Carrying a full size 1911 really isn't that bad. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a full size 1911 really isn't that bad.

iluv2viddyfilms
11-25-2011, 17:30
I watched the Nutnfancy project and several other youtube videos about people saying it is sooo difficult to carry a full sized stainless steel 1911. Well I have a Colt series 70 mkiv and it's not bad at all. And I'm a fairly compact person, 5'7" about 160 lbs. The weight doesn't bother me with a decent belt. I have an OK belt and an OK Galco IWB holster, but the two belt clips are very close together so if my belt isn't on tight the angle does shift around slightly.

For winter carry it's fine, even for fall and spring. I have a g27 for summer that I can carry with tight t-shirts.

But while I understand that the 1911, might be a bit on the heavy size, I don't find it unreasonable. I just ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck online after about a year or two or hearing about them. Yes, I finally broke down.

We'll see how it goes, but my primary reason is to distribute the weight of my 1911 around the 2-4 position of the belt.

http://coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/Colt70l.jpg
Note: This is not my gun, but it's almost exactly the same, except mine is stainless steel. You can see mine on my 1911 youtube video.

Deye76
11-25-2011, 17:37
"Carrying a full size 1911 really isn't that bad. "

But a Glock 39 is soooo much better/comfortable.

iluv2viddyfilms
11-25-2011, 17:46
I've never carried a Glock 39, but isn't it a bit more wide than a 1911. Also it has only six rounds of a smaller .45 cartridge. I could be wrong though.

Deye76
11-25-2011, 17:51
Slightly wider, half the weight. Yes 6 rounds, one well placed shot with the frontal diameter of a .45 usually get's it done.

rohanreginald
11-25-2011, 17:56
I sometimes carry a full size 1911. It is my second choice to a G26. The weight is the only issue for me.

Kahr Fan!
11-25-2011, 18:05
My belt gun when I ccw is an all stainless steel Sig P220 in 45ACP. Dimensionally it is very similar to an all steel 1911. I carry mine all day comfortably either in a OWB galco combat master or an IWB cross breed super tuck and I also have a high quality galco belt. In my experiences as long as you have a quality belt/ holster the size and weight of a belt gun does not matter. The P220 is pretty thin compared to other guns so maybe a thicker gun would bother me. I generally carry at 4:00.

Fastbear
11-25-2011, 18:07
Series 70 was my first big gun 39 years ago. Still have her, with a few updates the old girl shoots fine. The Glocks replaced her for work carry as they are easier to live with for the all shift carry. Always like to look at the Series 70-beautiful gun.

Sheepdog Scout
11-25-2011, 18:29

It all depends on the person. I carry a Beretta 92 100% of the time when I'm not at home. I've traveled across the country with it on my hip. It has never bothered me or been uncomfortable.

Wayne D
11-25-2011, 18:42
A full size 1911 is dimensionally close to a G34/35. I carry a G35 IWB under a tee shirt with no problems. Like Sheepdog says, it depends on your body size/type.

BK63
11-25-2011, 19:34
I love shooting 1911's and have a couple of my own. The right holster makes it work, but for me I just can't get used to that cocked and locked thing, so I carry other things.

seanmac45
11-25-2011, 19:49
I carry a 5" 1911 all day every day from the moment I arise until I go to sleep.

Sparks gunbelt, VM II and a spare mag/surefire combo pouch on the right side to boot.

Hardly notice them at all.

fuzzy03cls
11-25-2011, 19:56
It's not the size it's the weight. My 1911 & Beretta M9 stay in the safe. I carry a G22. Big but not a brick.

seanmac45
11-25-2011, 20:01
Please.................

xmanhockey7
11-25-2011, 22:08
You are part of the smaller amount of concealed carriers who carrying a full size 1911 doesn't bother them. If I'm open carrying I don't mind carrying a G22 with me but for concealed carry I find it prints pretty bad if I sit down. Standing is fine though.

cowboywannabe
11-25-2011, 22:23
mostly depends on your build.

im 6'04" 240 lbs, i can carry a G20 IWB without difficulty, as well as a full sized 1911. im not average sized.

dressing around a gun can make it easier to carry many kinds, but in the summer that isnt pratical for many.

