Colorado Depts, good, bad, and ugly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Depts, good, bad, and ugly

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 01:38
Just getting closer to graduation and thinking of applying with some local PD's. Would love to hear about some agencies in the Denver area, especially some of the bigger ones that put on their own recruit P.O.S.T. cert courses like Denver, Aurora, and Lakewood.

I'm new to the area, but I have heard Denver PD has had some fairly publicized scandals and has a bit of a bad rap around here. I would like to hear what you guys think is important to look for in a dept, especially what specific departments have more positives vs. negatives for a new, green cop with a goal of a long career in L.E. Also any leads on places looking to hire in the next year or so.

Thanks for what ya do every day, and for the input ahead of time.

Panzergrenadier1979
11-29-2011, 06:52
These days you can't be picky. Apply to every department that you are physically able to.

Your dream department is the one that hires you.

wprebeck
11-29-2011, 09:10
Just getting closer to graduation and thinking of applying with some local PD's. Would love to hear about some agencies in the Denver area, especially some of the bigger ones that put on their own recruit P.O.S.T. cert courses like Denver, Aurora, and Lakewood.

I'm new to the area, but I have heard Denver PD has had some fairly publicized scandals and has a bit of a bad rap around here. I would like to hear what you guys think is important to look for in a dept, especially what specific departments have more positives vs. negatives for a new, green cop with a goal of a long career in L.E. Also any leads on places looking to hire in the next year or so.

I'm not in Denver, but don't go there...

They're are getting the old LMPD chief from out here. There's a reason the department is around 80% staffed with folks <6 years on, and that the guys with 20+ retired, AND why so many officers lateraled to other agencies. Its not because of his stellar leadership and willingness to support his officers.

DaBigBR
11-29-2011, 11:32

Heard this from who? The media? The opinion that matters is the opinion of the people that work there. I value that even more than I value the opinion of the public. Why? Because I've never seen a place full of unhappy cops who were supported by their public. Morale ultimately effects services. For all I know it's the biggest dump of a department in the world, but you really should talk to some line grunts.

These days you can't be picky. Apply to every department that you are physically able to.

I have to pretty much agree with this anymore. The jobs just are not there and the applicant pools are much more qualified on paper than they have been in some time. That doesn't mean you can't get hired or you won't get hired, but it means you either can be picky and be very patient or expand your horizons and apply for the jobs that are out there.

Remember the worst thing they can do is offer you a job and make you decide whether or not to accept it.

The-Fly
11-29-2011, 11:55
I'm not a cop myself, but I would NOT want to work for DPD. The people of Denver hate police, the politicians down there WILL hang you out to dry, and the media will perform character assassination every chance they get.

If you do apply for DPD and get hired, try to lateral to another department out of the Denver metro area asap.

Kadetklapp
11-29-2011, 11:55
I cannot fathom trying to begin a career in law enforcement this day in age in any state.

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 15:35
I was basing it off what people around here had said, NOT from the media. That's the last place I would go for real info.

Heard this from who? The media? The opinion that matters is the opinion of the people that work there. I value that even more than I value the opinion of the public. Why? Because I've never seen a place full of unhappy cops who were supported by their public. Morale ultimately effects services. For all I know it's the biggest dump of a department in the world, but you really should talk to some line grunts.

I have to pretty much agree with this anymore. The jobs just are not there and the applicant pools are much more qualified on paper than they have been in some time. That doesn't mean you can't get hired or you won't get hired, but it means you either can be picky and be very patient or expand your horizons and apply for the jobs that are out there.

Remember the worst thing they can do is offer you a job and make you decide whether or not to accept it.

I think the local PD's are hiring more than the fed agencies right now. I thought it would be a good way to get experience.

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 15:36
I'm not in Denver, but don't go there...

They're are getting the old LMPD chief from out here. There's a reason the department is around 80% staffed with folks <6 years on, and that the guys with 20+ retired, AND why so many officers lateraled to other agencies. Its not because of his stellar leadership and willingness to support his officers.

How about Aurora, know anything about them?

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 15:40

Is it that tough out there? I am fairly confident in my testing abilities in logic and judgement, I will have a 4 year degree and am fluent in Spanish. Will keep working on fitness over the next year.

DaBigBR
11-29-2011, 15:59
Is it that tough out there? I am fairly confident in my testing abilities in logic and judgement, I will have a 4 year degree and am fluent in Spanish. Will keep working on fitness over the next year.

The problem is multifaceted.

The depressed economy has decreased hiring in all sectors. That drives highly "qualified" private sector people out on to the market and a lot of them are attracted to what is a relatively stable job with good benefits and a pension. That means that where five years ago being a guy with four year degree (even in CJ) was worth a lot, today it's the norm. Today you're competing against people with degrees in anything and everything and lots of people with advanced degrees.

Factor in the number of highly qualified, competent, skilled intelligent people that are military has churned out in ten years of war and the number of them that are interested in public service and the picture gets bleaker. The fact is that a lot of these folks have a lot more experience in critical stress and a lot more training in weapons and tactics (regardless of applicability to civilian LE) than most cops do. They also understand things like rank structure, chain of command, 24 hour watch, etc. In some states where a person can certify themselves, these people can get paid to go the academy using their military benefits.

Finally, consider that many agencies and/or geographical areas are pressured (or mandated) to place very strong consideration on candidates of a specific gender, ethnicity, etc. The fact is that women and minorities are under-represented in law enforcement compared to the general population. I'm not here to opine on the validity or ethics of hiring based on these factors, but the truth is that it happens. I'm a white, non-hispanic, male, so you can guess where I stand.

Does this mean it's hopeless? Nope. It means that you've got to be faster, stronger, smarter, better spoken, and better driven than your competition. That's always been the case. There are just more people applying for those jobs than there had been in the recent past. Above all else you need to be able to keep your head up and not be bitter about rejection, because statistically speaking, there will be rejection. I would bet that for every 100 people that test for a job at the average department, between two and five get hired. It's just reality.

Good luck!

