Do You Carry While At Home? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do You Carry While At Home?

JeffS
11-24-2011, 07:25
Just curious, how many of you actually carry your firearm when you are in your home? Eventhough I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood, I still always want to be prepared g-d forbid something ever happens. Am I unusual or do others do the same?

Myke_Hart
11-24-2011, 07:29
Yep, always have my pocket gun on me... Except when naked! :supergrin:

smitty704
11-24-2011, 07:35
yes. I always carry at home, and it is usually me G19 in a supertuck.

Patchman
11-24-2011, 07:37
As a rule I remove my CCW when I get home. But then again, my family is pretty security consciencious and always lock the doors behind us after entering. Also, I have a couple of pre-positioned handguns around the house near where we usually hang out during non-sleeping hours.

I should also really get a dog.

pilsbury
11-24-2011, 08:02
I dont carry on me, but I do keep a pistol on the coffee table right next to my recliner.

dudel
11-24-2011, 08:06
No, but we do lock the doors and have several secured in strategic locations in the house.

BK63
11-24-2011, 08:10
House is small, doors are always always locked even though it's a quiet area. Have several hidden pistol safes around. I can always get to something quickly and have motion detectors on the property. I always know if somebody approaches the house. Not paranoid, just careful.

R3508
11-24-2011, 08:16
Just curious, how many of you actually carry your firearm when you are in your home? Eventhough I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood, I still always want to be prepared g-d forbid something ever happens. Am I unusual or do others do the same?

Its OK to spell out "God"..... :winkie:
The most secure place for ANY loaded firearm is on your person. Except a safe, you know....
In our area there are occasionally, home invasion robberies, we have just shown, among the nation, the highest increase in crime rate per capita, there are also more CCW per capita than the balance of the state...
Thank God for dogs and GLOCKS!

VanguardMP
11-24-2011, 08:26
Always. You never know when or where you may need it.

VMP

Jon_R
11-24-2011, 08:27
Usually on me or sitting on a side table or on the ground next to me. I see no reason not to do that. It is easier to take it off and put it in a holster on the side table then open the safe just to open it back up when I leave the house.

wuvmyglock
11-24-2011, 08:30
Always with me... Hard to protect the family with the G21 in the other room..

wuvmyglock
11-24-2011, 08:31
House is small, doors are always always locked even though it's a quiet area. Have several hidden pistol safes around. I can always get to something quickly and have motion detectors on the property. I always know if somebody approaches the house. Not paranoid, just careful.

You forgot to mention SMART as well..

rons23/40ohyeah
11-24-2011, 08:34
I haves always kept a long rifle 22 fully loaded in the kitchen closet. I will be keeping the Glock 40 in another room which will be even easier to get to.:whistling:

Misty02
11-24-2011, 08:55
I do. Then again we have a 12 year old at home, what is not on us is locked up. Others at home may carry if they’re still dress from going out, but it is not a constant. Carrying while at home ensures there is always a firearm handy wherever I am.

Due to the continuous in and out during the day, we don’t turn on the alarm. The doors are locked though.

txgunguy
11-24-2011, 09:24
Usually on me or sitting on a side table or on the ground next to me. I see no reason not to do that. It is easier to take it off and put it in a holster on the side table then open the safe just to open it back up when I leave the house.

Same here.

TangoFoxtrot
11-24-2011, 09:28
No, but we do lock the doors and have several secured in strategic locations in the house.

Ditto! Same here. Plus I have a dog that hears a fly fart!

collim1
11-24-2011, 09:45
I carry my normal CCW in the house. I get dressed when I wake up and dont do the pajamas thing inside the house.

I also keep the pump shotgun in the bedroom and a P220 with a TLR-1 attached and a few spare loaded mags in the nightstand.

Call me paranoid, but we have a burglary problem in my city.

collim1
11-24-2011, 09:45

Teej
11-24-2011, 09:56
After having a woman with two men try to walk in my BACK door 5 Christmas Eve's ago, YES I do now........... {my German Shepherd kept them out}

[and I live in the country where people try to say nothing bad ever happens]

MLittle
11-24-2011, 10:12
Always, except when I'm in the shower or in bed. Even then, my pistol is within easy reach. Sometimes, bad things happen when we least expect it. I live in a nice neighborhood too, but bad things happen to good people..... Always be prepared...

up1911fan
11-24-2011, 10:49
Yes. My gun goes on when I get dressed in the morning and comes off when I shower before bed.