JK-linux
11-25-2011, 22:36
Two ends of the extreme for me. A full sized steel framed 1911 or an alloy and steel Colt Cobra. I'm a lazy CCW'er who doesn't like to play dress up with holsters and belts and untucked shirts just to run out for some smokes and gas, so the Cobra usually rides shotgun 90% of the time. The 1911 is there when I have more time, or more reason to carry something better.

ancient_serpent
11-25-2011, 22:43
I've never had a problem carrying a full sized 1911, either.

Tank44
11-25-2011, 22:44
I carry a full size 1911 and have for years. I tried polymer guns and just could not get comfortable with them. I carry mine in a Galco Royal Deluxe and don't have any problems with concealment. I love the weight of an all metal gun and find I can control it much better than lighter guns.

Bodyarmorguy
11-26-2011, 01:54

Carrying a pistol is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting.

You are part of the smaller amount of concealed carriers who carrying a full size 1911 doesn't bother them. If I'm open carrying I don't mind carrying a G22 with me but for concealed carry I find it prints pretty bad if I sit down. Standing is fine though.

The whole printing thing really gets me. First, the majority of the sheep around you will never notice the print. For crying out loud, a few years ago a guy walks into a major shopping mall wearing a short jacket with the barrel of an AK47 sticking out the bottom of it, nobody noticed until he started shooting.

If someone does see it "printing" so what. Almost everyone is walking around with some giant smartphone on their hip. Again, nobody notices and if they do they think it's a phone.

Carrying concealed is not about convenience or comfort, it's about committment to your safety and that of those around you. My off-duty dress is most commonly a pair of cargo shorts and a polo shirt. I quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, Glock 22, 23 and a spare mag without an over-sized shirt. I am 5'10/190. No, you won't catch me wearing those ever so stylish Ed Hardy or Affliction t-shirts that every Jersey Shore wanna be tool is wearing, but hey at least yoou'll be a stylish looking corpse as you struggled to get your .32 Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP that was "better than nothing" out of the pocket of your skin tight True Religion jeans.

Not a flame on the posters I quoted, merely used to illustrate my commentary.
End of rant:rant::popcorn:

JuneyBooney
11-26-2011, 01:58
I prefer the 4 inch barrels but the 1911 firearms are nice and flat.:supergrin:

xmanhockey7
11-26-2011, 02:46
Carrying a pistol is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting.

The whole printing thing really gets me. First, the majority of the sheep around you will never notice the print. For crying out loud, a few years ago a guy walks into a major shopping mall wearing a short jacket with the barrel of an AK47 sticking out the bottom of it, nobody noticed until he started shooting.

If someone does see it "printing" so what. Almost everyone is walking around with some giant smartphone on their hip. Again, nobody notices and if they do they think it's a phone.

Carrying concealed is not about convenience or comfort, it's about committment to your safety and that of those around you. My off-duty dress is most commonly a pair of cargo shorts and a polo shirt. I quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, Glock 22, 23 and a spare mag without an over-sized shirt. I am 5'10/190. No, you won't catch me wearing those ever so stylish Ed Hardy or Affliction t-shirts that every Jersey Shore wanna be tool is wearing, but hey at least yoou'll be a stylish looking corpse as you struggled to get your .32 Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP that was "better than nothing" out of the pocket of your skin tight True Religion jeans.

To me the most important part is having the gun on you. Part of it is having the gun be comfortable. I normally OC anyway but I've found when I carry it in my shoulder holster (CC) the bugger sticks out when I sit down. I don't make a huge deal about people seeing but in certain CC situation I want to absolutely sure that no one sees. In other CC situations I could care less. For instance I'll have the G22 on my hip with my coat covering it. If my coat opens up and people see I don't care. I do realize people will probably not notice the print especially because many don't even notice I'm OCing. And btw I'm quite smaller than you, 5'7 145ibs.

