reloading for glock .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reloading for glock .40

easyj75
11-24-2011, 23:43
Any advice for reloading the .40s&w for the glock.. I don't want to buy an aftermarket barrel and I am a little concerned about the lack of case support in the factory barrels that I have read about.. I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.. I am new to reloading and I am going to start reloading 9mm and .40 for glocks..

Thanks in advance ezj

PrecisionRifleman
11-24-2011, 23:52
Keep the loads mild and you will do fine and get decent case life. I wouldn't push them too hot in the stock barrel. If at any point you do desire to push hot loads that would be a reason to consider an after market barrel. I've gotten 8 loads out of a single 45 casing in a G30 pushing mild 800fps 230gr. I can't speak for the 40S&W in a Glock because I haven't loaded for my G23 yet, but I imagine so long as you keep your loads mild to warm you will do just fine with the stock barrel.

Edit: I could have used the casing more than 8 times, but that's the limit of where I feel comfortable in recycling a casing.

Steve Koski
11-25-2011, 00:08
It's easy. The most important thing is to pick a powder you can't double charge in the .40 case. A fluffy, medium speed powder. Like WSF or Unique.

Beyond that, follow the manual and have fun. It really is easy to reload for a .40.

Colorado4Wheel
11-25-2011, 08:37
Get a case gauge if your worried about the bulge. It will likely tell you your brass sizes up just fine. Or you could use your dial calipers but that is boring to most people. Personally, all my .40 brass sizes to spec using a standard Lee die. LOTS of people have bought into the hype/myth of Glock bulge. So instead of reading about it, get a Lee sizing die is my recommendation and just start loading. I am going to bet your ammo sizes up fine and loads the same as any other ammo. Glock barrels are NOT horrible. They have about the same amount of case support as any other barrel (except too tight match). Glock is the victim of being the first to sell a ton of .40 guns and then Federal making some sub standard .40 brass that naturally got shot in those Glocks. It's far more interesting to blame that weird little plastic gun then the Federal.

DWARREN123
11-25-2011, 08:54
I reload for a G22 and G20SF. Love shooting my own ammo. I only use good R-P brass, CCI #500 SPP, Longshot powder and many different types of bullets.
I find a load that interest me and work up from there. I do not go over max but many of my loads are at max.
I like 180gr JHP bullets or 175gr LSWC bullets. I have not had any problems with hot reloaded ammo but you must check that everything is as it should be and meets your specs.
I find that most of my reloads beat factory ammo for performance by quite abit and actually is more accurate and cleaner. :supergrin:

dwhite53
11-25-2011, 09:08
I've been loading for my G22 for a couple years with no problems. Before this gun I had a S&W Sigma .40 and had no problems. I've been reloading in general for around 30 years off and on.

As others have said, don't push max loads. Mid-speed powders preferred so you don't double charge anything. Watch your overall length with the chosen load. Make sure you've got good neck tension on the bullet to prevent set back when fining.

I've never gotten a "guppy belly" on anything I've reloaded for my Glock. Mine is a Gen 3 with good case support. It must take one SERIOUS hot load to get them. I've never been even close.

Go for. It's very rewarding and will save you a bundle of money. Well, you won't really save any money,
you'll just shoot more.:supergrin:

All the Best,
D. White

fredj338
11-25-2011, 10:03
Any advice for reloading the .40s&w for the glock.. I don't want to buy an aftermarket barrel and I am a little concerned about the lack of case support in the factory barrels that I have read about.. I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.. I am new to reloading and I am going to start reloading 9mm and .40 for glocks..

Thanks in advance ezj
Where do gun hsops hire these guys? Nothing wrong w/ reloading for a GLock & factory bbl. Just use the proper powder for the application & don't push for nuclear loads & reloading for the GLock is no diff than any other pistol. If you want to shoot hot 40 loads in a Glock, get a 10mm.:dunno:

Myke_Hart
11-25-2011, 10:11
I agree with all above. Reload away.

Only get a after market barrel if you are new to reloading LEAD bullets. Cleaning leading out of those micro channels sucks. But it can still be done. And if you load lead correctly... you won't get any leading at all.:supergrin:

Case support is fine. I get guppy belly "glock Smile" on my hot loads but use a special die to remove it if it happens. "10mm"

Colorado4Wheel
11-25-2011, 10:33
I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.