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 16:13
That's kind of what I figured. I am a white boy, but the language skills will hopefully give me an edge. The dept. I will be applying for this spring is going to be hiring 15-20 new recruits and the rec. Officer told me they were anticipating 2000 applicants. The key will be to score high on the test, and then the language will give me extra preference points to bump even higher on the list.

Thanks for the input, any CO cops around to chime in?

[/B]The problem is multifaceted.

The depressed economy has decreased hiring in all sectors. That drives highly "qualified" private sector people out on to the market and a lot of them are attracted to what is a relatively stable job with good benefits and a pension. That means that where five years ago being a guy with four year degree (even in CJ) was worth a lot, today it's the norm. Today you're competing against people with degrees in anything and everything and lots of people with advanced degrees.

Factor in the number of highly qualified, competent, skilled intelligent people that are military has churned out in ten years of war and the number of them that are interested in public service and the picture gets bleaker. The fact is that a lot of these folks have a lot more experience in critical stress and a lot more training in weapons and tactics (regardless of applicability to civilian LE) than most cops do. They also understand things like rank structure, chain of command, 24 hour watch, etc. In some states where a person can certify themselves, these people can get paid to go the academy using their military benefits.

Finally, consider that many agencies and/or geographical areas are pressured (or mandated) to place very strong consideration on candidates of a specific gender, ethnicity, etc. The fact is that women and minorities are under-represented in law enforcement compared to the general population. I'm not here to opine on the validity or ethics of hiring based on these factors, but the truth is that it happens. I'm a white, non-hispanic, male, so you can guess where I stand.

Does this mean it's hopeless? Nope. It means that you've got to be faster, stronger, smarter, better spoken, and better driven than your competition. That's always been the case. There are just more people applying for those jobs than there had been in the recent past. Above all else you need to be able to keep your head up and not be bitter about rejection, because statistically speaking, there will be rejection. I would bet that for every 100 people that test for a job at the average department, between two and five get hired. It's just reality.

Good luck!

GioaJack
11-29-2011, 16:51
Lakewood PD, (in Jefferson County) was originally modeled after my old department, Dade County Public Safety Department, (Miami). They recruited the department hand hired a Lieutenant as their first Chief, (Director) and a Sergeant as the Assistant Director, or equivalent position. I know that several of our officers left Dade to take positions with Lakewood... a number of those returned to Dade after becoming bored.

They used to require a four-year degree back in the 70's and I would imagine they still do. I know a number of Lakewood officers, one of them lives across my pasture. (Apparently there is no requirement to live within the jurisdiction since we are almost 20 miles outside of it, (possibly he was grandfathered in but he doesn't have all that many years on the department, less than ten I believe).

Other than the normal gripes any officer is going to have with his or her department I really haven't heard anything that would scare someone away from applying.

I have no idea what the pay scale is but I'm sure it's much, much higher than the $12,000 a year I started with in Miami. :supergrin:

Jack

verdugo60
11-29-2011, 22:36
Thanks GioaJack, good info. Sounds like this might be a good one for when I have my degree finished and maybe even can try to lateral to from somewhere like Denver PD:wow:

I can see how having an Admin and citizenry that support you as an LEO could make a huge difference, and it sounds like this admin comes from the line troops so I would hope that they do.

Lakewood PD, (in Jefferson County) was originally modeled after my old department, Dade County Public Safety Department, (Miami). They recruited the department hand hired a Lieutenant as their first Chief, (Director) and a Sergeant as the Assistant Director, or equivalent position. I know that several of our officers left Dade to take positions with Lakewood... a number of those returned to Dade after becoming bored.

They used to require a four-year degree back in the 70's and I would imagine they still do. I know a number of Lakewood officers, one of them lives across my pasture. (Apparently there is no requirement to live within the jurisdiction since we are almost 20 miles outside of it, (possibly he was grandfathered in but he doesn't have all that many years on the department, less than ten I believe).

Other than the normal gripes any officer is going to have with his or her department I really haven't heard anything that would scare someone away from applying.

I have no idea what the pay scale is but I'm sure it's much, much higher than the $12,000 a year I started with in Miami. :supergrin:

Jack

faceplant
11-30-2011, 10:57
All Depts have issues of some sort. Denver's have been more public. With a new Chief and a new Mayor change is coming. But if they offer a job take it.

Apply with every place you can from Cheyenne down to Pueblo. Do some ride alongs with the Depts in the area. Do not wait to get your degree before applying.

Looks like Aurora is gonna have an academy in Nov 2012 and are accepting apps through April. Good Luck

AURORAGOV.ORG

IGotIt
11-30-2011, 11:28
One big thing you'll have over a lot of other applicants is fluency in the Spanish language. Unless Colo. is a must for you, look to the south, and east. Az, Tx., Fl.

cysoto
11-30-2011, 11:36
The vast majority of the "big" agencies in CO hire lateral transfers. Unless you have a JD or similar (and you know the right people inside the department), your chances of being hired by one of these are slim.

Your best bet is to pay for your own POST and go work for a small agency in the mountains. Do your time, earn your stripes, and then apply for a lateral transfer to a bigger agency. The only exception to this is CO State Patrol and even then you will probably start your career in in boonies before you can request a transfer to the Metro area.

Knute
11-30-2011, 19:27
I work up in the northern part of CO. Stay away from Denver PD. Obviously there are some very good officers there, but the reputation they have...they have earned. Look into Aurora, Lakewood, Jefferson County SO, and you can even drive a little north and work in Longmont.

PM me if you have some specific questions.

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 20:17
Thanks, sounds like increasing the odds by as many apps as possible will be a good idea.

[/B]All Depts have issues of some sort. Denver's have been more public. With a new Chief and a new Mayor change is coming. But if they offer a job take it.

Apply with every place you can from Cheyenne down to Pueblo. Do some ride alongs with the Depts in the area. Do not wait to get your degree before applying.

Looks like Aurora is gonna have an academy in Nov 2012 and are accepting apps through April. Good Luck

AURORAGOV.ORG

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 20:19
Yeah, I appreciate the positive feedback. My ultimate goal may be to get back to Idaho, specifically the Boise area. The ol' espanol will be used a lot there too.