HerrGlock
11-26-2011, 03:49
That all depends on your belt.

You can have a cheesy holster and a steel 1911 but you won't notice it if you have a hell of a good gun belt.

It's the ones who say that a "good, thick belt" from Wal-Mart is good enough that have issues with carrying a heavy gun and talk about how uncomfortable it is.

seanmac45
11-26-2011, 04:54

:rofl:LMAO!

You stated that so much better than I, sir. Well done.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-26-2011, 08:10
. No, you won't catch me wearing those ever so stylish Ed Hardy or Affliction t-shirts that every Jersey Shore wanna be tool is wearing

God bless you sir for not wearing Ed Hardy shirts. I went into a restaurant the other day and besides the waitstaff, I was the only dude without a fake tan, epic flashy gay tshirt, and hairgel. For once, I was the coolest guy in the room.:supergrin:

Deye76
11-26-2011, 13:07
"Carrying a pistol is not supposed to be comfortable,"

Well then, you'll never know the difference. I carried a 1911 for many years, was no more "comforting" than any other pistol I've carried. However it was like having a quart of milk, weight wise, on my belt.

Bodyarmorguy
11-26-2011, 16:24
To me the most important part is having the gun on you. Part of it is having the gun be comfortable. I normally OC anyway but I've found when I carry it in my shoulder holster (CC) the bugger sticks out when I sit down. I don't make a huge deal about people seeing but in certain CC situation I want to absolutely sure that no one sees. In other CC situations I could care less. For instance I'll have the G22 on my hip with my coat covering it. If my coat opens up and people see I don't care. I do realize people will probably not notice the print especially because many don't even notice I'm OCing. And btw I'm quite smaller than you, 5'7 145ibs.

I will politely disagree. I don't believe that there is any part of it at all. It's all one thing: Committment to carrying, committment to carrying a caliber and platform capable of quickly ending a lethal incident, a proper system of belt and holster to sufficently carry that platform. I shake my head when I see guys with a smartphone on their belt and a pistol in their pocket......it should be the other way around. No need to quick draw the phone from the belt. Some of these same folks go to the range with their holster, extra mag pouches, serious caliber and platform pistol to train....then stick the .32, .380 in their pocket because, it's better than nothing. Okay. And at 5'7 /145 you should still be able to adequately conceal a fighting caliber/platfor pistol. If you search youtube long enough there is a video out there of a kid no bigger than you, just wearing a slightly oversized shirt, hiding multiple handguns and even a shotgun beneath his clothing. I say again, it's about committment, not convenience.

It does not even have to be a 5" 1911. I consider a Glock 26 loaded with the proper ammo to be a fightstopper, a HKP7M8 is very concealable.

That all depends on your belt.

You can have a cheesy holster and a steel 1911 but you won't notice it if you have a hell of a good gun belt.

It's the ones who say that a "good, thick belt" from Wal-Mart is good enough that have issues with carrying a heavy gun and talk about how uncomfortable it is.

Bingo, again "shooters" that spend $500, $1000, $1500 plus on a pistol, then go to a $15 wal mart belt and $20 nylon POS holster. Go figure.

"Carrying a pistol is not supposed to be comfortable,"

Well then, you'll never know the difference. I carried a 1911 for many years, was no more "comforting" than any other pistol I've carried. However it was like having a quart of milk, weight wise, on my belt.

Again, you hav selected what is convenient, and it is your choice. I have interviewed a number of guys following officer involved shootings and have been in one myself. None of the cops I interviewed not myself ever thought during the shooting "Gee, I wish I had a gun that was smaller, lighter weight, in a smaller caliber with no sights and a ****ty trigger pull that could be more difficult to present by getting it out of my pocket. As a note, my shooting was while I was working UC in the narc unit and the pistol was a LW Commander in .45 acp. My thought during this incident was "F&%K, where is my rifle?!"

