AR mags for a noob? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR mags for a noob?

mhunter
11-23-2011, 11:39
Finally just ordered my first AR. What magazines are "in" these days for a new AR shooter? I don't need über tough super warrior spec stuff. Just mags that are reliable (meaning stay loaded and still function without a weakened spring) and don't cost a fortune.

Glockdude1
11-23-2011, 11:44
PMAGS.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG211Blk

http://www.aimsurplus.com/eos/images/product/mmag211d.jpg

:thumbsup:

Clint-M
11-23-2011, 11:45
I don't need über tough super warrior spec stuff.

You're going to fit it well here. Get some Pmags and be done with it.

CM

mvician
11-23-2011, 11:55
I don't need über tough super warrior spec stuff.

You're going to fit it well here. Get some Pmags and be done with it.

CM

But PMags are uber tough super warrior spec stuff. :supergrin:

mvician
11-23-2011, 11:58
seriously.........2 page thread about halfway down the page.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382272

mhunter
11-23-2011, 12:00
But PMags are uber tough super warrior spec stuff. :supergrin:

Good to know. :rofl:

And, another ultimate noob AR mag question... :wow:

Are .223 and 5.56 mags considered interchangeable? My AR is 5.56, but I expect to be shooting a lot of .223. I looked on Amazon and saw the .223 PMags and never even thought about the difference until I saw that.

Disregarded9-side
11-23-2011, 12:08
^Yes they're the same size cartridge externally. 5.56 is the NATO term for .223; our military developed the 5.56 round around the pre-existing .223 Remington cartridge.

The case of the 5.56x45mm has thicker walls than the .223 Remington. This is important to know if you reload.

Buy PMags and only PMags. I really like the 20-rounders.

boomhower
11-23-2011, 14:17
PMAGs rock. If you want a lot for cheap go over to dsgarms.com and get there 10/$85 GI mags. They are very good quality and for $8.50 a pop it's hard to beat.

mhunter
11-23-2011, 14:18
Buy PMags and only PMags. I really like the 20-rounders.

Why over the preference over 30 round mags? Just easier to keep track of loading because it's a 20 rd box per mag?

AK_Stick
11-23-2011, 14:31
P-mags are good.

USGI mags are pretty good.

I would avoid the H&K mags. Cost alot, benefit very little, short life.

mhunter
11-23-2011, 14:33
P-mags are good.

USGI mags are pretty good.

I would avoid the H&K mags. Cost alot, benefit very little, short life.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! PMags it is. Just ordered 5 for $13.95/ea off Amazon.

drizzle
11-23-2011, 14:37
I like 20 rounders, both because they match up to a box of ammo, and when you're shooting off of the bench, the 20 rounders fit a bit better.

I'd been having some trouble lately with reliability (double feeds or no feed from the magazine), so i took all of my active mags to the range today. Of course, when my friends aren't trying to fire it, they all run fine, PMag or GI, 20 or 30 rounder.

At the end of the day, though, they're expendable. If you have too much trouble with one, either throw it away or buy a new spring and follower for it.

mhunter
11-23-2011, 14:42
I like 20 rounders, both because they match up to a box of ammo, and when you're shooting off of the bench, the 20 rounders fit a bit better.

Bench shooting... I didn't think of that. Thanks for bringing it up.

At the end of the day, though, they're expendable. If you have too much trouble with one, either throw it away or buy a new spring and follower for it.

With the HUGE potential of another POS President elected next year? I won't be throwing anything "hi-cap" away. I remember the AWB days of $90-100 G19 mags. :steamed:

mvician
11-23-2011, 14:55
With the HUGE potential of another POS President elected next year? I won't be throwing anything "hi-cap" away. I remember the AWB days of $90-100 G19 mags. :steamed:

Buy 'em cheap....stack 'em deep

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150522.jpg

mhunter
11-23-2011, 14:56
Buy 'em cheap....stack 'em deep

Yup. I have a couple dozen G19 mags when they went down to $20/ea after Sep 2004. I have five 30 rd PMags on the way. Once they're "vetted", a bulk order will ensue. :cool:

Now, what to do with all those 5.45 AK-74 mags and ammo tins? Oh yeah...they're already "stacked". :rofl:

MARSH1
11-23-2011, 17:57
We have the new Troy mags in our Black Friday promo for $8.99.

