Recovered some hollow points (pics) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recovered some hollow points (pics)

twisted1
11-28-2011, 23:00
Shot couple hogs over past couple months. Thought I'd share what the bullets look like after passing through lungs, meat, heart, and mud. Some made comple pass throughs, and others still stayed inside big hogs. Still have couple more different bullets I wanna try.

Here's a pic of my pistol
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/8c804c9b-1.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/694852f5.jpg

Corbon 155 dpx
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/3388c610.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/7633b0be.jpg

Winchester 175 silver tip
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/01a767ee.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/8532fab4.jpg

twisted1
11-28-2011, 23:01
Hornady 180 xtp
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/7504dcd3.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/114952c2.jpg
Hornady 165 ftx"critical defense"
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/0f616633.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/b29d1e01.jpg

Buffalo bore 180 jhp "Montana gold"
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/ac1f977e.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/1eed0b76.jpg

inspectorjj
11-28-2011, 23:17
Very interesting. While the Corbon looks to have perfect expansion, I like the Hornady and the Winchester Silvertip while I think the Buffalo Bore is the least favorable outcome. Just my opinion.

Do you have the penetration probables for each of these?

twisted1
11-28-2011, 23:36
I had weights, lengths, and pictures of damages to hogs, but can't seem to find where I stashed them. They all penetrated hogs within 25yards, and had to use buddies metal detector to find these bullets. I have 4 recovered bullets here, but done lost couple. Farmer here in Louisiana pays me to get rid of wild hogs, so I take them out with my 10 and 223. My family an friends get the meat, and none goes to waste.

I've been working on my reloading skills with my friend, so I can test out some ranger t, gold dots, and even black talons. Havnt gott a chance to try any hard cast yet.

Goodspeed(TPF)
11-28-2011, 23:38
The Hornady 165 and the Silvertip look real nice.

inspectorjj
11-29-2011, 00:15
I had weights, lengths, and pictures of damages to hogs, but can't seem to find where I stashed them. They all penetrated hogs within 25yards, and had to use buddies metal detector to find these bullets. I have 4 recovered bullets here, but done lost couple. Farmer here in Louisiana pays me to get rid of wild hogs, so I take them out with my 10 and 223. My family an friends get the meat, and none goes to waste.

I've been working on my reloading skills with my friend, so I can test out some ranger t, gold dots, and even black talons. Havnt gott a chance to try any hard cast yet.

Dude, you should be charging guide fees for hunts and double-up on all that fun back in my home state.

twisted1
11-29-2011, 01:00
Dude, you should be charging guide fees for hunts and double-up on all that fun back in my home state.

LoL I wish! I've even got one with my bow. Here's a pic of it in back my truck; almost wide as truck! I shot her with muzzy 125gr broad head. That's my hand next to the hole.
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/PIC-0049.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/PIC-0050.jpg
Ferral an wild hogs out here

twisted1
11-29-2011, 01:07
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/PIC-0178.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/PIC-0179.jpg
Hopped up win 175gr silver tip. My buddy pulled an hot loaded it. Just to give you guys an idea of power and penetration of a silver tip pushed to the limits. No trees where harmed :)

rvrrat14
11-29-2011, 11:45
Tell me about how the 155 gr worked out?

Taterhead
11-29-2011, 13:34
Great pics. Do any of these load stand out as particularly superior from what you noticed?

twisted1
11-29-2011, 13:51
Tell me about how the 155 gr worked out?
One shot at about 20 yards; bullet entered mid front shoulder, busted both lungs, and was retrieved on opposite shoulder meat. Wound channel looked like a buzz saw been through it.

Great pics. Do any of these load stand out as particularly superior from what you noticed?
The bufflo bore slaps them hard, but looses steam quick. I dont know if its because the jackets are seperating, or because it done shreaded all its jacket. My favorite round is the silver tip; the only weight it looses is the pedals that fold back. The 180gr xtp is awesome round to under 25 yards.