Deye76
11-26-2011, 16:51
I will politely disagree. I don't believe that there is any part of it at all. It's all one thing: Committment to carrying, committment to carrying a caliber and platform capable of quickly ending a lethal incident, a proper system of belt and holster to sufficently carry that platform. I shake my head when I see guys with a smartphone on their belt and a pistol in their pocket......it should be the other way around. No need to quick draw the phone from the belt. Some of these same folks go to the range with their holster, extra mag pouches, serious caliber and platform pistol to train....then stick the .32, .380 in their pocket because, it's better than nothing. Okay. And at 5'7 /145 you should still be able to adequately conceal a fighting caliber/platfor pistol. If you search youtube long enough there is a video out there of a kid no bigger than you, just wearing a slightly oversized shirt, hiding multiple handguns and even a shotgun beneath his clothing. I say again, it's about committment, not convenience.

It does not even have to be a 5" 1911. I consider a Glock 26 loaded with the proper ammo to be a fightstopper, a HKP7M8 is very concealable.

Bingo, again "shooters" that spend $500, $1000, $1500 plus on a pistol, then go to a $15 wal mart belt and $20 nylon POS holster. Go figure.

Again, you hav selected what is convenient, and it is your choice. I have interviewed a number of guys following officer involved shootings and have been in one myself. None of the cops I interviewed not myself ever thought during the shooting "Gee, I wish I had a gun that was smaller, lighter weight, in a smaller caliber with no sights and a ****ty trigger pull that could be more difficult to present by getting it out of my pocket. As a note, my shooting was while I was working UC in the narc unit and the pistol was a LW Commander in .45 acp. My thought during this incident was "F&%K, where is my rifle?!"

You missed it by a mile, bordering on being an idiot. Do you know that a model 39 is a .45? Is that a smaller caliber? Yes it's lighter but not an issue in a fire fight, only carry, which is the subject of this thread. I select what is proven, not convienient. And if your interviews were as biased as your response, then nothing but BS. :wavey: Done.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-26-2011, 17:02
You missed it by a mile, bordering on being an idiot

Deye76, And this was an appropriate response how??:dunno:

Deye76
11-26-2011, 17:05
Deye76, And this was an appropriate response how??:dunno:

Cherry pick if you must, I suggest read all the comments...and responses.

Bodyarmorguy
11-26-2011, 17:06
You missed it by a mile, bordering on being an idiot. Do you know that a model 39 is a .45? Is that a smaller caliber? Yes it's lighter but not an issue in a fire fight, only carry, which is the subject of this thread. I select what is proven, not convienient. And if your interviews were as biased as your response, then nothing but BS. :wavey: Done.

Deye, you are correct, I either missed that your pistol is a G39 or I had you confused with another poster. The G39 is a good concealed carrying gun. My girlfriends agency issues G37's and she has a G39 that I bought her for back-up and off-duty carry. I like the gun myself, even to the point of preferring it to a G36 that I owned briefly. Even at that, my response to you was still accurate. The G39 is a convenient choice, and I get that. I too sometime compromise by carrying a G27 or a Colt Officers ACP in lieu of the full size counterparts. The basis of my commentary falls to those that opt to carry .32's, .380's and the like in pocket carry vs. what I , stressing "I" deem to be fight caliber guns and platforms. Again, I did perhaps have you mixed up with another poster regarding carry choice, and for that I am man enough to apologize.

Despite that please note that I never took to name calling or insults to you, nor was I ever intentional condesending. I assure you that neither the interviews nor my own experience are BS. I also assure you that I am far from an idiot. You and I both are obviously passionate about this subject, though I will choose to refrain from insulting you or stooping to name calling. Nor will I engage in such on an open forum. Stay safe my friend.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-26-2011, 17:31
Cherry pick if you must, I suggest read all the comments...and responses.