[/B]One big thing you'll have over a lot of other applicants is fluency in the Spanish language. Unless Colo. is a must for you, look to the south, and east. Az, Tx., Fl.

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 20:27
Compared to tuition at many universities, self sponsoring P.O.S.T is not too bad @$6000. About a semester for me. That being said, if I can get an agency to hire without it and put me through their own academy that would be ideal.

As far as lateral transfers being picked over new recruits, that doesn't apply to the "new" recruit postings does it? I assumed some agencies were reserving some slots for newbs for their full academy. For example, Colorado Springs is hiring for recruits for their academy AND laterals right now. They state on website to apply for one, but not both.

[/B]The vast majority of the "big" agencies in CO hire lateral transfers. Unless you have a JD or similar (and you know the right people inside the department), your chances of being hired by one of these are slim.

Your best bet is to pay for your own POST and go work for a small agency in the mountains. Do your time, earn your stripes, and then apply for a lateral transfer to a bigger agency. The only exception to this is CO State Patrol and even then you will probably start your career in in boonies before you can request a transfer to the Metro area.

LippCJ7
11-30-2011, 20:45
If your interested in going home to Boise how about Rock Springs Wyoming? they are testing second week in January, http://www.rswy.net/egov/docs/1258127806868.htm May be a good opportunity for you to be in a similar environment as in Boise? Close to both Denver and Boise as well? I think nearly all departments try to get Laterals before rookies out of Academy, that just makes sense. Less training before they hit the road

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 20:49
Thanks Knute, it's great to get word from people with experience in the area I am looking at. I actually have worked a bit with the Firearms Trainer at Longmont at a SWAT conference. I was on the private side, but now I'm wanting to get in on the "doers" end of things. I may just take you up on that PM offer as I start applying. Thanks brother! :wavey:

I work up in the northern part of CO. Stay away from Denver PD. Obviously there are some very good officers there, but the reputation they have...they have earned. Look into Aurora, Lakewood, Jefferson County SO, and you can even drive a little north and work in Longmont.

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 20:56
Appreciate the tip man. Reason for Boise is having both the wife's and my family there, Denver is where the work and school are for the wife and me. Rock Springs IS in the middle(just drove through there last week coming back from Idaho in fact) but it is pretty desolate in that part of Wyoming, don't think the wife would like it there much. My thought process here is that even if I end up a few classes short before being hired, I can finish up with night classes at the school I am at. I'm done transferring credits, and am just 2.25 semesters away from being done with my bachelors. Eventually I may be at the point of taking an LE job almost anywhere, but I'm hoping with my schooling and language I will be able to be at least a little more picky!

If your interested in going home to Boise how about Rock Springs Wyoming? they are testing second week in January, http://www.rswy.net/egov/docs/1258127806868.htm May be a good opportunity for you to be in a similar environment as in Boise? Close to both Denver and Boise as well?

LippCJ7
11-30-2011, 21:09
Well the reason I ask is that apparently they are a little aggressive, I don't want to say desperate but I have been told they are recruiting pretty hard, it would be a good opportunity to get your clock going you know? even a year or two in Podunk PD looks good on a lateral transfer and is pretty common, Bailey and Fairplay PD, all the little PD's know full well that they have a hard time holding on to new recruits who are looking to get onto a bigger Department with better pay, Sometimes you just have to get that clock ticking and rack up experience if "who you know" doesn't pan out, I got lucky and had a bunch of friends go out for me to get in I start in January-February but to be completely honest anything can go wrong in the next 60 days so Stack the deck in your favor you know? Good Luck bud!

verdugo60
11-30-2011, 21:25
That's good to know man, maybe it would be worth it to at least apply. If anything, I can learn about the process and get more comfortable. Do you happen to know if they do their own academy? Good luck in your start soon buddy! :cool:

Well the reason I ask is that apparently they are a lifte aggressive, I don't want to say desperate but I have been told they are recruiting pretty hard, it would be a good opportunity to get your clock going you know? even a year or two in Podunk PD looks good on a lateral transfer and is pretty common, Bailey and Fairplay PD, all the little PD's know full well that they have a hard time holding on to new recruits who are looking to get onto a bigger Department with better pay, Sometimes you just have to get that clock ticking and rack up experience if "who you know" doesn't pan out, I got lucky and had a bunch of friends go out for me to get in I start in January-February but to be completely honest anything can go wrong in the next 60 days so Stack the deck in your favor you know? Good Luck bud!

LippCJ7
11-30-2011, 21:27
Check out the site it mentions the Wyoming POST academy in Douglas Wyoming, I was actually surprised (for a "Little" town) that it was a pretty good site with a lot of information on the process

CW Mock
11-30-2011, 21:35
In the Metro area I would say any of the departments other than Denver. Not hearing good things from Denver from their own guys, which hints at mucho unhappiness. Plus I think their slug mayor just hired a toadie from Louisville PD that was almost as universally hated as Adolf Hitler there.

Something else to keep in mind is that Colorado has turned into the California of the midwest, so unless you can stomach that stereotypical type of ultra-liberal retards most people plaster everywhere as "Californian", you might want to think long and hard about being a cop here. This state is nothing like it was 10-15 years ago, and as a conservative type person, I do not mean that in any kind of good way. If it doesn't bother you, than go for it!

That said, State is hiring too - but our pay and benefits are really starting to suck. We always seem to send a lot of people to the metro area out of every class too. Not sure about some of the other Academies, but ours is paramilitary, and pretty stressful at times. If being yelled at hurts your feelings, might pass on it.

My only advice would be to apply, apply, apply. The market is not the same as it was, and competition is stout from the loads of military guys, military guys with GI bill funded degrees, and college grads. Just knowing another language is not a huge advantage these days. Apply, apply, apply!

LippCJ7
11-30-2011, 21:38
Yeah thats a good Call CW, the guys I know in Denver are definitely looking at their options right now! I feel for them....

CanIhaveGasCash
12-01-2011, 03:23
I work in western Colorado and the small towns on the western slope always seem to be hiring. Like others have said, try the shotgun effect when trying to get a cop job. It is a very competitive job market and you can't afford to be picky. We had 150 applications for the last spot we had open. Most applications were garbage but about 15 were people with experience or advanced degrees, including a J.D.