Marshall

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Magazines_s/711.htm

halfmoonclip
11-23-2011, 18:43
Go GI or NHMTG. Can't beat 'em for the money; I've had some loaded for years, and they work just fine.
Moon

Spiffums
11-23-2011, 19:34
Best "noob" advise you can get is "Buy from reputable vendors!" Bravo, Primary Arms, Midway ect. You might have to pay 50 cents to a buck more for something but you know your not getting a ChiCom knockoff and that your stuff will show up.

Kcolg
11-23-2011, 20:18
44mag.com and JoeBobOutfitters are also good reputable vendors with good pricing.

samuse
11-23-2011, 22:57
Best mags I've used (as in always feed and drop free)

PMAGS and NHMTG with Magpul followers.

boomhower
11-23-2011, 23:09
Those Troy mags that PA has on sale are GTG as well.

I have had a lot of trouble with 20 round PMAGs, I have seen a lot of others with the same issue. 30 rounders are great but I would avoid the 20's.

FatBoy
11-24-2011, 03:53
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGB10A.aspx
Ship for free for Black Friday sale. Best deal right now.

PMags are great too.

FB

wdphillips
11-24-2011, 09:07
Thanks to everyone for all the help! PMags it is. Just ordered 5 for $13.95/ea off Amazon.

That is where I purchased mine! With 2 day free shipping, very convenient!

Having never used PMags, my short use of them has impressed me. I have used them both in my Colt and Bushmaster. They look, feel and function great.

Suburban
11-25-2011, 23:12
If you are bored, and want something to read. . . my AR mag article (http://suburbansdomain.blogspot.com/2009/08/ar-15-magazines.html)

american lockpicker
11-26-2011, 07:20
Pmags or Emags(both made by Magpul.)

WoodenPlank
11-26-2011, 13:45
PMAGs, hands down. Cheap, reliable, easy to disassemble/clean, and no problems with fit/drop. If you leave them loaded for a prolonged period, it's a good idea to use the included snap-on cover. I have quite a few that have been left loaded for extended periods without them, though, and no signs of deformation or failure.

Fenris Wolf
11-26-2011, 16:03
I have one PMAG and two Lancers. Excellent mags.
I have around 30 GI mags (20 and 30 rnd) from various manufacturers, with both black and green followers. No idea how old some of them might be. Nary a problem.

Lord270
11-26-2011, 16:15
The deal that sportmans guide is also good. 10 thermold mags for 60 bucks. They last long, are 6 dollars a piece, and have been around a lot longer than p-mags

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Suburban
11-26-2011, 19:29
The deal that sportmans guide is also good. 10 thermold mags for 60 bucks. They last long, are 6 dollars a piece, and have been around a lot longer than p-mags

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Thermelts? Yuck! You may find some that function, but most of them won't drop free. . . unless maybe they've changed them since 2004. The feed lips tended to spread if left loaded. If you dropped one, either the feed lips or baseplate would break.

There's a reason that polymer AR mags didn't catch on until Magpul introduced the PMag.

M4Carbine.net Thermold thread #1. (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6855) M4Carbine.net Thermold thread #2 (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17090&highlight=thermold). Personally, I don't have time to mess with disposable range mags.

mixflip
11-26-2011, 20:26
The strength of your rifle lies in its magazines, bolt & BCG and barrel. Go cheap on any of these items and your gun will fail sooner than later.

I have seen $2000 guns go down because of cheap or neglected magazines. Pmags are incredible for the price you pay for them...($12/$15 bucks for top quality reliable battle proven mags??? Its a no brainer)

Many shooters often refuse to retire seriously worn out mags. Im one of them lol. They just cant let them go for some reason and they often pay a price for that mistake.

Nutt51
11-30-2011, 12:48
Agree, P-MAGS.

I have some Brownells mags, but prefer the P-Mags.