I did, you still came across like a (insert infraction worthy comment here)when someone just disagreed with you.

cowboy1964
11-26-2011, 18:08
My upper weight limit for carry is about 34 oz. 40+ oz? Forget it.

xmanhockey7
11-26-2011, 18:15
I think you should carry the biggest most powerful gun you can comfortably carry on a daily basis. For some that's a S&W 500 for others it's a pocket .380. For me, I like having a Glock 22 on my hip (OC) and a Ruger LCP in my pocket (will be getting a Sig 238 soon). I'm considering getting a Glock 27 to carry in a shoulder holster. That way I have a Glock 22 on my hip (15+1) a Glock 27 under my left arm which can be drawn with my left hand (9+1) then two 15 round mags on the other side of the shoulder holster. All the 15 round mags can be used in the Glock 27.

iluv2viddyfilms
11-26-2011, 20:53

Well said sir.

mrsurfboard
11-26-2011, 22:52
Too heavy. I have a 29oz commander size 1911 and that's about as heavy or big as I would ever want to carry. I use a gun belt and good holster too.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-27-2011, 08:19
40+oz gun with a 7+1 capacity. No thank you. If I'm gonna carry a full size weapon it would be a Glock 17 or my new found favorite the M&P9 full size with a 17+1 capacity.

Deye76
11-27-2011, 10:00
Deye, you are correct, I either missed that your pistol is a G39 or I had you confused with another poster. The G39 is a good concealed carrying gun. My girlfriends agency issues G37's and she has a G39 that I bought her for back-up and off-duty carry. I like the gun myself, even to the point of preferring it to a G36 that I owned briefly. Even at that, my response to you was still accurate. The G39 is a convenient choice, and I get that. I too sometime compromise by carrying a G27 or a Colt Officers ACP in lieu of the full size counterparts. The basis of my commentary falls to those that opt to carry .32's, .380's and the like in pocket carry vs. what I , stressing "I" deem to be fight caliber guns and platforms. Again, I did perhaps have you mixed up with another poster regarding carry choice, and for that I am man enough to apologize.

Despite that please note that I never took to name calling or insults to you, nor was I ever intentional condesending. I assure you that neither the interviews nor my own experience are BS. I also assure you that I am far from an idiot. You and I both are obviously passionate about this subject, though I will choose to refrain from insulting you or stooping to name calling. Nor will I engage in such on an open forum. Stay safe my friend.
You are correct, name calling has no place. I don't consider you an idiot, that's why I typed "bordering on", because I interpreted the thread to be about carry, not a caliber discussion. Saying my decision for a carry weapon is based on "convienience" alludes to my being an idiot in that I would not consider the many other things, and would jeopradize my safety. Additionally I didn't know where "no sights" and a "sh%#ty trigger" came from, based on my earlier posts. I typed nothing of the sorts.
You be safe also. Best Regards

Maine1
11-27-2011, 11:14
I don't find my G-20 uncomfortable, or inconvenient. If it were....I'd still carry it anyway.

Some things are worth putting up with discomfort.

Its MORE uncomfortable to be caught flat footed in a situation that is boiling down to violence...realizing that the gun was left behind because it was not ;comfortable" or did not go with your "good" pants.

Carry the gun. Deal with it.

Bodyarmorguy
11-27-2011, 11:24
You are correct, name calling has no place. I don't consider you an idiot, that's why I typed "bordering on", because I interpreted the thread to be about carry, not a caliber discussion. Saying my decision for a carry weapon is based on "convienience" alludes to my being an idiot in that I would not consider the many other things, and would jeopradize my safety. Additionally I didn't know where "no sights" and a "sh%#ty trigger" came from, based on my earlier posts. I typed nothing of the sorts.
You be safe also. Best Regards

Again, not directed toward you you and alluding to anyone being an idiot. My commentary was both about caliber and carry and mindset. I have attended some really good shooting schools with guys who show up to train with 1911's, Glocks, M&P's, Sig's, XD's and the like, that when they step off the square range into the world, the drop a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec or similar (no sights, bad trigger) into a pocket, proclaiming "good enough" or "better than nothing."

