Reasonable price for .45 ACP brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price for .45 ACP brass?

Blunt object
11-28-2011, 21:42
The used brass places I've looked at online look to be running $60-$70 per thousand plus shipping yet I'm seeing almost no response to brass I've listed at substantially below that.

Just the slow economy or Is there a lot of inexpensive brass out there somewhere?

What's the "I've got to jump on this" price level?

Thanks,
Chuck

fredj338
11-29-2011, 00:53
More likely no one knows you. Buying form a reputeable company, most trust they are getting once fired. Buying from a want add, could be anything. It's a bargain only if the buyer thinks it is. For sure, $50/1000 for true once fired 45acp brass is a good deal. I would buy some, but I actually have probably more than I can reload in my life as it lasts almost forever.

F106 Fan
11-29-2011, 01:02
Advertised where?

I just bought some brass from centerfirebrass.com and, for .45 ACP, it's about $70/1000. I see they are now out of stock.

I also buy new Starline brass for about $160/1000 for .45 ACP.

One thing about once-fired brass is whether it has been sorted to remove small primer cases such as Blazer. These tend to mess up reloading.

Then there is the crimp. Not a problem on my Dillon 1050 for .45 ACP but a PITA for 9mm on my Dillon 550B. I seem to get a lot of crimped cases when I pick up range brass.

It hasn't been a problem so far but I understand brass from Glocks can be a little bulged.

So, I'm a little leery about buying once-fired brass even if it is half the price.

Richard

cardinalfan
11-29-2011, 07:40
Try your local gun range, ask for a 5 gallon bucket of mixed brass (I pay $100 for a full bucket, about 6K rounds of usable brass), keep what you want, sell the rest. My range actually sells sorted brass, .45ACP, $50/1000, 9mm & 40S&W, $30/1000.

TN.Frank
11-29-2011, 10:16
Some of the best prices for brass on the Internet.
http://centerfirebrass.com/products-list/45-acp/

Zombie Steve
11-29-2011, 10:46
The overwhelming majority of pistol I shoot is .45 auto, and I've never paid for .45 auto brass since I started reloading. I always seem to leave the range with more than I brought. It's just there for the takin'.

:dunno:

fredj338
11-29-2011, 13:41
The overwhelming majority of pistol I shoot is .45 auto, and I've never paid for .45 auto brass since I started reloading. I always seem to leave the range with more than I brought. It's just there for the takin'.

:dunno:
I found that true at the local club I shoot IDPA, 50-60 shooters twice a month. Maybe only 8-10 45acp guys, but I think there are only 3 of us competing for brass. I end up getting about 1.5x what I shoot. I haven't bought 9mm or 40 brass in 20yrs+, there is always a bunch of once fired stuff laying around.:dunno:

Blunt object
11-29-2011, 15:14
Thanks for the input, guys.

I've been selling brass here on GT for a couple of years. .45 always moved pretty well, just not seeing much interest in my latest offering, even at $45/K.

I hear you on leaving with more than you bring. When I teach classes I always give students first dibs on their brass. Few take it, so I often end up with coffee can full of brass.

So far the small primer stuff has been relatively scarce in the brass I buy. I suspect it's going to get more prevalent as more brands move to the lead free primers and consider the potential savings in using small primers for most of their ammo.

Is sorting by headstamp/primer size worth an extra $15-$20 per thousand to you?
Is cleaned/polished worth $$$ or would you rather have raw brass a little cheaper?

GioaJack
11-29-2011, 15:27
I've bought .45 and 9mm brass from Blunt Object on several occasions and each time they've arrived within the time frame promised, tumbled better than I do and a greater quantity than what I actually paid for.

My last order of 9mm even had a few .380's lurking around... if I'd had a glass of scotch I could have died a happy man.

I would certainly have no qualms about doing business with him again but I don't lose that much brass... I have two grandkids and a supply of bubble gum.

Jack

davesretired1
11-29-2011, 16:04
I did a search for Blunt objects ad for used .45 ACP brass for sale. No luck. Are you still selling? I have a friend who lives in Vegas and could pick it up for me. Shoot me a PM if it's still available at davesretired@yahoo.com.

F106 Fan
11-29-2011, 16:10
Is sorting by headstamp/primer size worth an extra $15-$20 per thousand to you?
Is cleaned/polished worth $$$ or would you rather have raw brass a little cheaper?

I don't care about headstamp but I ABSOLUTELY care about primer size. I don't want to have to inspect the cases before I dump them in the case feeder.

Cleaned/polished isn't worth anything - to me. I have a large Dillon Vibratory Case Cleaner and it runs a lot.

My interest is in .45 ACP and 9mm.

Richard

Blunt object
11-29-2011, 16:15
I did a search for Blunt objects ad for used .45 ACP brass for sale. No luck.[/EMAIL].
Yeah, for whatever reason the new want ad section posts don't show up in a search by member's name.
I just relisted it so it's near the top of accessories category, here:

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=19661&title=-45-acp-brass&cat=6

I have about 6K on hand with another 10K available if I commit to it.

Blunt object
11-29-2011, 16:27
If I (or rather my unemployed son :D ) sorts the brass piece by piece for primer/size/headstamp it will probably end up at $55 to $60 per thousand.

Maybe I'll add that option to my ad for those who don't want to sort and inspect it themselves.

Thanks.

freedom790
11-29-2011, 16:38
I will vouch for Blunt Object. I've bought brass from him a couple times, each time it was quick, easy, and everything an online transaction should be.

njl
11-29-2011, 18:49
The used brass places I've looked at online look to be running $60-$70 per thousand plus shipping yet I'm seeing almost no response to brass I've listed at substantially below that.

Just the slow economy or Is there a lot of inexpensive brass out there somewhere?

What's the "I've got to jump on this" price level?

Thanks,
Chuck

That's just way too high. My most recent brass purchase, I got flat rate boxes of .45ACP LP and .45ACP SP (sorted), about 3000 per box, for IIRC, about $100 per box. delivered.

It wasn't clean, but it was "all" brass, just a few different headstamps, and I only found about 3 rejects (wrong caliber and/or Blazer aluminum) cases per flat rate box.

davesretired1
11-29-2011, 21:07
That's just way too high. My most recent brass purchase, I got flat rate boxes of .45ACP LP and .45ACP SP (sorted), about 3000 per box, for IIRC, about $100 per box. delivered.

It wasn't clean, but it was "all" brass, just a few different headstamps, and I only found about 3 rejects (wrong caliber and/or Blazer aluminum) cases per flat rate box.
Where did you get it from for that price??

njl
11-29-2011, 22:10
Brian Enos forum classifieds. Granted, there may not be a constant supply at that price, and you may have to move fast to snap them up, but if you're willing to wait for it and pounce, once fired brass can be had much cheaper than the used brass "commercial dealers". Then again, if you buy several thousand at a time, are careful to pick up your brass, and pick up range brass when others leave it behind, a few thousand should last quite a while. I expect this most recently purchased 6k to last me at least several years...so I guess it's ok that I've given up my source :)

Blunt object
11-29-2011, 22:44
[QUOTE=njl;18221927] My most recent brass purchase, I got flat rate boxes of .45ACP LP and .45ACP SP (sorted), about 3000 per box, for IIRC, about $100 per box delivered. /QUOTE]

Good score.
That's not much more than scrap rate here in Vegas.