My mind's made up. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My mind's made up.

Teecher45
11-24-2011, 21:26
Well, not really, or I wouldn't be here looking for suggestions.
I've decided I want another G20. I've owned both a 20 and a 29SF. The problem was, at the time, I was trying to find a pistol that could do it all. I now just want one for the woods. I have a Gen 4 27 for CC.
I bowhunt in Colorado and usually carry a 4" .44 for bears. However I have never had a bad experience with any bear there. They have always gone one way and I have gone the other. Lately, at least in the area I hunt, the big kitties are causing more issues than the bears.
I have decided to start carrying a 10mm due to its capacity. Tecnically I have until next fall to get it but would like to have it much earlier (like yesterday really) to work-up loads and just shoot it some. I called and talked to a young lady at Glock Monday and she told the Gen 4 20 was not in sight. She was sure we would see one just didn't know when. I know I would rather have the Gen 4 20 but don't know when we'll see it. I really believe the double recoil spring would be worth the wait, and I really like the new frame. Should I wait it out (I really want santa to bring me one) or maybe get a SF now and do a trade later when I see how the Gen 4 20's are doing? Or #3, get a Gen 4 21 and convert it? I am a little anxious about conversions on a gun that I may have to have protect my life with someday.
What says the experts...

arushus
11-24-2011, 21:39
The gen 3's are great, tried and true. With all the 9mm gen4 issues, who knows what may pop up with the 10mm gen 4's? Hopefully nothing, but you never know...Im willing to bet if you did get a gen 3 20sf, you'd never want to get rid of it, you may buy a gen 4 when they come out, but Im pretty sure you will still have that gen 3 also.
Im not sure about converting a gen 4 21 to a 10mm, what would you replace? If it is just the barrel, Ive heard doing it that way has had some reliability issues. If you can replace the 21 slide with a 20 slide, that would be just fine, but if youre gonna do that you may as well just buy a 20 instead, unless you really wanna shoot .45acp too.

ColGlocker
11-24-2011, 22:02
I am not a Glock expert by any stretch. Here is my thought on it. Well, if you believe the person at Glock, I don't see the point of waiting for the next generation G20. Similar to a computer. You know there is a better faster model in the works, but sooner or later you will need to jump in and get your feet wet. Buy the g20 now. When the gen4 is released you can decide whether to replace the gen3. If you do, then consider the depreciation of the gen3 a rental fee.

I recently purchased the G29SF and waiting for a gen4 was not even a consideration. I have been shooting for a couple of months and enjoyed every round shot.

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV.

Taterhead
11-24-2011, 22:03
Don't wait. The Gen 3 G20 is a great platform whether in standard or SF configuration. I love mine. It has been very dependable.

21Carrier
11-25-2011, 00:10
Just buy the Gen3 G20SF. You might be waiting 2-3 years for the Gen4 (probably not, but who knows how long it will be). I would not convert a G21 UNLESS you get an entire upper assembly. The G21 slide is much lighter and thinner than the G20 slide. That extra mass really helps to tame the recoil. One great option (and what I did) is to get the G21SF, then convert it to 10mm with a LWD G20LS long slide. Mine has been amazing, and I absolutely love it. However, it may be more gun that you want to carry. It will also be about $1,000 by the time you get it all, but you'll have both a G21SF and G20L in the end.

glock20c10mm
11-25-2011, 03:09
I'm with everyone else. The Gen 3 is tried and true and there have been issues with the Gen 4s in other caliber models. And then if you do wait for the Gen 4 you're going to be one of the guinea pigs trying out one of the first ones. Forget that! Go with a clearly proven Gen 3, and if at some point and time in the future AFTER the Gen 4 G20 models are proven, switch or add to the arsenal then. Besides, a Gen 3 G20 is a darned fine platform! Over time I switched from a Gen 3 G20C to a Gen 3 G29 (neither was or is an SF model) and am very happy.:thumbsup:

4949shooter
11-25-2011, 04:30
The Gen3 G20SF I just bought is one of the best firearm purchases I have ever made. Period. You won't regret it. Mine was test fired in August of this year, and still has the machined extractor. It shoots great, is as accurate as my 1911's, and is a blast to shoot. When I had it at the range at work there were people lined up wanting to shoot it.

The only mod I made was too have one of my buddies, a Glock armorer, install a set of Glock night sights.

Teecher45
11-26-2011, 14:59
Okay guys, a Gen 3 it is. You all have made some great points. Thanks.

glock20c10mm
11-26-2011, 15:05
Okay guys, a Gen 3 it is. You all have made some great points. Thanks.
Be sure to drop back in and give us your personal impressions after the first day out shooting with it!:thumbsup:

awdxtc
11-26-2011, 15:10
The Gen3 G20SF I just bought is one of the best firearm purchases I have ever made. Period. You won't regret it. Mine was test fired in August of this year, and still has the machined extractor. It shoots great, is as accurate as my 1911's, and is a blast to shoot. When I had it at the range at work there were people lined up wanting to shoot it.

My thoughts exactly. The G20SF is one of if not the best guns I have ever owned.