You selection of a G39 is based partially on convenience, and that is okay, I get that. As I stated I sometimes opt for a baby Glock or Officers ACP as opposed to their big brothers out of convenience as well, sometimes out of just boredom and wanting to mix up our carry rotation. It wasn't intended as a slam at all. A mere observation that if we are unfortunate enough to find ourselves in a situation of using these tools. That will be the moment that we wish we had the longer sight radius, the high capacity. Again, from my own experience I recall wishing I had my rifle as opposed to my pistol that August 1989 evening.

I am glad that we cleared the air and can comment and debate as gentlemen. If I am ever out of line feel free to call me on it please. That's when these forums flourish, with a healthy exchange of knowledge and opinion.

SCmasterblaster
11-27-2011, 13:34
I carried a 44-ounce M1911A1 .45 for several months while my G17 ws being worked on. I never had to launch the 200gr bullets at 1000 FPS.

automan
11-28-2011, 08:05
For those of you who keep switching back and forth between carrying a 1911 and a non-1911, aren't you afraid if you have to draw to defend yourself with a 1911, you'll either miss the thumb safety or not press on the grip saftey firmly enough?

Bodyarmorguy
11-28-2011, 09:11
For those of you who keep switching back and forth between carrying a 1911 and a non-1911, aren't you afraid if you have to draw to defend yourself with a 1911, you'll either miss the thumb safety or not press on the grip saftey firmly enough?

The short answer....no. I really only ever carry the two platforms and have never found it to be an issue at training or at matches. I never missed the safety at a match no have I ever swiped for a non-existent thumb safety on my duty gun when drawn.

xmanhockey7
11-28-2011, 11:46
40+oz gun with a 7+1 capacity. No thank you. If I'm gonna carry a full size weapon it would be a Glock 17 or my new found favorite the M&P9 full size with a 17+1 capacity.

^Exactly!

Dalton Wayne
11-28-2011, 13:19
I now carry a full size 1911, it posses no problems for me to conceal, I've carried a full size gun most of the time, with the exception when I carry my S&W 442 which serves mostly as a bug.

GAFinch
11-28-2011, 13:37
I honestly don't even notice the extra weight of a 40 oz gun over a subcompact.

BuckyP
11-28-2011, 14:52
I quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, Glock 22, 23 and a spare mag without an over-sized shirt.

All at the same time? :wow:

Spiffums
11-28-2011, 16:19
Slightly wider, half the weight. Yes 6 rounds, one well placed shot with the frontal diameter of a .45 usually get's it done.

Is all ya really needed there.

Jason D
11-28-2011, 16:42
I have never had a problem carrying a full sized 1911.

Sheepdog Scout
11-28-2011, 17:13
I honestly don't even notice the extra weight of a 40 oz gun over a subcompact.
Ditto.

Bodyarmorguy
11-28-2011, 17:23
I quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, Glock 22, 23 and a spare mag without an over-sized shirt.

All at the same time? :wow:

Perhaps I should have said "I can quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, or a Glock 22 or 23 along with a spare mag without an oversized shirt."

DB1985
11-29-2011, 00:27
At the end of the day carry just whatever you feel like carrying. At least you're actually carrying something.

jhoagland
11-29-2011, 04:33
When you wear a tool belt with pliers, chisels, screwdrivers, chalk box, speed square, small crescent wrench, nail set and a 20 oz hammer, the 1911 seems light.

I use a belt made for carrying and it's double layer horse hide. I carry it in a Minotaur holster. I have no complaints.

Two Guns
11-29-2011, 11:10
I use to carry a 1911 for many years. Now that I am a lot older the weight of the 1911 bothers my back after just a couple of hours of carry.So now I carry a H&K USP Compact.I still shoot my 1911's better but not enough to change my mind on carrying them.

Cream Soda Kid
11-29-2011, 11:52
I donít find a 1911 hard to carry at all. It has a thin profile that makes it easy to hide, especially with an inside the waistband holster. In the summer I can wear one underneath a dark slightly loose untucked tee shirt. The only issue I have is that I have a chronic back injury, so sometimes the weight will prove to be a problem after a few hours of wearing it.

