Good News from Kevin at Underwood Ammunition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good News from Kevin at Underwood Ammunition

4949shooter
11-23-2011, 05:05
Here is the response Kevin sent me when I inquired about a 200 grain XTP loaded to true 10 millimeter velocities:

Nick-

I have the 200gr Hornady XTP 10mm bullets in stock its already something we had in development.
They should be able to ship out sometime next week as long as weather cooperates and I can get my velocities tested. They should be around 1250fps.

As soon as they are available, they will be on the website.

Thanks!
Kevin

This is great news for those of us who don't reload..

G29SF
11-23-2011, 06:27
This is good news. From what I have read, Underwood is accurate with their velocities. This is only 75 fps away from Mike's "big load" 200gr XTPs, right in line with his next-down-from-the-top loading.

Probably gives manufacturers a safer feeling to sell to the general public. Still a sweet load. And if in line with the rest of Underwood's pricing, a great deal.

Thanks!

arushus
11-23-2011, 06:35
this is good news! wonder if there is any word on a 200gr hardcast?

4949shooter
11-23-2011, 06:38
I didn't ask about the hardcast, though he seems to be on top of what the market is demanding. I am wondering if he reads this forum Lol..

dryfly
11-23-2011, 06:52
Merry Christmas....Thats freakin cool. I wonder if he will be able to keep up with our orders ???

rcd567
11-23-2011, 08:18
I'm a fanboy...er fanoldman...is there such a thing????? At his prices, I'll keep shooting his stuff first and foremost. I realize his loads aren't nuclear, but they are good and stout. Remember, the REAL winner of the 1987 FBI extensive testing was the 170gr. hollow point traveling at 1300fps. Not nuclear either, but the best performer in a series of federally funded tests.

Keep up the good work Kevin!:thumbsup:

TreyG-20
11-23-2011, 08:25
Sweet!!

4949shooter
11-23-2011, 09:17
I'm a fanboy...er fanoldman...is there such a thing????? At his prices, I'll keep shooting his stuff first and foremost. I realize his loads aren't nuclear, but they are good and stout. Remember, the REAL winner of the 1987 FBI extensive testing was the 170gr. hollow point traveling at 1300fps. Not nuclear either, but the best performer in a series of federally funded tests.

Keep up the good work Kevin!:thumbsup:

Absolutely. After reading some threads on G20/29's KBing, I think we will do fine with stout (as opposed to nuclear) loads. I don't think the bear, etc. will notice much difference.

Does anyone know which load the G29 KB'd with back in February? Was that one of the nukes, or was it a standard velocity 10 MM load?

G29SF
11-23-2011, 10:07
Absolutely. After reading some threads on G20/29's KBing, I think we will do fine with stout (as opposed to nuclear) loads. I don't think the bear, etc. will notice much difference.

Does anyone know which load the G29 KB'd with back in February? Was that one of the nukes, or was it a standard velocity 10 MM load?

Good question. I will do a little searching...

4949shooter
11-23-2011, 12:57
Good question. I will do a little searching...

Sounds good, thanks.

Kegs
11-23-2011, 13:49
Good news indeed. That is a full house load in my opinion. Maybe not quite as full house as Swamp foxes, but 1250 is within the arena of what I load my own 200s (based on a ~4 1/2" bbl.). That is a safe and effective energy level for the 10mms and Glocks with aftermarket supported barrels.

As for the swampfox load that caused the KB in the G29 that was one of the 200s and it was before (the very reason actually) he separated the "for supported barrels only" and "stock glock barrel" ammo - and I believe mudrush also suggested that particular load was only safe in the G20s and not the G29s - as to what level it was loaded to, I am unsure of that info.

post-apocalyptic
11-24-2011, 02:17
It sounds as though 200gr rnds were already in development, (as I'd expect considering how Underwood is expanding its 10mm line), but you're welcome for the suggestion. :supergrin:

This is great news! The Underwood 180gr and 165gr rnds I've fired have performed extremely well. I can't wait to get some of these and Underwood's new 135gr noslers.

post-apocalyptic
11-24-2011, 02:24
...That is a safe and effective energy level for the 10mms and Glocks with aftermarket supported barrels..

I've fired a few hundred rnds of 180gr, (1300fps from a 4.6" barrel), and 165gr, (1400fps from a 4.6" barrel), Underwood through my G20-SF's stock barrel and my 6" Glock barrel without even a hint of possible overpressure.

