Anybody ever touched off a round inside? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever touched off a round inside?

OregonG20
11-28-2011, 12:14
Without hearing protection? With all the other scenarios people train for when it comes to self defense, I wondered how many people realize how loud a 10mm round is when it goes off in a living room.

I know not everybody lives in an environment where they can shoot out their back door without any danger, but I was curious if anybody has.

cigarman454
11-28-2011, 12:51
I have a friend who owns a pawn shop and had a shootout with some robbers. He said he couldn't hardly hear or recognize voices for 3 weeks. He was shooting a 45 never asked what the other guys were shooting. I don't recommend trying it.

TRaGiK
11-28-2011, 13:06
Never tried it with a 10, but have done so with 9mm, .38 special (snubby....LOUD), .22 rimfire, and .223 (extra loud!).

Don't recomend doing it very often, or at all, and certainly not more than one shot if you're that curious. The times I've done it, my ears would ring for an hour or so.

With that said, on a negligent discharge I had 10 years ago, I barely remember hearing the bang, and my ears never rang a bit. It was with a 9mm.

Seraph1926
11-28-2011, 13:07
in an actual shooting, you're not going to notice your hearing until later.

ModGlock17
11-28-2011, 13:14
I did that all the times. It's called in-door range. That's the only place where old guys don't wear their hearing aids.

WHAT?

OregonG20
11-28-2011, 13:20
Oh, I've already done it. :wow: It was pretty loud. It was only one shot, and I can't imagine what a full fledged shootout would be like. I live in an area where I can shoot out the back door with out any problems, and I was curious as to what it would really be like.

A lot of self defense guys train for every possible scenario, but I was curious as to whether or not the loud sound would have any disorienting effects. I would say it doesn't, but again, I only fired one round.

I also like how nobody in any movie or show ever seems to complain about their ears ringing...lol.

ModGlock17
11-28-2011, 13:39
You do well already by thinking about scenarios. The best thing is to continually "acclimate" yourself to it. Practice often. Shoot one hand. Learn how to load mags one hand, right and left. Use your nose, because most of the time, BG smells bad. :rofl:

Realistically, ear plugs are under $2 at Walmart. Have them in different places in the home and cars.

Breadman03
11-28-2011, 15:00
LOUD. If you're shooting out the door, much of the pressure will go right out. In a closed building like a range, you can feel the pressure.

robert91922
11-28-2011, 15:25
I tried several times w. my 9mm SD ammo (147gr/1180fps), but only 2 or 3 shots at a time at open range, just to imagine how loud it is if ever happens to shoot in SD. If I'd have to defend myself indoor it sure would damage my hearing but well known SD expert here on GT says:
"Better deaf than dead. In grave you won't hear anything."
Once I tried my 10mm 200gr/1250 round. I was planing to shoot 4 hunting rounds on "wild boar scene" but just 1 shot was waaay enough :shocked:
I put my Peltors back then and finished the rest of cardboard boars.

I read somewhere that if you open your mouth when shooting without hearing protection it helps somehow because sound pressure comes to Tympanic Membrane from both sides (Auditory Canal and Eustachian Tube). With almost equal pressure on each side there's less possibility of damage.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/different-parts-of-the-human-ear.html

Anyway, I doubt I will remember to open mouth in high-stress situation. But who knows?

cowboywannabe
11-28-2011, 15:56
there are thousands of self defense shootings each year where the home owner touched off one or more shots inside their own house......they'd be the ones to ask.

you body shuts down many things under stress. fine motor skills are one (comp I or II loaders help if youre a revolver fan), vision is another, and hearing is yet again another.

iv stood behind somebody sighting in their 30-06 outside in the open, one shot and i had to put my finders in my ears......but when im drawing a bead on a deer or pig and touch one off i hardly notice the sound.

adrenaline is the bodies defense against many things.

