retired LEO in FL with questions . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : retired LEO in FL with questions . . .

58duck
11-22-2011, 11:33
my Dad is retired after 30+ years as LEO and has relocated to central Florida. (darn near dead-center)
at the age of 79, he now feels the need to carry concealed.
after retirement, he handed his service revolver to me. this past september, for the first time since retirement, he shot a hand gun. he shot my Glock 21 - and i think he fell in love with it.

i've been talking to the others, and at this point i believe the best bet for Dad is to just get the Florida carry concealed permit. sounds like the easiest, cleanest way to do it. there's a class in January at the Universal Shooting Academy which he will probably take.

Dad has done more for me in 53 years than i could ever have imagined, and i feel compelled to purchase the hand gun of Dad's choosing for him. can any of you central Florida people direct me to a good, reputable gunshop somewhere in central Florida ??
i will be spending Christmas with Mom and Dad in FL this year, and would like to make that purchase if he finds the gun he likes.

thank you in advance for your assistance,
chuck

Cochese
11-22-2011, 12:24
I bought a Sig on www.gunsamerica.com from a place in FL.

Jay's Guns.

I guess they have about four locations.

Cochese
11-22-2011, 12:25
Well, it looks like they are north Florida.

Either way, if you figure out what he wants locally, Jay's has pretty good pricing, even with shipping.

I paid $400 for a $500 Sig P238.

GD2J
11-22-2011, 12:26
my Dad is retired after 30+ years as LEO and has relocated to central Florida. (darn near dead-center)
after retirement, he handed his service revolver to me. this past september, for the first time since retirement, he shot a hand gun. he shot my Glock 21 - and i think he fell in love with it.

i've been talking to the others, and at this point i believe the best bet for Dad is to just get the Florida carry concealed permit. sounds like the easiest, cleanest way to do it. there's a class in January at the Universal Shooting Academy which he will probably take.

Dad has done more for me in 53 years than i could ever have imagined, and i feel compelled to purchase the hand gun of Dad's choosing for him. can any of you central Florida people direct me to a good, reputable gunshop somewhere in central Florida ??
i will be spending Christmas with Mom and Dad in FL this year, and would like to make that purchase if he finds the gun he likes.

thank you in advance for your assistance,
chuck

Actually, your dad can carry a firearm concealed on his retired credentials without having to go through the time and expense of getting an additional permit, provided that he can pass the course of fire specified by FDLE.

Link ---> FDLE’s “Questions and Answers Regarding HR 218” October, 2008 (http://www.spcollege.edu/ac/sepsi/inservice/Brochures/HR218%20FAQ.pdf)

Cochese
11-22-2011, 12:27
If he has retired credentials, or if not, whether his former employing agency is willing to give him such credentials at age 79.

CCW may be the best bet, although it would be cool as hell for him to get to do it on a badge.

Glockwork Orange
11-22-2011, 12:28
Actually, your dad can carry a firearm concealed on his retired credentials, provided that he can pass the course of fire specified by FDLE.

Link ---> FDLE’s “Questions and Answers Regarding HR 218” October, 2008 (http://www.spcollege.edu/ac/sepsi/inservice/Brochures/HR218%20FAQ.pdf)

+1 this...look into HR218...

Bodyarmorguy
11-22-2011, 12:48
AS others have said, HR218 is the way to go. If you are near East Central FL or can commute to the Cocoa area, I will do the HR218 course of fire for him. It is a 40 round course. PM me for details.