Getting on with a department that will pay you to go through the academy around here is like winning the lottery.

puckhead
12-01-2011, 06:06
Finish your degree and put yourself through the academy. You will thank yourself lat. Most places aren't touching people unless have Post certs.

Knute
12-01-2011, 07:35
Thanks Knute, it's great to get word from people with experience in the area I am looking at. I actually have worked a bit with the Firearms Trainer at Longmont at a SWAT conference. I was on the private side, but now I'm wanting to get in on the "doers" end of things. I may just take you up on that PM offer as I start applying. Thanks brother! :wavey:

Hey if you are interested in going to Boise, I'm almost certain they put their new hires through POST. It's a good agency and they have great people. Always had a lot of respect for them (yes I am originally from there). Best thing I can tell you is to do some ride-a-longs with the agencies you are interested in so that you don't have to end up doing the department hop so that one day you can work for the department you are ultimately going to stay with long term.

Cochese
12-01-2011, 10:29
Lots of good info in this thread.

Denver is a great department in a dark time. It'll pass. That said, they are hard to hire on with, even now.

My recommendation is to go take the COPS test at DRCOG. That is how I got back to Colorado as a lateral.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cops&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drcog.org%2Fdocuments%2FCOPS%2520applicant%2520information%2520letter.PDF&ei=garXToSnMMzy2gXn3sywAw&usg=AFQjCNEuIYeQ9UM37q7wG100nGunNgOgRw&sig2=FUOw1alxCBvfUtSWlcC6Pw

COLOSHOOTR
12-02-2011, 03:55

Wow, Coming from a cop thats pretty harsh.... Denver earned the reputation??? Been sipping on much 9-News kool aid lately? I guess up north there your suspects are probably pretty coopertive and do not put up much of a fight when you arrest them. In the city we deal with the real turds of society. I have actually been shot at by a lil banger running from a burglary. I run into armed gang members who hate the Police all the time. Some of them put up fights and get their butts kicked for it. If you have a problem with inner city cops taking care of business and doing what needs to be done with some pretty hard core criminals I question if you have what it takes to get the job done when one of them makes their way up to you...

The bad media hype in Denver has been mostly been two cases repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again. So because of two real high profile cases the media won't let go the DPD earned the reputation? Most of the guys fired by Garcia will get their jobs back as he even admitted at a hearing for two of them he didn't review the entire case and made his decision from the public opinion and media hype, violating department policy for investigations.

Denver is a great department in a dark time. It'll pass. That said, they are hard to hire on with, even now.

It's not hard. it's down right impossible till atleast 2013.... Denver has the potential to be a great Department again and probably will be in a few years. Right now it's a pretty crappy place to work and morale is down in the toilet. After the hiring freeze if you do happen to get on early you'll move up fast because there should be a mass hiring to cover shortages.

Aurora is also in the same boat.... A lot of the DPD officers are former Aurora PD guys who jumped ship. The chief there is not really well liked and but he's not under the political pressure the DPD Command is under.

If you get your degree go Lakewood the pay is good and they don't seem to get much drama. Jeffco SO seems to be alright and I've only heard the typical gripes you'll here at any other Department. I think you have to spend time at the Jail there before you'll get on the road though. Getting your POST on your own will open up the smaller suburban departments like Northglenn, Thornton, Arvada or Commerce City as well.

There is nothing wrong with most the smaller agencies but remember any of the large Metro area Departments will have more places to go (Detective, SWAT ect; ) once hiring opens up again and some movement starts.

Sure bigger Depts. have political drama but you'll also see stuff small dept. guys couldn't even dream of. Pay is usually better at the big agencies too!

I'd apply all over the place though.... One opening will have hundreds of people going for it so the more places you put in for the better your chances. Also do ride alongs and talk with the troops that actually work there.

CW Mock had the best post on here so pay attention to that one.... It really is turning to commie-fornia here. The new DPD cheif appears to be a tool but hopefully will be a short term one. Afterall, he's old and will have to retire sometime soon!

If you need any info feel free to PM me. Being a metro area copper I know people who work in most the bigger departments so if I don't know the answer I can find out for ya.

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:30
I did check again with Boise the other day, they will not be hiring for the next year, possibly 2013. The issue is that Boise is a smaller community and my wife needs to get some experience in her career where there is work, which there is in Denver and isn't in Boise. So, I figured a few(or 5) years hear in the area and I could lateral over. We will see, I have some contacts back "home" with smaller PD's and it might end up being better working in the Boise AREA, if not BPD itself, even if it's starting at $17 an hour. $ goes a lot farther there than here in Denver! Time will tell, but you guys have given some great info and advice and I am grateful.

Hey if you are interested in going to Boise, I'm almost certain they put their new hires through POST. It's a good agency and they have great people. Always had a lot of respect for them (yes I am originally from there). Best thing I can tell you is to do some ride-a-longs with the agencies you are interested in so that you don't have to end up doing the department hop so that one day you can work for the department you are ultimately going to stay with long term.

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:34
I hear ya on the commie cali thing here man, it's pretty sad to see it spreading. What bothers me is that their dumbassery is considered to be so intelligent and enlightened. The irony is that it's people like these that are the biggest fans of anti-gun/class three police admin's until they get caught, um, I don't know...exchanging Meth for sex with boys? That's my new county. Rant off.

In the Metro area I would say any of the departments other than Denver. Not hearing good things from Denver from their own guys, which hints at mucho unhappiness. Plus I think their slug mayor just hired a toadie from Louisville PD that was almost as universally hated as Adolf Hitler there.

Something else to keep in mind is that Colorado has turned into the California of the midwest, so unless you can stomach that stereotypical type of ultra-liberal retards most people plaster everywhere as "Californian", you might want to think long and hard about being a cop here. This state is nothing like it was 10-15 years ago, and as a conservative type person, I do not mean that in any kind of good way. If it doesn't bother you, than go for it!

That said, State is hiring too - but our pay and benefits are really starting to suck. We always seem to send a lot of people to the metro area out of every class too. Not sure about some of the other Academies, but ours is paramilitary, and pretty stressful at times. If being yelled at hurts your feelings, might pass on it.

My only advice would be to apply, apply, apply. The market is not the same as it was, and competition is stout from the loads of military guys, military guys with GI bill funded degrees, and college grads. Just knowing another language is not a huge advantage these days. Apply, apply, apply!

Knute
12-02-2011, 22:36
[QUOTE=COLOSHOOTR;18232170]Wow, Coming from a cop thats pretty harsh.... Denver earned the reputation??? Been sipping on much 9-News kool aid lately? I guess up north there your suspects are probably pretty coopertive and do not put up much of a fight when you arrest them. In the city we deal with the real turds of society. I have actually been shot at by a lil banger running from a burglary. I run into armed gang members who hate the Police all the time. Some of them put up fights and get their butts kicked for it. If you have a problem with inner city cops taking care of business and doing what needs to be done with some pretty hard core criminals I question if you have what it takes to get the job done when one of them makes their way up to you...

QUOTE]

Wow. Those are some strong words. I guess the information I got directly from retired DPD officers, current officers who have worked at DPD, and stories from current DPD officers I've met while at trainings equates to media-fed stories. Oh, and before you got any further questioning my intentions or credentials about doing this job, know that I used to work at an inner-city agency before coming to Colorado. But please...go on about how the direct information I was given is incorrect or about how every place outside of the Denver-metro area is a walk in the park.

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:38
I appreciate the great info man, and the offer to answer specifics. You guys are classy dudes, even though you have disgusting humor that never fails to make me grin! I will be referencing this thread in the future, and maybe checking in with certain people for "inside" answers to questions. I will be applying for Aurora and Co. Springs in the next three months.

Wow, Coming from a cop thats pretty harsh.... Denver earned the reputation??? Been sipping on much 9-News kool aid lately? I guess up north there your suspects are probably pretty coopertive and do not put up much of a fight when you arrest them. In the city we deal with the real turds of society. I have actually been shot at by a lil banger running from a burglary. I run into armed gang members who hate the Police all the time. Some of them put up fights and get their butts kicked for it. If you have a problem with inner city cops taking care of business and doing what needs to be done with some pretty hard core criminals I question if you have what it takes to get the job done when one of them makes their way up to you...

The bad media hype in Denver has been mostly been two cases repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again. So because of two real high profile cases the media won't let go the DPD earned the reputation? Most of the guys fired by Garcia will get their jobs back as he even admitted at a hearing for two of them he didn't review the entire case and made his decision from the public opinion and media hype, violating department policy for investigations.

It's not hard. it's down right impossible till atleast 2013.... Denver has the potential to be a great Department again and probably will be in a few years. Right now it's a pretty crappy place to work and morale is down in the toilet. After the hiring freeze if you do happen to get on early you'll move up fast because there should be a mass hiring to cover shortages.

Aurora is also in the same boat.... A lot of the DPD officers are former Aurora PD guys who jumped ship. The chief there is not really well liked and but he's not under the political pressure the DPD Command is under.

If you get your degree go Lakewood the pay is good and they don't seem to get much drama. Jeffco SO seems to be alright and I've only heard the typical gripes you'll here at any other Department. I think you have to spend time at the Jail there before you'll get on the road though. Getting your POST on your own will open up the smaller suburban departments like Northglenn, Thornton, Arvada or Commerce City as well.

There is nothing wrong with most the smaller agencies but remember any of the large Metro area Departments will have more places to go (Detective, SWAT ect; ) once hiring opens up again and some movement starts.

Sure bigger Depts. have political drama but you'll also see stuff small dept. guys couldn't even dream of. Pay is usually better at the big agencies too!

I'd apply all over the place though.... One opening will have hundreds of people going for it so the more places you put in for the better your chances. Also do ride alongs and talk with the troops that actually work there.

CW Mock had the best post on here so pay attention to that one.... It really is turning to commie-fornia here. The new DPD cheif appears to be a tool but hopefully will be a short term one. Afterall, he's old and will have to retire sometime soon!

If you need any info feel free to PM me. Being a metro area copper I know people who work in most the bigger departments so if I don't know the answer I can find out for ya.

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:43
Knute, sounds to me like your info is credible and I appreciate you sharing your perspective on it.

Obviously the media can screw up a lot of things and usually it's the guys on the ground(officers in this case) that bear the brunt of their misinformation.

Sounds like Denver is a mixed bag right now. Dirty deeds that have happened, and then maybe some of them being blown out of proportion by stupid people. Bad combo. At the same time, maybe new blood would help change that.

[QUOTE=COLOSHOOTR;18232170]Wow, Coming from a cop thats pretty harsh.... Denver earned the reputation??? Been sipping on much 9-News kool aid lately? I guess up north there your suspects are probably pretty coopertive and do not put up much of a fight when you arrest them. In the city we deal with the real turds of society. I have actually been shot at by a lil banger running from a burglary. I run into armed gang members who hate the Police all the time. Some of them put up fights and get their butts kicked for it. If you have a problem with inner city cops taking care of business and doing what needs to be done with some pretty hard core criminals I question if you have what it takes to get the job done when one of them makes their way up to you...

QUOTE]

Wow. Those are some strong words. I guess the information I got directly from retired DPD officers, current officers who have worked at DPD, and stories from current DPD officers I've met while at trainings equates to media-fed stories. Oh, and before you got any further questioning my intentions or credentials about doing this job, know that I used to work at an inner-city agency before coming to Colorado. But please...go on about how the direct information I was given is incorrect or about how every place outside of the Denver-metro area is a walk in the park.

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:45
After finals I will be doing some ride-alongs in the Metro area, and during Christmas break I have a few already scheduled for back in Potato Land(Boise.) Should be awesome, looking forward to getting some time with the dudes that do it!

verdugo60
12-02-2011, 22:48
Didn't have a ton of time to read the link Cochese, but is this test only for POST certified guys? If not, it seems like a decent way to network with lots of depts, as long as you score well on that one particular test.

My recommendation is to go take the COPS test at DRCOG. That is how I got back to Colorado as a lateral.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cops&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drcog.org%2Fdocuments%2FCOPS%2520applicant%2520information%2520letter.PDF&ei=garXToSnMMzy2gXn3sywAw&usg=AFQjCNEuIYeQ9UM37q7wG100nGunNgOgRw&sig2=FUOw1alxCBvfUtSWlcC6Pw

COLOSHOOTR
12-03-2011, 04:33

Sorry if I got a little harsh... I get to hear DPD bashing all the time and usually ignore it anymore but when another cop comes out and says the bad rep is deserved it gets to me. I don't see why it's the way it is out here in CO. I work with a few guys that came over from Detroit, Chicago and from New York. They can not believe how we treat each other out here in Colorado. Out there it's a brotherhood and you give another cop the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise. Here it seems like it's everyone for themselves and they are quick to shun officers from another Department due to some bad media rap. For example, of my co-workers got stopped by Lakeside PD on his way in (well within our city limits by the time he actually made the stop) for going right at 10 over the limit. He get's lectured that he's just proof we deserve the reputation we get and that DPD's a bunch of cowboys. You don't get that in other areas like NY City.... A Cop no matter where from out there is your brother and will be treated as such. Here unless he or she is from your Department it's kind of out of sight out of mind. I'm not saying that we don't have any PC here just that nobody seems to care how other cops are getting screwed unless it directly impacts them as individuals.

You've met DPD Officers at training lately????? News to me since they don't like to approve training time right now unless it'd DPD manditory training hosted at one of our facilities. On the other hand I'm doing training on my own time and on my own dime next week so it's still very possible.... Still, I've yet to hear any of the 1400 guys I work with, other then incoming Cheif White, say the Denver reputation is deserved. Have we had a few bad apples that deserved the boot. Yes, every Department gets a complete tool from time to time and they need to be axed. On the other hand were several of the firings complete BS. Yes again! Saying the DPD reputation is deserved is like saying CSP or APD deserve to be seen as a bunch of old washed up cops that like to drink and drive while working. Somthing I think we all know is not true.... Just a few bad apples that make all of us look like crap.
I actually mentioned your comment in roll call today and everyone in the room said it was F-ing BS and they were kinda ticked about how we're being viewed by another cop. So none of your "direct sources" must have come from my District.

If your sources told you the Department sucks right now or that we don't trust our administration I'd totally buy it. If they told you our Mayor and our Command are out head hunting so nobody trusts them and won't risk their tails to do anything anymore I'd say yep you heard right. If some guy told you that we deserved to be seen as a bunch of thugs I wonder who the heck would say that and am curious if it's true I'm sure there were stars or bars on his uniform because only a company man that has something to gain playing the politics would say that. I'll tell you right now, DIRECTLY from someone who pushes one of those white cars around the city, the reputation is not deserved. I have personally NEVER seen any of the guys I work with go off the edge and have a UOF that was totally uncalled for.

Just to clear things up I don't think any of the small town Cops have it as, "a walk in the park." In fact, Officers, Troopers and Sheriffs that work out in the sticks have my upmost respect. I may have armed gang members around every corner but I have help in less than 1 minute when I need it. Rural guys may have to wait a half hour to get cover.... That takes some brass balls!

Cochese
12-03-2011, 09:43
Didn't have a ton of time to read the link Cochese, but is this test only for POST certified guys? If not, it seems like a decent way to network with lots of depts, as long as you score well on that one particular test.

It wasn't a requirement when I took it.

It was optional to be listed as certified if you included a post cert.

Call DRCOG and see if it still is offered.

Cochese
12-03-2011, 10:04
I know Knute personally and consider him a friend. In fact, we challenged POST together back in 2006. I can tell you if he is basing what he said on his experiences, he is telling the truth. Question his source, but not Knute. Just saying.

That said, I worked DIRECTLY with Denver district three officers daily for several years. I never saw anything that led me to believe any of the officers were anything but consumate professionals. I was in several UOF with those guys and some hairy calls. Never a problem. Ever.

Sorry if I got a little harsh... I get to hear DPD bashing all the time and usually ignore it anymore but when another cop comes out and says the bad rep is deserved it gets to me. I don't see why it's the way it is out here in CO. I work with a few guys that came over from Detroit, Chicago and from New York. They can not believe how we treat each other out here in Colorado. Out there it's a brotherhood and you give another cop the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise. Here it seems like it's everyone for themselves and they are quick to shun officers from another Department due to some bad media rap. For example, of my co-workers got stopped by Lakeside PD on his way in (well within our city limits by the time he actually made the stop) for going right at 10 over the limit. He get's lectured that he's just proof we deserve the reputation we get and that DPD's a bunch of cowboys. You don't get that in other areas like NY City.... A Cop no matter where from out there is your brother and will be treated as such. Here unless he or she is from your Department it's kind of out of sight out of mind. I'm not saying that we don't have any PC here just that nobody seems to care how other cops are getting screwed unless it directly impacts them as individuals.

You've met DPD Officers at training lately????? News to me since they don't like to approve training time right now unless it'd DPD manditory training hosted at one of our facilities. On the other hand I'm doing training on my own time and on my own dime next week so it's still very possible.... Still, I've yet to hear any of the 1400 guys I work with, other then incoming Cheif White, say the Denver reputation is deserved. Have we had a few bad apples that deserved the boot. Yes, every Department gets a complete tool from time to time and they need to be axed. On the other hand were several of the firings complete BS. Yes again! Saying the DPD reputation is deserved is like saying CSP or APD deserve to be seen as a bunch of old washed up cops that like to drink and drive while working. Somthing I think we all know is not true.... Just a few bad apples that make all of us look like crap.
I actually mentioned your comment in roll call today and everyone in the room said it was F-ing BS and they were kinda ticked about how we're being viewed by another cop. So none of your "direct sources" must have come from my District.

If your sources told you the Department sucks right now or that we don't trust our administration I'd totally buy it. If they told you our Mayor and our Command are out head hunting so nobody trusts them and won't risk their tails to do anything anymore I'd say yep you heard right. If some guy told you that we deserved to be seen as a bunch of thugs I wonder who the heck would say that and am curious if it's true I'm sure there were stars or bars on his uniform because only a company man that has something to gain playing the politics would say that. I'll tell you right now, DIRECTLY from someone who pushes one of those white cars around the city, the reputation is not deserved. I have personally NEVER seen any of the guys I work with go off the edge and have a UOF that was totally uncalled for.