Taterhead
11-29-2011, 14:05
One shot at about 20 yards; bullet entered mid front shoulder, busted both lungs, and was retrieved on opposite shoulder meat. Wound channel looked like a buzz saw been through it.

The bufflo bore slaps them hard, but looses steam quick. I dont know if its because the jackets are seperating, or because it done shreaded all its jacket. My favorite round is the silver tip; the only weight it looses is the pedals that fold back. The 180gr xtp is awesome round to under 25 yards.

I might have missed it, but did you say that these were all factory loads?

post-apocalyptic
11-29-2011, 14:10
Great post! Thanks for all the pics and info on these various loads! I like the way those Silvertips expand.. pity that Winchester loads em so weak.

I'd be interested to see how the 200gr XTP JHP rnds that Underwood just made available would do vs a pig. I think they'd be devastating. Underwood's hotter than just about every factory load you mention in this post, (their 200gr XTPs fly at a true 1250fps).

I'd also like to see the wound channel that a 135gr nosler JHP would leave in a pig.. it'd probably look like it swallowed a grenade. :supergrin:

dryfly
11-29-2011, 14:58
Very nice ! Stock barrel and recoil spring assembly Or aftermarket ?

I too am anxiously awaiting some tests of Underwoods 200gr xtp's.

mikesull415
11-29-2011, 15:06
I'm surprised there's any pig left at all. It being a 10mm and all

harley45
11-29-2011, 15:14
What weight range on the pigs?

twisted1
11-29-2011, 17:06
Shot everything from 200lb bores to 20lb piglets.
Gun set up is:
Stock barrel: shows no signs of failure from hot loads (2011 model)
Ghost rocket 3.5 connector
Lw 4lb striker spring
Lw 6lb trigger spring
Lw stainless guide rod
Lw 20lb recoil spring
High polish trigger group
Lasermax unimax green laser
Stock

All ammo was factory loads except the ones shot at the trees. I shot trees with hot loaded 175gr silver tip. I plan on ordering some ammo from underwood tonight at work.

Also if you guys won't me to try any of your ammo; hand loaded or factory loads you can mail me one or two bullets.

JimIsland
11-29-2011, 17:16
Exellent info!! Thanks for sharing.

nickE10mm
11-29-2011, 17:21
Awesome thread, thanks for posting

Taterhead
11-29-2011, 17:24
Also if you guys won't me to try any of your ammo; hand loaded or factory loads you can mail me one or two bullets.

I have some 200 gr WFNGC hardcast bullets hand loaded to 1200 fps. Functions safely in my gen 3 G20. If you would be interested in giving a try, I could ship them to you. PM me with the contact info.

I also have some 165 gr Gold Dots loaded to 1335 that might be interesting too.

Two_Clicks
11-29-2011, 17:29
Great post! looks like they all retained weight pretty well though some expanded better than others. Good shooting!

rvrrat14
11-29-2011, 18:17
THANKS! Just got my G20 and carrying 155 XTPs. Feel like this is the load I'll reload too.

twisted1
11-29-2011, 19:23
Thanks guys for checking out my thread. I've been seeing all these threads about what bullet is better then the other, so I decided to give them a "live meat" test. I'm a welder working the grave yard shift, so I do have time to make couple quick hints before work everyday; that's about the only good thing about working nights. I'll try to have some different ammo tested by the end of the week for you guys.

PrecisionRifleman
11-29-2011, 20:24
The 180 XTP's shot in a 6.02 barrel penetrate really well. I was punching rounds though a 5-6" pine tree after just a few shots. I could see the impacts in the pond behind the tree. Attached is one of the rounds recovered from the tree after it fell over.

Shot a doe with the same load that day. The round passed completely through so I wasn't able to recover the bullet. This was a 50 yard shot that took out about 4" of the deers spine and foamed the lungs up badly. The 10mm with good loadings is quiet impressive IMO.

MarineHawk
11-29-2011, 21:19
... While the Corbon looks to have perfect expansion, I like the Hornady and the Winchester Silvertip while I think the Buffalo Bore is the least favorable outcome. Just my opinion....