Chuck54
11-22-2011, 13:15
Also check into Glock LE He should be able to get a Blue Label Pistol

58duck
11-22-2011, 14:18
the way i understand it, Dad has the necessary credentials, but would need to go to the current Chief of his department in PA in order to get permission to carry outside the state of Pennsylvania. in addition, it would be necessary for him to qualify annually with his department in order to remain 'current.'
traveling to PA at certain times of the year may not be a practical solution.

if i understand FDLE & HR218 correctly, this same procedure could be done in Florida. again, he has the proper credentials. also, he would still need to qualify annually in order to remain 'current' according to FDLE. i do not believe that to be a problem as they spend a majority of the year in Florida. they only come north to pester us kids for a couple of months, then retreat south before we can get even with them. age has brought wisdom to Mom and Dad.

any way, Dad would like to be in a position where he could carry as he and Mom drive from Florida to North Carolina to Ohio. would you guys suggest he pursue HR218 certification, or going and getting the carry concealed permit ??

don't worry about him qualifying - he outperformed all his fellow officers (including the Chief) in each of the last (2) years he was active . . .

Patchman
11-22-2011, 14:55
My understanding of retired HR218 is he needs to have the "retired" creds from his old agency, plus qualification from the state where his legal residence is. Then he's good to carry under HR218 wherever he travels.

k9medic
11-22-2011, 15:32
Did he move to the Villages?

Anyway - if he can't/wont carry on his retired credentials, then all he needs to do is show that he is a retired police officer when he submits his CCW packet. No need to take a class.

DaBigBR
11-22-2011, 16:01
Do both. Get the Florida permit and qualify with somebody to carry under HR218. If nothing else, I bet that the Florida permit has a NICS check number on it, which would speed up the transaction process when buying a gun.

nohocop
11-22-2011, 17:35
If he has the retired credentials, and qualifies per HR218, he doesn't need permission from anybody. That was the whole point of the law in the first place, among other things.

bobdat
11-22-2011, 17:57
delete

GD2J
11-22-2011, 18:21
An annual requal for the privilege of carry in all 50 states (versus 34 for CCW) seems like a good deal to me. Also, it looks like there's many places to get the qual done in central FL as well. Looks pretty pain free.

To the OP, your dad does NOT need permission from his old chief or department. HERE (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/926C) is a link to the law as it pertains to retirees. It spells out everything and is very straightforward.

Best wishes in whatever you (& he) decides!

Patchman
11-22-2011, 18:39
Yeah, he does't need anyone's permission. Just the "retired" creds (ID Card that says "retired" is good). Then proof of passing the annual qualification from where his legal residence is.

It seems 90-percent of all retires (including LEOs) from up north moves to Florida, so I hardly think there'd be a problem finding someone to qualify them to the FL requirements.

Having said that, it's also a good idea to get a FL CCW. As a past thread once pointed out, if your dad should at some point in time become physically unable to qualify for the HR218 shooting qualifications (and thus no longer qualify for HR218), he'd still have the FL CCW to fall back on.

Tell your dad to enjoy his well earned retirement and thank him for his service to his community (and your mom for supporting him).

G33Fla
11-22-2011, 18:51
go to gungenie.com choose what you want and where you want to pick it up at.

fla2760
11-23-2011, 16:49
My understanding of retired HR218 is he needs to have the "retired" creds from his old agency, plus qualification from the state where his legal residence is. Then he's good to carry under HR218 wherever he travels.
This.

fla2760
11-23-2011, 16:51
Do both. Get the Florida permit and qualify with somebody to carry under HR218. If nothing else, I bet that the Florida permit has a NICS check number on it, which would speed up the transaction process when buying a gun.
This is what I did. I retired from nypd in 1988. I qualify with revolver and semi auto every year.

Marshal Sam Hol
11-23-2011, 21:38
I don't know about Florida, but I am retired in Arkansas. We are required to have proper credentials and qualify once a year. I retired from a state agency, so what I do is qualify with my old agency twice a year just to be safe. About two years ago, we were in St. Louis, and ended up at the arch. I have been there before, but this time they had walk thru metal detectors and I told the family to go ahead and I would wait outside. Inspite of the bad rumors of federal agencies, one of the officers saw us talking and asked if there was I problem. I explain ( after showing credentials) that I was carrying. He told me to wait, and called for an armed supervisor. I told him the situation, he said they would rather have me armed inside thean leaving the weapon in the car. He signed me in and I took my granddaughter ( and my gun )to the top of the arch...