RRrider
11-28-2011, 15:59
I've been 5 feet away w/o hearing protection in a living room when one was popped off.

was a .40 cal.

I was hearing every fine, like normal. I didn't hear the pop. All of a sudden I couldn't hear anything except ringing in my ears. took about a min and a half to get hearing back, took a few hours for the ringing to go away.

cowboywannabe
11-28-2011, 16:04
what about the kids in the classroom where the professional DEA guy shot himself in the foot? can they still hear o.k.?

danattherock
11-28-2011, 17:58
Never fired of a 10mm indoors, but a few 357's. Too drunk to recall how loud it was though:)

Taterhead
11-28-2011, 18:12
Never have done it myself. However 10mm must be loud. In some IDPA stages that have walled partitions, it can be really loud - even with hearing protection. That is especially true with Blue Dot.

ScaryPerryDawsy
11-28-2011, 18:30
Had a ND 20 or so years ago with a 12ga. The round was a magnum slug and it was damn loud! My ears rang for and hour or two, getting the smell out of my place was another story. :embarassed:

ModGlock17
11-28-2011, 18:54
Short barrels are loud. So I put an extended on my G29, but every time I shoot my G26 stock I remember how loud and wild the short barrel is.

Pro 2A
11-28-2011, 18:56
Read 'On Combat' by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It talks about what can happen in the adrenalin of a self-defense situation. It covers all the things varying levels of stress will cause within your body so you know what to expect and don't get freaked out by things like loss of vision, or hearing, or bowel control. It also covers what might happen after the event is over, like "memory loss", extreme fatigue or innability to sleep, flashbacks, etc.

You're not likely to hear the shot, just as hunters don't usually wear hearing protection, but don't have ringing ears after shooting something. It's a reaction of the body/brain to an expected loud sound under stress. Some people even find they can hear certain things just fine, like the brass hitting the ground, but can barely hear the gun shots. The body is an amazing thing!

In otherwords, don't bother risking your hearing to practice for something you probably won't have an issue with. Especially when the practice can do more harm than good.

ModGlock17
11-28-2011, 18:56
Had a ND 20 or so years ago with a 12ga. The round was a magnum slug and it was damn loud! My ears rang for and hour or two, getting the smell out of my place was another story. :embarassed:

You mean you had to do laundry? :rofl:

21Carrier
11-28-2011, 20:58
I read somewhere that if you open your mouth when shooting without hearing protection it helps somehow because sound pressure comes to Tympanic Membrane from both sides (Auditory Canal and Eustachian Tube). With almost equal pressure on each side there's less possibility of damage.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/different-parts-of-the-human-ear.html

That is true. However, you would need to do more than just open your mouth. Your eustachian tubes exit into your throat, and are usually closed even if your mouth is open. They have to stay closed, or your hearing would suffer due to pressure wave equalization on both sides of your ear drum. When you yawn, you open your throat wide, and it can open your eustachian tubes. That's why your ears sometimes pop when yawning, and why yawning helps pop your ears in an airplane. Yawning while shooting would likely be a better option! It would be like having a speaker or subwoofer in open air. If you have ever tried such a thing, it makes very little sound. That's because it creates sound waves on each side, which cancel each other out (for the most part). If you place the subwoofer in an enclosure or box, only the sound waves from one side are released into the air, creating sound. Your ear drum is like a reverse speaker. Instead of creating sound, it responds to sound. If it receives sound on one side, it vibrates. However, if the sound waves hit if from both sides (ear canal and eustachian tube), they would somewhat cancel each other out, reducing the ear drum's movement. That makes it sound quieter.

I've shot many rounds (outdoors) without hearing protection when younger. I don't remember it being bad. I have fired lots of shotgun rounds, some rifle rounds, and a good bit of pistol rounds without protection, but don't really remember it. The only time I remember was about 8 months ago. I was going to fire a magazine of .45ACP from my G21SF, then some 10mm from my G29. I fired ONE round out of the G21SF and stopped. It was like I just went deaf for a second, then my hearing came back and the ringing started. My right ear got the brunt of it, as I guess my head was cocked.