I'm not sure how you can say this without knowing things like the penatration depth and the volume of the temporary and permanent cavities. The 180gr BB (as to factory ammo) clearly is one of the hottest 10mm made (it hurts my hand and ears the most). It might look prettier (like some of the others) if it was going slower (like some of the others). But that might not be more effective when considering that all these projectiles fully exited the pigs.

21Carrier
11-29-2011, 21:45
Man, you're living it up down there! If you EVER need some help, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to bring my G20LS and G29 down there to help you clean up some piggies. I would LOVE to test out some rounds. Seriously, if you ever need some help, you just let me know. I have family in New Orleans and some small city near Baton Rouge, so it would be a great excuse to visit. I would work for free! I have been dying to shoot some hogs, and I LOVE testing bullets. Also, many of your bullets look IDENTICAL to what I've recovered from my wax tube tests. Particularly the Silvertip and XTP. I've never used the 155gr Barnes, but the 125gr version looks just like that. I would love to test some 135gr Nosler JHPs, 125gr Barnes TAC-XPs, and Gold Dots, among others. Let me know if you need help, and I'll make some time for a visit. I'll even supply all your 10mm ammo.

twisted1
11-29-2011, 23:11
Just give me a call next time your in town. Yeah the silver tip is a mean rib busting, vein ripping, super penetrating round in 10mm; especially when loaded hot. The Barnes style bullets penetrate th best, but when they hit bone I find they deform bad and start to "keyhole" I guess you can call it. When a lead round hits ribs it just looses a little weight an keeps on trucking.

I'm still searching for that magic bullet for hunting that will penetrate, expand, and not deform when hitting ribs or shoulder blades.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I tried the corbon powR ball on big hog. I hit hog in shoulder blade, and it rolled him instantly, but seemed like he wasnt hurt. Now keep in mind I always "double tap" hogs so they dont suffer; well when I was cleaning him I seen what happened. The bullet penetrated about 4 inches, but looked like small grenade went off with pieces of shrapnel all in the shoulder. This round is really for someone who wonts pertection, but doesn't won't to kill their attacker. The super fast light bullets I find offer superior knock down power, but don't have enough mass to penetrate to the vital organs.

dryfly
11-30-2011, 05:51
Great thread....nice job Twisted !
The Buffalo Bore Montana Gold 180gr jhp didnt look that bad...
Any other comments regarding this bullet on hogs, trees,... ? Looks like good expansion and retention in the pict...???

Jitterbug
11-30-2011, 07:25
Nice post twisted, very informative, I hope you take Tater up on the 200 gr. Hard Cast, I'd really like to see what that would do on the shoulder of a big hog.

Taterhead
11-30-2011, 08:20
Nice post twisted, very informative, I hope you take Tater up on the 200 gr. Hard Cast, I'd really like to see what that would do on the shoulder of a big hog.

Yep. Going to try to get them packaged up and shipped out Friday. Does anyone know the rules about mailing ammo?

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-30-2011, 08:34
Twisted, anytime you need help hunting trees, you give me a call! I live in the land of tree huggers and would love to bag one or two. I promise they will go to friends and family, nothing wasted. A local farmer once paid me to come out with my G29sf and take care of some pesky walnut trees that were ruining his dirt field.

Seriously bro, nice thread. I like seeing ACTUAL "meat and potatoes" results from the different 10mm loads.

nickE10mm
11-30-2011, 08:34
Yep. Going to try to get them packaged up and shipped out Friday. Does anyone know the rules about mailing ammo?

I know that UPS will require that any live ammo ships via "GROUND" service and that it be kept in a box (that keeps each round separate and not loose in the bag/box).

No ammo through the USPS as far as I know.

Taterhead
11-30-2011, 09:10
I know that UPS will require that any live ammo ships via "GROUND" service and that it be kept in a box (that keeps each round separate and not loose in the bag/box).

No ammo through the USPS as far as I know.

Did some searching and it looks like you were are right. Some labeling and packaging requirements at UPS. Not permitted at USPS.

