Dillon 650xl [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650xl

rpgman
11-26-2011, 12:51
Ok got really tired of loading 9mm n. 40 on the Lyman Turret Press II.
So, I Just ordered the Dillon 650xl with the conversion kit n quick change kit.

So. I'm BLUE now
Greg

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 12:52
Congrats -- You're gonna love it.

rpgman
11-26-2011, 13:01
Congrats -- You're gonna love it.

Man I hope so

I was loading 100 rounds every couple hours n I'm soooooo tired of it.

GioaJack
11-26-2011, 13:02
Ok got really tired of loading 9mm n. 40 on the Lyman Turret Press II.
So, I Just ordered the Dillon 650xl with the conversion kit n quick change kit.

So. I'm BLUE now
Greg

Sounds like you need a date. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 13:09
Sweet. Did you get any of the options?

rpgman
11-26-2011, 13:12
Sounds like you need a date. :whistling:

Jack

Yea Jack her name is Dillon. Lol.

rpgman
11-26-2011, 13:14
Sweet. Did you get any of the options?

OK what options did I miss?
NOW u have me worried.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 13:29
Just wondering if you got the roller handle, strong mount, powder check die, etc. All I got with mine was the roller handle. I didn't need/want any of the other stuff. You don't need the roller handle but it is very nice.

rpgman
11-26-2011, 13:30
The options I got where the quick change kit the quick change conversion kit the low power sensor the bullet tray the aluminum handle the strong mount the casefeeder and the spare parts.
Also the toolholder set.

GioaJack
11-26-2011, 13:41
Did Dillon upgrade their machines to electronic operation? What's a low power sensor?

Don't even think about editing your post... I have a screen snapshot.

Jack

WiskyT
11-26-2011, 14:06
Did Dillon upgrade their machines to electronic operation? What's a low power sensor?

Don't even think about editing your post... I have a screen snapshot.

Jack

I did almost kill myself when I carried away my father's 650, it was plugged in. I don't know why. I did plug it in when I put it on it's new bench.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 14:10
I did almost kill myself when I carried away my father's 650, it was plugged in. I don't know why. I did plug it in when I put it on it's new bench.

Man, what is it w/ you old guys nearly killing yourself when you get a new press? :)

rpgman
11-26-2011, 14:21
That's what it states Low Powder Sensor and low powder check
Sorry

GioaJack
11-26-2011, 14:25
Power or powder?

Jack

TX Archer
11-26-2011, 14:25

Man, what is it w/ you old guys nearly killing yourself when you get a new press? :)

Electricity is a relatively new concept for them. It hadn't been harnessed yet when they were young.

rpgman
11-26-2011, 14:29
Power or powder?

Jack

I know my bad
Sorry
Greg

GioaJack
11-26-2011, 14:33
From now on everyone post pictures for rpgman to look at... no actual words, he'll get confused. :supergrin:

Jack

rpgman
11-26-2011, 14:37
From now on everyone post pictures for rpgman to look at... no actual words, he'll get confused. :supergrin:

Jack

Ok Jack play nice now.
lol. I'll need ur help to get it going.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 14:41
Ok Jack play nice now.

LOL.. Boy are you in for a treat.... He's gonna tell you to ship it back to Dillon and order an LNL, ;)

It's really not hard.

I'm sending you a PM, standby

WiskyT
11-26-2011, 14:41
Ok Jack play nice now.

Better off with Jack's advice than Steve's.

GioaJack
11-26-2011, 14:51
Unlike some of the more rabid members on the forum, I don't care what people load on. As long as it meets their needs and they're happy with it that's all that counts.

My benevolence does not extend, however, to the FCD. Buy a small balsa wood boat and use it as an anchor.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 14:57
Unlike some of the more rabid members on the forum, I don't care what people load on. As long as it meets their needs and they're happy with it that's all that counts.

My benevolence does not extend, however, to the FCD. Buy a small balsa wood boat and use it as an anchor.

Jack

Anyone who watched your video on the "minimum equipment needed to reload"... knows this post is almost completely false.... almost, because I imagine you would use the FCD as a boat anchor... :)

rpgman
11-26-2011, 15:15
Lol. Sorry for UPSETTING the board.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 15:22
LOL, Upsetting?

If you want to see "upset" use Tightgroup as your first powder.. :)

rpgman
11-26-2011, 15:26
LOL, Upsetting?

I know.
I guess I got kinda carried away.

kyglockshooter
11-26-2011, 15:42
RPG - a 650xl is on my agenda will you share how setup and lessons learned treat you please.

David B

F106 Fan
11-26-2011, 15:45
LOL, Upsetting?

You get more bang for the buck with Tite Group than with Unique. :rofl:

Richard

Boxerglocker
11-26-2011, 15:47
The options I got where the quick change kit the quick change conversion kit the low power sensor the bullet tray the aluminum handle the strong mount the casefeeder and the spare parts.
Also the toolholder set.

Congrats on your purchase, can't go wrong with your chosen press and options to churn out quality ammo real fast. :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2011, 17:19
Ok Jack play nice now.

Jack's setup help for a Dillon is

DIAL 911. My Dillon is trying to kill me.

unclebob
11-26-2011, 18:22
Read the manual first and follow the directions when setting up the press. Then read the manual again.

ursoboostd
11-26-2011, 18:26
Your gonna love your 650! Congrats on the big purchase. -Wade-

rpgman
11-27-2011, 05:30
RPG - a 650xl is on my agenda will you share how setup and lessons learned treat you please.

David B

Sure will
Greg

ron59
11-27-2011, 09:41
I had been tempted to go with a 1050 as an upgrade from my 550B, but now think I'm just going to go with a 650. I'll be ordering mine from Brian's site probably in just a few weeks. It's BONUS time !!!

Colorado4Wheel
11-27-2011, 11:16
I had been tempted to go with a 1050 as an upgrade from my 550B, but now think I'm just going to go with a 650. I'll be ordering mine from Brian's site probably in just a few weeks. It's BONUS time !!!

You sound like you went through a similar process as me. In the end I just didn't think the 1050 was worth the initial cost and the cost of conversions. It's a very nice press but it's also more finicky. The strange thing to me is that I have a bunch of people local to me who own 1050's. Most owned 650's. Most now just don't like the 650. Some complain about them when I hear others ask about the 650 vs 1050 thing. I just don't get it. My 650 works perfectly. As good as the 1050 if not better from a ease of use point of view. 1050's can be finicky until you really learn them. They are awful nice. Don't get me wrong. But I don't see why once you own a 1050 you have to not like the 650 any longer. 650 is a great press. It will crank out some great ammo really fast with very little fuss. It also primes easier then my old 550. Didn't expect that at all.

ron59
11-27-2011, 14:03
You sound like you went through a similar process as me. In the end I just didn't think the 1050 was worth the initial cost and the cost of conversions. It's a very nice press but it's also more finicky. The strange thing to me is that I have a bunch of people local to me who own 1050's. Most owned 650's. Most now just don't like the 650. Some complain about them when I hear others ask about the 650 vs 1050 thing. I just don't get it. My 650 works perfectly. As good as the 1050 if not better from a ease of use point of view. 1050's can be finicky until you really learn them. They are awful nice. Don't get me wrong. But I don't see why once you own a 1050 you have to not like the 650 any longer. 650 is a great press. It will crank out some great ammo really fast with very little fuss. It also primes easier then my old 550. Didn't expect that at all.

The extra money for one thing....but there was also a thread (thought I bookmarked it, don't see it now) where I believe it was Hozer (who has both the 1050 & 650s) say that for something like 9mm, he thought 650 was a better choice. He has a 1050 for decrimping the military crimp from military brass for .223, but other than that thought the 650 was a better press. Particularly from a priming standpoint.

I may have a 1050 one day, but for now am just going with the 650.

WiskyT
11-27-2011, 14:35
Think of a Ford Super Duty pickup. Is it a better truck for normal use? It costs more, has more power and can handle more weight. So it's better right? Wrong, because it costs more, everything on it costs more, it gets worse milage, it's gonna ride like a shopping cart. Unless you're pulling a skid steer with it, it's not "better".

MisterLady27
11-29-2011, 14:17
Howdy rpgman,

1. Welcome to GTR, your new Big Blue machine will serve you well, and is truly the gift that keeps on giving. My beloved Lady27 bought me one several years ago, and I am always in "NEED" of another die set or conversion kit, or toolhead, or...... :whistling::whistling:

2. And as you see, it is a mighty fine group of folks you're dealing with here. Friendly, fun, nit picky - all that. In fact, I'm surprised that no one jumped on your 650xl nomeclature- backwards and all - so I took care of that in the title.
:cool:

3. Seriously, I reload 7 pistol calibers and 2 rifle - I'm sure others do more; a .308 die set should arrive by Christmas - see above - and I love that press. I'm not a basement slave to the reloader - I can load a 100 rds between when I come in the house until supper's on the table - I've got loads that function for the GGLRLS without their friends being spooked about recoil - customer and tech service is GR8T - I'm a fan. You'll be pleased.

ML27

rpgman
11-29-2011, 14:45
Howdy rpgman,

1. Welcome to GTR, your new Big Blue machine will serve you well, and is truly the gift that keeps on giving. My beloved Lady27 bought me one several years ago, and I am always in "NEED" of another die set or conversion kit, or toolhead, or...... :whistling::whistling:

2. And as you see, it is a mighty fine group of folks you're dealing with here. Friendly, fun, nit picky - all that. In fact, I'm surprised that no one jumped on your 650xl nomeclature- backwards and all - so I took care of that in the title.
:cool:

3. Seriously, I reload 7 pistol calibers and 2 rifle - I'm sure others do more; a .308 die set should arrive by Christmas - see above - and I love that press. I'm not a basement slave to the reloader - I can load a 100 rds between when I come in the house until supper's on the table - I've got loads that function for the GGLRLS without their friends being spooked about recoil - customer and tech service is GR8T - I'm a fan. You'll be pleased.

ML27

thanks, yea I messed up the title, and then caught it afterwards and you can't fix it.

I just hope I get it by this weekend.
Greg

PCJim
11-29-2011, 14:54
On some boards, the OP can use the edit function on his first thread post and change the title. Not sure if GT has this functionality...

F106 Fan
11-29-2011, 15:03

I would seriously consider the 650 instead of another 1050 for 9mm IF a high percentage of my 'free range' brass wasn't crimped. I just can't get past it. The 650 is a lot cheaper and with a case feeder should be every bit as fast as the 1050 (more or less) so it should be a great press - clearly an upgrade from my 550B's. Except for the crimped cases...

I don't handle my brass very much. I separate it (by caliber) with those plastic collander-like separators, tumble it and dump it in the hopper - I don't look at it. I am certainly not going to look at the primer pockets to see if they are crimped. And that's the only reason I don't already have the 650 instead of waiting a little longer for the 1050.

I am just too lazy to handle the brass and toss those with crimped primers. And I am even less interested in interrupting the flow by running into a crimped pocket on a 550B or 650.

Richard

ron59
11-29-2011, 15:13
thanks, yea I messed up the title, and then caught it afterwards and you can't fix it.

Sure you can.

Press the EDIT button of your original post, and then make sure you go into "Advanced" mode (there's an ADVANCED button). Pretty sure you can change the title from there.

WiskyT
11-29-2011, 16:20
I don't handle my brass very much. I separate it (by caliber) with those plastic collander-like separators, tumble it and dump it in the hopper - I don't look at it. I am certainly not going to look at the primer pockets to see if they are crimped. And that's the only reason I don't already have the 650 instead of waiting a little longer for the 1050.

If you don't polish, inspect, measure, guage, and weigh each and every case, you're dick is going to fall off.

rpgman
11-29-2011, 16:41
Sure you can.

Press the EDIT button of your original post, and then make sure you go into "Advanced" mode (there's an ADVANCED button). Pretty sure you can change the title from there.

Thanx
all fixed.

F106 Fan
11-29-2011, 17:00
If you don't polish, inspect, measure, guage, and weigh each and every case, you're dick is going to fall off.

:rofl:

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
11-29-2011, 19:45
I would seriously consider the 650 instead of another 1050 for 9mm IF a high percentage of my 'free range' brass wasn't crimped. I just can't get past it. The 650 is a lot cheaper and with a case feeder should be every bit as fast as the 1050 (more or less) so it should be a great press - clearly an upgrade from my 550B's. Except for the crimped cases...

I am just too lazy to handle the brass and toss those with crimped primers. And I am even less interested in interrupting the flow by running into a crimped pocket on a 550B or 650.

Richard

If I had to worry about crimped primer pocketd I would own a 1050. But luckly all my brass is already run through a 1050 before I get it. I am just lucky that way.