But truthfully, I find it more comfortable to carry a GLOCK 19, 32, 38, 26, 27. Or oftentimes a Taurus PT145 PRO.

fastbolt
11-29-2011, 14:20
Under most conditions, presuming a good quality belt & holster, carrying an all-steel, full-size handgun is certainly manageable ... depending on the physical conditioning and health of the user, as has been mentioned. Once a back (or other health) problem becomes a factor, then weight can become an issue. So can overall length, sometimes to the point that even half an inch of slide/barrel length (more or less) can make a difference to someone.

When I was a young cop I thought nothing of carrying a duty service revolver, or one of similar size & weight, on my off-duty time. I used both IWB & OWB, and sometimes a shoulder holster. Sometimes a large .44 Magnum revolver was my choice. My steel (Combat) Commander seemed downright comfortable by comparison.

Time passed and I eventually decided I didn't necessarily feel like "gearing up" each time I left the house for my normal activities, and sometimes my activities weren't as easily done while wearing a "full-size, fighting handgun", which was a popular phrase of the time. Smaller guns, mostly snub revolvers (since I demanded reliability), started to become pretty handy.

Then the time of general improvement (in reliability) and increasing interest in smaller pistols chambered in service calibers was upon us ...

I retired my revolvers and carried a number of different 9's & .45's, followed by .40's (when I accepted the caliber wasn't going to fade away :tongueout: ). Diminutive pistols chambered in good service calibers were being introduced faster than we could follow.

Toward the end of my career I was offered an opportunity to carry one of our limited number of specialized Colt 1911's (because of my involvement in helping to train some special enforcement folks). Nice gun. While I would have jumped at the opportunity as a younger man, I thanked them ... and I finished my career carrying a lightweight compact .45, because it was easier to carry for hours on end under my suit coat. ;)

Now, as much as I like many of the smallish pistols & revolvers, and a goodly number of the plastic offerings, when I take one of my 5" 1911's to a range session for quals, or simply some practice drills while working as an instructor, I quickly remember why it was my first choice as a center-fire semiauto so many years ago. The inherent balance, lively feel and ease of returning back on-target, the smooth cycling, the great trigger and the overall controllability and recoil management of the gun.

The lightweight alloy-framed 5" and 4 1/4" models are pretty close to the 5" all-steel models in all desirable aspects, too ... for me. It doesn't matter whether it's at 1 yard, or out to 50, 60 or 75 yards. The 1911 will perform to the best of my abilities.

My last couple of 1911's (A Colt XSE Government and a SW1911SC) have fed and fired every hollowpoint I've tried from among those which have seen common duty use, and some others which I've used as authorized ammunition in off-duty carry.

I'm presently still trying to decide which smaller .45 pistol I want to order, either a M&P 45c or one of the short bob-tailed Enhanced SW1911's. While I certainly don't need another gun, let alone another .45, I might eventually decide to get both. The M&P 45c because I like my full-size model so well, and the SW1911E ... because it's a 1911, of course. ;)

I might even carry the SW1911E more often because of its slightly shorter length and lighter weight ... and the fact that I have an excellent OWB Hume H726 that I can use (courtesy of my older steel Commander, languishing in my safe).

Carrying 40-50 odd ounces on my waist isn't nearly as comfortable, over the course of 12-18 hours, as it was when I was a young man.

twisty
11-29-2011, 15:02
I'm not that big, 5'8" about 190 lbs., not fat, and with a quality holster and belt that are made to actually carry a firearm, a fullsize 1911 or similar size/weight automatic is no problem for me to carry all day every day. If you have a quality holster/belt combo and still think the weight of one these guns is an issue then you really need to try going to the gym sometime because you are way to weak.

fastbolt
11-29-2011, 15:37
I'm not that big, 5'8" about 190 lbs., not fat, and with a quality holster and belt that are made to actually carry a firearm, a fullsize 1911 or similar size/weight automatic is no problem for me to carry all day every day. If you have a quality holster/belt combo and still think the weight of one these guns is an issue then you really need to try going to the gym sometime because you are way to weak.