The 200gr Underwood rnds will be quite safe to fire from Glock barrels. ;)

4949shooter
11-24-2011, 03:22
It sounds as though 200gr rnds were already in development, (as I'd expect considering how Underwood is expanding its 10mm line), but you're welcome for the suggestion. :supergrin:

:supergrin: Lol good suggestion anyway! At least now we know ahead of time what's coming down the pipe.

Hawkeye shooter
11-24-2011, 05:17
This is really great news!! I'm very excited to see more "real" 10mm ammo for sale. I can't wait to try some of Kevin's 135 grn Noslers. I'll probably get some of his 165 grn hp's too. This will probably be my go to source since I can't get anymore Swampfox stuff:crying:.

TRaGiK
11-24-2011, 09:32
... Underwood through my G20-SF's stock barrel and my 6" Glock barrel without even a hint of possible overpressure.

That's definately not been my experience, nor a friend of mine that has shot some.

I've ran through about 50 rounds of Underwoods 180gr ammo, and get smiley's and flattened primers on about 1/3 of the brass.

With that said, it's not so bad that it's alarming to me, but is bad enough that I won't reuse the brass.

I'd definately buy more of his stuff if I didn't recently start reloading for 10.

notjustanothermini
11-24-2011, 10:03
I too, tun underwood ammo through a stock g29 barrel. the brass comes out nice and straight, no smiles at all. and you know the difference when you shoot his fodder compared to silvertips.

dryfly
11-24-2011, 14:40
Kevin responded to me today...Thanksgiving Day no less. I inquired about the 200gr xtp and he informed me he is working on it to be on his website next week. I will say I was skeptical at first...and still might be...cheap prices...arushus having feeding issues...post apolyptic wearing a dress....but with Swamp Fox gone I am in for the 200 gr XTP and HC when they come out ! Happy Holidays gang... and shoot and salute to Swamp Fox !!!

Aloxite
11-24-2011, 15:32
Anyone know what cases he is using? I might buy some so I can measure the case head expansion if he is using Starline.

arushus
11-24-2011, 16:04
Anyone know what cases he is using? I might buy some so I can measure the case head expansion if he is using Starline.

My cases were starline on my 180gr fmj's...

kjunderwood
11-24-2011, 16:07
I didn't ask about the hardcast, though he seems to be on top of what the market is demanding. I am wondering if he reads this forum Lol..

I actually just signed up for an account yesterday.

notjustanothermini
11-24-2011, 16:16
starline on my 165g JHP's from underwood.

swamp fox gone? what happened

TRaGiK
11-24-2011, 16:22
Yup...he uses starline.

arushus
11-24-2011, 17:03
starline on my 165g JHP's from underwood.

swamp fox gone? what happened

the owner/operator mike willard had a heart attack and passed away...

arushus
11-24-2011, 17:13

That was a smart move! This forum is a great way to keep a good feeling of what is going on in the market, especially the 10mm market! We 10mm enthusiasts tend to be VERY loyal to companies whose ammunition actually meets the velocities they say it will...

glock20hunter
11-24-2011, 18:10
wow, I've been paying an arm and a leg for my Buffalo Bore. I hope these are legit loads! I don't mind using BB strictly for my deer load but that's it. A 200gr XTP might cause me to switch. I dont reload and refuse to use the watered down Hornady loads....except for personal defense.

I'm going to order some 180 Golden Sabres and see how I like them.

hobbydad
11-24-2011, 18:23
Yeah, Starline brass on the 180's I just recieved. Took 100 to the range today to shoot with the kids, all I can say is WOW. We love the G29.

kjunderwood
11-24-2011, 18:34
That was a smart move! This forum is a great way to keep a good feeling of what is going on in the market, especially the 10mm market! We 10mm enthusiasts tend to be VERY loyal to companies whose ammunition actually meets the velocities they say it will...

Today on our Facebook page we had a tester upload his data after Chrony testing the 135gr Nosler's - all of it is open for viewing. (Along with some 357 data).

4949shooter
11-24-2011, 18:44

Welcome aboard Kevin. :welcome:

inspectorjj
11-24-2011, 18:48
Today on our Facebook page we had a tester upload his data after Chrony testing the 135gr Nosler's - all of it is open for viewing. (Along with some 357 data).

.357 data!! We don't need no stinkin' .357 data....LOL. I just had to say that. Dude you need to sell me some ammo in Playa Del Rey. Heck, I'm lucky enough to even still have my G20 beast thanks to a few friends.

