Glock 30 SF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 SF

RVER
11-23-2011, 22:17
Does anyone carry one, any thoughts on this gun? Thanks.

DaBigBR
11-23-2011, 23:22
I've got one and I love it. It's similar in size to the 19/23/32, but obviously with a thicker grip. I carried it off duty for a good part of last year with G21 mags as spares. I really cannot speak highly enough of how well it shoots.

12smile
11-24-2011, 06:12
Uncanny accuracy of the G30; Suggested explanation from Mas Ayoob

I've always wondered why the G30 was so accurate. I figured that the ergo's just worked for me. Even more interesting, was that I've noticed that I'm slightly more accurate with the G26 than the G19. I figured that I must be just trying harder because of the shorter barrel and grip. Below is a recent quote from Mas:

"... there is the occasional firearms platform that defies the conventional wisdom and the Glock 30 is one of those.

I've seen the G21 do 1.5" or a bit less at 25 yards for 5 shots, off the bench, but I've seen the G30 do UNDER 1.0".

If you ask in one of the general forums in GT, you'll see the same with the 9mm Glock 26 versus the 9mm full size Glock 17, and I for one have certainly seen the same with the snubby Glock 27 in .40 versus the Glock 22 full size in the same .40 S&W chambering.

The reason seems to be twofold. First, the shorter barrel gun has a relatively more rigid barrel, when you measure width vis-a-vis length. Second, and perhaps more important I think, is that the G30 in .45 ACP and the Baby Glocks in standard frame size have the double captive spring design in their recoil springs. This seems to better guarantee that the bullet is past the muzzle before the mechanism begins to unlock. That gives a more consistent barrel alignment shot to shot, in relation to the plane of the sights that are aiming the gun.

There is another gunmaker (which will remain nameless here) who made a 9mm double action auto that generally was doing well if it shot a 2.5" group at 25 yards out of the box. However, the company offered a variation for twice or more the price that did an inch at 25 yards. The guys at the "custom" section of the factory told me a big part of that was a different recoil spring assembly that guaranteed the bullet would be out of the muzzle before it began to unlock. Those guns used to go about $1500 retail. You get the same effect in the Glock 30 at no extra charge, with every standard G30 that leaves the factory.

As they say on the Internet, "Just sayin' ..."

The G36 has a narrower, lighter slide than the G30, and this may be why I for one have never seen a G36 shoot as accurately as a G30, on the average.

Just one guy's opinion,

Mas"

RVER
11-24-2011, 07:35
I shot one recently and was amazed by how light the recoil was with 230 Gr ball (as in a gentle push - very similar to a 19) and the accuracy was amazing. By comparison, the recoil of the 23 (as preceived by me) was far sharper and I did not shoot it nearly as well. I'm seriously thinking about buying one for off duty carry. I tend to lean towards the side that believes that with 3rd generation JHP's the performance difference between the .9mm, .40, and .45 isn't all that great, however, I have to admit that the the shootability of the 30 AND the size of the .45 round has me thinking that they got this gun right. I like it alot better than my 19 or 23.

4949shooter
11-24-2011, 07:41
Mas Ayoob has also mentioned here on GT that the late Jim Cirillo of the famed NYPD Stakeout Unit favored the G30 in his later years.

These are two STRONG endorsements of the G30.

There is one guy in my agency who says he doesn't like the 30. I didn't ask why..

SCSU74
11-24-2011, 08:18
Carry my 30 daily. Love it. Nice backup for my 21 and can use 21 mags. What's your duty weapon?
I originally bought a crossbreed for my 19, but now use it for my 30. It is very comfortable and conceals the chunky gun well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

faceplant
11-24-2011, 16:28
Don't like mine. Just does not work for me. Gonna trade back to a 21

collim1
11-24-2011, 17:21
Don't like mine. Just does not work for me. Gonna trade back to a 21

I agree. I have more preferred guns in .45acp.

The G17 on the other hand, is one of the better 9mms out there.

