Higher Spring Rates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Higher Spring Rates

leeward419
11-26-2011, 05:57
Hi,
How do you tell when you need to increase the spring weight in a G20?

Does too light a spring weight decrease accuracy from barrel unlocking too soon causing erratic pressures and corresponding accuracy issues

Just wondering, Shooting 180 gr xtp max book loads and brass is flinging about 15-20 ft; I managed to shoot a 5 shot group at 25 yds that is about the size of a half dollar from a sandbag, the rest scatter all over the target, I have taken care to make certain I have a good grip and have utilized good trigger control. I shoot a lot of heavy caliber magnum revolvers and I am nowhere near feeling like this is heavy recoil, actually surprised at how light the recoil feels
The G20 is brand new, I do beleive, Glocks get better with use, as it smooths out the triggers (this has been the case on all my other glocks, they get better with use)

I may have been having a bad day...got new glasses, etc ....
Hope to get a chrono soon, this would help diagnose erratic velocities...curious what the experienced 10mm guys think.....

ps surprised how mild the 10 is, even with full book loads, I will be trying some buffalo bore soon.......I am also sensing the G20 is capable of some great accuracy

nickE10mm
11-26-2011, 09:01
Hi,
How do you tell when you need to increase the spring weight in a G20?

Does too light a spring weight decrease accuracy from barrel unlocking too soon causing erratic pressures and corresponding accuracy issues

Just wondering, Shooting 180 gr xtp max book loads and brass is flinging about 15-20 ft; I managed to shoot a 5 shot group at 25 yds that is about the size of a half dollar from a sandbag, the rest scatter all over the target, I have taken care to make certain I have a good grip and have utilized good trigger control. I shoot a lot of heavy caliber magnum revolvers and I am nowhere near feeling like this is heavy recoil, actually surprised at how light the recoil feels
The G20 is brand new, I do beleive, Glocks get better with use, as it smooths out the triggers (this has been the case on all my other glocks, they get better with use)

I may have been having a bad day...got new glasses, etc ....
Hope to get a chrono soon, this would help diagnose erratic velocities...curious what the experienced 10mm guys think.....

ps surprised how mild the 10 is, even with full book loads, I will be trying some buffalo bore soon.......I am also sensing the G20 is capable of some great accuracy

The stock trigger is TERRIBLE for long range accuracy, at least in my response. Your issues are probably due to the trigger and overall skill with the pistol (practice makes perfect!). Lots of people hate the sights, too... but I can shoot as accurately with my stock sights as I can with AM sights... but its just not as fun. :)

Keep on shooting the thing ... you will get used to it!

As for the unlocking, I think the jury is still out on the early-unlocking thing. I will be ordering a Wolff combo and will be doing side by side accuracy tests vs the stock setup and will let you know what I find out. I've wanted to see it first hand for a while now.

_The_Shadow
11-26-2011, 10:37
Lately I have read of issues with the G-20's experiencing issues with the heavier Wt aftermarket springs, even Wolff Gun Springs brands. I read where the springs were thought to be bunching up, adding drag to the slide and FTF were occuring! It seems that the Flat Springs were yielding better results on the stainless steel captive recoil rods.

Be sure to look at and read up on what seems to work best for the G-20.

Wolff Gun Springs non captive recoil rod and 21# springs have worked very well for my G-29. :)

arushus
11-26-2011, 12:48
I have a ISMI 22lb recoil spring in my g20sf, and I really like it, runs very smoothly. Brass is still flying far enough tho that I may get a 24lb spring.

As far as knowing when to move up to a heavier rated spring, most people go by the rule that if the brass is flying 15' or farther, you could use a heavier rated spring, if it is just dribbling out off your knuckles, then the spring is too heavy.

leeward419
11-26-2011, 13:48
Ok Range report update,
I shoot better than the G20 was performing, I was suspect, Ok, went and cleaned the snot out of the pistol, got rid of the copper colored lube, cleaned to the max, and re lubed.
the slide worked much easier after that. At this point I had about 100 rounds through it and the lube seemed to absorb the carbon; it seemed to be accounting for some fricton with the slide.
Next really really paid attention to the grip, sight picture etc.
All shots were within an astounding 1 ragged group at 25 yards, like 2-3 inches.
I have really big hands and I donthave to pay much attention to grip on a standard size glock like the 34/35 32 etc. This fills my hand and fits great. But I do needto be cognizant of high hand grip, and if you get sloppy, will move around under recoil and reset your grip. I held it tightly and recked after ea shot. Today this was all off hand no sandbag. This thing is damn accurate. Cleaning the pistol seemed to help a whole lot.
I love my G20!
Lately I have read of issues with the G-20's experiencing issues with the heavier Wt aftermarket springs, even Wolff Gun Springs brands. I read where the springs were thought to be bunching up, adding drag to the slide and FTF were occuring! It seems that the Flat Springs were yielding better results on the stainless steel captive recoil rods.

I hve a flat spring assembly, just like what is in my g34. I am planning on replacing this, just want to test what different spring weights will do.
Thank You for the info

nickE10mm
11-26-2011, 13:53
Nice, good job Leeward419.... I do my best shooting a couple days after a recent range trip.... Muscle memory comes back from the shooting trip 48 hours ago and bam, I'm back in the game!

leeward419
11-26-2011, 14:03
Nice, good job Leeward419.... I do my best shooting a couple days after a recent range trip.... Muscle memory comes back from the shooting trip 48 hours ago and bam, I'm back in the game!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

I must admit, I do think i was getting sloppy with my grip, but cleaning it seemed to help. I know once I get a thousand rounds through it, it will be smooth as glass. When I dont perform well, I take my ruger mark 3 out and put 500-600 round target rounds thru it to iron out an bad habits I am developing. this always seems to help. also did that today.
I was very impressed with the accuracy potential of the 10mm. I am taking it out deer hunting tommorrow, hopefully will see on within 25 yards, otherwise its the12 ga untl I get a scope or red dot. This should be good for metalic silhouette too! I do beleive with more practice and break in this could be extended to 35-50 yards in the future, espescially with red dot or scope

21Carrier
11-26-2011, 22:28
It seems it was just a bad day for you! The springs should have little effect on accuracy. First of all, the bullet is LONG gone before the gun ever unlocks. So, that's that. However, a weak spring and a dirty gun could conspire to make lockup sloppy, decreasing accuracy. This is sort of how you usually hear that most guns send a flyer on their first shot (loaded by hand from magazine, as opposed to auto-cycling). The lower slide speed from a hand cycle sometimes does not produce a perfect lock-up. That can send the first round SLIGHTLY off, while subsequent shots are more consistent. I have never experienced this (because I always shoot off-hand), but I've read many reputable people documenting it.

leeward419
11-27-2011, 07:14
I have noticed too that the 180 gr xtps were the bullets that would group, the 165 FMJs not so much, both were max loads

10 fan
11-27-2011, 22:58
I called glock a year ago about my brass flying about 15ft. G20 and G29,they said 5 to 6ft. means you have the right spring weight. Told me to call wolf springs for a heavy spring kit or I would be buying a new slide from beating it up from shooting hot loads.The kit came with 3 fireing pin springs also which they said needed to be changed every 3000 rounds.Hope this helps.

leeward419
11-28-2011, 06:22
I called glock a year ago about my brass flying about 15ft. G20 and G29,they said 5 to 6ft. means you have the right spring weight. Told me to call wolf springs for a heavy spring kit or I would be buying a new slide from beating it up from shooting hot loads.The kit came with 3 fireing pin springs also which they said needed to be changed every 3000 rounds.Hope this helps.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

It does, I also think part of the issue was the new finish on the slide, it seems rougher than the old finish. Before firing a the first 50-60 rounds, the slide wouldn't move into battery while dry firing on its own, without a slight nudge, it seems to have smoothed out since firing and no longer does that; it may have been the factory lube, it was packed on pretty thick. Other than that, typical glock all the way. I have ordered a spring recoil calibration pack and guide rod from Wolff. It functions fine now.
Thank You!

10 fan
11-29-2011, 00:42
It does, I also think part of the issue was the new finish on the slide, it seems rougher than the old finish. Before firing a the first 50-60 rounds, the slide wouldn't move into battery while dry firing on its own, without a slight nudge, it seems to have smoothed out since firing and no longer does that; it may have been the factory lube, it was packed on pretty thick. Other than that, typical glock all the way. I have ordered a spring recoil calibration pack and guide rod from Wolff. It functions fine now.
Thank You!
Where did ou take your Glock armorers course I'm in the LA area? I can take it for free at Front SIght ,but the price of gas ight be more than the free class.

Allsmk_nomirror
11-29-2011, 00:51
I just recently got a 22lb. recoil spring assembly on a S.S. Guide rod, I took it out to the range last week and fired some factory loads through my G20 and everything functions just fine. The only reason I moved up to the heavier spring was to reduce spread with hotter load, but other than that you can use the G20 completely stock with no mods at all. I've even seen them function well with hot loads, and some ammo manufacture even prefer testing the ammo out with stock G20's.