Taterhead
11-24-2011, 19:16

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Although I handload everything I shoot, you are already creating a loyal following among us 10mm fans. This forum is a nice way to stay connected.

Good luck with your ammunition business. I have heard nothing but positive feedback thus far.

post-apocalyptic
11-24-2011, 19:21

Welcome, Kevin!

I've been a big proponent of your 10mm ammo ever since I first tried it. It's true full-power, (or "full house" if you prefer), :50cal: ammo for a lower cost than the watered down factory crap, e.g. Remington UMC. You're to be commended for that accomplishment!! :rock:

From my stock G20/SF, (4.6" and 6" Glock barrels); I've had flawless performance with 180gr FMJ and JHP Underwood rnds, as well as your 165gr JHP.

I usually shoot at targets that are a little more "interesting" than paper, e.g. cinderblocks, various bottles filled with water, etc. Based on my "testing"; Underwood 180gr FMJs'll blow a new block into ~4, (or more), big pieces with 2 shots, while 165gr JHPs affect water-filled bottles in a very "dynamic" fashion, (plastic's shredded, glass simply detonates, stand back >20 yds when shooting glass with this).

Keep up the fantastic work and you'll dominate the market. I eagerly await new 10mm options from Underwood Ammo. :thumbsup:

SolidBrass
11-24-2011, 19:57

Welcome Kevin. I own your ammo too. How about a hardcast flatnose bear round? (think Yellowstore region or Alaska, medium sized game, or hog hunting down south)

Here's a link to my photo of your business card. 10 ring talk of late looks like you will have pleanty of holliday business.:supergrin:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=220622&d=1322016340

post-apocalyptic
11-24-2011, 20:17
That's definately not been my experience, nor a friend of mine that has shot some.

I've ran through about 50 rounds of Underwoods 180gr ammo, and get smiley's and flattened primers on about 1/3 of the brass.

With that said, it's not so bad that it's alarming to me, but is bad enough that I won't reuse the brass.

I'd definately buy more of his stuff if I didn't recently start reloading for 10.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5986/putinohrly.jpg

It seems that you and your friend are the exceptions to the rule, as I've never heard about anyone else having flattened primers and/or smiles with Underwood.. out of hundreds of rnds fired, I certainly haven't.. not once. Concerning your pistols; Id be interested in a few more details. Gen 2, 3... 20, 29.. what're we talking about? :dunno:

TRaGiK
11-24-2011, 21:12
It seems that you and your friend are the exceptions to the rule, as I've never heard about anyone else having flattened primers and/or smiles with Underwood.. out of hundreds of rnds fired, I certainly haven't.. not once. Concerning your pistols; Id be interested in a few more details. Gen 2, 3... 20, 29.. what're we talking about? :dunno:

Both 20SF's. Mine is a recent production (manufactured a month or so ago), and his was bought 2 or 3 years ago.

I THINK I've got one piece of the bulged/flattened brass that I haven't tossed. If I can find it, I'll take a pic and post it.

Again, it's not really bad, but is noticable.

arushus
11-24-2011, 21:26
All of my 10mm cases are bulged somewhat, theyre supposed to be, that's what ammunition does when you set off the controlled explosion inside the case. It's only when it is really bulged that you should be somewhat alarmed. All of my underwood, and swampfox cases have very small glocksmile imprints on the cases, nothing that would keep them from being reloaded in my opinion...

SolidBrass
11-24-2011, 21:33
All of my 10mm cases are bulged somewhat, theyre supposed to be, that's what ammunition does when you set off the controlled explosion inside the case. It's only when it is really bulged that you should be somewhat alarmed. All of my underwood, and swampfox cases have very small glocksmile imprints on the cases, nothing that would keep them from being reloaded in my opinion...