RVER
11-24-2011, 18:37
Carry my 30 daily. Love it. Nice backup for my 21 and can use 21 mags. What's your duty weapon? I originally bought a crossbreed for my 19, but now use it for my 30. It is very comfortable and conceals the chunky gun well. Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I'm issued a 19 - a fine gun that combines reasonable power, weight, size and capacity. My agency does not not allow us to carry our issued guns off duty, so when off I carry a 23... long story as to why I got the 23, but it has nothing to do with the caliber - a personally owned 19 would have been my choice had I not had the 23. I carry in a leather pancake (Cobra).

PrecisionRifleman
11-24-2011, 19:06
I loved the one I had before experiencing FTRB, trigger bar rising out of frame, and a hair line crack in the lower frame in front of the locking block. Glock traded mine in for the G20SF I requested in replacement of the G30SF and I'm very happy with my decision in going with the G20SF and 10mm Auto cartridge.

I'm do however hope that the G30SF I had was just a lemon, because I really did like it a lot before the problems. It was very accurate, and the recoil wasn't bad at all in a compact sized 45 Auto. At some point I will try another, but not before I get a G29SF to compliment my G20SF.

Edit: I recommend trying one out in the holster that you intend to carry with. Some people find that the width of the slide is uncomfortable. If you use a good holster (I used a Crossbreed Super Tuck) I don't think you can really tell a difference between it an a G23/G19. On the other hand if you Mexican carry, or use a thinner cheap holster you can notice the difference in width in comparison to the compact Glocks.

SCSU74
11-24-2011, 21:10
I'm issued a 19 - a fine gun that combines reasonable power, weight, size and capacity. My agency does not not allow us to carry our issued guns off duty, so when off I carry a 23... long story as to why I got the 23, but it has nothing to do with the caliber - a personally owned 19 would have been my choice had I not had the 23. I carry in a leather pancake (Cobra).

That's weird that you can't carry issued guns off duty? Maybe just pick up a gen 3 19 then? With Leo discount you should be able to get one for $398. The 30 is the same frame size as the 19, just a bit thicker fwiw.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jokon
11-27-2011, 01:57
Paul Howe of CSAT used to carry a G30 before they came with rails. He sent his early model to ROBAR to have rails put on it. For a guy that carried a 1911 in the US Army for years, that is saying something.

BULLRUNN
11-27-2011, 04:45
Got one.. Use it as Backup/Offduty no complaints I put my life on it EVERYTIME I walk out the door.. Enough said..I have seen them at prices from $385.00 to $525.00 depending on the distributor... WHATEVER the cost it is money well spent..

Detectorist
11-27-2011, 07:53
Got one.. Use it as Backup/Offduty no complaints I put my life on it EVERYTIME I walk out the door.. Enough said..I have seen them at prices from $385.00 to $525.00 depending on the distributor... WHATEVER the cost it is money well spent..

It's my favorite all time gun. Very reliable. In the only competition I've participated in in 35 years, I tied for first place in accuracy with it.

It may be the most accurate Glock out of the box. I believe at least one company manufactures premium ammo for short barreled guns.

Just so you know, not an LEO here.

Morris
11-27-2011, 09:37
Had one. Used it for off duty carry. Only issue was the pinkie finger getting pinched between the base plate of the mag and the frame when the gun fired. My sausages got in the gap and would get the unholy pinch.

But a damn accurate gun!

blueiron
11-27-2011, 12:19
I had one for a couple of years and loved it. I sold it to get a Glock 36 and that was a huge error. The 36 had just been introduced and I got a problem gun. To me, it wasn't any more concealable either.

The 30 was perfect and very, very accurate. I miss it.

DaBigBR
11-28-2011, 09:53
Had one. Used it for off duty carry. Only issue was the pinkie finger getting pinched between the base plate of the mag and the frame when the gun fired. My sausages got in the gap and would get the unholy pinch.

But a damn accurate gun!

That's a problem for me if I run the nine round, flush fit mags, but not an issue at all with the ten rounders that are slightly extended.

RVER
03-30-2012, 16:32
Thanks for the responses. Well it's official PA. State Parole will be transitioning from the Glock 19 to the Glock 21 or 30 (agent's choice) within six months.

jolly roger
03-30-2012, 19:26
We carry G21SFs for patrol and G30SFs for detectives. Detectives also get a 21SF for uniform work. I carry a G30SF and love it. Also have a G30 of my own and love that. Therefore when I retire in 2 years I'll take the 21SF.