Thanks in advance ezj

I scanned your first post and just focused on the title for the most part. It's hard to respond nicely to that. Basically, they are giving advice on a topic they know nothing about. I would recommend against lead bullets in a Glock. Not because it can't be done, just because it's not as easy to do as normal barrel. Beyond that, reloading for a Glock is no different then reloading for another gun.

It's the most popular USPSA Production gun by a huge margin. The vast majority of shooters use reloads in that sport.

I would look for new people to get advice from.

Murphy's Law
11-25-2011, 14:13
I've been reloading my Glock 23C for nearly 5 years now without any problems. /issues whatsoever. Used to use Titegroup and then 5.5 gr of Unique under a 180gr bullet. Recently switched to W231 just for giggles. I also bought a "EFK" after-market barrel just so I could have the best of two worlds (i.e. ported and non-ported).

shotgunred
11-25-2011, 15:32
It would be best not to get or trust the reloading data from the gun shop guys.

Lazy R
11-25-2011, 23:29
My G23 has never shot anything but reloads. I use the Montana Gold 155 grain fmj bullets, and over 6 grains of Clays and magnum primers (just because I have a lot of them) it shoots reliably and goes 1060 to 1085-ish fps.

Hogpauls
11-26-2011, 07:41
^Everything they said. Load away and never look back.

Steve Koski
11-26-2011, 19:47
Don't tell anyone, but my boy and I each put 150 rounds through Glock 40s today. Lead bullets even!

Steve Koski
11-26-2011, 19:47
STOCK barrels.

The horror.

garyjandfamily
11-26-2011, 19:54
There's been some good advice given above. I've shot 1000's of rounds of reloads through my Glock 22 and 27 (although I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 right now.)

Give your manual a good read, but here's a great article for some light load information:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/

nitesite10mm
11-26-2011, 20:11
It's easy. The most important thing is to pick a powder you can't double charge in the .40 case. A fluffy, medium speed powder. Like WSF or Unique.

Beyond that, follow the manual and have fun. It really is easy to reload for a .40.

Having been written by and coming from a noted champion shooter, I hope there are some readers here who give this post some serious skreet cred.

bush pilot
11-26-2011, 21:06

People pay good money to hear Mr Koski speak, we're lucky to have such a noted expert on our humble site. He's also considered the foremost authority on the Load Master in the country.

easyj75
11-26-2011, 21:20
Thanks guys, good stuff

dvrdwn72
11-26-2011, 21:41
I've shot thousands of reloads, even lead. With lead though all you have to da is clean the barrel a lot. I reload 4.3 grains titegroup with 180 grain precision delta at 1.126 oal.

Steve Koski
11-26-2011, 22:32
People pay good money to hear Mr Koski speak, we're lucky to have such a noted expert on our humble site. He's also considered the foremost authority on the Load Master in the country.

I liked the loadmaster so much, I bought the company.

Lazy R
11-26-2011, 23:37
Loaded up some 155 grain fmj Montana Gold boolyets with 5 grains Universal Clays, and some with 4.5 grains Universal Clays.

The 5 grain loads tripped the traps in the 850 fps range, and cycled fine.

The 4.5 grain loads were sub-700 mostly in the 680-ish range. A couple wenth through at about 650 and I had failed ejection at that speed.

The 5 grainers were real pleasant to shoot. The 4.5 had really low recoil. I might run up some 4.7 or so grain loads just fer f'un to see if they work. I like low recoil play rounds.

Edit: Loaded some of these with 4.8 grains of Clays, they shot at an average of 800 fps, and cycled the pistol every time. Glock 23. Nice load, easy shooting.

Roadkill_751
11-27-2011, 17:35

I use Solo 1000, and I never had any problems.

WiskyT
11-27-2011, 17:42
Don't tell anyone, but my boy and I each put 150 rounds through Glock 40s today. Lead bullets even!

Yup. 3.5 Bullseye and a 180 LFP and the primers are rounded like a 38 Spl load. Even duplicating ball ammo with Unique and soft bullets cast from range scrap and I have ZERO issues with the stock barrel.