Depends.

I'm 508/170, not fat, fitter than many men with whom I've worked or associated who are 15-20 years younger than me, and I have good belts a holsters. I exercise & train. This is my 40th year of involvement in pursuit of the martial arts. (Think lifestyle, physically, mentally and spiritually, if you like.)

None of this makes carrying a large 40+oz pistol seem lighter and easier over the course of 8-18 hours, especially when repeatedly getting in & out of veh's and other seated positions, and having to engage in various types of physical activities from sedate to strenuous.

I mostly gave up IWB carry some years ago, having experienced cumulative discomfort related to pressure points over the course of many years, and while an excellent quality & design OWB holster can mitigate such issues to some degree, it doesn't make the pressure against my side completely disappear under various circumstances.

Now, having watched what happens to many young men (and women) as they start to reach their middle 30's and start to let themselves slide into disuse of their physiques and some amount of neglect when it comes to maintaining muscle tone and the fitness they used to enjoy in their late teens and 20's, I can certainly see how many of them would benefit from some increased attention to fitness/exercise/nutrition programs. Wouldn't we all? Even more so for some folks entering their 40's and 50's who seem to act as though they should feel their best days of physical conditioning and fitness are behind them.

As a friend of mine, who works as a nutrition & training consultant to medical professionals, athletes and bodybuilders (Mr Olympia contests) is fond of saying, "50 is the new 30" ... (except it seems to hurt more at times :rofl: ). He's been instrumental in helping me understand nutrition (healthier, reasonable & effective supplementation, saving me upwards of a few hundred dollars a month I used to waste on ineffective products). He's also helped me to better understand more effective and safer exercise (weights) methods, especially those that can better benefit aging athletes.

Now, I've also had to deal with a number of work-related injuries (surgery, rehab, etc) like any number of other folks who get out of bed and go to work everyday, as well as some unexpected health issues that can strike anyone, at any age. Nobody gets out of life alive, right? We deal with it as best we're able.

However, a large steel gun weighing 40+ oz, carried for hours on end, can still become a pain in my side, though. :)

GunFighter45ACP
11-29-2011, 15:55
I can & have carried all steel, 5" 1911s OWB w/the right belt & holster combo as many others have mentioned.

For IWB, the best I can do is Commander length, & I prefer a lighter frame.

3" 1911s are pretty good either way for me, but I still prefer the lighter frame w/the smaller gun. It just balances a little better for me in my hands. YMMV

Golddog
11-29-2011, 17:04
I'm 5'11'' and 150 lbs. I run 60 miles a week and have done so for 40 years, and I walk my dogs two to three hours a day. So I'm fairly fit.

My CZ Rami, at about 31 oz. loaded with a ten-round magazine (about the weight of a loaded Glock 19 with 15 rounds), is pretty easy to carry. My full size, fully loaded CZ 75 SA weighs about 45 oz., pretty close to a 5" 1911 in weight. The all-steel CZ 75 can be a pretty big lump if I don't position it correctly - it has to fall into a sweet spot behind my hip, a spot that varies for different holsters. (I have an excellent heavy duty gun belt.)

Oddly, I find it easier to get comfortable with an IWB, either leather or a kydex hybrid, but I haven't carried the big CZ for more than a few hours either IWB or OWB.

The easiest carrying semi-auto I've tried was my Glock 26, thanks to its light weight. There are smaller guns, but most of them are more difficult to shoot well because of long, heavy triggers and stronger recoil.

For me, it's worthwhile to adjust my belt or holster position (assuming that I've found the right holster) to carry heavier guns with which I'm more proficient, rather than to settle for little guns which are virtually weightless but which I can't I can't shoot quickly and well. It's amazing what a difference in comfort a quarter of an inch in either direction on the belt can make.