38 special [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 38 special

rpgman
11-27-2011, 19:49
Anyone have a nice soft load for 38 special?
I have some Hornaday xtp 110gr bullets I wanna try out with Unique.

My wife just bought a S&W Bodyguard 38 Special and I wanna make some rounds for her for target practice.
Greg

GioaJack
11-27-2011, 20:00
If you want soft loads Unique isn't the powder to use, you're going to get a lot of unburned powder.

Just throw a little Bullseye under 'em... you can tailor that for any load she feels comfortable starting with, increase it as she becomes more proficient then load your hotter loads with Unique.

(Just a note, 110 grainers pushed fast do not make for reliable SD loads, they become very frangible with very little penetration. I have personal experience along those lines. Actually hard to beat a 158 grain LSWCHP.)

Jack

WiskyT
11-27-2011, 20:01
A light loaded 110 with Unique might be a bit flashy/blasty. 4.5 Bullseye with a 125 LTC works great and feels real light.

atakawow
11-27-2011, 20:01
For soft shooting, 2.7 - 3.0 gr of Bullseye seem to be the standard. I have no experience with Unique in that caliber.

Also, is XTP all you have? General plinking with Hornady XTP bullets can rack up the cost quite quickly.

rpgman
11-27-2011, 20:14
Thanks all
I have some bullseye also.

The xtp 110 I had just laying around.
I'm not making any SD loads for her.
Just target loads.

I'll have to get some 125's n some 158's to load for her for target.

WiskyT
11-27-2011, 20:20
Thanks all
I have some bullseye also.

The xtp 110 I had just laying around.
I'm not making any SD loads for her.
Just target loads.

I'll have to get some 125's n some 158's to load for her for target.

I think the 110's with BE would be fine, just a little spendy. Look for "cowboy" loads for cast bullets like the 125. Alliant has data listed specifically for that.

bush pilot
11-27-2011, 21:20
I shoot 125 gr plated or lead bullets over 3.5 grs of Bullseye. This load is very comfortable to shoot out of even the lightest revolver.

Wyoming
11-28-2011, 20:13
A long time ago when revolvers ruled in law enforcement. When the 38 Special was the most reloaded round, it was common knowledge that 2.7 grains of Bulleye over a 148 grain lead wad cutter was used for practice and competition. It not much harder to shoot than 22.

I will buy a bulk pack of 148 WC and use that same load today for the same reason you want. The only warning I have with Bullseye powder is so little is used that it is very easy to double charge a case so pay attention when reloading.

buckshotshorty
11-28-2011, 20:30
A long time ago when revolvers ruled in law enforcement. When the 38 Special was the most reloaded round, it was common knowledge that 2.7 grains of Bulleye over a 148 grain lead wad cutter was used for practice and competition. It not much harder to shoot than 22.

I will buy a bulk pack of 148 WC and use that same load today for the same reason you want. The only warning I have with Bullseye powder is so little is used that it is very easy to double charge a case so pay attention when reloading.

I learned to shoot with this load, and competed in bullseye matches with the same load. Very light, very accurate, and easy to see the holes made by wadcutters.

Wyoming
11-28-2011, 21:18
I learned to shoot with this load, and competed in bullseye matches with the same load. Very light, very accurate, and easy to see the holes made by wadcutters.

I don't shoot 38/357 as much as I used to but I keep that and 125 JHP and 158 SWC Lead in "stock" for my wife and her friends.

Beside use in matches and practice it is a very good small game load. :thumbsup:

F106 Fan
11-29-2011, 01:09

I am still using that load with a Hornady 148 gr HBWC in my S&W 52 semi-auto. What a terrific target pistol. It shoots much nicer than my S&W 41 .22 target gun.

Richard

rpgman
11-29-2011, 11:33

thanks,
Greg

Wyoming
11-29-2011, 21:13
thanks,
Greg

You are welcome my friend.

BTW, it is cheap and easy. You get over 2,500 rounds for one pound of powder and if you use the double end wad cutter it doesn't matter what end you stick in the case. Because of the low pressure your brass will last a very long time. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Roughedgekid
11-30-2011, 06:51
I use 4.5 grs of unique over a 158 SWC for my wife to practice with and she does well with it. a little smoke but it dont seem to matter.

Beanie-Bean
11-30-2011, 12:17
Just picked up a new Ruger LCR, so thanks for posting this info. I was looking at the reloading books late last night, then realized that I don't have any brass to reload in this caliber!

So, off to get some factory ammo to shoot so that I will have some brass afterward.

Shellplate and dies to follow for the 550