SPIN2010
11-24-2011, 10:52
Yes, in several places. :supergrin:

BailRecoveryAgent
11-24-2011, 10:59
I carry my normal CCW in the house. I get dressed when I wake up and dont do the pajamas thing inside the house.

This. Even if its just cargo shorts and a tank top, I get dressed when I get up and the gun goes in the holster.

redbaron007
11-24-2011, 11:03
Varies......if I don't have one on me, there is always one very close, within a few steps-max.

:wavey:

red

Glockworks
11-24-2011, 11:04
This. Even if its just cargo shorts and a tank top, I get dressed when I get up and the gun goes in the holster.

Wow, smart folks here on this thread. Ditto, ditto, and ditto, or as a previous person wrote, "........." :supergrin:

KiloBravo
11-24-2011, 11:44
I am ALWAYS armed. The only exceptions are when I am sleeping or in the shower. Even then, there is at least one gun within arms reach. So yes, I carry at home.

G22DaD
11-24-2011, 12:20
Yup! Until bedtime.

UtahIrishman
11-24-2011, 12:27
Sometimes but not always. There's almost always a loaded weapon close by though.

DaneA
11-24-2011, 12:43
Yep, on me or close by but usually on me. As I read on here somewhere:
100% of home invasions happen in the home.

crsuribe
11-24-2011, 12:44
My G.20 never leaves my side at home, or anywhere I go. I really love that pistol and miss it when it's not around, plus if someone decides to break into my house any time I'm here, then at least I have something to defend myself with.

Orive 8
11-24-2011, 12:48
Yes for me, yes for my wife. Every day for the past 26 years.

crsuribe
11-24-2011, 12:51
Come to think of it, I need to buy a G.29 for defense so if something happens they won't take my G.20 as evidence 'cause I would really really miss it.

Cletus
11-24-2011, 13:34
I always have my lcp on me... Even in my pajamas. I usually have the glock on me aswell.

Glock27NY
11-24-2011, 14:07
Yes, always.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BailRecoveryAgent
11-24-2011, 15:22
Wow, smart folks here on this thread. Ditto, ditto, and ditto, or as a previous person wrote, "........." :supergrin:

Well Einstein, the "....." post was a duplicate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

xmanhockey7
11-24-2011, 15:26
Yep G22 usually.

ancient_serpent
11-24-2011, 15:29
If I'm working outside, yes. If mostly inside, I don't, but I also keep several around the house so one is always close at hand.

JuneyBooney
11-24-2011, 15:32
Yep, always have my pocket gun on me... Except when naked! :supergrin:

A man always has his "gun" on him. :rofl:

LongGoneDays
11-24-2011, 16:32
Yes. If I get in the tub or bed I'll take it off, usually.

WASR10
11-24-2011, 17:00
At home, if I don't have my S&W 642 in my pocket then my Mossberg 500 is within arms reach.

srprex
11-24-2011, 17:07
Its OK to spell out "God"..... :winkie:
The most secure place for ANY loaded firearm is on your person. Except a safe, you know....
In our area there are occasionally, home invasion robberies, we have just shown, among the nation, the highest increase in crime rate per capita, there are also more CCW per capita than the balance of the state...
Thank God for dogs and GLOCKS!

I would like to echo the point about the safest place for your FA is on your person. My wife thinks it over-kill to carry at home....we have a privacy fence....alarm system...schnauzer...locked doors...and, if I am home all day, I do sometimes leave it where I keep it at night...but always close by....G19 downstairs...M&P 9 upstairs. But if I leave the house or go to work, if my pants are on, so is my G19. And like I tell her....accidents happen when folks are messing with a FA....not when it is properly holstered. So what is safer....taking it off when I come home....putting it back on to go here or there...off & on, off & on...or just leave it on...safe from any grandchild? I do not consider it an incovenience to have it on...so if I am willing...what's the beef?

Bren
11-24-2011, 17:10
Nope. It's not a security blanket, just a handy tool. I can stand to be without it.