I have a mix.

20 rounders for the range, and 30 rounders for Zombie or SHTF times.

Wait for a sale from one of the above mentioned dealers, and stock up.

mhunter
11-30-2011, 13:39
Wait for a sale from one of the above mentioned dealers, and stock up.

What's a good "sale price" for PMags? I already got some off Amazon for $13.95/ea, which I thought was a pretty good price. I didn't realize they came with those pop-top covers. Those are cool! :supergrin:

Chowser
11-30-2011, 14:04
Dang, I missed the Primary Arms sale on Troy mags. I bought ten PMags from Brownells last month.

hmm, the pmag 10 pack is showing $140. I could've sworn I got them cheaper, I thought it worked out to $10/mag. Will have to dig up my receipt.

Jayock
12-01-2011, 18:26
Maybe I've been lucky, but between GI, Pmags, Troy Mags, C Products (Cheap as dirt), and AR Stoner, I haven't had a single failure in 25k rounds through a couple rifles. Occasionally I'll get a bolt forward on empty from one single troy mag that I've marked, but even that one mag only gets that 2% of the time. It gets retired to slow shooting range use only.

I almost always leave them loaded between range trips too.

I've come to the decision that I'll buy whatever looks good and is cheap. Maybe my mind will be changed one day when I get a bad lot of something or another.

silvrevo
12-01-2011, 19:51
No need to call yourself a nub ,, just ask away makes others that are new, like myself feel welcomed.

Pretty nice bunch here.

WoodenPlank
12-01-2011, 19:55
No need to call yourself a nub ,, just ask away makes others that are new, like myself feel welcomed.

Pretty nice bunch here.

Heh, you haven't been around long enough to really seen the fangs, claws and venom start flying yet.

Glockdude1
12-01-2011, 19:57
Heh, you haven't been around long enough to really seen the fangs, claws and venom start flying yet.

That is when the "chart" gets posted........

:tongueout:

RRrider
12-01-2011, 19:58
Love PMags. Magpul makes a log of good accessories

WoodenPlank
12-01-2011, 20:02
That is when the "chart" gets posted........

:tongueout:

That's one way to do it. :whistling:

mhunter
12-01-2011, 20:26

It's MUCH worse on ARFCOM. :wow:

This place is like kindergarten, in comparison. Heck, we aren't even allowed to cuss here.

WoodenPlank
12-01-2011, 20:28
It's MUCH worse on ARFCOM. :wow:

This place is like kindergarten, in comparison. Heck, we aren't even allowed to cuss here.

LAV summed up my thoughts on ARFCOM quite nicely. There is some good info over there, but it's vastly drowned out by pissing contests and stupidity. At this point, if I need info, I have too many friends "in the know" that I can easily ask by phone call or email - no need to deal with that BS.

mhunter
12-01-2011, 20:35
LAV summed up my thoughts on ARFCOM quite nicely. There is some good info over there, but it's vastly drowned out by pissing contests and stupidity. At this point, if I need info, I have too many friends "in the know" that I can easily ask by phone call or email - no need to deal with that BS.

True. I've used other forums as "info resources only" before. No sense in trying to play "nice participating member" because it's a waste of time. Just duck in, ask my question(s), screen the responses for anything useful and duck out. Wash, rinse, repeat... That's it.

WoodenPlank
12-01-2011, 21:24
True. I've used other forums as "info resources only" before. No sense in trying to play "nice participating member" because it's a waste of time. Just duck in, ask my question(s), screen the responses for anything useful and duck out. Wash, rinse, repeat... That's it.

I don't even bother posting over there. Some of the main info posts (like the heavy weight ammo info) are worth a read, but it's usually not even worth posting.

mhunter
12-01-2011, 21:56
I don't even bother posting over there. Some of the main info posts (like the heavy weight ammo info) are worth a read, but it's usually not even worth posting.

I can't post at ARFCOM. I used my one "real" email address and they never verified/activated my account. I do cruise by from time to time for technical info in the various firearm specific forums. Some of the GD reading can be interesting at times, too. :rofl: