Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 Express? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 Express?

ZTMIKE
11-25-2011, 19:02
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/95077

Or

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/52457_Mossberg_Rifles_Shotguns_MSBRG_SPC_590_12_20_CYL_8RD_PG_PRKZD.aspx

Leaning towards the Mossberg, and then add this to it: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/59937-1.html

Later on.

officerjohnson
11-25-2011, 19:54
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/95077

Or

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/52457_Mossberg_Rifles_Shotguns_MSBRG_SPC_590_12_20_CYL_8RD_PG_PRKZD.aspx

Leaning towards the Mossberg, and then add this to it: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/59937-1.html

Later on.

If you are planning on using a pistol grip, I would go with the 870 because the safety is in a better location. If you want a conventional stock get the Mossberg.

You cant go wrong with either shotgun, they are both great, the best idea is to get one of each.

ZTMIKE
11-25-2011, 20:33
If you are planning on using a pistol grip, I would go with the 870 because the safety is in a better location. If you want a conventional stock get the Mossberg.

You cant go wrong with either shotgun, they are both great, the best idea is to get one of each.

Okay I understand you saying going with the 870 for the safety location but why say go with the Mossberg for a butt stock?

I'm wanting a extending stock like in the cheaperthandirt link. I was looking at the Mossberg because it holds more shells and is cheaper for the amount of shells you can hold.

Plan to use it for HD and practice/skeet shooting.

My buddy has been trying to get me to go with the 870 express and when I asked him why he said professionals (target range pros) prefer it over Mossberg and said Mossberg is the Walmart of shotguns, I pretty much laughed at him and said Mossberg is on par with Remington 870 and they both are the 2 most famous shotguns in America.

Its funny because he had his 870 express under his mattress and a month or two later he got it out and there was brown **** all over it and I was like dude..that looks like straight up RUST. :faint:

Feanor
11-25-2011, 21:03
Okay I understand you saying going with the 870 for the safety location but why say go with the Mossberg for a butt stock?

Because the Mossy has a tang mounted safety which is ergonomically superior that of the 870. I'd go with the Mossberg 590 because of it's dual extractors and superior tube mag.

mixflip
11-26-2011, 01:11
590 simply for the silly impractical useless bayonet option!!!!! Its just cool and sometimes thats enough.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/Mossberg_590_by_FNPhil.jpg

sns3guppy
11-26-2011, 03:19
I ground most of the bayonet lug off my 590 in order to accommodate a surefire fore end, to give clearance to the light.

ZTMIKE
11-26-2011, 11:11
590 simply for the silly impractical useless bayonet option!!!!! Its just cool and sometimes thats enough.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/Mossberg_590_by_FNPhil.jpg

lol.

Uh no.

I do plan however to add a side saddle of some sort and maybe a tac light.

ZTMIKE
11-26-2011, 11:14
Because the Mossy has a tang mounted safety which is ergonomically superior that of the 870. I'd go with the Mossberg 590 because of it's dual extractors and superior tube mag.

Not calling you a liar, but do you have proof?

I am leaning towards the 590.. was before I made the thread, just wanted some opinions on the two.

WoodenPlank
11-26-2011, 12:36
Not calling you a liar, but do you have proof?

I am leaning towards the 590.. was before I made the thread, just wanted some opinions on the two.

I believe some of the 870s have crimped magazine tubes, making it more difficult to use a magazine extension for higher capacity.

I own a 590, and love it. Reliable, accurate, plenty of magazine capacity, and the SpeedFeed storage stock gives me 4 extra rounds on board.

As someone else said, if I was going to use a pistol-grip stock (either pistol grip only or pistol grip + stick), the cross-bolt safety on the 870 is MUCH easier to use. With a straight stock, though, I really prefer the tang mounted Mossberg safety.

OP, you mentioned shooting skeet. For anything but close range, the typical IC choke of a defensive shotgun is probably not going to cut it. The extended magazine tube typical of most Mossberg 590s will also make it slower on target for clays. You may want to consider one gun for HD use, and a second shotgun dedicated just to sporting clays, etc.

aippi
11-26-2011, 13:47
There is nothing difficult about installing an extension on a Remington shotgun. Also, many models come with a tube extension and do not require any modification. The only ones who have to modify the mag tube to install an extension are those who want to add an extension to the 4+1 model. With the 870 you can also covert back to the 4+1 configuration for sporting use, not so on the Mossberg model you are listing.

With the multiple uses you are stating you want a shotgun for the 870 is more versitile, not just for the fact stated above off being able to convert back to sporting use but for the fact that there are 110 barrels offered for the 12ga 870 as opposed to only 11 for the Mossberg. An 870 can be turned into an any use shotgun simply by changing the barrel.

The fact your friend failed to maintain his weapon is an issue with him, not the weapon. Tens of thousands of 870 Express owners have no issues with the finish on their weapons because they maintain them properly.

ArmoryDoc
11-26-2011, 14:30
This gun goes hunting for fairly cheap. Check for safe. Remove barrel clamp, open chamber partially, unscrew extension, pull barrel and replace with longer VR choked barrel, replace mag spring spring with shorter one, install mag cap on mag tube. Parts required are new barrel, mag cap and mag spring. Numerous guns in one.

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6NTJmZjY1OWVhMGQ5MDAxN2IzYzViMjU5YTBmMzNhODg=?uid=c5c3e072-833f-4de0-a1f2-677924f433e3

Dutch1911
11-26-2011, 22:17
Ok let's put an end to who's Johnson is bigger. I'm a bit bias, I'm LE and an Remington Armorer... HOWEVER!!! Which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. For me its simple... Remington Police Magnum... For simple reasons... I train with it, I'm an armorer and I like it. If you feel the same about your boomstick... Then there you go. Training training training... I don't care what you run... I've seen guys that can roll heads with black powder. Fact of the matter is, I don't care how big or bad ass you think your ninja setup is... There's someone else out there that can maKe you look and feel like a school girl on your best day.

Dutch1911

ZTMIKE
11-27-2011, 12:25
As someone else said, if I was going to use a pistol-grip stock (either pistol grip only or pistol grip + stick), the cross-bolt safety on the 870 is MUCH easier to use. With a straight stock, though, I really prefer the tang mounted Mossberg safety.

Okay I'm going to come out with it..but how is a safety on the 870 better than the 590 when on the 590 its right on top? The 870 looks like its down by/in the trigger area?

I do want a pistol grip..but also will be adding a extending stock like I said in my OP for the 590 on the cheaperthandirt link I gave.

I'm having trouble seeing how using the 590 safety would be troublesome with that setup since its right on top?

ZTMIKE
11-27-2011, 12:26
Ok let's put an end to who's Johnson is bigger. I'm a bit bias, I'm LE and an Remington Armorer... HOWEVER!!! Which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. For me its simple... Remington Police Magnum...

Dutch1911

I'm not going to spend that much on a shotgun. And I'm wanting to buy new, so it comes down to the 2 in my OP.

ZTMIKE
11-27-2011, 12:39
The fact your friend failed to maintain his weapon is an issue with him, not the weapon. Tens of thousands of 870 Express owners have no issues with the finish on their weapons because they maintain them properly.

I don't see how storing a weapon is a failure to maintain it? He doesn't own a safe (yet) so he put it under his bed mattress, and since we don't go shooting that often (both live in town) his Remington stayed under there for a couple months. Then he got it out to check it and the finish was rusting..as I took a rag to it and with some hard rubbing the brown stuff was coming off..and the only thing we could think was happening was that it was rusting away in less than 4 months on his Remington 870 express.

Unless having to get your shotgun out and keep wiping it down is part of maintaining it..but that's suppose to be the beauty of a shotgun its there when you need it without maintenance besides after you go shooting it. Granted you will need to keep the inside clean if it sits to long however.

WoodenPlank
11-27-2011, 12:53
Okay I'm going to come out with it..but how is a safety on the 870 better than the 590 when on the 590 its right on top? The 870 looks like its down by/in the trigger area?

I do want a pistol grip..but also will be adding a extending stock like I said in my OP for the 590 on the cheaperthandirt link I gave.

I'm having trouble seeing how using the 590 safety would be troublesome with that setup since its right on top?

With a pistol grip(either pistol grip only, or pistol grip stock like the one you linked in your first post), your thumb will be wrapped around the grip. This means you have to almost completely remove your hand from the pistol grip to manipulate the tang safety on the Mossberg. On an 870, you can manipulate the safety with thumb and index finger of the firing hand without breaking your grip on the pistol grip. With a straight stock, your thumb easily lands on the tang safety of the Mossberg. On the 870, your index finger will reach the safety, but you have to wrap your hand farther around to reach the opposite of the safety (to engage it, if right handed).

cyphertext
11-27-2011, 13:38
I don't see how storing a weapon is a failure to maintain it?