58duck
11-24-2011, 06:00
hey, guys - thanks for your help.
the only info i had prior to starting this thread was pre-HR218 . . . way outdated.

i've been talking to Dad - he wants to go via HR218.

yesterday afternoon, he started looking for a gun. the last hand gun he purchased was in 1957 when he bought his brand new S&W (Pre-Model 10) 38 Special. he wants to qualify this time with a semi-auto, and is leaning towards a Glock 23, 27, or maybe a Glock 30. i told him he has 'till Christmas to find one he likes - then i'll buy it for him when i'm down there.

again, for all you guys that posted here, thanks for all the info and help. Dad, who is in the Frostproof area, says "tell them boys i said 'Thank you' . . . and i mean it."

bodyarmorguy - PM sent . . .
patchman - message relayed . . .

Patchman
11-24-2011, 07:25
Remind your dad that under HR218/LEOSA, if he qualifies with a semiauto, he's only allowed to carry a semiauto. If he qualifies with a revolver, he's only allowed to carry a revolver. If he qualifies with both semi and revolver, he'd be allowed to carry either or both. (The model he qualified with does not have to be the gun he actually carries). And I'm sure you can qualify for both during the same session.

4949shooter
11-24-2011, 07:36
I agree HR218 is the way to go if he can swing it. If he were to travel through NJ on his way to PA on the Florida CCW permit, he would not be legal for the time he is here. Best to do LEOSA..

58duck
11-25-2011, 06:38
thanks again for the reminder, Patchman - - - Dad is ready for a semi-auto. he knew he had to carry the gun he qualified with.

all this got me looking into the G30, too. sounds like a great gun, and if Dad wants to get one - - - i may end up getting one for me, too !

lastly, i believe Dad will get his Florida carry permit later on . . . just in case . . .

mikegun
11-25-2011, 15:04
you should check into a Glock 36 as well, much lighter for dad to carry and still a 45 cal....

Dexters
11-25-2011, 15:52

What caused him to make that decision now?

opelwasp
11-25-2011, 18:44
If he's looking at a 23, have him try a 23C. I tried one and loved it. I wish they made a compensated 27 but alas they don't. The reduced muzzle flip is amazing! The 23 is too big for my concealed taste or I would get one.

58duck
11-26-2011, 09:36
Dexters - i believe what prompted it was my wife and i getting our carry handgun license in Ohio last December. i had hoped to talk to Dad and my brother about this when we are together for Christmas this year, but it looks like Dad is already on-board.

after Dad retired, and since i was the eldest, he passed his service revolver to me. he did not believe he had a need for it anymore.
that is the gun i used in the carry concealed class, but i never carried it - knowing that if i had to use it, it could be confiscated, and i didn't want to take that kind of a risk with Dad's gun.

this past march, i purchased a Glock 21 to shoot. not long after came a Glock 23 to carry, and a Glock 34 for competition. Dad was here in Ohio last Sept prior to going back to Florida, and went to a small competition with me. he competed with the Glock 21, he did well and really enjoyed it. never having shot a semi-auto before, he was impressed with its fit and performance.

i guess he has been thinking about this since Sept, but just mentioned it to me last week. only God knows what the future may bring, but he and i may well end up competing together at an IDPA/USPSA match somewhere . . . . . . . and that's something i am looking forward to . . . . .

Dexters
11-26-2011, 10:34
Dexters - i believe what prompted it was my wife and i getting our carry handgun license in Ohio last December. i had hoped to talk to Dad and my brother about this when we are together for Christmas this year, but it looks like Dad is already on-board.

after Dad retired, and since i was the eldest, he passed his service revolver to me. he did not believe he had a need for it anymore.
that is the gun i used in the carry concealed class, but i never carried it - knowing that if i had to use it, it could be confiscated, and i didn't want to take that kind of a risk with Dad's gun.

this past march, i purchased a Glock 21 to shoot. not long after came a Glock 23 to carry, and a Glock 34 for competition. Dad was here in Ohio last Sept prior to going back to Florida, and went to a small competition with me. he competed with the Glock 21, he did well and really enjoyed it. never having shot a semi-auto before, he was impressed with its fit and performance.

i guess he has been thinking about this since Sept, but just mentioned it to me last week. only God knows what the future may bring, but he and i may well end up competing together at an IDPA/USPSA match somewhere . . . . . . . and that's something i am looking forward to . . . . .