MinervaDoe
11-27-2011, 18:27
I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks,
My Glocks have been digesting nothing but a steady diet of reloads since I got my first one in 1994.
I've never had a problem with my brass.
You might take your gunshop advice with a grain of salt. People working retail sling a LOT of BS to sell what they have in stock. In the case of your local gunshop guys, it sounds like they sling a lot of BS to make up for a knowledge gap.

Goldstar225
11-27-2011, 20:09
Start loading for that Glock. I've been reloading .40 S&W in the glock for 15 years without a single problem. I do load slightly under max and will not shoot lead in the factory barrel.

rpgman
11-27-2011, 21:15
I've been reloading for my G27 since I got it 5 months ago.
Never an issue.

Thanks in advance ezj

bush pilot
11-27-2011, 21:40

Thanks in advance ezj

If the "guys in the local gunshops" say not to shoot reloads from a Glock it must be true. Do they per chance sell high priced factory ammo at said gunshops?

tiny68
11-29-2011, 14:43
I developed a load with W231 and 155 XTPs using Winny SPP this weekend. Worked flawless. I loaded up on 155 XTP blenished bullets last year and have just got around to using them.

Luck, Tim

easyj75
11-30-2011, 17:47
Start loading for that Glock. I've been reloading .40 S&W in the glock for 15 years without a single problem. I do load slightly under max and will not shoot lead in the factory barrel.

will do, i got a bunch of berrys bullets and some unique powder

BobPayne44
12-05-2011, 18:26
I liked the loadmaster so much, I bought the company.

well i wish you would figure out a way to keep the holes from wearing out where the pins and bolts go through the cast where the grease fittings are.

les then a few 1000 rounds loaded and its full of slop. and yes it stays greased, called lee and they want half price of the press new to re condition it? WTH

Taterhead
12-05-2011, 19:13
Load them up. If you get Glock smiles, you are too hot. A little guppy belly is normal.

I don't have as much experience with the 40 as I do with its daddy, but Accurate #7 and a 180 gr Berry's bullet gave pretty good results for range work in the 40. 7.9 grains grouped well with a smallish high/low spread on velocities.

Steve Koski
12-05-2011, 21:15
well i wish you would figure out a way to keep the holes from wearing out where the pins and bolts go through the cast where the grease fittings are.

les then a few 1000 rounds loaded and its full of slop. and yes it stays greased, called lee and they want half price of the press new to re condition it? WTH

Who said that?

I'll fire their ass!

nraman
12-10-2011, 00:52
will do, i got a bunch of berrys bullets and some unique powder

Berry's bullets are speed limited due to their thin plating. Otherwise they are fine.
On another note.
I only use jacketed or plated bullets. I would not assume that lead bullets are OK in polygonal rifling. There are reports of heavy leading with polygonal rifling but it could be nothing but internet BS.
Talking about internet BS reminds me. No, the 9mm has never had unsupported or loose chambers, in fact Glock 9mm barrels are as tight and supported as the Beretta chambers or more. I cannot remember my earlier Glock .40 chambers but my Gen 4 G22 and G27 are fully supported. If you have a Gen 4 .40 pull the barrel and drop a round. No part of the case that is not solid brass is unsupported. Easy to verify.
Same thing for the .357SIG.
No reason to avoid reloading for the above cartridges.

norton
12-10-2011, 11:08
I just pumped 100 180 MC Remington bullets through my Glock 35 on this cold Saturday morning.
4.9 grains of Bullseye
I own about 15 handguns off all varieties, wheelies and auto loaders, and I shoot the 35 by far better then any of the others. And that includes the vaunted 1911.

robin303
12-10-2011, 11:39
I have close to 7000 rounds through my 23 and only 200 are factory.

dvrdwn72
12-10-2011, 14:06
Be careful,,,, your glock will disintegrate shooting reloads!!!!! Now using titegroup in the .40 your sure to blow it up!! Trust me!!! The internet told me so! In all seriousness, I have come to like power pistol, titegroup, and unique behind 155 grain noses and 180 grain precision delta.