First Sgt
11-24-2011, 17:14
If I am dressed, I am carrying...Simple as that.

JaPes
11-24-2011, 17:14
When I'm home, my LCP is in my pocket in a DeSantis holster & a spare mag in the other pocket.

ldrichard
11-24-2011, 17:15
Yes...

str8tshooter
11-24-2011, 17:26
Yep, all the time. My wife thought I was being paranoid at first, but with the number of home invasions on the rise, she has had a change of heart, and is now taking tactical courses with me.
SS

Sheepdog Scout
11-24-2011, 19:23
Ditto.

racer88
11-24-2011, 19:48
Yep. If I'm wearing pants, I'm armed.

Lounging around, as I am now, I have a pair of cargo shorts and my G27 in a Remora in my front pocket.

michael e
11-24-2011, 20:36
Yep, a pocket gun on me, and a Glock on the couch next to me. Doors opened lately since weather is cooler so dogs can run in and out.

dogchild
11-24-2011, 20:43
Yes always, gun goes where i go.

Scott3670
11-24-2011, 20:55
Sometimes I have a gun on me but there is always a gun next to me on the coffee table. Call me paranoid, call me silly, just don't call me unprepared.

NMGlocker
11-24-2011, 21:01
That's what LCP's are for.
When I get dressed in the morning my watch goes on my wrist and my LCP goes in my pocket, neither comes off until I lay down to sleep.

Hellstriker
11-24-2011, 21:05
I am tactical 24/7

flyboyvet
11-24-2011, 21:29
Your'e darn straight! I always carry at home, not the greastest neighborhood I must say. When sleeping, it's just under my bed in easy reach, in the shower it's in a ziplock bag.....Just kidding about the shower though.

iluv2viddyfilms
11-24-2011, 21:38
Yes, I carry on me at home.

I've learned this lesson through education, and like most things in life education is important. I've learned that bad guys might be hiding around every corner, and while some people think that carrying while at home is paranoid or over zealous, I know better. I've seen many movies on Lifetime that indicate prowlers can be about, and I've watched the local news, which always shows stories about home invasions. I've also seen stories about home invasions in many gun magazines.

I know bad guys will get me when I am not carrying a firearm. They are often wearing black with black beanies and a nylon over there face. These types of predators will hide in the bushes and they will also sneak in through windows. I am prepared.

Not only do I carry one firearm, but I carry two. In certain situations a bad guy may not be alone and I need to have plenty of fire power. I feel the need for a backup G27 to my fullsized G22. While .40 S&W might be a bit underpowered, I must be a good gun owner and make sure I don't overpenetrate the walls. This is why I will have a slinged .12 shotgun around my shoulder. I think that a pistol is good, but it's a last resort weapon. I need to have a shotgun with me at all times.

I have a 1911 which I also carry on me while taking a shower. It wrap it up in plastic so it won't get wet, but I make sure my finger can get to the trigger. I've seen too many movies where women are attacked in the shower, and it's during this time that a person is most vulnerable. I feel without a doubt that carry in the shower is necessary for any home owner. I highly encourage shower carry.

LurpyGeek
11-24-2011, 21:39
If I am out of bed and dressed, I am armed.

bchand01
11-24-2011, 21:40
If I'm out of bed I am, if I'm in bed it's within less than full reaching distance.

Maine1
11-24-2011, 21:45
It would be odd to remove the gun merely because i arrived home. even among gun owners CARRYING a gun is an odd concept, it seems. My holster is very comfortable- why would i take the gun off/remove it and set it down?

Safest place for that gun is ON MY BODY. Also the most useful- might not have time to take 3 steps, ect.

joeface
11-24-2011, 21:49
Always with me... Hard to protect the family with the G21 in the other room..

This ^^ but G23

unit1069
11-24-2011, 21:55

I don't literally "carry" but I know a firearm is nearby. Like you I live in a peaceful neighborhood but I always have doors locked and the rest of the family knows the importance of locked doors, the best defense against intrusion.

Turk
11-24-2011, 22:19
Yes I do! My g-27 is usually in my Galco FLETCH owb holster with a long t-shirt covering it. While sleeping it is in the holster attached to the mattress for easy access. No reason to not be armed.

