New Black Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Black Rifle

Wendy
11-27-2011, 08:12
Recently bought this one:

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/WT54/SA583.jpg

DSA SA58 carbine, 18" barrel, new in box close to $2K. Haven't shot it yet but have spent a lot of time on the FAL Files reading and researching the many varieties and idiosyncrasies of the FAL. It's a nice companion to the M4 I have- bigger, heavier, and 7.62! Will try to get to the range this week and get the gas pressure set up and the rifle zeroed- range report to follow.

glock21xxx
11-27-2011, 08:15
Nice rifle! Congrats!

smokin762
11-27-2011, 09:23
Congrats on your purchase.:thumbsup:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
DSA makes a nice Congo style rifle. I used to have an IMBEL parts kit on an IMBEL receiver with a 21Ē barrel. Now, I have an Australian L1A1 parts kit on an IMBEL receiver. I like the folding down rear sight option of the L1A1.<o:p></o:p>

Wendy
11-27-2011, 10:00
Congrats on your purchase.:thumbsup:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
DSA makes a nice Congo style rifle. I used to have an IMBEL parts kit on an IMBEL receiver with a 21Ē barrel. Now, I have an Australian L1A1 parts kit on an IMBEL receiver. I like the folding down rear sight option of the L1A1.<o:p></o:p>

There's a lengthy thread with photos on the FAL Files concerning a sight change-out on one of the rifles (I forget which variation)- some micrometer adjustment style rear sight.

These rifles make up an interesting family- I think the L1A1 is an inch gun, the DSAs are made from Steyr prints so they're metric, the Imbel builds are popular, Rhodesian and Isreali rifles are floating around out there, and the legalities are complicated with regard to the full auto bits- ok to have this and this, but not that, or that and that but not this, etc. FALs are definitely a unique world.

smokin762
11-27-2011, 16:57
There's a lengthy thread with photos on the FAL Files concerning a sight change-out on one of the rifles (I forget which variation)- some micrometer adjustment style rear sight.

These rifles make up an interesting family- I think the L1A1 is an inch gun, the DSAs are made from Steyr prints so they're metric, the Imbel builds are popular, Rhodesian and Isreali rifles are floating around out there, and the legalities are complicated with regard to the full auto bits- ok to have this and this, but not that, or that and that but not this, etc. FALs are definitely a unique world.

You are right. The L1A1 and the other Common Wealth FALís is an inch pattern rifle. While most of the other variants of the FAL rifle are the metric pattern. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The rear screws for the windage on my L1A1 rear sight were kind of chewed up. I ordered new screws from DSA. At the time, I wasnít sure if they would have the same amount of teeth or not. It turns out they do. Since I bought the DSA made screws and found out that they are of the micro click variation I would think your rear sight windage screws are the same as mine. <o:p></o:p>
Concerning Parts Kit FALís, when building these rifles with a flash hider, there needs to be at least 7 U.S. Made parts. Without a flash hider, itís 6 U.S. Made parts.<o:p></o:p>
Any of the following U.S. Made parts count towards the parts count, Receivers, upper or lower, buttstock, pistol grip, handguard, charging handle, piston, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, flash hider, trigger, hammer and sear. Most of these parts can be bought at DSA. I bought many of my parts for my metric and inch FALís from DSA. They have been good people to deal with.<o:p></o:p>
You may want to go to DSAís site and get a front sight tool and a gas regulator adjustment tool. All of mine ran best at the #3 setting. <o:p></o:p>
http://www.dsarms.com/searchprods.asp?searchstring=gas+reulator+adjustment+tool&pagenumber=2&val=0

Wendy
11-27-2011, 17:48
You may want to go to DSAís site and get a front sight tool and a gas regulator adjustment tool. All of mine ran best at the #3 setting. <o:p></o:p>

I bought those two tools and extra mags when I purchased the rifle- thanks for the tip on #3!

Two_Clicks
11-27-2011, 17:50
Nice stick looking forward to a range report

smokin762
11-27-2011, 17:52
I bought those two tools and extra mags when I purchased the rifle- thanks for the tip on #3!

Enjoy your new rifle. They are a lot of fun. I will always own one.

Here is my L1A1.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1300&pictureid=4785

Wendy
11-28-2011, 06:02
Enjoy your new rifle. They are a lot of fun. I will always own one.

Here is my L1A1.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1300&pictureid=4785

Very nice setup- I like the rail idea. I'll be tweaking mine as time goes by.