline.

actionshooter10
11-23-2011, 01:00
Police Officers have jurisdiction inside the city limits, Sheriff Deputies have everything else.

I'm occasionally griped at by a city officer for coming into the city to work. My response is: Your city is in my county.

I have jurisdiction everywhere inside the county, not just the unincorporated areas.

lloydchristmas
11-23-2011, 01:53
We don't mind the County Mounties coming into the city to work. The more uniformed presence, the better, IMO.

fendertele87
11-23-2011, 09:33
I'm occasionally griped at by a city officer for coming into the city to work. My response is: Your city is in my county.

Sounds like something I would probably say. Haha

lawman800
11-23-2011, 09:57
The deputies are way too overworked to be poaching. Our problem is the city guys who are bored poaching in neighboring cities.

ray9898
11-23-2011, 20:06

I have jurisdiction everywhere inside the county, not just the unincorporated areas.

We are way to busy in our jurisdiction to fool around inside the city limits.

RyanNREMTP
11-24-2011, 06:26
In my academy there are five jailers that the county put through the course. Afterwards when a spot opens up in patrol or something else then they can apply for it. I'm hearing that this is pretty common so your route isn't anything new. The academy can be tough but it's worth it. Mine is 20 weeks long and has extensive physical training almost every other day.

Good luck in your future.