My left ear was fine the next day, but my right ear was crap for about 3 weeks. It rang for a few weeks, and any loud noises made a sloshy noise. It was annoying as hell. I will NEVER shoot without ear protection again. That one shot showed me that I will suffer later, but it was not especially startling or anything. At least to me, my hearing just cut out. It's not like I felt pain at the shot. I'm not worried about the blast affecting me during a shooting, just after.

inspectorjj
11-28-2011, 22:54
About 30 years ago, me and a friend were goofin' off at the lake drinking a bottle of TJ Swan Easy Nights sitting in the cab of the truck when he dared me to shoot this turtle off of a limb that he was sleeping on. so I reached over and grabbed the Taurus .357 sitting in the drivers seat and shot over him through the passenger's window and nailed the turtle. He said " Hey, I thought you were going to get out of the truck and shoot it".
I said...................................

"W H A T " !

mj9mm
11-28-2011, 23:06
not me, but i know someone who fired one shot from his .308 in the basement into the fruit cellar. BIG noise, and dust coming out of the walls all the way to the 3rd floor.:rofl: his dad said, don't do that again :dunno:

janice6
11-28-2011, 23:41
Well. As long as you asked. Yes!

When I was in 7th grade, my father got a Model 1886 Lever Action Winchester in .33 caliber for deer hunting. He was quite old and it turned into my gun.

One day he was uptown, and I put a 6 inch thick box of gravel at the end of the basement room (dirt floor). The foundation was 2 to 3 ft thick granite blocks with an interior 18" of poured concrete to about 5 ft high.

I* lined up on the box and squeezed the trigger. I couldn't hear for about an hour later. The dust and dirt in the basement came down from the ceiling in an opaque layer to the floor. In slow motion. I heard ricochets and waited to see if I was shot. I was not. Their were chunks of concrete missing where the slug hit at least two walls.

My sister came down from third floor and said she thought "all hell had broke loose".

It was an apartment house and for some reason, no one complained to my dad about the sound.

I never did that again........I don't think the gravel even slowed the slug down.

Jitterbug
11-29-2011, 07:32
Back when I started shooting I don't think anyone even manufactured eye/ear protection, and even if they did it was only for sissies.

Lately I double up all the time to preserve what little hearing I have left...

BigLaw
11-29-2011, 08:22
I've not done my desk pop yet. I'll report back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZTTtE5_zQ

Pro 2A
11-29-2011, 23:05
These posts reminded me of the time my Grandfather offered to let me shoot his luger in his basement. My brother was young 7 maybe? (apparently too young, since he didn't get asked to shoot it) but he accompanied us downstairs. We didn't have hearing protection, so I told my brother to stand behind me and to put his fingers in my ears and he did! After the shot he was pretty mad, but didn't say anything about his hearing being affected. LOL

rcd567
11-29-2011, 23:27
A few rounds. Didn't hear a thing. Everything in slow motion. Could hear fine afterwards.

Taterhead
11-29-2011, 23:32
These posts reminded me of the time my Grandfather offered to let me shoot his luger in his basement. My brother was young 7 maybe? (apparently too young, since he didn't get asked to shoot it) but he accompanied us downstairs. We didn't have hearing protection, so I told my brother to stand behind me and to put his fingers in my ears and he did! After the shot he was pretty mad, but didn't say anything about his hearing being affected. LOL

Holy crap! I belly laughed out loud reading this. Had to pause the TV to read it to my wife. She laughed out loud too, but then she felt sorry for your poor little brother.:rofl:

Such a big brother thing to do, and younger brother dumb enough to go along with it. I have 4 brothers so I can relate.

twisted1
11-30-2011, 01:00
My great uncle was a priest, and one day he was cleaning his new ruger deerstalker 44mag carbine in his church (no one but me an him there) an one round popped off an hit the ceiling. Scared the doodoo out of me and him. For some reason when he racked the slide one round popped off. I think it was a hand load. It was really really loud in that church.... I still go to same church after 15 years. Hole has been patches, but still remember it like it was yesterday.