Just to clear things up I don't think any of the small town Cops have it as, "a walk in the park." In fact, Officers, Troopers and Sheriffs that work out in the sticks have my upmost respect. I may have armed gang members around every corner but I have help in less than 1 minute when I need it. Rural guys may have to wait a half hour to get cover.... That takes some brass balls!

DustyJacket
12-03-2011, 10:38
Wow. Sad to hear how things are going in DPD. DPD was my second, and last, department. (Third if you count Army MPs)

I joined around the time Pena became mayor, and a lot of the old guard started leaving. Things began changing, for the better. The good ole boy club was partially disbanded.

Life was pretty good. Had a guy that (deservedly) got fired, but the Civil Service Commission made them re-hire him and he got in trouble again. That happened a few times. Kind of emasculated the Chief, though.

But that was the exception - not the rule. I left in 1990 after getting married and began to transition into a 100% civilian (not quite there).

DPD had a rep for killing people (before I joined) with flashlights, but it was one of hose things where something happened once and got repeated a LOT. After I joined there were a number of justified shoots where the media twisted a lot of things out of true.

Face it, DPD has a lot of big city social problems to handle, where most citizens either don't like the police (Districts 1 and 2) or think they are way above the police (District 3). Sometimes those social problems blossom into violence, and the media has a great day.

I am biased toward District 4, but had worked in all 4 districts. (Now I think they have 6 or so....) I even did foot patrol in five points. Once. :)

I would think that if you can play by the ever changing rules, DPD could be a great experience. However, I am 21 years out of touch, so take that with a grain of salt.

verdugo60
12-03-2011, 10:57
Just checked out their actual website and there wasn't even mention of the COPS test. I wonder if they are even doing it still?

It wasn't a requirement when I took it.

It was optional to be listed as certified if you included a post cert.

Call DRCOG and see if it still is offered.

Mrs. Cochese
12-03-2011, 11:30
I have worked at a couple different agencies. A little word of advice...you will find the same political crap and personality disorders wherever you go, so stay out of the drama.
Try and find a department that is big enough for you to grow in but that isn't so small that it will take you 10 years to get the shift you want.

I hear a lot of people commenting about Denver. My father and stepmother retired from there after 32 years and overall I think its an ok department. Admin comes and goes....remember that!!

I don't remember if you stated that you had a degree....but I would definitely complete that. I hear about more and more agencies wanting degrees....although I don't think it necessarily makes you a better officer....get the degree though..it can't hurt!!

Overall...when you get hired, find your area of interest and go with it. Go to all of the training that your agency will send you to because the reality is that it's about you and the family and you need to make yourself marketable...everyone is looking to make more money these days.

Cochese
12-03-2011, 11:32
Look what the cat dragged in.

:rofl:

Vigilant
12-03-2011, 11:37
^^^ She has guns. She is right. :thumbsup:

verdugo60
12-03-2011, 13:07
Ha, does that make me the cat? :super grin:

I am working on the degree, 2 semesters left! Plan is to apply shotgun style around the Metro area, especially with agencies that are doing their own academies or at least pay for POST. If I'm not hired by graduation in December of next year from college, I will look at self sponsoring POST and maybe working for Lakewood(who requires a 4 year degree) or some other smaller towns in the area.

I'm hoping with college, a good test score and preference points for language I will get in the top bracket with Aurora, who has size enough for SWAT and Detective slots, AND is hiring now for new recruits.

5 year plan is to get back to Idaho where family is after some of wife's student loans are paid down here. BPD pays decent and has a good tactical team there, as does Ada County Sheriffs.
Look what the cat dragged in.

:rofl:

articulate
12-03-2011, 14:04
I'll finally chime in, although I've been deliberately avoiding this thread because I get so sick of having to constantly defend Denver PD to people. Similar to what COLOSHOOTR was saying, Denver is a large city and therefore suffers from the same problems as other large cities. This refers to both a high crime rate, and a large over-bureaucratized mismanaged police department. This is the same in any large city, anywhere in the US, so don't falsely believe that Denver is a unique "problem child." Denver does, however, suffer from some exceptionally incompetent upper-level management that is so stubbornly blind to it's own stupidity that any attempt at change is rendered moot. We are in the awkward situation right now of actually going through a regime change, with a new chief being sworn-in in two weeks and the inevitable (and long overdue) upper-level management reshuffling that will follow anytime a new king takes charge. (Our outgoing chief was in the position for over a decade, which was the longest tenure in dept history if I remember correctly. Nice enough guy personally, but bliiiiiiiiiiiiind as a bat when it came to running a P.D. To say he was "detached" from the reality of the department would be an understatement. Basically, during his decade-long watch, numerous obvious problems went unfixed and ended up festering into bigger systemic problems, despite how loudly the troops protest.)

Now, we (by "we", I mean "the moronic self-serving cabal that run the city") have voluntarily imported Louisville KY's persona non grata to take the reigns as our new chief, and I expect nothing good to come of it. I anticipate that he will be nothing more than an empty suit yes-man for the mayor, which actually isn't all that serious of a problem. The new mayor, in my opinion, is a genuinely nice guy, who does not hate the police department with every fiber of his being like the previous dildo, Hickenlooper. From everything I have seen and heard about the new mayor, Hancock, he actually does want to effect some positive change. So if the new chief is gonna be nothing more than a yes-man for the mayor, then so be it, because I personally think the mayor has good intentions. This does not, however, change the fact that the vast majority of lingering systemic problems will continue to go unaddressed. The only thing I can really hope for is a complete clean-sweep of upper level managers.