A little wipe down with oil may have prevented that. Also, the bed mattress may hold moisture onto the gun. Improper storage = failure to maintain properly.

ArmoryDoc
11-27-2011, 18:11
Unless having to get your shotgun out and keep wiping it down is part of maintaining it..but that's suppose to be the beauty of a shotgun its there when you need it without maintenance besides after you go shooting it. Granted you will need to keep the inside clean if it sits to long however.

In the "days of old" (before plastic and painted guns) this was part of maintenance. A generation has been lost when it comes to finish maintenance. Bluing and parkerizing require maintenance.

Dutch1911
11-27-2011, 23:12
I don't see how storing a weapon is a failure to maintain it? He doesn't own a safe (yet) so he put it under his bed mattress, and since we don't go shooting that often (both live in town) his Remington stayed under there for a couple months. Then he got it out to check it and the finish was rusting..as I took a rag to it and with some hard rubbing the brown stuff was coming off..and the only thing we could think was happening was that it was rusting away in less than 4 months on his Remington 870 express.

Storing any weapon in a high moisture area such as under s bed mattress... Is in fact failure to maintain. The fact that you want to drag the good Remington name through the mud based on that alone stands reason your own lack of understanding of care and maintenance of a firearm.
Secondly a disparaging comment in a negative light based on said safety location is in fact a moot point. It simply comes back to training. However you feel necessary to rationalize which is better again is pointless.
Both weapons in the right hands of someone that understands training and takes part on a regular basis will defeat any safety on any weapon in any situation if he does so in high stress training environments on a regular basis.
I run a REM... Ive ran mossbergs for years.
To me it matters not which I have in my hand performance states they are identical, I've proven it to myself time and time again.
I prefer a REM for several reasons ... Now... If you prefer a mossy... Ao be it. Learn its barrel its accessories, its trigger and its sights. Do so without hesitation. Be able to disassemble and reassemble and engage in the dark because you have trained with it.
Get your coupons and your checkbook go buy what you can afford and love what you have, shoot the hell out of it and learn your weapon.
You've been given very good advice... Stop dismissing it in hopes that someone will convince you of a purchase.
One more thing...
Happy Holidays.!

Dutch1911
1/*

ZTMIKE
11-30-2011, 22:32
Storing any weapon in a high moisture area such as under s bed mattress... Is in fact failure to maintain. The fact that you want to drag the good Remington name through the mud based on that alone stands reason your own lack of understanding of care and maintenance of a firearm.

Someone needs to change their tampon. I was simply stating what happened to my friends Remington, no need to go all haywire and start talking ****.

O and happy holidays! :thumbsup:

If anyone is curious I will be picking up the 590.

cyphertext
11-30-2011, 23:10
Someone needs to change their tampon. I was simply stating what happened to my friends Remington, no need to go all haywire and start talking ****.

You asked how storing was a failure to maintain, so Dutch and a few others told you. Don't get all butt hurt just because someone called you out for blaming Remington for the rust, when it was actually your friend and their lack of knowledge or care about their weapon.

Good luck with your 590. It is a good shotgun as well.

Mr.Reignman
12-01-2011, 11:33

Dig everything except the "one of each".... imho no need brotha, just can cause confusion in remembering the safety of each weapon... no need for that, keep it simple but you're dead on about location of them...

RLee3
12-01-2011, 11:39
I have both a 870 Tactical and a 590A1... This is a Ford or Chevy question!!!
I personally perfer the 590A1. It is well built reliable out of the box combat shotgun.
I have had some issues with the 870 Express. Mine may just be a freak?
I use the 870 to demo a Door Breaching tip to law enforcement as it it what most departments use for a shotgun.
Both are good guns just buy what YOU like best.

Dutch1911
12-01-2011, 15:31

Lol very grown-up... Thank you for showing your age.
Good luck with your endeavor, I hope you find it in yourself in the future to learn proper weapon maintenance. And above all... Self ownership of your own actions.

Dutch1911
1/*
Black Talon Defensive Dynamics LLC.

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 15:36
My 870 is good and reliable, but I would prefer a tang mounted safety over the little stock button placed behind the trigger.

The best placement for a safety is in FRONT of the trigger guard a la the 1300, but I like the tang mounted safety 2nd.