High-Riding Appendix IWB Holster? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High-Riding Appendix IWB Holster?

dekova
11-22-2011, 22:20
Recently I've discovered that I prefer appendix carry over the standard 3-5 carry.

The holster I've got kinda works... it's comfortable and all but it causes the gun's grip to ride flush against the top of the belt. It's a problem quickly getting my fingers between the gun and belt and causes issues with achieving a firm/fast grip.

I'm looking for recommendations on an AIWB holster that rides a bit higher.
The Ehud looks nice. Archangel looks nice but rides a bit lower?
This one looks nice but I have no idea which holster it is.
http://hcsblogdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/appendix.jpg?w=300&h=225

Can someone name the holster in the picture?
Are there other AIWB holsters I should be looking at?

xmanhockey7
11-22-2011, 22:36
Recently I've discovered that I prefer appendix carry over the standard 3-5 carry.

The holster I've got kinda works... it's comfortable and all but it causes the gun's grip to ride flush against the top of the belt. It's a problem quickly getting my fingers between the gun and belt and causes issues with achieving a firm/fast grip.

Maybe look into a Remora holster. They allow you to set the holster however you want and it does not move. http://www.remoraholsters.net/ Take a look at some youtube videos. tnoutdoors9 literally jumps up and down in it and it does not move.

sandworm40
11-23-2011, 08:04
I have the Dale Fricke Archangel. It rides high enough to allow a full firing grip upon drawing and has adjustable weapon retention. In carrying a Glock 27 at this position, I've found that the Archangel's higher ride is slightly less concealable on me but allows the better grip and is quite secure with the dual belt loops. The Remora can be set lower to improve concealability but in doing so I lose the better grip and it relies on sufficient friction/tension to maintain the holster in position at all times. AIWB is not a carry position I use often, but when I do either of these holsters meets my needs.

huggytree
11-23-2011, 18:58
i just got a Galco King Tuk

check it out...it rides high

up1911fan
11-23-2011, 22:50
The Fricke Archangel and Comp Tac 2 o'clock both ride high enough to get a good grip.

freeride88
11-23-2011, 23:15
It seems like Dale Fricke's rig is the go to for appendix these days.

bilkay
11-23-2011, 23:38
I think I'm going to give the Comtac Minotaur appendix carry holster a try. I have a MIC but I'm still on the fence about that one.

NMGlocker
11-24-2011, 08:11
CCC Shaggy
Cane&Derby Pardus
Fricke Archangel

Just to name a few.

MLittle
11-24-2011, 09:17
Looks like you have a FIST holster on now..... I also carry aiwb and prefer the Dale Fricke Archangel. I like it so much, I have 4 of them for each of my carry pistols. I tried a Remora and I's just ok for me. I don't like the feel of it and much prefer the positive control of the two links over my belt that the Archangel has.

dwalker84
11-24-2011, 10:11
I've tried using the MTAC for Appendix and while comfortable standing, there's just too much holster for that spot. Sitting for more than 10 minutes is just plain uncomfortable - Also I don't trust the clips on an MTAC at ALL especially after I almost lost my pistol on my motorcycle because the clips jiggled loose, the holster was held in my pants with the last 1.5 inches before I realized it. Note: I use a wilderness tactical belt - so it's not the belt.

I recently got an Arch Angel holster and it makes AIWB comfortable, secure, and conceals great - I feel it rides high as I've got plenty of space between my belt and the grip of the gun. Amazing for AIWB!

You can't go wrong with the Arch Angel - best holster I've ever had, period, and I've owned the vm2, mtac, RCS Phantom, other Kydex holster makers here on the board, etc - and nothing comes close. Get one and don't look back.

unit1069
11-24-2011, 21:15
Maybe look into a Remora holster. They allow you to set the holster however you want and it does not move.

Remora works for me too.

alven
11-25-2011, 07:09
I carry a new design, Stealth Defense Strut Holster, cross draw, IWB that rides above the belt to provide great access and comfort.

dekova
11-25-2011, 20:48
I've tried using the MTAC for Appendix and while comfortable standing, there's just too much holster for that spot. Sitting for more than 10 minutes is just plain uncomfortable - Also I don't trust the clips on an MTAC at ALL especially after I almost lost my pistol on my motorcycle because the clips jiggled loose, the holster was held in my pants with the last 1.5 inches before I realized it. Note: I use a wilderness tactical belt - so it's not the belt.

I recently got an Arch Angel holster and it makes AIWB comfortable, secure, and conceals great - I feel it rides high as I've got plenty of space between my belt and the grip of the gun. Amazing for AIWB!

You can't go wrong with the Arch Angel - best holster I've ever had, period, and I've owned the vm2, mtac, RCS Phantom, other Kydex holster makers here on the board, etc - and nothing comes close. Get one and don't look back.

