Did a little shooting today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did a little shooting today

OregonG20
11-27-2011, 12:42
I used the hood of my truck as a rest with these. I really only shoot off-hand, but I wanted to know how accurate the stock barrel was. I don't think I can do any better than this.

180 gr. Hornady XTP
Starline brass
13.8 gr. of Accurate Arms #9.
1.26 COL
CCI 300 primer

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/roryhunt/DSC02417.jpg

The second group of 5 was almost as good, with one flyer an inch and a half away from the group. Still could have covered the main group with a quarter though. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, because it isn't. I think most people here could shoot well with a rest, I was just amazed at the stock barrels accuracy. I see people writing that they get better accuracy with the aftermarket barrels, and that Glocks aren't accurate guns and such. Maybe I just got a good one from Glock. Now I KNOW when I miss off-hand, it isn't the pistol, it's me.

rcd567
11-27-2011, 13:48
Nice shooting! I'd have to agree that the stock barrel is good enough. I did however buy a Lone Wolf because I reload and the stock barrel was bulging the cases quite a bit. Won't know how it shoots for a week or two because my frame is at Cold Bore Custom http://www.coldborecustom.com/ for a grip reduction.

_The_Shadow
11-27-2011, 15:50
Lookin' good! Congrats!

nickE10mm
11-27-2011, 16:01
Excellent shooting, bud. Excellent.

I've ALWAYS gotten great groups from my stock barrel. HOLD ONTO THAT HANDLOAD, man. Accurate as heck.

Taterhead
11-27-2011, 16:09
VERY nice. Like Nick said: that handload is a winner. Love those XTPs.
G20 I assume. Did you get a chrony of that load by chance?

bac1023
11-27-2011, 19:35
Very cool :cool:

post-apocalyptic
11-27-2011, 21:48
...I see people writing that they get better accuracy with the aftermarket barrels...

I've yet to see any actual proof of that, just anecdotal statements. Imo most if not all of those claims are inspired by wishful thinking.

Nice shootin, OregonG20! Looks like your '20's workin properly. :thumbsup:

OregonG20
11-28-2011, 06:57
VERY nice. Like Nick said: that handload is a winner. Love those XTPs.
G20 I assume. Did you get a chrony of that load by chance?

I wish I had a chronometer. Maybe the jolly fat man will drop one off at the house sometime in December.

cigarman454
11-28-2011, 11:56
Great shooting I'd say you have that one dialed in.

leeward419
11-28-2011, 17:10
Hi, That is a great group!
I was wondering how you got to 13.8 grns AA9. Did you work up to this, and did you have any excessive bulging or other signs of pressure? It appears to be a nudge over book curious how the brass faired.
I am looking at LongShot and AA powders for use in 357 sig and 10mm. Accuracy of the AA9 is incredilbe
thanks

Taterhead
11-28-2011, 17:20
I was wondering how you got to 13.8 grns AA9. Did you work up to this, and did you have any excessive bulging or other signs of pressure? It appears to be a nudge over book curious how the brass faired.
I am looking at LongShot and AA powders for use in 357 sig and 10mm. Accuracy of the AA9 is incredilbe
thanks

I can't answer for whether the op worked up to that. You are right that it is over Accurate's max but a good deal below the Hornady max. In my experience the pressure symptoms are benign at the Accurate max.

OregonG20
11-28-2011, 18:46
thanks

I worked up to it. Started at 13 gr. I went to 14 gr, and still didn't see any pressure signs, but my reloader throws 13.8 consistently. When I tried throwing 14, I got 14-13.9-14.4, things like that. It was strange and too erratic to be trusted.

I am also the guy that asked about my split cases a while ago. I got the splits with 13, 13.2 and 13.5 when I re-worked it, so I am chalking it up to bad brass. None of the cases show a big bulge, in fact they look identical to my 165 gr Hornady Critical Defense rounds. One of the pictures of the split cases I put up here had an angle that made the bulge look WAY bigger than it really was. This round doesn't beat up the brass anymore than factory ammo with my stock barrel, and I trust completely.

Of course, if you are going to try it, work up deliberately.

Have fun.