Stay safe!

Unistat
11-24-2011, 22:33
I carry at home 98% of the time. The other 2% I have a gun close to hand.

j-glock22
11-24-2011, 22:37
Not always but always within reach..

MIKES LAW
11-24-2011, 23:05
LCP in pocket holster always; Glock model and holster appropriate to planned activities go on as soon as I get dressed and generally stay on until getting into bed.

shooter_55
11-24-2011, 23:10
Yep....

Oso
11-24-2011, 23:17
No. Currently I only own duty size handguns and I like to dress comfortably when at home (lounge pants, basketball shorts, etc). My next 2 purchases may change that habit, though. I'm looking at getting a G26 and then a pocket pistol as funds allow. I completely understand people who are armed 24/7, especially when you live in higher crime areas, although crime can happen anywhere. Luckily we have a large dog with a loud, deep bark and growl who will alert us if anyone sets foot on our property. He is protective of HIS family.

Oso
11-24-2011, 23:19

I've learned this lesson through education, and like most things in life education is important. I've learned that bad guys might be hiding around every corner, and while some people think that carrying while at home is paranoid or over zealous, I know better. I've seen many movies on Lifetime that indicate prowlers can be about, and I've watched the local news, which always shows stories about home invasions. I've also seen stories about home invasions in many gun magazines.

I know bad guys will get me when I am not carrying a firearm. They are often wearing black with black beanies and a nylon over there face. These types of predators will hide in the bushes and they will also sneak in through windows. I am prepared.

Not only do I carry one firearm, but I carry two. In certain situations a bad guy may not be alone and I need to have plenty of fire power. I feel the need for a backup G27 to my fullsized G22. While .40 S&W might be a bit underpowered, I must be a good gun owner and make sure I don't overpenetrate the walls. This is why I will have a slinged .12 shotgun around my shoulder. I think that a pistol is good, but it's a last resort weapon. I need to have a shotgun with me at all times.

I have a 1911 which I also carry on me while taking a shower. It wrap it up in plastic so it won't get wet, but I make sure my finger can get to the trigger. I've seen too many movies where women are attacked in the shower, and it's during this time that a person is most vulnerable. I feel without a doubt that carry in the shower is necessary for any home owner. I highly encourage shower carry.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You had me until you mentioned "Lifetime".

NEOH212
11-24-2011, 23:43
Unless I'm in the shower or the bed, I always have a gun on my person.

jhoagland
11-25-2011, 00:03
90% of the time, yes.

iluv2viddyfilms
11-25-2011, 01:23
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You had me until you mentioned "Lifetime".

heh. Yeah, maybe I was too obvious.

My real non-satirical answer is no, I don't carry at home. I don't even keep a loaded gun at home. But I do have a few full magazines near my 1911, just in case, but I don't find it necessary.

fla2760
11-25-2011, 01:47
That's what LCP's are for.
When I get dressed in the morning my watch goes on my wrist and my LCP goes in my pocket, neither comes off until I lay down to sleep.

J frames too .

Bren
11-25-2011, 06:56

I thought your pro-gun personality had taken over, until I realized you were being sarcastic.:upeyes:

I think carrying a gun around the house is silly, but just about everything you post here is sillier and less well-reasoned, so I guess disagreeing with those I disagree with doesn't put us in agreement.

jb1911
11-25-2011, 07:00
I have firearms on all 3 floors of my house and 3 Chihuahuas to alert me to intruders. I'm covered.

Bruce M
11-25-2011, 09:59

:rofl::rofl:

I completely agree based on tv and movies that especially women should always carry in the shower.

Have one available in the house, absolutely. But long before I felt a need to carry a gun in the house I would move, strengthen my door/frame/lock, and/or decide if I lock the door when I am not home I am certainly going to lock it when I am home, as I am more valuable than stuff in the house.

SCmasterblaster
11-25-2011, 10:03
I carry my G17 fully loaded with WW 115gr JHP +p+ rounds (1400 FPS) and my Otapin safety pin inserted. 24/7 :shocked:

FAS1
11-25-2011, 10:14
Usually pocket carry P3AT at home. Doesn't get in the way of anything I'm doing. Also, Spyderco C07 is always clipped on at SOB.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-25-2011, 11:45

I have no doubt that the only thing in this post that isn't a poor attempt at sarcasm is the part about him watching "Lifetime" movies.