I was just thinking that if it was because the neighborhood was getting bad or something like that - it might be time for your father to move rather than stay in a bad situation.

Patchman
11-26-2011, 10:52
Only God knows what the future may bring, but he and i may well end up competing together at an IDPA/USPSA match somewhere . . . . . . . and that's something i am looking forward to . . . . .

If you and your dad do end up competing against each other, I'd have to root for your dad. Although you seem like a great son (kudos to your parents), I'd still have to support the (old) boys in blue. Hope he kicks your arse. :supergrin:

58duck
11-26-2011, 11:32
:rofl: . . . Patchman . . . :rofl: . . . you're too funny . . .:rofl: . . . Dad out-shoot me ??? . . . :tongueout:

BUT SERIOUSLY - i do understand and respect your decision to support my Dad.

actually, i wouldn't care which one of us wins - it's more important to me just to be out with Dad . . . :thumbsup:

58duck
11-26-2011, 12:14
Dexters - nope - Mom and Dad are in a good neighborhood. good Christian people that raised (3) kids and put them all through college. been married for 58 years . . . living and loving life ~ especially the grandkids.

opelwasp - i love my Gen 4 G23 - didn't know there was a G23C. thanks for bringing that to my attention - we'll look into it.
i have heard a lot of good about the G30.
Dad is going to have to decide which one he likes best and which one fits the best. he's leaning more toward the .40 and .45 calibers at this point.

i suppose we'll be spending quite a bit of Christmas vacation at a range somewhere in central Florida . . . . . .

Patchman
11-26-2011, 13:04
:rofl: . . . Patchman . . . :rofl: . . . you're too funny . . .:rofl: . . . Dad out-shoot me ??? . . . :tongueout:

BUT SERIOUSLY - i do understand and respect your decision to support my Dad.

Sure, laugh now. But remember that he who laughs last, laughs best. Oh how I would love to see him kick your whipper-snapper butt!. :rofl:

actually, i wouldn't care which one of us wins - it's more important to me just to be out with Dad . . . :thumbsup:

Seriously. At some point in every person's life, you realize parents are not going to be around forever. So any time you can spend with them is precious time.

Also, (selfishly), makes you realize how important it is to raise your own children right.

4949shooter
11-26-2011, 13:13
I am glad your Dad decided he wants to carry. Back before hR 218 came into effect, we had a retired polce chief go down to his "old neighborhood" to visit his parents' grave. He was murdered by two thugs. Due to this incident, NJ enacted it's own concealed carry law for retired police officers.

58duck
11-26-2011, 14:08
Patchman - i'm kinda new on here, and haven't figured out how to post a quote yet, but you are right. i do value the time i get to spend with my parents and family. i have been very blessed to have the parents i have. Mom and Dad started our family over a half-century ago, and i am grateful for what they have done and all they have provided. of course, without God's Blessing upon us, none of this would have been possible.

Dad had a knee replacement almost (3) years ago. this past summer he got to water ski for the first time since the knee replacement, and now he is back on the ball field playing in a league somewhere in the Frostproof/Lake Wales area. i'm glad i don't live closer to him - i'm not sure if i could keep up with him.

should you find yourself in that area around Christmas, let me know and we'll meet up somewhere.

God Bless, and thanks to all of you for your help and advice,

chuck
p.s. - BODYARMORGUY - PM me - Dad wants to talk to you . . .

Patchman
11-26-2011, 14:21
Didn't do anything more than hit a few keys on the keyboard...

Happy holidays to you and your dad.