Those pictures are worth a thousand words. It looks like the Archangel gives plenty of space for quick aquisition of grip, thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post

dekova
11-25-2011, 21:09
I just want to say I appreciate all the replies, now I've got more holsters to go check out.

Thanks guys!

dekova
11-25-2011, 21:31
Remora works for me too.

I've got the Remora. It's actually what prompted this thread.

I think it's a great holster, holds well, etc. But when I try to use it for appendix carry it sits too low for me to get a grip and draw reliably. If I inch it it up, it just doesn't feel secure. Maybe it's because I'm carrying a G26 and after inching it up, there's just not enough left inside the waistband for a good hold.

xmanhockey7
11-25-2011, 22:11
I have a question for those of you who carry appendix. Isn't it uncomfortable? Especially when sitting down. I once tired to carry a Ruger LCP there and flat out couldn't do it. I know everyone has their own thing but I'm just wondering if it sitting down bothers you guys like it does me.

yesitsloaded
11-25-2011, 22:55
I've been carrying AIWB every day for 5-years now - I've tried just about every holster out there. Most mentioned here are good for AIWB, but the one thing I have learned is that the holster must be adjustable ... for ride-height and cant.

REASON: I bet you and I don't have the same body style and most likely we have different preferences when it comes to where the rig sits.

Two years ago I 'thought' I'd found my perfect AIWB: Raven Concealment Systems AIWB - but hard kydex 'in the crease' never sold me completely.

Then, I stumbled onto a long-running thread here on GT showcasing a holster maker with not 1 complaint in 150 purchases. He makes a rig similar to the Crossbreed, but costs only $50 and ships in 2-days. I called him and emailed him a template for my perfect AIWB. I know own 3 of his rigs for 6 of my carry guns and haven't needed to use any other holster for AIWB since.

Kurt is the holster maker and Shielded Holsters is the brand: http://shieldedholsters.com/

BTW: I am right handed and prefer to carry my G36/23/30/39 in the 11:30 position, in a semi-crossdraw (with the barrel going down the left side of the weapon I was born with) - the grip just disappears under a t-shirt going across the top of my belt buckle. Snubs and belly guns ride at around 1:00 or 2:00 depending on dress.

All in all, just my opinion - YMMV.

Best.

dwalker84
11-28-2011, 13:31
I have a question for those of you who carry appendix. Isn't it uncomfortable? Especially when sitting down. I once tired to carry a Ruger LCP there and flat out couldn't do it. I know everyone has their own thing but I'm just wondering if it sitting down bothers you guys like it does me.

At first yes, it's uncomfortable. I spend 2+ hours a day driving to work, and as an office manager I sit half the day at a desk. Sitting IS uncomfortable - but my body has gotten used to it - it rarely bothers me now. The benefits far outway the comfort level in my opinion. Dale Fricke's AA holster made appendix carry very comfortable actually. Try appendix carry in a raven concealment ... OUCH.

One thing that helps is when I know I will be sitting for a long period, I kind of hike up my pants/holster so it's higher on my waist, it prevents it from digging into my stomach or leg.

High Noon
11-30-2011, 11:24

This is the Public Secret, You may like it. Not To High Not To Low. Just right for a combat grip.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Public_Secret_w-clip/public_secret_w-clip.html

NMGlocker
11-30-2011, 15:11
An LCP was too uncomfortable... seriously?
That should be the first clue that you're doing it wrong.
I've carried a H&K P30 AIWB for 8 hour car trips with no problems, you should be able to carry a LCP in your underwear with no discomfort.

NMGlocker
11-30-2011, 15:15

This is the Public Secret, You may like it. Not To High Not To Low. Just right for a combat grip.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Public_Secret_w-clip/public_secret_w-clip.html
The sweat shield is too big and interferes with getting a solid grip, it's also too thick and adds bulk right where it's most likely to compromise concealment.
If you'd make the Public Secret in horsehide without a sweat shield (basically a higher riding Hideaway) it'd be a great AIWB holster.

High Noon
11-30-2011, 20:45
We can agree and disagree with you on some points. We do respect your way or a different way than ours of doing things. Ask a hundred people who carry a gun what the best way is and you will get a hundred different answers.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#20

Now if you are trying to stick your thumb behind the guard and that's how you like to draw then any guard will get in the way. They are just not for you.

With that said, most people do not draw or grip the gun like that or the guards would be a constant topic on forums and we would have heard something coming from our customer service. We are around 16 years with that design. Also, many other makers have incorporated sweat guards in their designs, so it's out there in big numbers with no complaints in site that we know of. I tried drawing with my thumb higher up cutting into the sweat guard but when I get on target my thumb comes back down a bit.

