How do you fit an aftermarket Glock barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit an aftermarket Glock barrel?

mizer67
11-28-2011, 18:44
Does anyone have a how-to guide or post the could point me towards on the procedure for fitting an aftermarket gunsmith fit barrel for a Glock like a Bar Sto?

I'd like to see if this is something I can tackle myself with files and patience, or if it's best to find a local gunsmith.

dr_hefley
11-28-2011, 18:48
Never done one, but I was under the impression they just dropped in. An expert will be along shortly with a better answer.

mizer67
11-28-2011, 19:00
Never done one, but I was under the impression they just dropped in. An expert will be along shortly with a better answer.

There are "drop in" models from most barrel makers.

I am more interested in those that are purposefully made oversized and require fitting in the hood and (depending on the barrel maker) other locking areas.

cciman
11-29-2011, 21:15
It should be drop in. Gunsmith can only take away, not add material.

The gunsmith puts the barrel in, determines where the barrel is too "tight", or rubbing too hard or much, and files/buffs that away.

If it is way outta spec, he should tell you , and you should get your money back.

mizer67
12-03-2011, 13:17
It should be drop in. Gunsmith can only take away, not add material.

The gunsmith puts the barrel in, determines where the barrel is too "tight", or rubbing too hard or much, and files/buffs that away.

If it is way outta spec, he should tell you , and you should get your money back.

Perhaps I'm not being clear.

I would like to personally fit an oversize "gunsmith fit" barrel in a Glock. These are made by a number of manufacturers such as KKM and Bar-Sto to where they are purposefully oversized in critical dimensions of the locking areas to give a tighter fit than stock when complete, removing slop in the engagement and improving consistency of lockup, theoretically increasing accuracy.

Does anyone have any experience doing this themselves, or know of an online source that describes the DIY project? What tools did you use and how difficult was it to complete the job with hand files or stones and a flat surface to check your work?

woolecox
01-14-2012, 22:21
Perhaps I'm not being clear.

I would like to personally fit an oversize "gunsmith fit" barrel in a Glock. These are made by a number of manufacturers such as KKM and Bar-Sto to where they are purposefully oversized in critical dimensions of the locking areas to give a tighter fit than stock when complete, removing slop in the engagement and improving consistency of lockup, theoretically increasing accuracy.

Does anyone have any experience doing this themselves, or know of an online source that describes the DIY project? What tools did you use and how difficult was it to complete the job with hand files or stones and a flat surface to check your work?

You are being very clear to me because I would like to know the same thing. I ordered a "Gunsmith fit" Bar-Sto Match/Target barrel today for my G22. If I can't get it figured out by the time it gets here then I suppose I will get one of the excellent gunsmiths in my area to do it for me.

I would prefer to learn to do it myself. No one on this forum seems to have this knowledge or if they do they are not sharing it. Please post up if you figure it out and I will do the same.

Thanks!
Woolly

Pierre!
01-15-2012, 09:25
Pretty sure it was my first 'drop in' aftermarket barrel that would not *fit*...

5 to 6 strokes of a flat file against the front of the barrel hood, and it dropped in.

It IS amazingly accurate - it is not uncommon to shoot 3 times and get only 2 holes with this G19 - Really - Both my wife and I can do this...

So, there may be a case for fitting a barrel.

I only have about 9 or 10 aftermarket barrels - direct replacements or caliber conversion barrels... and the above mentioned barrel is the only one that will regularly pull the 3 for 2 accuracy result.

I don't know if I could have done this with a "to be fitted" barrel by the way. That is probably a gun smith thing, and I would want to know how many barrels he had fitted in the past and talk to some people about his work.

Firearms can be picky about their dimensions...

HTH
Patrick

woolecox
01-15-2012, 09:32
Here is some better information I found on another post:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393131

Pierre!
01-15-2012, 09:37
This actually might be less expensive and easier to work with

Match Grade Slide Lock:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754&page=10

Great thread, and finding it again may actually get me off my rusty dusty to order one to try out!

HTH

Patrick