i know why so many cops are alcoholics..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : i know why so many cops are alcoholics.....

cowboywannabe
11-25-2011, 23:25
actually i dont know hy, but im drunk.

tieing one on once in a while is good for the soul.

Big House
11-25-2011, 23:50
Leave the computer now, before you...

GLK38
11-26-2011, 00:47
good thing your behind the computer and not a wheel

CAcop
11-26-2011, 01:06
He's probably "asleep" by now.....

Tiro Fijo
11-26-2011, 03:03
i know why so many cops are alcoholics.....

because they're married.

teleblaster
11-26-2011, 06:49
Never post after 9:00 p.m.

MeefZah
11-26-2011, 07:47
good thing your behind the computer and not a wheel

The IP address shows it's from his MDT.

:rofl: I kid, I kid.

seanmac45
11-26-2011, 09:00
Because of the tortured, raped and abused children.

From scraping up one too many jumpers.

Because of all the death notifications you have to make to unsuspecting relatives.

Because of all of the low life scum returned to the streets by the criminal justice system to commit more atrocities.

Because of all of the lives you've seen snuffed out far too early due to alcohol or drugs.

Because your home life suffers from the low pay, long hours, missed holidays and family events.

Because your children grow up without you there often enough.

Because of the friends who die in the line of duty for an uncaring and unappreciative public.

That's why....................

dooga
11-26-2011, 09:39
Because of the tortured, raped and abused children .....

Do you mind if I turn this into a prayer? Beautifully said. Thank you.

3Speedyfish3
11-26-2011, 09:42
Too many child autopsies.

Close calls that make you lay awake.

Loss of friends and relatives that don't understand.

Divorces and your kids who hate you.

The need to put on the armor and fight one more battle.

The Chain of Command.

The Sight of a Fallen Officer in the Field.

Adrenaline withdrawal.

I've had them all.

Morris
11-26-2011, 11:45
Have fun.

I don't drink - anymore. With a history of addiction and a real enjoyment of the drink when I was much younger, I realized I couldn't touch the stuff anymore. I'd never have survived as a sober cop if I had not stopped.

My "drinking" is working in the yard, walking the dog, digging weeds, working out, playing with my kids, hitting the range and shooting imaginary rapists and murderers . . . .

And occasionally talking to someone about the stuff Sean and Speedy wrote about.

seanmac45
11-26-2011, 11:47
I stopped back in '91. But I understand why some don't.

cowboywannabe
11-26-2011, 14:56
all of the above....

im not much of a drinker, a light weight by most terms.....

just once in a while its good to get crap faced and fall asleep in the recliner.....doesnt make things better, but its a temporary escape for the mind...

wake up hung over and you can put things back into perspective....

Trigger Finger
11-26-2011, 15:15
Morris, I can relate!

"I don't drink - anymore. With a history of addiction and a real enjoyment of the drink when I was much younger, I realized I couldn't touch the stuff anymore. I'd never have survived as a sober cop if I had not stopped."

The last 6 years were very stressful. Shootings, altercations, long hours and constantly being on call and investigating baseless complaints.

Except I waited too long, now I have some liver damage.

Vigilant
11-26-2011, 18:05
We have some similar types of stress inside the fence, and some that are different. I've never had a DWI, or been disgnosed as an alcoholic, but I decided to hang the drinking up back in 2002, except for the occasional sip of peach brandy for a bad sore throat. I'm aware of some of my coworkers who rely on alcohol to "get away from it", or "unwind", but for some it appears to be a slippery slope.

I believe we will all learn one day that our senses can be, and often are, our worst enemy.

RetailNinja
11-26-2011, 20:32
Cops drink because weed is illegal.

Still haven't been to a street brawl where everyone was baked.

Still haven't been to a domestic where the suspect blazed up all afternoon and beat someone down when they came home at night.

JC2317
11-26-2011, 21:09
Because of the tortured, raped and abused children.

From scraping up one too many jumpers.

Because of all the death notifications you have to make to unsuspecting relatives.

Because of all of the low life scum returned to the streets by the criminal justice system to commit more atrocities.

Because of all of the lives you've seen snuffed out far too early due to alcohol or drugs.

Because your home life suffers from the low pay, long hours, missed holidays and family events.

Because your children grow up without you there often enough.

Because of the friends who die in the line of duty for an uncaring and unappreciative public.

That's why....................

Nicely said.
I will add the nightmares that come from all of the above...........

cowboywannabe
11-26-2011, 21:16
no nightmares, just had to tie one on........get it out of my system.

Gos
11-26-2011, 22:22
I do not drink.
I'm the first non alcoholic male in my family in at least four generations. I know what's waiting for me if I do. I've also seen so many good LEO's go from enjoying that after shift drink to Needing that after shift drink.

janice6
11-26-2011, 22:26
no nightmares, just had to tie one on........get it out of my system.

I know you wont understand why I understand. Gotta let it go.

Agent6-3/8
11-27-2011, 00:29
Based on what I've seen in my short tenure. They put the job/department first, loved something that couldn't love them back and because they couldn't keep their pants zipped. In the end they managed to chase off just about anything that they ever loved or loved them. All they've got left is the job, child support, alimony and a department that would throw you under the bus as soon as you become a liability.

Sharky7
11-27-2011, 00:42
Based on what I've seen in my short tenure. They put the job/department first, loved something that couldn't love them back and because they couldn't keep their pants zipped. In the end they managed to chase off just about anything that they ever loved or loved them. All they've got left is the job, child support, alimony and a department that would throw you under the bus as soon as you become a liability.

It's good to see it now...too many people don't see it until it's too late. We work to live, not live to work. That being said - this is still the best job in the world.

shootindave
11-27-2011, 03:54
Yeah. Shootings, rapes, car wrecks,hungry kids, etc etc...... it will push the maybe drunk into the for sure one.

My PD is seeing more than one officer shooting A WEEK. Thank God for an inner city job and a cold beer from time to time.

shootindave
11-27-2011, 04:05
deleted.

Hack
11-27-2011, 05:46
I work inside the fence, and literally inside the walls. I have worked this kind of law enforcement since 1991.

Since then I have seen:

Marriages go downhill and divorce.

Kids of fellow workers get in trouble as they were growing up.

Spouses not understand what their partner is going through.

Some people becoming increasingly reliant on their vices.

And foregoing:

A good marriage and instead of having a forbidden lover.

Good support from others who care about them to going for their vices.

Having good relationships with their own children to having their own children resent them.

Getting in financial difficulties.

Becoming thoroughly burned out concerning the job.

What helps:

Having a supportive wife.

Having children/or a child who loves you.

Having a relationship with God.

Having an outlet to get rid of bottled up feelings that won't kill you or someone else.

Having a relationship with people outside of the job.

All in all I can say I have made it through some tough times, even when my wife doesn't understand she is supportive. She has been through some rough things, so even though they may not be the same rough things now she is there for me.

I do have a loving child who is nearly an adult. I would not wish this line of work I do onto her. She is an intelligent and bright individual who can do better if she wants to.

Also, I am a military veteran. I have a support group of sorts with people who have also been in the military, in all branches. Some of us have been in the suck in the military, whilst others have been in it in law enforcement. Some of us even have struggles with PTSD and other issues which I won't go into here. But, because of where we have been, and because of where we are, and are going we understand each other.

I also am involved in church activities which helps out a bit as well. It helps to know that there is a way to help people within the community through your church, and brethren in the faith.

I do have the occasional bit of alcohol for health reasons. I might have a serving or two at the end of the day. It's actually for my blood vessels, and my heart. But, I don't overdo it.

rookie1
11-27-2011, 13:03
I also drink on special occasions. I can count on two hands how many times I have been "Drunk" in my life. It used to be one hand until spending 4 days in Key West for my brothers bachelor party. I don't like beer so finding something that tastes alright is not easy.

We have two officers that are the newest divorcées and they drink more than they ever did. Kind of scary to watch these guys and wonder whats going to happen with the stress of the job, the devoice and alcohol combined. I guess if you don't really start, you don't have to try and quit.

Patchman
11-27-2011, 17:27
There are so many unhealthy and just-plain-bad vices available in this society.

LE is a profession that has so, so many stresses. And it's easy to point to any number of the stresses and say "well, that why I..." But ultimately, in the end, nobody is forcing us to partake in any of the vices.

I know I'm guilty of this.

fla2760
11-29-2011, 17:02
My drinking is very tame now that I am retired. I did a lot of 4 to 4's in NYC my first few years on the job though. :whistling:

BULLRUNN
11-29-2011, 19:01
I dont have a drinking problem... I drink JUST FINE....:embarassed::wavey::wavey::rofl:

msu_grad_121
11-29-2011, 19:17
I dont have a drinking problem... I drink JUST FINE....:embarassed::wavey::wavey::rofl:

2 hands, 1 mouth, now THAT'S a drinking problem! :wavey:

Mine has really fallen off too, since my body doesn't recover like it did when I was a kid. But a cold beer on a hot day can be mighty fine indeed.