870 Choke questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Choke questions

wisecane
11-28-2011, 13:58
I am getting ready to either buy a new HD type shotgun or convert an older 870 Wingmaster into one. I have a few questions for the experts:

1. Are there any "dimple" issues in the magazines of older Wingmasters when it comes to adding magazine tube extensions? By older I mean like 50's-70's type Wingmasters or even a Wingmaster Magnum.

2. When it comes to choke; is there a preferred choke for Buckshot and Rifled Slug use? Is it better to have a barrel that is just one choke, or to have a RemChoke Barrel? I am thinking of a do it all type with a 20" Barrel. If it has RemChokes I could use it as turkey gun too.

The reason I am asking is because I have seen numerous different barrels offered on places like GunBroker and I would only like to buy once.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I am looking forward to the responses.

UrbanOps
11-28-2011, 14:40
Generally "cylinder bore" is what is used. Typically you can't shoot slugs out of a barrel with a choke...well, more than one slug.

cyphertext
11-28-2011, 15:08
There are no dimples on the older wingmasters. There may not be any on the new ones either, but I don't have one of those to compare it to.

For HD, I don't use a choke. Buckshot patterns just fine at down the hall and across the room distances for my house. If your gun is going to live a dual purpose life, like hunting and HD, there is no rule against having two barrels. Many people have a 28" barrel and an 18" barrel for their shotgun for this purpose. Or, a 20" Rem Choke barrel makes a good compromise. Use a full choke for turkey, and IC for slugs.

aippi
11-28-2011, 16:36
All shotgun barrels have a choke. You are confusing the fixed choke built into the design to threaded choke tubes. Cyl Bore is essentially no choke but there is some restriction there. I/C is most common. Remington Cly Bore and Modified barrels cost more.

All the Remington shotguns that come with tube extensions do not have the detented in the magazine tube as those are only used on the 4 shot tubes that have the internal retainer to keep the magazine cap in place. they are easily removed if you want to ad a tube extension to a 4 shot magazine on an 870. It is simply not an issue.

Magnum means nothing. You can shoot 2 3/4" magnums in every Remington 12 ga shotgun that has ever been made. All 10 million plus of them. You are confusing the 2 3/4" weapons with the 3" weapons.

Every modern Remington 12ga barrel today handles up to 3" shells and many up to 3.5" shells.

Rem Choke tubes are not for heavy use with buck shot and slugs. The best all around barrel for you would have a fixed I/C choke.

vafish
11-28-2011, 17:11
You'll have a much more usefully gun with multiple barrels.

Get a 28" vent rib with remchoke and a 18.5 imp cyl barrels.

AquaHull
11-28-2011, 17:15
Generally "cylinder bore" is what is used. Typically you can't shoot slugs out of a barrel with a choke...well, more than one slug.
I shot Foster slugs out of my FC Wingmaster for years , it was 2/3/4 " ,with no screw in choke circa 1976, I shot steel shot out of it also.

wisecane
11-29-2011, 08:44
All shotgun barrels have a choke. You are confusing the fixed choke built into the design to threaded choke tubes. Cyl Bore is essentially no choke but there is some restriction there. I/C is most common. Remington Cly Bore and Modified barrels cost more.

All the Remington shotguns that come with tube extensions do not have the detented in the magazine tube as those are only used on the 4 shot tubes that have the internal retainer to keep the magazine cap in place. they are easily removed if you want to ad a tube extension to a 4 shot magazine on an 870. It is simply not an issue.

Magnum means nothing. You can shoot 2 3/4" magnums in every Remington 12 ga shotgun that has ever been made. All 10 million plus of them. You are confusing the 2 3/4" weapons with the 3" weapons.

Every modern Remington 12ga barrel today handles up to 3" shells and many up to 3.5" shells.

Rem Choke tubes are not for heavy use with buck shot and slugs. The best all around barrel for you would have a fixed I/C choke.

Thanks for the reply,

I completely understand the difference between a fixed choke barrel and a RemChoke barrel and I know the difference between the 2 3/4" chambered and 3" chambered guns. I worded my dimple question poorly. I was trying to see if any older Wingmasters had the dimple in the mag tube.

I was asking about the best all-around choke for buckshot and slugs because if I go with the 20" barrel with rifle sights and RemChokes, I would leave in that choke tube when the gun was being used for HD or Tactical (on a range course) action.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I specifically asked what choke because I have seen conflicting info between IC and Modified as to what was best. So here on this forum the answer is IC, but here it appears to be modified: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262746538

If the RemChokes won't stand up to repeated use with buckshot and slugs then I will forego them.

aippi
11-29-2011, 12:55
much of my response was directed at some of the answers you were getting as there was some confusion there.

Here is how I decide when recommending to a client. If you are going to shoot regular ass buck shot and slugs like I do go with Modified. The Modified choke gives you tight patterns with buck shot and it stablizes rifle slugs better then other chokes. This is not up for debate people, it is a fact.

If you are going to shoot tactical type waddings then go with I/C as I see POI issues when these rounds are used through a Modified choke. For example: Shooting low recoil buck shot then shooting true ball slugs results in the slugs having a far higher POI then the center of the buckshot pattern. Also, the advancement of tactical type waddings has all but negated the need choke selection if you are going to exclusively shoot that type of ammo. And yes, most POI for a slug will be higher but it is magnified when mixing these types of ammo by the modified choke.

Yes, Rem chokes are not for slugs and heavy loads. Screw out a rem choke tube and look at the threads. That is a mirror image of the threads in the barrel. Rather small are they not? The choke tube is stainless steel and is much harder then the steel in the barrel. Over time this harder steel pulling against those softer threads are going to wear at them. Will this happend in a few years? No. But be assured one say with heavy use of slugs it will. Slugs are squezzed at the choke to stablize them and that force pulls forward on the tube. You don't have to know much about steel to understand the result of hard stainless steel pulling on tiny threads of softer steel over a period of time. Also, fail to make sure that tube is tight before each range session and that time will come sooner then you expect.

wisecane
11-29-2011, 13:18
Woo Hoo! Now THAT is the answer I was looking for. I just purchased an older 2 3/4" chambered Wingmaster that is nearly identical to one I had when I was younger.

I am going to get a shorter barrel and mag tube extension for it. I had thought about keeping it all blued, but most of the barrels I see are parkerized. It would need re-blueing anyway as it shows some wear. I like the KISS attitude shown on your site. I may contact you about adding those items and refinishing.

aippi
11-29-2011, 20:55
Remington makes an 18.5" bead sight and a 20" bead sight both in blued Wingmaster finish and both in I/C choke. They also make the 2 shot and 3 shot extensions with blued tubes.

cyphertext
11-29-2011, 22:29
I hate to disagree with Aippi, but shooting slugs and buck through a Rem choke is fine, provided that you have the choke fully seated and tight. Will it eventually wear and damage the threads? Maybe. Will the polymer on your Glock eventually wear and break down faster than a steel bodied pistol? Maybe....But you will be long dead and gone before either is an issue.

method
11-30-2011, 01:30
I've shot lots of slugs and buck through my REM choked 20" 870. Not tons, but it's seen its fair share over 20 years. Choke tubes go in and out just fine. I usually keep a modified tube in it.

method
11-30-2011, 01:32

Nonsense. What do you think gives first, a steel gun barrel, or a soft lead slug?