OregonG20
11-30-2011, 01:10
My great uncle was a priest, and one day he was cleaning his new ruger deerstalker 44mag carbine in his church (no one but me an him there) an one round popped off an hit the ceiling. Scared the doodoo out of me and him. For some reason when he racked the slide one round popped off. I think it was a hand load. It was really really loud in that church.... I still go to same church after 15 years. Hole has been patches, but still remember it like it was yesterday.

...for some reason he was "cleaning" a loaded gun. Hell of a memory. Whoo!

Allsmk_nomirror
11-30-2011, 01:10
Fired 20 rounds of 7.63X39 without hearing protection once, let's just say my hearing was gone for two days. Won't do that dumb ass thing anymore that's for sure.

4949shooter
11-30-2011, 05:47
My father used to shoot Lugers, P-38's, and 1911's in an indoor range back in the seventies, and maybe even the sixties. Hearing protection wasn't in vogue back then.

He is hard of hearing today because of it.

Ewalk
11-30-2011, 06:22
Read 'On Combat' by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It talks about what can happen in the adrenalin of a self-defense situation. It covers all the things varying levels of stress will cause within your body so you know what to expect and don't get freaked out by things like loss of vision, or hearing, or bowel control. It also covers what might happen after the event is over, like "memory loss", extreme fatigue or innability to sleep, flashbacks, etc.

You're not likely to hear the shot, just as hunters don't usually wear hearing protection, but don't have ringing ears after shooting something. It's a reaction of the body/brain to an expected loud sound under stress. Some people even find they can hear certain things just fine, like the brass hitting the ground, but can barely hear the gun shots. The body is an amazing thing!

In otherwords, don't bother risking your hearing to practice for something you probably won't have an issue with. Especially when the practice can do more harm than good.

That is good advise, Lt. Col. Grossman really goes into detail about the body's response to high stress situations. His other book "On Killing" is a great read too.

bear10
11-30-2011, 14:52
I recently had an accidental discharge with my G20. I was going to bed one night and for some reason my finger was on the trigger when I reached to put the gun on the nightstand. The loud BOOM startled the hell out of me and my golden retiever! The nightstand suffered a DPX bullet thru it with minimal penetration. Hell of a way to test a load.
Since then I carry Silvertips with the DPX loads reassigned to being coyote loads.
Most off all I had it sunks deep into my head(thru ringing ears) to keep my finger off the trigger until i was actually aiming at something!:shocked:

blastfact
11-30-2011, 21:00
I touched off a Ruger Super Black Hawk .44 mag once inside a home. It was loaded with very hot ammo. I never heard it fire nor did I see the so called muzzle or cylinder flash. Ears went to a state of ringing and recovered in about 30 mins.

Many years ago I was in Tijuana partying with a buddy. We got a bit tired and headed to a area just outside of town to get some shut eye. His poor Austin was never the same. He was in the front seat passed out and I was heading that way when I heard a noise. Looked up from the back seat and saw a man with a huge blade trying to gently pry his way into the car. Being in Mexico I did not wish to shoot the man. So a fired a round through the roof of the car with my 1911. Again never heard the 1911 fire and never saw a muzzle flash. The perp dropped his blade and one could see wetness and could smell stink mixed in with his leaving foot prints.

Other stressful events like motorcycle, car wrecks or the injuries I've received working or playing are always slow motion events. But don't hurt until later. Sometimes days later. If ever.

