G20 2nd gen ok? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20 2nd gen ok?

stevus
11-23-2011, 14:07
Came across a 2nd gen g20 at the gun range for 350$ I can get a new one for 510$ . I did some research and its seems other than the rail and finger groves they are the same . Is it worth the extra money for the 3rd gen ? Are there any internal differances?

Brian Dover
11-23-2011, 14:23
I actually prefer the no-grooves grip of the 2nd Generation Glocks over the rest.
The model 20 you're looking at would likely be eligible for some newer-design internal parts, that either Glock or one of their certified armorers can provide and install for you at no charge. If I were in your place right now and had the extra cash that's a good deal for $350; sometimes you can go quite a spell without seeing any used G20s out there.

stevus
11-23-2011, 14:33
Did i read that right ? no charge to upgrade the internals? if so Im going right back and get it . is the warrenty transferable?

Brian Dover
11-23-2011, 14:39
I've had that kind of free work done on two different older Glocks by two different armorers. It seemed to be a standard practice for them. I suppose they get reimbursed by Glock for doing it.

And I'm pretty sure that you can have the same thing done by Glock themselves down in Smyrna.

In any event I don't know that the work is really even needed, but what the heck new parts are new parts.

stevus
11-23-2011, 14:57
Thanks for the info . I tried to call Glock but they closed early . One more question if you dont mind . From what Ive found doing research the 3rd gen has an extra pin to strengthen the frame . Since 10mm so powerful does it makes much of a difference ?

arushus
11-23-2011, 15:43
The only difference I know of is it seems that the 2nd gen's barrel support isnt as good as the 3rd gen...if you get it, Id definitely recommend getting an aftermarket barrel for hot loads. You should be alright with most if not all loads, it is just it will deform the brass bad enough with hotter loads that you cant reload it, which the 3rd gen barrel will do also, which is why aftermarket barrels are a must if you intend to save your brass, either to reload yourself or sell to somebody on here...
The initial warranty on Glocks is only good for a year after the gun is bought. What any armorer will do though is replace the small, cheap internal parts for free. Such as, the trigger spring, extractor, ejector, extractor plunger and spring, striker spring, mag release, slide release and slide lock, etc., you get the idea...

stevus
11-23-2011, 16:20
I went ahead and picked it up . I dont reload right now so Im not concerned about brass . Please verify ..... The brass wont be reloadable but I can shoot hot loads without having to worry that the gun will blow up in my face

arushus
11-23-2011, 18:13
Hotter rounds shot through the stock glock barrels should be fine, just cant reload the brass...I just mentioned getting an aftermarket barrel kind of as an overkill to being safe. You may check out a thread in general glocking about a guy's 10mm going kaboom on him, it was a gen 2. Read it and see what people said about it, Ill put up a link here if I find it before you do.

arushus
11-23-2011, 18:16
here is the thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381518

Ahmid
11-23-2011, 20:13
I have a gen2 G20, have had it for many years. Sent it to Glock about six months ago for upgrades. They replaced almost everything in the gun except for the barrel, frame, slide, and firing pin. I do find the brass to be a bit harder to re size from the G20. Brass from my Delta Elite re sizes much easier. I ordered a KKM barrel for it and it should arrive by this Friday.

TreyG-20
11-23-2011, 23:24
Thanks for the info . I tried to call Glock but they closed early . One more question if you dont mind . From what Ive found doing research the 3rd gen has an extra pin to strengthen the frame . Since 10mm so powerful does it makes much of a difference ?
I have a gen 2 and a gen 3. There is no extra pin. For 350 its the best gun you can get for that price imho. Definately worth the money

TreyG-20
11-23-2011, 23:30
I went ahead and picked it up . I dont reload right now so Im not concerned about brass . Please verify ..... The brass wont be reloadable but I can shoot hot loads without having to worry that the gun will blow up in my face
You can shoot hot rounds through it. The only guy that did make rounds that you couldnt shoot through a stock barrel is unfortunatly gone. If you intend to reload and start pushing the limits of the 10mm cartridge then investing into an aftermarket barrel with better chamber support would be a good idea. For now just about anything else you can find on the market should be safe with the stock barrel.

Also lets see some pictures of that bad boy!!

stevus
11-24-2011, 05:48
Thanks to everyone . I went to that link and it was a bit upsetting to see a gun blow up like that . Is it better to send it to Glock or try to find a local amorer?