Is my newly purchased 2nd gen 20 safe? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is my newly purchased 2nd gen 20 safe?

stevus
11-24-2011, 07:51
I just finished reading about the KB on someones gen2 20 and Im not feeling so happy about my purchase anymore . Is this thing safe? Its was well used by the previous owner so can I assume its ok ? Do I really need to spend more money on a new barrel ? Should I trade it in on a gen3?

TreyG-20
11-24-2011, 08:51
No man your good. The barrel is just something you might want to consider if you feed it a steady diet of nuclear rounds. Just about anything you can buy is not going to hurt it one bit. I shoot everything through my Gen 2 20 and it has not had one issue or so much as a glock smile. Ive fed it a lot of swampfox ammo and it has been flawless. Dont be afraid of it. What happened with that guys Glock that KB was a bullet set back to an already maxed pressured round. This can blow any gun no matter what it is. Enjoy it. Love it and it will love you back. If you end up wanting to sell it, let me know. I will take it.

stevus
11-24-2011, 09:00
Okay that helps a bit but i need at least 10 more people to verify ...just kidding ... Now that you mentioned it I have a crimson trace grip laser for model 29 for sale . Which brings me to ... is there a section of for sale stuff here ?

TreyG-20
11-24-2011, 09:07
Yes go all the way to the top of the page and you will see the want ads and thats the classified section on here

stevus
11-24-2011, 09:10
I could shoot these with no worries ? http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/product.php?productid=17617&cat=345&page=1

Seems I cant post in the want ads .Im assuming theres a minimum post requirement

TreyG-20
11-24-2011, 09:17
Unfortunately no the owner of swampfoxammo passed away earlier this month and his business went with him. Check out Underwood ammo they have great ammo at very great prices.

stevus
11-24-2011, 16:56
do you think I could safely shoot 200gr hornady XTP from underwood?

MightyTygart
11-24-2011, 18:56
The issue of safe vs. unsafe here boils down to chamber support. The chamber in the glock barrels are not as tight. Therefore, these "nuclear" rounds are potentially hazardous. Send Underwood an email, they will tell you. I do specifically remember Swampfox cautioning individuals not to use a chamber that wasn't fully supported.

Do a little research, hang around the Ten ring. Everything will be good. Oh, and be sure to ask questions. Nobody wants to get hurt!

4949shooter
11-24-2011, 19:01

Kevin Underwood just joined up here at GT. It might be a good idea to ask him this question, either via PM or on forum.

Edit: If you check out the Underwood thread, he responded on there.

post-apocalyptic
11-24-2011, 20:46

Yep. I suggest buying some Underwood 10mm and having fun. Don't worry about your pistol being "safe", I'm sure it is. As TreyG-20 said, the guy who experienced the KB with his gen 2 G20 was, imo, deliberately trying to provoke that result by taking old school Double Tap rnds and chambering/ejecting till he managed to set the bullet too far back in the cartridge, then firing.

His stock barrel's ramp/chamber also looked as though a crackhead with a Dremel had been grinding on it. :eyebrow:

21Carrier
11-25-2011, 00:20
Stevus, you will be fine, especially shooting commercial ammo like Underwood. However, I would really like to see a picture of your barrel's chamber. That guy that blew up his G20 was asking for it, and his barrel was screwed. He claims it was factory. I would like to see if yours is like his. Plus, a picture of your barrel's chamber would help us give you a more definitive answer.

Also, check your brass to be safe. If you start seeing Glocksmiles (see pic below), you know that the ammo is too hot for your barrel. I am sure you will be fine. I shoot some pretty ridiculous loads through my G29's stock barrel, and it's been fine (after 10,000+ rounds).

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_1993.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_1992.jpg

These marks on the above brass are called Glocksmiles, and are caused by shooting over-pressure ammo in a barrel without full support. If you see anything like this, stop. But you'll be fine. That guy that blew up his G20 had seen such smiles, and kept on going. He was "special".

rcd567
11-25-2011, 08:19
Dude, good thing you checked in here before firing that death trap!:wow: It certainly is not safe. :upeyes: Send it to me to discard. I'll PM you my address and just because you brought this death dealer to our attention, I'll refund your shipping costs. Good luck, may you live a long and fruitful life.:rofl:

I'm just messin with you man. Course it's safe. Get some of Underwoods ammo https://www.underwoodammo.com/shop/index.cfm?carttoken=V694VE2112411024902&action=ViewDetails&ItemID=29&Category=19 (this is my favorite load) and you'll be fine.

stevus
11-25-2011, 08:24
Thanks everyone All the info is appreciated .I feel better although Ill probably flinch a bit until Ive put about 50 rnds thru it and check the casings

nickE10mm
11-25-2011, 19:47
You should be fine as long as none of the previous owners have dremeled or otherwise modded your stock barrel. Also, the reports of the "new" G20's having improved chamber support joule be taken with a grain of salt anyways. While I've seen older G20's with sloppier chambers, I've seen the same thing in brand new Gen3's.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should be fine with any factory loads. Most SwampFox stuff would also have been fine EXCEPT their special, "supported chamber loads".

Shoot with confidence. If you aren't confident, post some good pics or, preferably, show it to a 'smith or someone who knows what to look for.

Enjoy that 20... FANTASTIC pistol, no matter which generation.