Other times like in shooting or fighting it's very ballistic reactions. Years ago when I got the divorce papers from my first wife I was walking down the street in downtown. I knew I was going to loose my retirement home, tons of money, basically every damn thing I had worked for in my life since the age of 15. As I crossed the street at a light heading back twords the house I read through the custody part concerning our daughter. I lost it right infront of a couple in a older GMC van. Right in front of them I put my right fist through the grill grabbed the front fascia and hood latch support and ripped it all out. The hood sprung open. I thought those poor folks eyes were going to fall out of there heads. I knew right then and there I had lost it. I stepped aside and started yelling at the folks how sorry I was with what looked to them like the front of there van on my arm and in my fist bleeding like hell. Now calm I walked one block north to the police station and turned my self in. In the end, no charges filed. I just paid for a new grill and a few other parts out of a junk yard and installed them for the nice folks.

Point is OP. Your life experiences will give you 1: insight, good or bad how you may react. 2: what you may need to work on concerning the control of your self and what does not need to be worked on or managed. 3: your ability to manage pain or severe emotion stress.

Me,,, I'm a walking basket case. So I go with my internal, natural instincts. While young they were very aggressive. As I age I've come to understand the flight response or let it lay.

A example of my slow growth. A buddy of mine and I were at the OU, Iowa St. game last Sat. My buddy and I both being smokers go sick of the horrid winds and light rain. So late in the 2nd quarter we went to the south end of the stadium in the wide open were most smokers go to puff and watch the big screen. Some jacked up sob and his family,,, god bless them came around the corner. Older man and his confused wife and child. He proceeded to let me know that him and his family don't smoke and demanded I put the cig out. I agreed and told them I was sorry. Just trying to get a break from the wind and rain. He then went on to tell me I was a a-hole and a sob. All of this taking place right in front of security. I backed him up a tad after he expressed a willingness to fight over it then and there. I then explained to the man in a calm voice I would not beat him in front of his wife and child. And told him under no certain terms if he acts like this all the time, he's living on borrowed time and left. My buddy I've known since 5 years of age. Was in shock. He could not believe I didn't dismember that dumb sob.

When it comes to deadly force. Know when to fight and when to run.

SolidBrass
11-30-2011, 21:25
My gun dealer tells me guns are the reason I HAVE TO YELL EVERYTHING is say to him. Good guy though. Makes me be sure to use protection. I've even used plugs and muffs together if I'm going to 'light it up' big and fast. Better nerdy than deaf. Even a few seconds after 30 or 45 rapid fire shots in the woods and I still might say "what" when nobodies talking.

PS If I had realy good earmuffs this wouldn't have to happen. (please Santa)

ModGlock17
11-30-2011, 23:56
Fired 20 rounds of 7.63X39 without hearing protection once, let's just say my hearing was gone for two days. Won't do that dumb ass thing anymore that's for sure.

That left me pondering why you would proceed to fire the 19 rounds after hearing the first one.

SolidBrass
12-01-2011, 17:48
That left me pondering why you would proceed to fire the 19 rounds after hearing the first one.

Ha, I do that a lot. Fire one round, and then put the muffs on so my ears can ring in peace for the rest.

ModGlock17
12-01-2011, 18:15
Ha, I do that a lot. Fire one round, and then put the muffs on so my ears can ring in peace for the rest.

Well, I think he said he fired the whole 20 without ear protection.

Jitterbug
12-02-2011, 08:30
I could hear just fine if everyone would just stop mumbling.

ModGlock17
12-02-2011, 11:52
I could hear just fine if everyone would just stop mumbling.

That could be a good thing when my mother-in-law comes over and want to have a "conversation", then I can just blame on the round went off.

Pro 2A
12-03-2011, 20:30
Holy crap! I belly laughed out loud reading this. Had to pause the TV to read it to my wife. She laughed out loud too, but then she felt sorry for your poor little brother.
:rofl:

Such a big brother thing to do, and younger brother dumb enough to go along with it. I have 4 brothers so I can relate.

Worse- A big SISTER thing to do! :rofl: