Kydex holster wear?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kydex holster wear??

bossmannjb78
11-28-2011, 22:36
Besides not using a kydex holster how can you prevent wear on the finish? Thanks

g2122
11-28-2011, 22:44
I have a Glock 23 and use a Comp-tac Infidel Kydex holster for it. I have worn it several times over the past hear and taken the gun in and out of the holster several times. So farm the only wear I see is in front of the trigger guard and that is barely noticeable. I have a Comp-tac MTAC for my Glock 22 and have not worn it as much. There is a little bit of wear at then end of the slide at the muzzle. This is on the leather side only. there is no wear on the side of the handgun that is against the kydex part of the holtser. I don't have any experiences with handguns with less durable or more conventional finishes like bluing, though.

dkf
11-28-2011, 22:48
Any holster I've come across regardless of material its made out of will cause some holster wear eventually. Just the way it is. If you want to carry the gun your going to have to accept that.

The Retired Sarge
11-28-2011, 22:49
I use Comp-tac kydex holsters with several Glocks on a daily basis and find them to wear the Glock finish the least of any holsters I have used. Can't speak for other kydex brand holsters. Key is to keep the kydex clean. Bill

owl6roll
11-28-2011, 22:53
Haha, holster wear, really??

TexasPOff
11-28-2011, 23:04
Besides not using a kydex holster how can you prevent wear on the finish? Thanks

:faint: Don't shoot, carry, or clean the firearm. That is about the only way. Wear is just the nature of the beast. Wear=Character......TXPO

pizza_pablo
11-28-2011, 23:27
You could keep it in a sock, under your mattress.:whistling:

BailRecoveryAgent
11-28-2011, 23:37

Leather will wear the holster more so than kydex, just deal with it. Holster wear is a fact of life if you're gonna carry.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Chowser
11-29-2011, 00:47
The best way is to buy a duplicate gun and never open the box.

Other than that, you're going to have some holster wear if you carry it in a holster.

Deal with it.

Just like a new car, it's gonna get scratched eventually.

ken grant
11-29-2011, 08:11
I use a Silicone Spray on all my holsters, leather,Kydex or Plastic like the Glock Sport/Combat.

I give them a coat inside and let dry,makes drawing easier,smoother and seems to give less wear on the pistol

vmann
11-29-2011, 08:31
I use a Silicone Spray on all my holsters, leather,Kydex or Plastic like the Glock Sport/Combat.

I give them a coat inside and let dry,makes drawing easier,smoother and seems to give less wear on the pistol
you spray silicone on the inside of a leather holster....that cant be good...

vmann
11-29-2011, 08:32
most kydex holsters are pretty easy on the finish, they for the most part only contact the trigger guard...

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-29-2011, 08:47
you spray silicone on the inside of a leather holster....that cant be good...

It's a common practice with our new duty holsters if they grab at the gun when an officer tries drawing it. I've seen it done for 12 years with no negative effect on the leather holsters.

I used this method on a new Safariland for my duty S&W 4006Tac with a Streamlight TLR1 mounted. Before spraying the interior, that bastard would NOT let go of the weapon. It was like Level 7 retention! Works great now.

And for the OP, holster wear gives a Glock the character it is lacking when new. I STRIVE for some wear on my guns. Makes em looked used and loved, which they are. The frustrating part is that Glocks take FOREVER to show a little hint of wear on the slides. I've had a certain G27 for 15+ years and its frame looks almost new. Might have to drag it behind the truck on a string. :cool::cool::cool:

flyingillini
11-29-2011, 09:02
You can hit the slide with a coat of Norrells if the wear gets too bad.

EKUJustice
11-29-2011, 09:07
I have found the Kydex to wear more than leather at the muzzel. Its going to happen if you carry it.

Gperfection
11-29-2011, 09:23
Carrying a gun=Holster wear
Holster wear=Character
That's my take on it!

Serafino
11-29-2011, 09:53
You COULD stick to softer plastics like the Galco Matrix (some folks have had problems with failing rivets), the Glock sports/combat holsters (just keep all dirt out of it and off the gun), or the iTac holsters, but accepting wear is a sign of a mature attitude about a carried weapon being a tool rather than a fetish, so... ;)

ken grant
11-29-2011, 10:44
If you have a small frame Glock and want a Glock S/C. The large frame S/C will work well with it and will not wear the finish as bad as the small frame S/C.

