AR15 sbr and engraving [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR15 sbr and engraving

themighty9mm
11-26-2011, 21:42
If one were to do the paper work ect for a sbr as an individual. Would I have to have the receiver engraved? If so what info has to be on it? Where on the receiver? And who does it?

WoodenPlank
11-26-2011, 21:48
If one were to do the paper work ect for a sbr as an individual. Would I have to have the receiver engraved? If so what info has to be on it? Where on the receiver? And who does it?

Yes, you have to engrave it. Your name and city, state of residence at time of application(edit to add: if you go through a trust, this must be the name and location of the TRUST). Can be on the receiver or barrel (receiver suggested on ARs). Should be engraved somewhere readily visible on the exterior, so no hiding it inside the action. Mine is engraved on the right hand side of the mag well, but I have seen it above the trigger guard, front of the mag well, and even inside the trigger guard. Must be a minimum of .003" deep and at least 1/16" high lettering.

You can have it done by anyone that does engraving, and it must be done before the approved stamp is received. Several shops will allow you to ship it to them for engraving, but you can also check out local jewelry shops and cigar shops (they often offer engraving for things like lighters, custom humidors, etc). If you feel frisky, you can even do it yourself.

themighty9mm
11-26-2011, 21:55
Thanks, if I do it I most definatly wont be doing it myself. Not sure how worth it it is to me yet, just throwing some ideas around in my head. Trying to figure out the details n all

WoodenPlank
11-26-2011, 22:00
Thanks, if I do it I most definatly wont be doing it myself. Not sure how worth it it is to me yet, just throwing some ideas around in my head. Trying to figure out the details n all

I had mine done with a laser engraver in a machine shop. .003 is barely through the anodizing on an AR receiver if it is done to spec, so it doesn't take much to meet ATF requirements.

Glockdude1
11-26-2011, 22:14
Keep in mind once you engrave it with your name/info on it, the rifle will be difficult to sell later on, if you wanted to sell it.

:cool:

Javelin
11-26-2011, 22:17
Keep in mind once you engrave it with your name/info on it, the rifle will be difficult to sell later on, if you wanted to sell it.

:cool:

This. I would opt for the manf. SBR'd any time I can get my hands on one. Definitely worth the extra trouble in case you want to sell it later on down the road.

WoodenPlank
11-26-2011, 22:20
This. I would opt for the manf. SBR'd any time I can get my hands on one. Definitely worth the extra trouble in case you want to sell it later on down the road.

Or you can sell your SBR upper, remove the lower from the registry and go back to a 16" upper.

DustyJacket
11-26-2011, 23:19

There is a laser engraver in Lees Summit that does firearms. Accu Laser Engraving
They have a web site.

I am going to have to SBR my 9mm AR pistol, or just trade it in on a Ruger 77/357.

The AR pistol is getting too heavy, and I am getting too old and out of shape.

Landric
11-27-2011, 06:36
An advantage to engraving the lower on an AR is that the lower is the "gun" legally. Therefore, if one wanted to sell off the components at a later date, only the lower would decline in value due to the engraving. A stripped lower is a sub-$100 part (a on-sale PSA lower is $50), so its not a huge loss in the event of later sale.

There is a laser engraver in Lees Summit that does firearms. Accu Laser Engraving
They have a web site.

Any idea what they charge and if I can ship a lower to them? My wife is from Lee's Summit. We were there over the summer, but I didn't have my lower with me, so I didn't stop by and talk to anyone. I don't want to wait until next summer (when we will likely be there again) to get it done. No one in my area knows anywhere locally to get it done, so I'm going to have to ship a lower somewhere.

Lee-online
11-27-2011, 07:07
I sent my stripped lower the Orion. Took about 10 days and I got it done in the trigger guard. It is very professional looking. I think it was about $60 including shipping.

http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html

A few local places do not engrave the trigger guard location where i wanted it. The trigger guard is less obvious but still a ATF approved location.

Get the lower engraved before sending the form 1, if the lower is messed up or lost then it is just a class 1 not a class 3 weapon.

CAR-AR-M16
11-27-2011, 18:40
Yes, you have to engrave it. Your name and city, state of residence at time of application(edit to add: if you go through a trust, this must be the name and location of the TRUST). Can be on the receiver or barrel (receiver suggested on ARs). Should be engraved somewhere readily visible on the exterior, so no hiding it inside the action. Mine is engraved on the right hand side of the mag well, but I have seen it above the trigger guard, front of the mag well, and even inside the trigger guard. Must be a minimum of .003" deep and at least 1/16" high lettering.

You can have it done by anyone that does engraving, and it must be done before the approved stamp is received. Several shops will allow you to ship it to them for engraving, but you can also check out local jewelry shops and cigar shops (they often offer engraving for things like lighters, custom humidors, etc). If you feel frisky, you can even do it yourself.

There is no size requirement for the manufacturers info (name, city, state). Only the serial number has a height requirement. Depth for both is .003". Here is the law on markings.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

(c) The Director may authorize other means of identification upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

(d) In the case of a destructive device, the Director may authorize other means of identifying that weapon upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) such a weapon would be dangerous or impracticable.

(e) A firearm frame or receiver that is not a component part of a complete weapon at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(f)(1) Any part defined as a machine gun, muffler, or silencer for the purposes of this part that is not a component part of a complete firearm at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(2) The Director may authorize other means of identification of parts defined as machine guns other than frames or receivers and parts defined as mufflers or silencers upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

themighty9mm
11-28-2011, 01:37
Explain? If it comes from the factory as a sbr it does not need engraved?

themighty9mm
11-28-2011, 01:39
They have a web site.

I am going to have to SBR my 9mm AR pistol, or just trade it in on a Ruger 77/357.

The AR pistol is getting too heavy, and I am getting too old and out of shape.
Thanks for the heads up

DustyJacket
11-28-2011, 01:43

It will have info on it, just not your name.

WoodenPlank
11-28-2011, 02:00

It will have info on it, just not your name.

They were referring to the fact that you wouldn't have YOUR personal info engraved on the firearm, thereby making it a little easier to part with. On a Form 1 SBR, you have to engrave your info as the "manufacturer" of the SBR. Buying a factory built one from someone like LaRue or LMT, their info is the only thing engraved on the receiver.

Some people would be hesitant to buy a SBR with someone else's name engraved on it. Many people that build an SBR via Form 1 would be hesitant to sell an SBR with their info plastered on it. The lack of such engraving makes it a little easier to sell later on.

GenoTac Ind.
11-28-2011, 07:48
When I sent mine in I called the NFA office of the ATF and asked if I had to engrave it, now that I sent my application in, suggestion from the reviewer was you should wait until you received the APPROVED stamp before you engrave, incase there is a chance that you need to make corrections or application is not approved.