Agreed. Want unfowled, nice brass? Shoot the 450 ftlbs factory stuff.

kjunderwood
11-25-2011, 08:27
Thanks, all, for the kind reception.
I enjoy reading the boards and look forward to doing some participation with them.

rcd567
11-25-2011, 08:51

You Da'Man! Uhm, have you noticed your getting a little low on my favorite ammo? 10mm, 165gr. JHP. Might want to load up a little more of that particular round. Thanks.

peterj
11-25-2011, 10:09
Welcome Kevin! I just placed a holiday order.

notjustanothermini
11-25-2011, 17:03
about a month ago, i ordered 4 boxes of 165g JHP's from underwood. so far i have shot them out of my glock 29 (factory barrel), EAA witness full size (4.5" i think, with 22lbs spring), megastar, and AMT backup 10mm (converted from .40). all ran fine no jams i burnt up 100 rounds through the 4 guns, the only gun that didnt see any action was the polymer witness.

not any bulge at all, from any guns, including glock.

they bite like hell in the amt backup though.

got a para ord. p14 .40sw coming from BudsGunShop i got my finish chamber reamer. so as soon as the gun gets hear i will shoot the remaining 100 rounds out of it. probably going to tune it with the underwood 165g JHP's

any ideas on what else i need to do other than a chamber reaming and recoil spring change for the para. it is the midsize barrel i believe 4"-ish.

Aloxite
11-25-2011, 18:14
Glad to hear he uses Starline. I've been wanting to get some reasonably hot ammo that is within pressure specs to measure for the Waters method. But man, his prices are so reasonable that I could see buying some for my carry ammo. Once I see 200 grain XTPs and 135 Noslers in stock at the same time I will put in an order.

Aloxite
11-25-2011, 18:27
Hey kjunderwood. Do you mind me asking what manufacturer you are using for ammo where the manufacturer of the bullets isn't listed? My guess is that they are Montana Gold. That's what I would use. Nothing wrong with that at all. With the prices you are charging I can't imagine anything more expensive being used. I'm just curious.

kjunderwood
11-25-2011, 19:31
Hey kjunderwood. Do you mind me asking what manufacturer you are using for ammo where the manufacturer of the bullets isn't listed? My guess is that they are Montana Gold. That's what I would use. Nothing wrong with that at all. With the prices you are charging I can't imagine anything more expensive being used. I'm just curious.

Can you give me a specific caliber?
The 10mm's that aren't listed are Winchester JHP - if it is another round just let me know.

post-apocalyptic
11-25-2011, 19:54
...It's only when it is really bulged that you should be somewhat alarmed. All of my underwood, and swampfox cases have very small glocksmile imprints on the cases, nothing that would keep them from being reloaded in my opinion...

Edit: Reexamined fired casings, see post below.

arushus
11-25-2011, 20:58
Really? You get some tiny smiles as well? Wow, I guess I got lucky twice with my Glock barrels. :dunno: My G20/SF was test-fired on 6/16/11, and I get zero smiles or any other damage to the brass, (except that my extractor likes to shave a little brass off the rims). I'm not sure when my 6" Glock Hunter barrel was made, (SN L648XX), recently I'd assume.

Results are the same with either barrel when firing Underwood.. flawless performance, the unmarred brass tossed ~10 ft at 4'o'clock.

Do you think people are making this stuff up or we're seeing things? Just cuz you didnt experience it does not mean it does not happen. My guess is you are either getting lucky, or not looking in the right place on the case. They are very small and can easily go unnoticed. It is only noticeable on about half of my cases.
It doesnt say anything bad about the ammo, it is actually a good sign that it truly is full power. So dont worry, we're not talking bad about your precious underwood ammo.

SolidBrass
11-25-2011, 21:24
Do you think people are making this stuff up or we're seeing things? Just cuz you didnt experience it does not mean it does not happen. My guess is you are either getting lucky, or not looking in the right place on the case. They are very small and can easily go unnoticed. It is only noticeable on about half of my cases.
It doesnt say anything bad about the ammo, it is actually a good sign that it truly is full power. So dont worry, we're not talking bad about your precious underwood ammo.

What does the ammo's maker have to do with 'Glock smiles'? I would guess brass is brass, it's the power of the loading that makes the dents.

Like I said, weak ammo leaves nice, un-fouled brass. If your goal is easier reloads.

arushus
11-25-2011, 21:29
What does the ammo's maker have to do with 'Glock smiles'? I would guess brass is brass, it's the power of the loading that makes the dents.

Like I said, weak ammo leaves nice, un-fouled brass. If your goal is easier reloads.

It doesnt, it only has to do with how powerful said ammo maker makes the ammunition. I only brought underwood ammunition into my statement because it almost seems like post-ap takes it personally when somebody mentions underwood ammo in the slightest bad light...such as saying the spent casings from their underwood ammo have small glocksmile imprints on them...when that is really more of a compliment and a statement about how truly powerful the ammo is...

post-apocalyptic
11-25-2011, 21:37

:shakehead:

Settle down, arushus. I'm not saying that others are wrong or that I think a tiny "smile" means that there's any problems with the ammo.