LL6
11-25-2011, 11:56
Very rarely, and then it's because I haven't taken it off from being out. There are however a couple of loaded ones always available.

Clark's 22
11-25-2011, 12:04
I used to carry at home all the time when I had kids still in the home. I felt is was the safest place to have the weapon. Now that they are grown, it is about 50/50. Just depends on if I change clothes or not.

Misty02
11-25-2011, 12:27
I thought your pro-gun personality had taken over, until I realized you were being sarcastic.:upeyes:

I think carrying a gun around the house is silly, but just about everything you post here is sillier and less well-reasoned, so I guess disagreeing with those I disagree with doesn't put us in agreement.

Why do you believe that carrying at home is silly? With children around I believe that the only prudent place for a loaded firearm is while under my full control and on my person.

Glenn129
11-25-2011, 12:37
If you see me with my pants on, I shall be carrying, make no mistake. If I am sitting around in my shorts at home I am always within an arms reach of a firearm. Why is this, I live in the country on a farm, have lots that people want to steal, and the cops can't reach me in time to defend me. How do I know this about the response time of the police? 4 people tried to rob me, and if I had not been prepared, I would not be alive. Thank God, the 2nd Amendment, good firearms, and good ammo on this Thanksgiving holiday.

Peace Frog
11-25-2011, 14:34
Does a bear **** in the woods? :supergrin:

NMGlocker
11-25-2011, 15:04
I think carrying a gun around the house is silly
I don't take my watch off when I walk in the front door just because I have clocks on the wall.
I don't empty my pockets when I walk in the front door, my wallet, cell phone, pocket knife and keys stay right where I put them when I dressed this morning.
Why would I take the LCP out of my pocket either?
It's just another "thing" I carry all day every day.
If it's been a long day I might take my shoes, belt and IWB holstered H&K P2000Sk off to relax, but I've never considered my pocket gear to be so obtrusive that I just have to rid myself of it as soon as I get home.
I hate having to hunt around the house for a knife to open something, looking for my keys when I forgot something in the truck or looking for the cell when I hear the message alert. It's just convenient to keep them in my pockets.
I would imagine having my LCP in my pocket should the need arise would be pretty convenient as well.

mikegun
11-25-2011, 15:13
yes, i always have a 380 in a pocket holster, rear pocket 24-7, G23 when i leave home ...I always have a secont G23 hidden in my car...as i dont find it necessary to carry extera mags this way...

HOUSTON
11-25-2011, 17:06
Yes, why not?

huggytree
11-25-2011, 17:12
me and the wife always carry 24/7....he both have CCW pajamas......she does get annoyed during intimacy when i set the gun on her back though

during showers i put my gun in a baggie and use a plastic belt to hold my holster

no i dont carry at home....unless you live in a war zone i think its over kill x 100

i keep a loaded gun in a quick access safe next to my bed....if the 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance someone breaks in during the day while were at home i can run up and get it.

i dont carry a mini gun in my pocket...maybe if i did id leave it there out of laziness...my G27 isnt comfortable enough to leave on, so i remove it when i get home and put it in a mini safe....

iluv2viddyfilms
11-25-2011, 18:23

Hrmm, so the enemy of my enemy still isn't my friend? I weep. I try to tilt the balance around here. I'm pro-gun because I believe in the second ammendment and freedom, and I don't want a lot of government regulation. I'm not pro gun because I run around with a fear that I actually might need it someday. 99.999-percent of the people in the world are born, live, and die without ever having owned or carried a gun.

mrsig
11-25-2011, 18:49
Only have several loaded weapons in my dresser gun safe but do not have one lying open. I have too many grand kids who visit.

NMGlocker
11-25-2011, 19:15
99.999-percent of the people in the world are born, live, and die without ever having owned or carried a gun.
And a few million of those were hacked to death by machetes because they couldn't defend themselves from roving bands of criminals.
We aren't even counting the millions killed by the same benevolent government that disarmed them.

Two Guns
11-25-2011, 20:18
I carry when ever I am able to.So my answer is yes.

unit1069
11-25-2011, 20:45
99.999-percent of the people in the world are born, live, and die without ever having owned or carried a gun.

