What dies are correct for the Model 30? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What dies are correct for the Model 30?

Model 30
11-23-2011, 18:13
I wanted to make sure I get the right ones and there seem to be about 5000 opinions on which ones are right, so I turn to you for the facts.

rg1
11-23-2011, 18:32
Any carbide standard 3 die set. One die sizes, one die expands the case mouth, and the 3rd die seats and taper crimps. You want a set with a taper crimp seater or buy a separate taper crimp die. I like this RCBS : http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?statuses=Available&statuses=In+Stock&statuses=Backorder+OK&statuses=Special+Order&statuses=Not+Available&statuses=No+Backorder&statuses=Coming+Soon&statuses=Other&minPrice=&maxPrice=&userSearchQuery=45+acp&sortBy=1&itemsPerPage=20&PreviousCategoryDimensionId=11913&promotionId=
I also like Hornady's set with taper crimp (not roll crimp). You could buy Hornady's standard set and purchase a separate Hornady taper crimp die.

Model 30
11-23-2011, 19:49
Ok, good input. I had heard various theories and suggestions and wanted to talk to someone that was actually reloading for the 30. I wanted to make sure it was the taper crimp I needed. Much appreciated!!

Have yerself a great Thanksgiving!

unclebob
11-23-2011, 20:14
Do you shoot lead bullets. If you do I would suggest getting the Dillon Bullet seat and crimp dies makes it a lot easier to clean the dies without missing with the settings.
Most of my pistol configurations are Dillon or Lee sizer die. The Lee will size a little further down on the case. Redding Competition bullet seat die and either a Lee or Dillon taper crimp die.
I personally am not a big fan of RCBS dies. I Like Lee, Dillon and Redding dies. I donít think any of my tool heads have all of the same make all the way around.
If your sizer die works? That is what determions your neck tension on the bullet and bullet set back. and you just remove the bell on the case there is no need for a Lee FCD die.

fredj338
11-23-2011, 21:42
Ok, good input. I had heard various theories and suggestions and wanted to talk to someone that was actually reloading for the 30. I wanted to make sure it was the taper crimp I needed. Much appreciated!!

Have yerself a great Thanksgiving!
Loading for the G30 is no diff than loading for any other 45acp. Get ABCs of Reloading, read it twice. Then as rg1 notes, any carbide die set will be fine. They all do the same thing, some are finished better than others & have better QC, but they all make good ammo if setup propperly.

freakshow10mm
11-24-2011, 02:06
I wanted to make sure I get the right ones and there seem to be about 5000 opinions on which ones are right, so I turn to you for the facts.
Buy a set of .45 ACP dies. Then go on with life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Equipment is secondary to procedure.

F106 Fan
11-24-2011, 09:28
If you buy a 3 die set from say, RCBS, you will get a sizing die, an expander die and a seater/crimp die. Bullet seating and crimping done in the same die; not a good process in my view.

If you buy a 3 die set from Dillon, you will get a sizing die, a seating die and a taper crimp die. Notice that there is no expander die! Case mouth expansion on a Dillon press is done with an expander on the powder measure.

The Dillon dies are nice in that the internals can be removed for cleaning withouth changing the settings. With lubed bullets, cleaning the seating die will be required - frequently.

The problem is, neither set is complete (IMO). I would prefer to taper crimp as a separate operation from bullet seating. So, with the RCBS set, order a separate taper crimp die. For the Dillon set, order an expander die from somebody else.

You didn't say which press you were planning to use. I can tell you, for certain, you don't want to reload pistol ammo on a single stage press. It just takes too long. Sure, most everybody starts out that way but after loading a few hundred rounds they are looking for something else.

There are a few 'stickies' at the top of this forum that discuss loading equipment.

Richard