A2 Gas Block Butcher [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A2 Gas Block Butcher

Skadoosh
11-23-2011, 10:30
Hey, I know some of you guys cut down your A2 front sights rather than buying a low-pro gas block. If I couldn't get a grinder could I sufficiently do this with a Hacksaw and some files? Also, you guys have any pics of what it should look like after it's done?

Clint-M
11-23-2011, 10:41
Yes you can, but it will probably be more of a hassle than it is worth when you can buy one for $20. Here's a link to a guide I followed cutting down one for a buddy of mine.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=523157

CM

Bushflyr
11-23-2011, 11:34
Easily done and totally worth it. The benefit to a chopped A2, besides being free, is that it's already taper pinned perfectly for your barrel. It doesn't get any better than that.

faawrenchbndr
11-23-2011, 16:17
Easily done and totally worth it. The benefit to a chopped A2, besides being free,
is that it's already taper pinned perfectly for your barrel. It doesn't get any better than that.

Very good points! Pins beat set screws by a factor of 10!

humanguerrilla
11-23-2011, 16:50
If it is a gun I had money in, I'd at least have it done right by a professional for under $40 or buy the taper pin reamer and jig and do a more professional job myself rather than turn it into one of these Super Spec Bubba Internet hackjobs. Even the factory Bushmasters with the cut front sight look ridiculous. Save the grinding for the AKs.

$29.95
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1655

Low pro jigs
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=black+rifle+disease/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=black_rifle_disease

[P.S. ar15 link above is the best of these grind jobs I've seen though]

Bushflyr
11-24-2011, 23:45
Seriously, who really cares how it looks? The only purpose to chopping one is if you're going to be hiding it under a handguard. You'll never notice what it looks like.

faawrenchbndr
11-25-2011, 05:11
Seriously, who really cares how it looks? The only purpose to chopping one is if you're going to be hiding it under a handguard. You'll never notice what it looks like.

Very good point,.......and it is VERY easy to contour a FSB to look as
good as the one in the ARFcom link.

JBaird22
11-25-2011, 11:09
I've cut down a FSB for a guy and it turned out good. Just be sure to re-coat it with something. While a hacksaw and a file set would not be the way I would want to go, I think it would be doable. Now would be about the time for a dremel so you can police and grind all sorts of things.

HAIL CAESAR
11-25-2011, 12:51
Hacksaw and file/dremel/or grinder to finish. No better gas block to be had.

crazymoose
11-25-2011, 18:07
Definitely go Dremel. I wore out a few grinding wheels doing mine. I imagine a hacksaw would be tough and would take time, but it's doable, I know guys who've done it that way. On the plus side, you'd have forearms like Popeye by the time you were done. And I agree, who cares about looks?

Also good advice to re-coat it. I sent mine in to be parkerized, but hi-temp engine paint is good, too.

HAIL CAESAR
11-25-2011, 18:24
A good hacksaw blade will be quicker than a dremel. And with a dremel you can easily slip and gnaw ins the barrel.

BBJones
11-25-2011, 19:49
hacksaw for the big cutting and dremel to finish. Really easy to do. I have done a few.

M1A Shooter
11-25-2011, 20:20
I didn't clean mine up really well because I was hiding it. I cut the a frame off with a hacksaw and then cleaned it up a bit with a dremel. Works ok but not sure I'd do it again vs buy a low pro. I guess the pins are the only real benefit.

Suburban
11-25-2011, 21:27

This.

I'm pretty picky, but the hack-job that I sprayed with black BBQ paint is covered by a rifle-length handguard, and I forget that it's there. Besides, I still have 95% of a bayonet lug, which would surely keep Brady, Pelosi, Schumer, Obama, Biden, Lautenberg, and Bloomberg up at night, which makes me :).

I did most of the work with a hacksaw and a coarse-tooth file. Not that big of a deal. I think the more work I put into it, the worse it started to look, so keep it simple.

I couldn't find one of simple pin-on gas blocks that Bushmaster uses. I don't trust the set-screw blocks, and the steel clamp-on ones aren't that cheap.