2nd gen Glock 20 questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen Glock 20 questions

stevus
11-25-2011, 09:39
Im a newb to 10mm and have a few questions . Im going to be shooting some underwood ammo . . I will contact Glock to see about updating the gun on monday . Should I change the recoil spring to a wolf? which rating?Good ideato change to a 3.5lb connector? anything else I should change ? . I need to research ammo but can someone give a quick rundown of when and why to use 165gr vs 180 vs 200 ?

Taterhead
11-25-2011, 10:02
I wouldn't change any parts until you put a bunch of rounds through it to see what, if anything, needs to be changed. Right off the bat you might dislike the sights. But as for trigger parts, barrels, recoil springs; I would wait and see what you know that you need. If Glock has some recommended updates, that would be a different situation.

Regarding ammunition: Generally speaking, heavier bullets penetrate better. 200s are good for wilderness protection and hunting. For self defence against humans, a lot of guys gravitate toward lighter bullets (135 gr to 165 gr) for added energies. Lighter bullets going faster can have more explosive results. I personally like a 165 gr Gold Dot for around town and a 200 grain gr WFNGC hardcast bullet for in the Idaho wilderness. My all-purpose do-it-all bullet is a 180 gr XTP.

TreyG-20
11-25-2011, 11:05
I wouldn't change any parts until you put a bunch of rounds through it to see what, if anything, needs to be changed. Right off the bat you might dislike the sights. But as for trigger parts, barrels, recoil springs; I would wait and see what you know that you need. If Glock has some recommended updates, that would be a different situation.

Regarding ammunition: Generally speaking, heavier bullets penetrate better. 200s are good for wilderness protection and hunting. For self defence against humans, a lot of guys gravitate toward lighter bullets (135 gr to 165 gr) for added energies. Lighter bullets going faster can have more explosive results. I personally like a 165 gr Gold Dot for around town and a 200 grain gr WFNGC hardcast bullet for in the Idaho wilderness. My all-purpose do-it-all bullet is a 180 gr XTP.
I completely agree with everything said here. Go shoot ti a bit just the way it is and then if you start feeling like you need some upgrades then by all means. I run mine completely stock except for the sights and 25 cent trigger job and love it just the way it is.

arushus
11-25-2011, 11:47
I agree with the above posts also! With regards to an aftermarket recoil spring, I personally installec an ISMI 22lb spring on a lwd ss guide rod, and it runs great! It is perfect for everything I run through it, and I do mean everything. I have a .40sw conversion barrel, and even mouse fart, cheap tulammo .40sw is able to cycle the slide reliably, however, the brass pretty much lands a foot away from my feet, haha. But I still leave it in, cuz it works for everything. Im considering getting a 24lb spring for hot 10mm loads, since my cases from the hot stuff still fly twenty feet or more. Your results may be different since some of this is probably due to the fact that my slide runs very smoothly on the rails with very little resistance.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably opt for a 20lb and 24lb spring combination, instead of the 22lb and 24lb combo Im gonna end up with...

arushus
11-25-2011, 11:53
I also use 180gr xtp's as a do it all round. For example, when Im camping I will carry these since I never know if im going to run into a deranged hippie who's pissed I cut down a tree for firewood, or if Ill run into the momma black bear whose cubs were playing in said tree!

stevus
11-25-2011, 12:20
First my thanks to everyone . I went to the range earlier and put 50 rnd thru it . The first 47 were perfect the last 3 rounds where fte's.. #48 and #49 were completely left in the chamber the last rnd came back about 1/4 of an in . could this be from lack of any lubrication since I didnt really clean/lube anything first .I just took it apart and reassembled it last night .Or do I need to replace the extractor . ?

TreyG-20
11-25-2011, 12:41
Give it a good cleaning and maybe a tad bit of lube. I run mine completely dry but I clean it completely after every trip. Might just be dirty

arushus
11-25-2011, 12:42
Doubt if it is a lube issue, glocks are built to run without lube. But, just in case give it a good cleaning. Probably more of an extractor issue, have you taken it out to look for damage? Also, with it being old, the extractor plunger could be damaged, or the spring could be weak.

stevus
11-25-2011, 15:00
Im going to disassemble it tom.By the way I was shooting cci ammo I picked up at a pawn shop .