Taterhead
11-30-2011, 10:47
Tater, anytime you need help hunting trees, you give me a call! I live in the land of tree huggers and would love to bag one or two. I promise they will go to friends and family, nothing wasted. A local farmer once paid me to come out with my G29sf and take care of some pesky walnut trees that were ruining his dirt field.

Seriously bro, nice thread. I like seeing ACTUAL "meat and potatoes" results from the different 10mm loads.

Wish I could take credit, but this is twisted1's thread. I will be sending some ammo for him to try if I can work out the shipping logistics.

blastfact
11-30-2011, 18:05
Thanks for posting!

I use XTP's and they seem to always work and look like yours. Caliber and Load don't seem to effect them one way or the other.

twisted1
11-30-2011, 19:14
Thanks for posting!

I use XTP's and they seem to always work and look like yours. Caliber and Load don't seem to effect them one way or the other.

Yeah I've seen hydra shoks perform just as good as a hot loaded xtp. Engineers design certain rounds to perform at certain FPS. Don't know why people always want nuclear loaded 10mm rounds for self defence when 40 velocities are just as good. In the marines we shot standard vel ball ammo, and it worked perfectly fine. Bad guys where DRT

MarineHawk
11-30-2011, 19:35
Yeah I've seen hydra shoks perform just as good as a hot loaded xtp. Engineers design certain rounds to perform at certain FPS. Don't know why people always want nuclear loaded 10mm rounds for self defence when 40 velocities are just as good. In the marines we shot standard vel ball ammo, and it worked perfectly fine. Bad guys where DRT

Twisted, I just went deer/bear hunting today with my 10mm (and my .340 Wby). as you know, it's not all about shooting people.

I probably would not own a 10mm just for anti-personnel defense. Your awesome data shows what the 10mm can do to larger, tougher animals. Can you say if any failed to penetrate versus others? That would be useful. But any expanding 10mm will drop a person if the shot is true. Probably te same though for a .40 S&W. What I like about the 10mm is that it's like a .41 Mag with more rounds, faster repeatability, less weight, and less recoil -- for hunting or defending against 200+lb animals.

blastfact
11-30-2011, 21:14
twisted,,, thanks for your service!

The OP of this thread made a good unseen point by many in this thread. They have killed hog with 10mm and 125gn Muzzy. I too have taken hog, white tail, turkey, coon and other critters with old school Muzzy's. I have tracked and tried to ambush black bear and mountain lion in eastern ok and western ar. Never got the clean shot with a 125gn Muzzy on a full length arrow with my over drawn recurve or long bow.

I looked forward to deer hunting this season with my G20 or the M&P .45 if I could get a clear line on a new law a ranger was telling me about concerning the .45 acp if the OAL was right. Nothing like jumping a buck on his bed with the winds howling here in okiehoma or arkiesaw. Or playing brush or bottom land games with a doe like hunting rabbits. I'm all for pissing off the lazy tree hugging, stand hunters and using pistols, true primitive long guns or straight string bows. If not primitive pistols if legal.

If modern handgun and my loads are in my scope of use. Be it animal or human. XTP get's the nod. I can buy XTP bullet's damn near anywhere. I can load them any way I want and know what they are going to do and tune the load to what ever I want done within reason. I can count on them to feed if I make sure I meet spec's and get out of the tube. I don't want a bullet that open's up like a jelly fish in rip tide. I want a bullet that is going to expand and dump energy all the way through it's line of impact trajectory. And retain 90% or better of it's weight. Massive energy dump and pedals like Andy Warhol Art don't impress me one bit. :)

twisted1
11-30-2011, 21:33
Thanks y'all for the kind words. I try to take humane shots; always within 25 yards. I love the woods. It's a place to get away from all the chaos an headache of the world. I inherited 1100 acres of woods out here in Louisiana. I've killed couple nice size bucks too with bow, and rifle. I never killed one with my pistol though. I wanna try this year though!

I've got some hard cast and some gold dots comming end of the week/ next week from taterhead. I'm really excited to see the outcome of these hand loads!

