shoulder holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shoulder holster

win
11-27-2011, 08:21
my dad wants to try carrying his xd 45 in a shoulder holster.
What one(s) would you recommend.
thanks

HexHead
11-27-2011, 08:55
I use a Galco Jackass rig. Very comfortable.

Don't listen to the Nancys that will say you're walking around covering people with your muzzle. Others won't know because it's concealed, I've never heard of a handgun just going off spontaneously while being holstered in one. And if things got to the point I have to draw my weapon to protect my life, the last thing I'm going to be concerned with is that my pistol may be covering something.

Travclem
11-27-2011, 09:03
I have recently started carrying my Glocks in a Galco Miami Classic II. It's very comfortable and well made. I prefer it over the Jackass and Miami Classic due to it's horizontal mag carrier. 46 rounds of .40 never carried so easily.

Travclem
11-27-2011, 09:08

Don't listen to the Nancys that will say you're walking around covering people with your muzzle. Others won't know because it's concealed, I've never heard of a handgun just going off spontaneously while being holstered in one. And if things got to the point I have to draw my weapon to protect my life, the last thing I'm going to be concerned with is that my pistol may be covering something.
Also, if someone were to come at you with this arguement just remind them that no matter what holster you use, the muzzle is always pointed at someone. I carry IWB almost every day with the muzzle pointed at my leg. I assume that the negative nancies never go up stairs in a multiple story building either.

The shoulder holster does have it's drawbacks i.e. sweeping a large area on the draw. But just like with the Blackhawk Serpa, if you are responsible and train with what you carry, it should be a non issue.

ZekerMan
11-27-2011, 09:22
I have recently started carrying my Glocks in a Galco Miami Classic II. It's very comfortable and well made. I prefer it over the Jackass and Miami Classic due to it's horizontal mag carrier. 46 rounds of .40 never carried so easily.

I agree with Travclem and use one as well when wearing a jacket or when on my motorcycle with a leather coat.

Travclem
11-27-2011, 09:39
I agree with Travclem and use one as well when wearing a jacket or when on my motorcycle with a leather coat.
My motorcycle is why I have one as well.

IGotIt
11-27-2011, 09:41
Another vote for Galco Miami Classic.

http://ineedmoregear.com/galco-miami-classic-shoulder-holster-3-5-spgfld-xd-3-mc446

cheapest on the web.

rahrah12
11-27-2011, 09:44
+1 for the Galco Miami Classic II

I use it to carry my Sig P220 Carry

xmanhockey7
11-27-2011, 09:45
I'd suggest the Galco Miami Classic. For concealment reasons he may want to go with the vertical holster over the horizontal unless the shoulder holster is strictly for when he wears jackets then the horizontal shouldn't be a problem. I personally found my Glock 22 to be too long to fit in Galco Miami Classic and not print but that was when I wore a button up shirt. If I put a jacket on, even a light one, it was not an issue.

PlayboyPenguin
11-27-2011, 09:48

I have never seen a gun go off on it's own being carried either. But I have seen multiple cases of people shooting themselves in the arm drawing from a shoulder holster. They are not a very sound method of carry IMHO. The worst part about them in my opinion is that unless you are wearing an open front coat or sweater over them they are very awkward to access.

RussP
11-27-2011, 11:14
One of the things most people wearing shoulder holsters do not utilize are tie downs that secure the holster and mag carrier to their belts. It makes a lot of difference when drawing.

PlayboyPenguin
11-27-2011, 11:48
One of the things most people wearing shoulder holsters do not utilize are tie downs that secure the holster and mag carrier to their belts. It makes a lot of difference when drawing.
Back when I would use a shoulder holster I always took some leather and grommets and created a tie down like this one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/SHtiedown.jpg

captcurly
11-27-2011, 11:52
One more vote for the Galco Miami Classic. I use one for my G 36.

xmanhockey7
11-27-2011, 17:26
I have never seen a gun go off on it's own being carried either. But I have seen multiple cases of people shooting themselves in the arm drawing from a shoulder holster. They are not a very sound method of carry IMHO. The worst part about them in my opinion is that unless you are wearing an open front coat or sweater over them they are very awkward to access.

And OWB and IWB can cause you to shoot yourself in the leg/hip. SOB carry can lead you to shoot a very bad spot. Appendix carry can cause you to shoot yourself in the leg or junk. Don't let the shooting yourself deter from carrying in a shoulder holster because no matter where you carry it can cause a ND and you shoot yourself. Just like everything else practice.

wuvmyglock
11-27-2011, 17:30
Whatever you decide.... DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT A FOBUS ROTO-HOLSTER set-up.

Japle
11-27-2011, 18:06
I tried a shoulder holster with a LW Commander back in the early 90s. I found two problems:

1. The rig cuts off air circulation under your shirt and you get hot. Here in Florida, thatís not something you want.
2. The rig soaks up sweat and pretty soon you smell like a horse that needs a bath.

I use Kydex paddle holsters.

HexHead
11-27-2011, 18:11
Take your magazine out and check that your chamber is empty. Practice drawing from the shoulder holster 100x. If that trigger is back, don't carry like that.

RussP
11-27-2011, 18:37
Folks, the OP is looking for holster recommendations.

There is a new thread for discussing the pros and cons of shoulder holsters...

Shoulder holsters should be outlawed (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384114)