CCW License for military [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW License for military

bfsmith7
11-23-2011, 12:59
I live in Ohio and plan on getting my license when i return next year from Afghanistan. The publication put out by the Ohio Attorney General (http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/concealedcarrybook) states:

"Before you obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun, you will need
proof of your competency certification. Competency can be established by
providing one of the following: ...A document that shows the applicant is an active or reserve member of the armed forces, or was honorably discharged within the past six years... who, through the position, acquired experience with handguns or other firearms that was equivalent to the minimum educational requirements."

My question is, what qualifies as "a document that shows..."? Is a current military ID enough? If not, what else is required? As an infantryman I am sure that my firearms experience is "equivalent to the minimum educational requirements," but how do I prove it?

(Also, while we're at it, if anyone has any insight into how to obtain the Glock military discount and how much i could expect to pay for a G26 it would be appreciated.)

Thank you!

eaglefrq
11-23-2011, 13:09
In VA an Active Mil ID will work, so I would assume it's the same for OH.

Do you have anything showing the course of instruction from your schools? Do they make a entry in your service record showing successful completion of your infantry school? If so, get a copy of that page and it should work.

As far as the mil discount, you are eligible to purchase the "blue label" Glock. You just have to find a dealer in your area that is an authorized Glock LE retailer. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, and I can't remember what I paid, but I remember it was approx. $50-$75 cheaper (I think) than the red label guns.

This is a store in Columbus is a blue label dealer.
http://www.vancesle.com/products2.cfm/ID/22051/c/firearms-pistols/brand/GLOCK

ETA: Here is a link that might be helpful

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813534

carloglock19
11-23-2011, 13:16
You may also present documentation that proves you are an active or reserve member of the U.S. Military, you have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Military within the past 6 years, or you a retired law enforcement officer and have experience handling handguns that is equivalent to the training requirements.

R4lf
11-23-2011, 14:34
You may also present documentation that proves you are an active or reserve member of the U.S. Military, you have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Military within the past 6 years, or you a retired law enforcement officer and have experience handling handguns that is equivalent to the training requirements.

Weird, the OP posted almost that exact quote. I'm thinking he already knows that.

For me, I had the option to provide my CATM, not sure your equivalent, score card for M9 training.

V/R,
R4lf

John Biltz
11-23-2011, 15:55
If you are talking about getting it after you get out your DD214 should take care of it. Its the go to document after you get out. If you are active your ID.

Lord
11-23-2011, 20:42
If you are talking about getting it after you get out your DD214 should take care of it. Its the go to document after you get out. If you are active your ID.

While in the Air Force (don't know if it's changed) we had small arms training and were required to show proficiency (for deployment purposes). That was also our chance to get our marksmanship ribbons. THAT is proof of competency, the fact that you passed some type of training as we did. nowadays, it could just mean to the people that process them, the fact that you served within the time frame required, and nothing more.

glockurai
11-23-2011, 20:47
I used my DD214.

DWARREN123
11-23-2011, 21:50
A military document signed by you unit commander showing your qualification with a handgun is what is usually required.
May be different in your state but seems to work for most. :supergrin:

Dr.Crash
11-25-2011, 17:30
i used my orders to ohio. They also except military ID, or DD214. i got mine in Lorain County