You do have a good idea, we could easily make a hideaway with a combat grip, just not sure it would sell well. (I'll keep you in mind for R&D if we do make one)

Something like what you describe, thin, no cant and no shield is already in our line. The Upper Cut. Let me know what you think about that one? http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Upper_Cut/upper_cut.html

As for thickness, any thinner the shield would flop over and you lose the one handed reholstering which is part of the holsters job function.

High Noon
11-30-2011, 20:51
At first yes, it's uncomfortable. I spend 2+ hours a day driving to work, and as an office manager I sit half the day at a desk. Sitting IS uncomfortable - but my body has gotten used to it - it rarely bothers me now. The benefits far outway the comfort level in my opinion. Dale Fricke's AA holster made appendix carry very comfortable actually. Try appendix carry in a raven concealment ... OUCH.

One thing that helps is when I know I will be sitting for a long period, I kind of hike up my pants/holster so it's higher on my waist, it prevents it from digging into my stomach or leg.

What we do is push the holster so it gets a slant to, almost like cross draw, so it does not dig into you when sitting. This may only work with our holsters. More info here http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#98

NMGlocker
12-02-2011, 08:03
I like some of the Highnoon designs, but others are not suitable for all day carry and obtaining a good grip.
If you're serious about getting input on your designs PM me and I can point you to some serious handgun shooters with verified credentials who are very active in the training community.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

xmanhockey7
12-02-2011, 08:58
An LCP was too uncomfortable... seriously?
That should be the first clue that you're doing it wrong.
I've carried a H&K P30 AIWB for 8 hour car trips with no problems, you should be able to carry a LCP in your underwear with no discomfort.

Yes seriously I just don't like having it there. I'm sure it works for others but just not for me. I know a lot of people who don't like carrying in a shoulder holster but in my opinion it's one of the most comfortable ways to carry.

High Noon
12-02-2011, 10:52
I like some of the Highnoon designs, but others are not suitable for all day carry and obtaining a good grip.
If you're serious about getting input on your designs PM me and I can point you to some serious handgun shooters with verified credentials who are very active in the training community.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

High Noon being around 15 plus years has a good network of professionals in every aspect of guns in place already, we thank you for the offer. We can always add to the overflowing pot, the more different people the better.

We do have a huge line of holsters, it can get confusing, something for everyone. If you are hardcore or just starting out we have a holster for you. Some holsters are designed with all the bells and whistles and some are just simple get the job done holsters.

The ones that are not suitable for a good grip are because they are "designed" that way. They are "low ride holsters" and the web explains that to custoomers, so they know what they are buying. They have a different design intention or job to get done then ones with a combat grip. Many people like a low ride holster when deep concealment is more important then other things.

NMGlocker
12-02-2011, 13:02
You entered the thread, so I'm going to give my opinion on your gear.
:wavey:

Take your Public Secret and compare the sweat shield to a Kramer #1-1/2 (I own both in horsehide).
Your shield extends into the grip tang area which prevents the shooter from getting a solid grip while the gun is still holstered. The Kramer shield is at least 1/2"-3/4" smaller all the way around and does not interfere with getting a grip in any way. Having the shield extend beyond the edges of the slide all the way around is just adding bulk for no reason. Having it extend into the grip tang area is detrimental and a poor design. The Kramer shield keeps skin from touching metal but is still unobtrusive.
Now about the double thickness of your sweatshield. Again, it does nothing but add bulk.
You say the thickness is required for stiffness, if so then why does the Kramer only have one thin layer of horsehide. I've never had an issue with the Kramer shield flopping and I wore a #3 IWB daily for 3 years, in fact the shield is as stiff as it was when I took it out of the packaging.

You can plainly see from this picture of one of your Public Secrets that the sweatshiled interferes with getting a solid high grip.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/2011-12-02_12-41-43_679.jpg

I do think some of your designs are great, especially the Hideaway horsehide. Your steel clip is by far the best clip design on the market. If the Hideaway rode 3/4" higher off the belt line it's be one of the best AIWB holsters on the market. As is, it's much better than the Public Secret. But hack that sweatshield off the Public Secret and it'd be just about perfect.

About 1/3 of the Highnoon holster selection is top notch gear, 1/3 needs a few tweaks to be great. 1/3 is crap that caters to the lowest common denominator (and I'm sure those are some of your best sellers and I don't blame you at all for cataloging them).

Now that I've slammed some of your products and made fun of some of your customers I'll leave this post with a picture of my daily CCW combination.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/ccw-1.jpg

High Noon
12-04-2011, 13:46
We appreciate your review.

You should have posted that picture in your first post in this thread. It would have helped everyone understand what you are talking about including us. Here are a few key details :

1. The fact that the gun does not line up with our original molding marks.
2. If it did not work why didn't you call and let us know? Just a phone call or email away.
3. Why did you keep something you felt did not work? We have a 30 day return policy. Just a phone call or email away.

We are thinking about putting you in timeout for breaking the three rules, LOL, LOL. If something is not right, when brought to our attention, is fixable or returnable.

OK now look at Picture #1, do you see where our molding gun mark ends in your picture (blue arrows ). Look at the imprint. Your gun is nowhere near our molding marks. Your gun is not seated in that holster correctly. If you push it in hard it will line up with the original dummy gun molding marks. There is no way it cannot line up, unless you have the wrong Glock in there. Or the holster may not even be broken in.

In any case what you believe and are showing here, is not the way we designed it to be. Our pictures posted here tell a much different story and just go look on our site, you will see properly seated holsters.

Now look at Picture #2, the original picture we posted in this thread. It's perfect and looks nothing like your picture. It looks like the picture posted on our web site. By the way, Picture #2 came off the Defensive Carry Forum. That is a real customer. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/132251-your-favorite-single-clip-iwb-holster.html

Picture #3 comes off our web site.

"Now about the double thickness of your sweat shield. Again, it does nothing but add bulk."

You may not like it but it's an extreme duty holster. The various agencies and CC holders that buy this holster will disagree with you greatly. If one holster did it for everyone all holster makers would make just one holster. The fact is all of our needs, likes and dislikes are different.

"About 1/3 of the Highnoon holster selection is top notch gear, 1/3 needs a few tweaks to be great. 1/3 is crap that caters to the lowest common denominator (and I'm sure those are some of your best sellers and I don't blame you at all for cataloging them)."

We are in the holster manufacturing business. We need, as a supplier, to be able to satisfy everybody with their own person needs. What you want the holster to do does not mean that is what everyone wants the holster to do. We understand that and so we have a large spectrum of different holsters that serve different purposes. When a customer calls us and asks us for advise on choosing a holster some of the first things we ask are, "What job do you want it to do? Do you need one handed reholstering? Do you need a combat grip when drawing?" etc.,etc.

We disagree with you strongly on your assessment of our holster line. The holster you pick is based on the needs you require your holster to do. Some people need comfort and simplicity while others need an extreme duty holster. Neither one is wrong. Holsters are as personal as the gun you choose to carry, there is no one right holster for everyone.

NMGlocker
12-04-2011, 17:15
The gun only goes in the holster one way.
It's bottomed out and there's no play in any direction.
It's not user error.

Jade Falcon
12-04-2011, 20:15

Hey bro, check out this link and article:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/optimizing-appendix-carry/
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/combat-handguns.jpg

High Noon
12-05-2011, 11:21
The gun only goes in the holster one way.
It's bottomed out and there's no play in any direction.
It's not user error.

We know leather and at times it is an unpredictable material. User error or not, the problem has to be solved and it seems to be a break in process. The pictures you posted show us that the molding is correctly lined up where it should be. We were scratching our heads here when you first posted because we designed it, tested it and have had zero complaints with the guard getting in the way. We are glad this isolated mystery is solved.

Now to your problem. Apparently it's not breaking in properly or it would line up exactly with the original molding. Leather does shrink and expand during the molding and drying process. You are welcome to send it back, we will be happy to break it in for you. Just email or call and get a return number. Put my name on the invoice so I can personally handle it.

Please remember we cannot change the design intention of the holster. This may not be the right holster for you because you did mention it is "over built". Our extreme duty holsters have all the bells and whistles and again your holster choice is a personal decision according to your needs.

Anyway, your options are always on the table. We are here to help.

NMGlocker
12-05-2011, 16:55
This may not be the right holster for you because you did mention it is "over built". Our extreme duty holsters have all the bells and whistles and again your holster choice is a personal decision according to your needs.
I didn't say it was "over built", I said it was "needlessly bulky".
:cool:

As for "extreme duty", I have a Desbiens #4 hardcore horsehide... that's an extreme duty holster.

I appreciate the return offer and may take you up on it.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, just giving you unfiltered feedback from someone who shoots in excess of 30k rounds a year, does thousands of draws, attends several multi-day training classes a year, participates in full contact integrated combatives, teaches 12 CCW classes a year, shoots 3 competitions a month and carries a pistol all day every day.
And I'm looking for the one holster that can keep up with me and perform in all of the above disciplines to a high level.

High Noon
12-05-2011, 17:43
We appreciate the feedback from anyone with experience or even someone just starting out. It all helps us to make a better product.

isis07734
12-07-2011, 06:38
Have tried a Highnoon with sweat guard and agree, WAY too big. Trim it to the size of a Kramer and you'll sell more, promise.

Jade Falcon
12-07-2011, 19:43
Dekova, what knife are you carrying in that picture? Does it have a pivoting holster?