I really like the Glock S/C and use them more than any other holster I have when wearing OWB.
I either wear it inside the belt or outside the belt depending on dress.

Travclem
11-29-2011, 10:46
I have a Glock 23 and use a Comp-tac Infidel Kydex holster for it. I have worn it several times over the past hear and taken the gun in and out of the holster several times. So farm the only wear I see is in front of the trigger guard and that is barely noticeable. I have a Comp-tac MTAC for my Glock 22 and have not worn it as much. There is a little bit of wear at then end of the slide at the muzzle. This is on the leather side only. there is no wear on the side of the handgun that is against the kydex part of the holtser. I don't have any experiences with handguns with less durable or more conventional finishes like bluing, though.
Same with my MTAC.

BamaTrooper
11-29-2011, 12:24
You could keep it in a sock, under your mattress.:whistling:

That you don't sleep on.

ETA- my SW442 goes from nylon ankle holster carried 8-9 hrs daily for 5 days a week, to a kydex Alabama Holster Pocket Holster for use a few hours a week. The black finish is starting to be worn off the sharper edges of the frame and I assume it will end up looking like a 642 frame.

dkf
11-29-2011, 12:36
You COULD stick to softer plastics like the Galco Matrix (some folks have had problems with failing rivets), the Glock sports/combat holsters (just keep all dirt out of it and off the gun), or the iTac holsters, but accepting wear is a sign of a mature attitude about a carried weapon being a tool rather than a fetish, so... ;)

Plastic softness doesn't really mean much. I've noticed more wear in a short time with the soft plastic on a Fobus than the hard as rock kydex on my Comptac Infidel. The Infidel was used a lot more than the Fobus to boot.

rickdogg414
11-29-2011, 13:15

I was about to make a similar post…

Is there anything to do or use to slow down holster wear in a leather holster? Like can I spray some Pam in there or something? LOL

I understand its going to happen anyway, just figured I would see if there is any “prevention” for it.

Serafino
11-29-2011, 14:01
Plastic softness doesn't really mean much. I've noticed more wear in a short time with the soft plastic on a Fobus than the hard as rock kydex on my Comptac Infidel. The Infidel was used a lot more than the Fobus to boot.

Soft materials retain dirt and act like abrasives, I guess.

EDCholsters
11-29-2011, 14:02
Carrying a gun=Holster wear
Holster wear=Character
That's my take on it!

+1

+1 to Ken as well on the silicone spray.

BamaTrooper
11-29-2011, 14:04
With soft plastic, does the plastic wer INTO the finish and make it look dirty/worn, or are we lead to believe that the soft plastic (with or without dirt) is more durable than the Glock finish?

LibertyPatriot
11-29-2011, 14:04
Not that it would affect my decision to buy an XDm vs a Glock but I'm kinda surprised Glock doesn't package the S/C holster with the Gen4's as a bonus to help sell them. There is more than one LGS that won't order and stock a Gen4 as they don't think they'll sell due to the bad rep of them right now.

snichols28
11-29-2011, 14:27
Any holster I've come across regardless of material its made out of will cause some holster wear eventually. Just the way it is. If you want to carry the gun your going to have to accept that.

Exactly! I can say that I do notice considerably less wear from using a Kydex than I do leather. Part of that might be that I can simply put a Kydex holster in the sink and wash the dust and dirt out of it. I can't necessarily do that with leather.

MaximaDrvr
12-01-2011, 23:13
I've put over 20k rounds through my G23C, carried it for three years, and still don't notice holster wear.
When it happens, it is just part of life.

DaneA
12-02-2011, 09:10
...but I'm kinda surprised Glock doesn't package the S/C holster with the Gen4's as a bonus to help sell them.

Glock doesn't NEED a bonus to help sell them. Being the most reliable pistol on the market is bonus enough. :tongue out:
But I agree that I wish they would package it with them.

LibertyPatriot
12-02-2011, 10:22
Dane, did ya notice I said Gen4?

2740dmx
12-02-2011, 15:37
most kydex holsters are pretty easy on the finish, they for the most part only contact the trigger guard...

I agree.
My ultra-thin kydex from Fist, Inc. was the least wearing on the finish of my G27.
I kept it clean, wiped it down with a gun rag, and blew it out with compressed air.
Slick, quick draw, and no holster wear.