MarineHawk
11-30-2011, 21:44
... I inherited 1100 acres of woods out here in Louisiana. ...

Will you consider legally adopting me?

Good luck on the deer.

You could write a good book about the penetration/expansion information you have measured.

Has any of the ammo consistently failed to penetrate on the pigs?

twisted1
11-30-2011, 23:17
10mm rounds that failed are:
(fail meaning poor expansion, penetration)
-corbon PowR ball
-Corbon dpx (when it hits bone)
-glaser safety slug (blue&silver)
-cci tmj
-federal hydra shok

When I shoot a hog from 10-25 yards in my text im looking for knockdown power. I like a round that stops the hog in its tracks. The rounds I name above didnt stop the hog, and I had to quickly double tap it with a xtp or silver tip to quickly kill the hog.

I have some reloading equiptment, calipers, and a scale comming in from cabelas. In the next up commig test I'm gonna do I'll be able to give you guys the weights, and measurements of the recovered bullets.

Next text "hunt" gonna involve 200 gr WFNGC hardcast, and 165 gr gold dots hand loaded by taterhead. I'm also gonna try get someone to hand loaded some ranger t's, and possibility some pdx1's.

21Carrier
12-01-2011, 01:43
10mm rounds that failed are:
(fail meaning poor expansion, penetration)
-corbon PowR ball
-Corbon dpx (when it hits bone)
-glaser safety slug (blue&silver)
-cci tmj
-federal hydra shok

When I shoot a hog from 10-25 yards in my text im looking for knockdown power. I like a round that stops the hog in its tracks. The rounds I name above didnt stop the hog, and I had to quickly double tap it with a xtp or silver tip to quickly kill the hog.

I have some reloading equiptment, calipers, and a scale comming in from cabelas. In the next up commig test I'm gonna do I'll be able to give you guys the weights, and measurements of the recovered bullets.

Next text "hunt" gonna involve 200 gr WFNGC hardcast, and 165 gr gold dots hand loaded by taterhead. I'm also gonna try get someone to hand loaded some ranger t's, and possibility some pdx1's.

Be careful with the Ranger T/PDX1s. They will not tolerate much beyond .40S&W velocity. I have tested them (as have a few others), and they seem to be one of the weakest .400" bullets out there. They are meant to rapidly expand at .40S&W velocity, so they really come apart at 10mm velocity. Once you get setup reloading, I'd like to see the 155/165gr Gold Dots and 155gr Silvertips. They have all performed really well in tests that I have done. I would expect the Gold Dots to work especially well. I'm looking forward to seeing more results!

Taterhead
12-02-2011, 20:49
Twisted1

I have these loads packaged up and ready to ship for tomorrow. Two each:

Left to right:

Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC Hard Cast @ 1205 fps
Hornady 180 XTP @ 1225 (not super fast but what I had onhand)
Speer 165 gr Gold Dot @ 1335
Speer 155 gr Gold Dot @ 1335
Hornady 155 XTP @ 1400

Had a few more things on hand, but these should be of interest. The 180s could be faster but are hotter than the factory ammo used. I think that the Gold Dots are in a pretty good speed for their construction. We'll see.

Quick note about shipping ammo:

No go with USPS.

UPS is ok with it if you go ground. You need to write, "Cartridges Small Arms" on the package. In addition, you need to draw a rectangle with large letters inside, "CRM-D" on the side of the case. If you want to ship air, you have to have some sort of a hazmat shipping agreement on file with UPS.

Sorry they didn't go out today, had quite a few priority deliverables at the office today - could not break away. I don't know how long shipping will take from Idaho to Louisiana.

twisted1
12-03-2011, 17:21
Thanks taterhead!
Dang piggies eating from my deer feeders
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/e3f7fe5c.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/sld225/4664773b.jpg
I'm waiting to put some gold dots an hard cast through their delicious meat!

Jitterbug
12-04-2011, 06:45
Twisted, you might want to consider opening a BBQ stand!