Back Up Fixed Blade or Folder To a G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Fixed Blade or Folder To a G19

Glocknload 19
11-28-2011, 16:42
I carry a G19 as a primary weapon with a Jframe for back up. Was wondering if any of you guys carry a small fixed blade weak side knife to guard against gun grabs or just for defense. I carry a Spyderco Native for utility but would the K Bar TDI LE knife be too over top to carry for a pure defense blade. I hardly think I'm going to get into a knife duel. Ive noticed that a lot of very well renowned firearms instructors carry a good quality folder but make no mistake about stating that its just a utility cutting tool. None of them carry small weak side fixed blade knives or even high end folders. How many of you guys think this is a good idea, or does it look like Im just looking for trouble with this carry combo. Is a good folder good enough?

up1911fan
11-28-2011, 17:28
Is the carrying of a fixed blade knife legal in your state?

Glocknload 19
11-28-2011, 17:39
Yes, I live in Fla. Legal with a concealed weapons permit.

up1911fan
11-28-2011, 17:49
My next question for you is if your carrying concealed, how realistic is the threat of a gun grab? Who is gonna grab what they can't see?

Wawrz
11-28-2011, 18:15
I always carry a CRKT M16-14ZSF folder... works good for me

Averageman
11-28-2011, 18:23
It is always good to have a knife on the weak hand side.
I prefer a fixed blade, but currently carry a C.S. AK47.

Sonnytoo
11-28-2011, 18:24
I ALWAYS have a pocket-clip Spyderco or BenchMade folder on me as long as I'm dressed at all.
G36, G19 or PPS when I leave the house. Often wear the PPS at home since it's so narrow.
S2

samarai
11-28-2011, 19:26
While I was on "the job" I always carried some sort of folding knife, usually something like a Spyderco police model or one of their other units. I always found that their clip along with the fast opening blade with the hole in it made getting the knife out and deployed fast and easy. I always felt that the reason I carried this was more for utility with the secondary purpose being for defense. This changed. I became much more aggressive in my thought process regarding this. I switched up and went to an Emerson Karambit which is purely a defensive, or offensive knife. Depends on how you use it. One of the main reasons for changing up was due to the fact that the blade was extremely aggressive coupled with a fast opening system because of that "hump"which catches the edge of your pants pocket while pulling it out. This is almost as fast as a fixed blade knife. I always carried on my reaction, or off side in case of a gun grab. Another compelling thing was that US air Marshalls are issued, or were at the time,issued Emerson Karambits. Is a small fixed blade better? Depends on how you look at it. There are plenty of great, small fixed blade knives out there. The folders might be a bit easier to carry versus the fixed blades. Hope this helps with your decision.

Warp
11-28-2011, 21:57
Yes, I live in Fla. Legal with a concealed weapons permit.

My next question for you is if your carrying concealed, how realistic is the threat of a gun grab? Who is gonna grab what they can't see?

There probably isn't any "if". He's in Florida. Open carry is not (generally) legal, hence his "concealed" weapons permit. ;)

Maine1
11-28-2011, 22:31
i EDC a 4" or so fixed blade i made. Use it for everything. The fact that its set up drawpoint style is just a coincidence, as is the fact that it is acsesible with either hand.:)

I prefer a small/med fixed blade to a folder (also carry one too) as its NOT already broken, and its faster to use coming and going, with one hand, especialy in colder weather where layers are worn. I can hold a bag of feed, reach under my coat or vest, pull the knife, make the cut and resheath without fooling with a clip, or removing my gloves.
Besides, when some of the 'must have" folders get to be priced the same as, or a substantial portion of, a handgun, my interest wanes.
The folders released now just seem to be the same desings rehashed over and over. i realize that variety sells, but the really useful patterns have not changed much.

Spiffums
11-29-2011, 09:19

Knock ya in the head from behind (your dazed but not out) jerks up your cover to get at your right pocket for wallet and there's a gun! IF they were following you for a few to size you up as a target they might have seen the gun and noticed you were distracted a little bit. It's as real as you want to make it.

eaglefrq
11-29-2011, 09:39
Here's a thread to a HAK that I just reviewed. You can neck carry or weak side carry as well.

The HAK is designed for your index & middle fingers to slide through, so even if you are hit and stunned, it won't fall out of your hand. The way it's designed, you can have this knife in your weak hand and still properly grip your pistol.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384334