Help me with a good hi-brass 16 gauge round for my auto5 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a good hi-brass 16 gauge round for my auto5

TrueGunNut
11-26-2011, 14:05
Guys...

Took my grand father's browning auto5 sweet sixteen out to the skeet range for the first time in over 25 years!

The gun was not ejecting, so I discovered that you need to: make sure it is lubed, assembled correctly as far as the rings go for recoiling light loads and that you have the magazine lock off. All of thiw in order for the spent round to be ejected and another to be fed into the chamber.

I realize you need "hi-brass" shells to make this old classic run right. Remington dove field load #8 shot was obviously too weak.

Please recommend me a very hot load in 16Gauge that i can shoot skeet with and have enough power to operate the recoil mechanism of the auto5 with the "light load" setting with the recoil rings.

I was thjnkig fiocchi was hot.. Im gunna keep surfing the net here for "hi-brass". Whatever that means..

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

fiasconva
11-26-2011, 14:37
That old Browning may very well have a 2 9/16" chamber. If that's the case it will not eject 2 3/4" shells. There is also a way to adjust the friction rings to allow it to shoot the low brass shells. But if you are going to shoot high brass I would not recommend it. Go to shotgunworld.com and then to the "I love my Browning" section and you'll get all the info you need. Good luck!

collim1
11-28-2011, 22:29
Got an old A5 in the family. I was always told it was made to shoot paper shells, and wont be reliable with crimped plastic shells.

fiasconva
11-29-2011, 15:36
That depends upon how old it is and what gauge it is. IF it's a 12 gauge it will shoot the modern ammo with ease. The 16 gauges were made at first with 2 9/19" chambers so the modern 2 3/4" shells were too long to eject once they were fired. A lot of the older 16's were modified to shoot the longer shells later. Shotgunworld.com is an awesome site to find out your Browning. Those guys there know their stuff!

Mattkcc
11-30-2011, 22:04
My Sweet 16 would shoot low or high brass very reliably, yours may just need a good cleaning. You my also need to replace the friction rings if they are worn out. Go to http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php lots of guys with A5 knowledge.

fiasconva
12-01-2011, 15:39
Thanks for posting the website, Mattkcc. I didn't know about that one and will check it out too.