Best combat loads in M27? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best combat loads in M27?

Doc Mark
11-25-2011, 10:28
Greetings, All,

I've been thinking about changing the ammunition that I have long carried in my Glock M27, and thought I'd ask here for some opinions and experiences. I have been using Federal HydraShocks, in either 180 or 165 grain size, and also some FMJ of various brands and types. So far, I've had no problems, other than a single failure to go full into battery during one shooting session. A quick smack on the back of the slide fully seated the bullet, and I've not had that problem again since that single time. Probably my own fault, in some way.

But, I've been seeing some test information which shows the old HydraShock design is not as effective, with sometimes shallow penetration, and I no longer have full confidence in it. I've ordered some Speer Gold Dot 230 gr .45ACP rounds, as well as some ASYM 185 gr JHP's, for my Colt LW OM pistol, and will try some Gold Dot's in my Glock, as well. I do not think that ASYM make a .40 S&W offering, or I'd try them, too. What other rounds do you suggest for my little Glock? I want a reliable combination of penetration and expansion, without failures after having gone through clothing, barriers, and other such impediments to bullet performance. Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or experiences you can share with me! Take care and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

barth
11-25-2011, 15:29
Wow this just keeps coming up.....

Lot of good high tech SD ammo out these days.
Short list of some of the best:
Speer GDHP
Winchester Ranger T-Series
Federal HST

Any weight will work.
Generally the middle weights perform the best (155/165 gr)
But 180 or 135 is going to hurt real bad too - LOL!

I personally load Speer GDHP 155 gr in my G27.
They run about 1150 fps and 450 E from the 3.46 in. barrel

Merkavaboy
11-25-2011, 18:16
ASYM's ammo is brand new and has zero street credibility (and I doubt that even a third of those who read this threat even knows of or even heard of ASYM), and you want to consider using such ammo for SD? My advise would be to stick to the major brands (Federal, Winchester, Remington, Speer) for SD ammo and let someone else be a guinea pig for testing out unknown brands of so-called "custom" or "match" grade SD ammo.

Redstate
11-25-2011, 19:09
I don't know which is the "best". In any event, I carry GD 180s in my 27. It has fed the limited # that I have put through it flawlessly.

Doc Mark
11-26-2011, 10:57
Greeting, Gentlemen,

Thanks for the recommendations! I imagine I'll go ahead and try the Speer Gold Dot JHP's, and a few others, just to see what my M27 likes the best, as far as accuracy and function. I do like the idea that ASYM embraces, and from the tests I've seen on the .45ACP 185 grain load, it looks very promising, indeed. But, time will tell, I figure, and we'll see how things look a little later down the road. Thanks, again, Guys, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Sorry if this topic has been brought up ad nauseum. I'm new here, and want to make sure I have the best and newest information and experiences with this very important subject. Thanks, again, for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ak.Hiker
11-27-2011, 23:02
Between the 2 Hydra Shok loads the 180 grain is full power and the 165 was loaded down from full power. I carried the 180 HS for years in my Glock 23 and still would with out any worries if i still had the gun. If you like the Federal loads and want to change to a newer design you might want to try their HST 180 grain load. In my Glock 22 I now carry Hornady 155 grain XTP's. I also have been trying out the Winchester 180 grain PDX-1 but still carry the XTP as they are well tested in my gun.

NG VI
11-27-2011, 23:38
Mine always liked the 180 grain HSTs, and I liked the combination.

180 Gold Dots are a great option too, and the current production Ranger-Ts are excellent choices, probably as good as HST.

it's very hard to go wrong with any of the .40 offerings though, and if you stick to major manufacturers, or reputable manufacturers that use well-known bullets like the Gold Dot, you're good to go with a 27. If you are buying loads that were available around the time the .40 first appeared till about the end of the nineties-early 2000s there will probably be more of the classic light/fast vs slow/heavy differences in loads, though it tends to be muted with .40 given the relatively fast heavy loads and the fairly heavy fast loads.

Get something that is a known quantity and you will have picked out a good load for you, unless it doesn't interact with your gun or yourself well.

collim1
11-28-2011, 06:11
ASYM's ammo is brand new and has zero street credibility (and I doubt that even a third of those who read this threat even knows of or even heard of ASYM), and you want to consider using such ammo for SD? My advise would be to stick to the major brands (Federal, Winchester, Remington, Speer) for SD ammo and let someone else be a guinea pig for testing out unknown brands of so-called "custom" or "match" grade SD ammo.

They do use well known and proven projectiles, just loaded into their cases. Problem is they are expensive.

shark_za
11-28-2011, 13:04
To me a M27 is a .357 N-Frame revolver, a G27 is my little carry pistol.

I would load yours with any 180gr bullet that feed's 100% and shoots to point of aim.
Mine has 180gr XTP's in it right now.

cadillacguns
11-30-2011, 05:26
SPEER GDHP 180 gr .40, and or Winchester PDX-1 180 gr .40 is what I carry.

jeb_ingram
11-30-2011, 08:53
HST or Gold Dots both 165 gr.