Which Gold Dot 357Sig's do I have? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Gold Dot 357Sig's do I have?

ABNAK
11-27-2011, 11:34
I have the Buffalo Bore 125gr GD's. It has 6 sections and an actual cavity as opposed to the shallow "cup" I've seen on some GD 357Sig bullets. Which Gold Dot did BB use?

FWIW they chrono'd ~ 1500fps from my 4" Storm Lake drop-in barrel for my Glock 23.

dkf
11-27-2011, 12:42
Sounds like the version designed for the 9mm that the reloaders buy. The .357sig specific gold dots both have the shallow cone shaped HP cavity. At those velocities I would expect the petals to shear off in the media with that design.

unit1069
11-27-2011, 20:16
Sounds like the version designed for the 9mm that the reloaders buy. The .357sig specific gold dots both have the shallow cone shaped HP cavity. At those velocities I would expect the petals to shear off in the media with that design.

Your observation seems to jibe with canyonman's info which indicated to me that Double Tap once used the 9mm Gold Dot in its .357sig rounds that I bought several years ago.

When I pursued this question a couple of GT members provided photos showing that both the Speer .357sig bullets are the shallow cup design.

dkf
11-27-2011, 20:52
My understanding is the availability of the .357sig GD to reloaders is a lot more sporatic. The 9mm design is more popular and sells more obviously.

I've been watching sites that sell the .357sig GD and they are out of stock the majority of the time. When they get some in they are gone right away, was even worse during the "ammo shortage" a few years ago. Using the 9mm GD is also cheaper for a company like BB or DT because they can buy a big load of them at a better price and use them in both 9mm and .357sig. A win for the company (in theory) but a loss for the guy buying the .357sig ammo.

PghJim
11-28-2011, 17:55
Unfortunately, BB's website shows the right 6-petaled bullet with the shallow cavity, but he is loading 124gr 9mm GD's, I stopped buying them when Speer cut off the regular 357 sig bullet. DT used the 124gr 9mm bullet for a while, then went to Seirra's. The BB stuff is hot though. I was getting 1,500fps with them, but I do not know how they would perform. I have about 200 rounds from 3 years ago with the right GD bullet and they are a great, hot load. I just wish Tim would take that picture off of his website that gives people the impression they are getting the standard GD 357sig bullet.

Glockbuster
11-28-2011, 20:48
Last two posters are correct.