Shell plate tension vs primer seating relationship? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shell plate tension vs primer seating relationship?

Kwesi
11-25-2011, 09:39
I decided to remove the shell plate (550) for general cleaning. My press was functioning fine. After reassembling I find that the primers are not seating high enough & protruding significantly. I was unable to located anything, spent primer, etc., that was restricting the shell plate or the primer cup I decided to tighten down the shell plate all the way so that it could not be indexed. Then the primer seated just fine.

So I proceeded to keep adjusting the tension on the shell plate, after removing the brass tipped screw, until the primers seated properly. The issue is that I used to be able to index the press much easier i.e. much less shell plate tension.

I'm curious as to why? Can anyone shed light?

Colorado4Wheel
11-25-2011, 09:50
Is the plate upsidedown?

Kwesi
11-25-2011, 10:18
Shellplate is correct with the number facing up.

mogollon
11-25-2011, 10:28
Apply a light coat of grease where the underside of the shellplate bolt head contacts the recess in the top of the index sprocket. Then tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, and back up until it indexes. Then snug the brass-tipped set screw, and verify primer seating. It's also a good idea to check the two tiny bolts that secure the roller bracket to the underside of the platform. If the left one backs out, it stops against the top of the primer slide, interfering with primer seating.

GioaJack
11-25-2011, 10:57
They're still trying to get Little Stevie's medications regulated... you'd be wise to listen to Mogollon.

Jack

Kwesi
11-25-2011, 15:19
Apply a light coat of grease where the underside of the shellplate bolt head contacts the recess in the top of the index sprocket. Then tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, and back up until it indexes. Then snug the brass-tipped set screw, and verify primer seating. It's also a good idea to check the two tiny bolts that secure the roller bracket to the underside of the platform. If the left one backs out, it stops against the top of the primer slide, interfering with primer seating.

Thanks! I'll check the 2 bolts (when I figure which ones your suggesting). Will only grease work or can I use my gun lube?

Colorado4Wheel
11-25-2011, 17:07
I had some Moly Grease that worked great between the Star and the bolt. Anything will help. When you tighten the set screw the setup will actually tighten up a smidgen more. Sometimes you have to loosen it a little at a time (from the too tight position) to get it just right.

Kwesi
11-26-2011, 07:29
The two tiny bolts (yeah I found them) were rock solid tight. I added a little lube on the underside of the shell plate bolt head. The press is running fine, just takes more effort to index. I think that is going to be a blessing since I was crushing the top of too many 10mm cases. Propably due to having the shell plate too loose. Thanks to all!

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 08:28
So put a wrench in the bolt (do this first as a reference), loosen the set screw, turn the wrench just a smidgen, tighten set screw, remove wrench.

njl
11-26-2011, 08:39
I generally tighten the shell plate bolt until I can't index the shell plate. Then carefully back out the bolt a little at a time until the shell plate just indexes smoothly. You basically want it as tight as possible without being too tight to work.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 09:32
Exactly, Take the toolhead out, put the wrench in the bolt on top, loosen the set bolt and just fiddle till it's just tight enough but not dragging on anything. It's not that hard. Key is to keep the wrench in the bolt so that you have a reference of where you are and how much you moved it.

Kwesi
11-26-2011, 09:46
I understand. Murphys Law taught me to keep it much more fluid than what you are discussing. He is the instructor and I was just the student. He does not load the tall 10mm cases, 40 S&W.

unclebob
11-26-2011, 09:50
I use my right elbow to hold the handle back. I leave the Allen wrench in the bolt. Tighten the bolt all the way down then loose it and trying turning the shell plate. Get the shell plate were it will turn without binding leave the Allen wrench in the bolt and then lock it down with the set screw.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 09:51
I don't know what that means, but you don't want it dragging while you load. You want it smooth. Even if your just a grasshopper.