So tell us what percentage of people live under the tyranny of governments that don't trust the people to keep and bear arms.

I'm too tired or lazy to dig out the actual quote but one of the Founding Fathers addressed the brilliance of the US Constitution by pointing out that America's government trusts citizens with the individual God-given right to keep and bear arms. This is part and parcel of the reason the rest of the world envies America and our rights.

If you don't believe me please ask one of your English friends who for the most part enjoy the same rights as Americans, save for our Second Amendment. And don't for a moment think our Second Amendment rights are secure, given the stealth, deceit, and outright lies the Radical Left and its media allies disseminate and promote.

America is only a single US Supreme Court nominee away from having our individual Second Amendment rights voided via judicial fiat (as opposed to the amendment process). We must get to the polls next November to secure our rights by voting for the presidential candidate who understands and respects American sacrifice and history. And take as many like-minded voters with you when you go. The Radical Left is very well organized and disciplined and they smell "coup" against our individual rights.

janice6
11-25-2011, 21:46
If I am out of bed and dressed, I am armed.

This: If I am out of bed THEN I am dressed and carrying. Always.

If it's worth getting a CCL then it worth carrying it.

DB1985
11-25-2011, 21:58
My gun is always on me, if not always within 1 or 2 feet of where I shower, sit, or sleep.

GlockN
11-25-2011, 22:03
always carry in the house. Either a G23 or G30sf in owb Don Hume

xmanhockey7
11-25-2011, 23:21
I don't normally carry at home, but when I do I prefer Glock. Stay armed my friends. http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50553_104198290097_5724362_n.jpg

Glockworks
11-25-2011, 23:32
Hrmm, so the enemy of my enemy still isn't my friend? I weep. I try to tilt the balance around here. I'm pro-gun because I believe in the second ammendment and freedom, and I don't want a lot of government regulation. I'm not pro gun because I run around with a fear that I actually might need it someday. 99.999-percent of the people in the world are born, live, and die without ever having owned or carried a gun.
Had they owned a gun (or more), a lot less than 6 million Jews(and others) and 20 million Soviet citizens not to mention millions of others would be alive today and not dead by the hands of their oppressive governments.

As it has been written so brilliantly by our founders, the Second Amendment is a big obstacle to those who are against FREEDOM. The 2nd allows the first to be viable.

Teej
11-26-2011, 00:03

I think I remember you from another post somewhere. Aren't you that liberal high school teacher with ties to some of the Brady groups if I recall correctly?

It is fortunate we live in a country giving us certain rights. I personally am not going to gamble with the life of my family. They will not become part of the .0009 [by your stat above] that had their life ended violently.

Took my kids out into Black Friday today and we had a safe, uneventful happy day. No promises for tomorrow. But my Boy Scout days taught me to "Be Prepared".

notjustanothermini
11-26-2011, 00:21
all day everyday, even on jesus's birthday.

on my person, and strategically located around the house a la' "hickok45" style.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc482/notjustanothermini/DSCF7204.jpg
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc482/notjustanothermini/DSCF6777.jpg

Allsmk_nomirror
11-26-2011, 00:23
Yup, I carry at home... G20sf, BlackHawk Serpa Holster, with some Hornady 180gr XTP and a second mag full of Federal Hydra Shok 180gr.

dabigguns357
11-26-2011, 10:16
Yep a Glock 22.I don't see the need in not carrying and i live in the country with hardly anyone around.

I also keep security camera's up and running 24/7,i don't think there will be a problem but if one ever come up i don't want to be caught with my pants down.

It's called situational awareness and i'm all aout it.

Steelhawk
11-26-2011, 10:43
I carry at home. It's safer that way. I don't have guns in various places because of grandkids, but there are a couple in our bedroom. The grandkids don't have free run of the house and don't go in there unsupervised.

Maybe in the near future I will get a small safe for the family room where we spend most of our time.

count_schemula
11-26-2011, 10:52
Yes.

I work at home.

The main crime here is street gangs kicking in the front door to steal cameras, computers and televisions.

I have a steel door frame and a loaded G22 Gen4. I live on a higher floor, so windows are not a real concern.