I was just bragging on my barrels.. but ya know what.. just now, I picked out 10 random pieces of fired Underwood brass, and on 4 of them I can just barely see a hint of a smile. It's not even enough to be visible in profile, but it's there.

arushus
11-25-2011, 21:42
:shakehead:

Settle down, arushus. I'm not saying that others are wrong or that I think a tiny "smile" means that there's any problems with the ammo.

I was just bragging on my barrels.. but ya know what.. just now, I picked out 10 random pieces of fired Underwood brass, and on 4 of them I can just barely see a hint of a smile. It's not even enough to be visible in profile, but it's there.

Ya, theyre not even visible enough to show up in pictures, Ive tried...I believe that is what people refer to when they talk about small or tiny glocksmiles, at least I think so...who knows?

arushus
11-25-2011, 21:46
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TFRDZ5G6ydE/TVSKhn7_KHI/AAAAAAAAB0s/WywPH7W4SXs/s320/gollum_and_ring.jpg

post-apocalyptic with his underwood ammo...

arushus
11-25-2011, 21:52
just got the email...the 135 noslers are available!!!!!!!!

hobbydad
11-25-2011, 22:04
I shot 100rds of the 180gr ball thursday, and I had smiles/buldges from my g29. I was planning on picking up the brass to save for reloads down the road, but when I picked up the first 10 they where almost all buldged with smiles. I figured oh well, and left the brass there. I am very happy with the rounds, made me grin from ear to ear seeing 14" steel plates almost flipping off the chains from 25 yards. I have no complaints, I wanted real 10mm rounds, and that's what I got. I'll be ordering again, and again. Thanks Mr. Underwood.

G29 info for anyone that's interested, bone stock Gen3 (non SF), maybe 600rds down the pipe.

SolidBrass
11-25-2011, 22:06
Ya, theyre not even visible enough to show up in pictures, Ive tried...I believe that is what people refer to when they talk about small or tiny glocksmiles, at least I think so...who knows?

Maybe they are defensive when the title of the post is "Good News from Kevin at Underwood Ammunition"

Probably mostly read by Underwood fans.

I'll be picking up some of the XTP 200gn for sure. Still want a hardcast round in the 200+ range. :)

"The XTP is designed to expand about 1.5 times its original diameter and I believe it was the first JHP that "passed" the FBI's requirement of 12" penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin." Of course that was with a weaker round than 10mm.

I'm sorry arushus, if that was harsh. The "hater" comment goes back to the previous Underwood tread invaded by (now no more) Swampfox people. RIP

arushus
11-25-2011, 22:08
deleted

cowboywannabe
11-25-2011, 22:26
hes got good prices on heavy .44 special ammo too!

4949shooter
11-26-2011, 05:22
Guys, if you recall on another thread I looked into requesting Hornady to up the velocity on their 200 grain XTP to true (or near true) 10MM velocity. The reason I did this is because of the recent and unfortunate demise of Mike Willard. I need a heavy 10MM XTP for my purposes, which are woods protection/backup gun. Swampfox offered the ammo combination I was looking for. Now due to the fact that Hornady would not honor my suggestion, Past Apocolyptic suggested I check with Kevin at Underwood, so this is what I did. Kevin had informed me that the 200 grain XTP was already in the works. I appreciate this because the only other offering I had at my disposal was a 180 grain from Hornady at 1180, which is decent but not quite up to the task.

Now, some of us may be loyal to Swampfox ammo. I get that and I can appreciate loyalty because I think it has become a lost virtue in today's society. But I can say this, in that with the demise of Mike and Swampfox, I am damn happy there is another manufacturer out there who is willing to meet the demands of the 10 MM shooter who doesn't have the time or inclination to reload.

My opinion is that we take this as a "win" for the 10MM crowd. And one last note... I didn't see Kevin join up here at Glocktalk trying to solicit business away from Mike Willard when he was still alive. This is something to think about.

TreyG-20
11-26-2011, 07:20
just got the email...the 135 noslers are available!!!!!!!!
Yup i got it too. I wonder how long they will last?

SolidBrass
11-29-2011, 19:41
Yup i got it too. I wonder how long they will last?

We simply need more 10mm people to create more market. (showing it at the range helps) Everyone should keep requesting high power loads from the big brands. Meanwhile I'm glad we still have an option.