I'm going off on a tangent from the original thread. In regards to actually working for Denver, we haven't hired a single body since 2008 due to budget constraints, and rumor has it we won't hire another class until 2013. I personally believe it won't even happen until a few more years after that, so in terms of current employment prospects, Denver is a no-go. In the mean time, we will continue to remain dangerously understaffed, while citizens suffer from extended response times and some extremely burned-out responding officers. I have watched numerous times as priority one calls (robberies, shootings, injury accidents, etc) remain "in the queue" as there are no officers available to dispatch. Meanwhile, if a citizen has a cold property crime to report, they might as well bundle up and put on a good movie, because "we'll get there when we get there." And what has the city done in regards to improving police response times? Well, they have fallen in love with the new photo radar & photo red light technology, and have saturated the city with their little revenue devices. And now, anytime a police unit is caught by the device, they open a formal IA case on the officer. And no, "I was going to that hot call" is NOT a valid excuse! So when you're driving through Denver and you see one of Denver's Finest putzing down the street like a blue-hair who can't see over the steering wheel, don't be surprised.

Now that my mini-rant is over, let me address the root of Denver's reputation problem: the media. **** the media in this city. Just thinking of the bull**** the news outlets get away with here makes my blood boil. They blatantly lie, they sensationalize, and they have a vendetta against the department. We are literally their punching bag, and not once has the admin or the city ever put someone out in front of a camera to say "This is crap, and we're not going to let you walk all over us anymore." The media makes us all out to be a bunch of incompetent thugs, that go around yanking citizens off of sidewalks and bludgeoning them to near death (oh, and that's not an embellishment. That is LITERALLY what they have reported on numerous occasions.) Facts be damned, the media has never once encountered a citizen complaint that didn't warrant full coverage within the first 5 minutes of the nightly newscasts. They WALK ALL OVER US, and the dept has never done ANYTHING to defend itself. This is one of the systemic problems that I mentioned earlier, where the media long-ago realized that they can mother**** us all day long without the slightest hint of resistance. And we can't stop the negative publicity now, because it has become too engrained in our media culture and we did nothing to nip it when we actually had the chance. Unfortunately, this constant media-fueled persecution of the Denver police has completely destroyed community relations as well as police effectiveness. Sometimes I feel like we are in the very early stages of Chicago-style policing, where hordes of violent thugs will literally laugh at the police as they drive by, knowing that we can do nothing about it.

On the bright side, our pay is good, benefits are decent, there are a bunch of awesome street-level cops (and some decent front-line supervisors), we have plenty of crime to fight, we have a great authorized weapons list (if you're a gun guy, you will appreciate the options), there is lots of overtime availability, we work 4/10s, and arguably good job security. Also, one thing that no one else seems to mention is that our D.A. is very pro-law enforcement and doesn't fall for the media's bull**** when making charging decisions. We seem to have been lucky with having a string of competent head D.A.s that understand our job and can separate fiction from reality. This is a very comforting fact, since the D.A. is the person who actually makes charging decisions regarding officer-involved shootings and excessive force complaints, etc. Our current D.A. is a heckuva nice guy, is competent at his job, and even takes some subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at the media and administration in his decision letters. I feel perfectly comfortable knowing that any actions I take that might result in legal scrutiny will be evaluated by him, instead of some ignorant boob with an axe to grind.

Cochese
12-03-2011, 17:45
Just checked out their actual website and there wasn't even mention of the COPS test. I wonder if they are even doing it still?

Give em a call.

Ha, does that make me the cat? :supergrin:

I am working on the degree, 2 semesters left! Plan is to apply shotgun style around the Metro area, especially with agencies that are doing their own academies or at least pay for POST. If I'm not hired by graduation in December of next year from college, I will look at self sponsoring POST and maybe working for Lakewood(who requires a 4 year degree) or some other smaller towns in the area.

I'm hoping with college, a good test score and preference points for language I will get in the top bracket with Aurora, who has size enough for SWAT and Detective slots, AND is hiring now for new recruits.

5 year plan is to get back to Idaho where family is after some of wife's student loans are paid down here. BPD pays decent and has a good tactical team there, as does Ada County Sheriffs.

The cat is my wife.

Sounds like a good plan though.

I'll finally chime in, although I've been deliberately avoiding this thread because I get so sick of having to constantly defend Denver PD to people. Similar to what COLOSHOOTR was saying, Denver is a large city and therefore suffers from the same problems as other large cities. This refers to both a high crime rate, and a large over-bureaucratized mismanaged police department. This is the same in any large city, anywhere in the US, so don't falsely believe that Denver is a unique "problem child." Denver does, however, suffer from some exceptionally incompetent upper-level management that is so stubbornly blind to it's own stupidity that any attempt at change is rendered moot. We are in the awkward situation right now of actually going through a regime change, with a new chief being sworn-in in two weeks and the inevitable (and long overdue) upper-level management reshuffling that will follow anytime a new king takes charge. (Our outgoing chief was in the position for over a decade, which was the longest tenure in dept history if I remember correctly. Nice enough guy personally, but bliiiiiiiiiiiiind as a bat when it came to running a P.D. To say he was "detached" from the reality of the department would be an understatement. Basically, during his decade-long watch, numerous obvious problems went unfixed and ended up festering into bigger systemic problems, despite how loudly the troops protest.)

Now, we (by "we", I mean "the moronic self-serving cabal that run the city") have voluntarily imported Louisville KY's persona non grata to take the reigns as our new chief, and I expect nothing good to come of it. I anticipate that he will be nothing more than an empty suit yes-man for the mayor, which actually isn't all that serious of a problem. The new mayor, in my opinion, is a genuinely nice guy, who does not hate the police department with every fiber of his being like the previous dildo, Hickenlooper. From everything I have seen and heard about the new mayor, Hancock, he actually does want to effect some positive change. So if the new chief is gonna be nothing more than a yes-man for the mayor, then so be it, because I personally think the mayor has good intentions. This does not, however, change the fact that the vast majority of lingering systemic problems will continue to go unaddressed. The only thing I can really hope for is a complete clean-sweep of upper level managers.

I'm going off on a tangent from the original thread. In regards to actually working for Denver, we haven't hired a single body since 2008 due to budget constraints, and rumor has it we won't hire another class until 2013. I personally believe it won't even happen until a few more years after that, so in terms of current employment prospects, Denver is a no-go. In the mean time, we will continue to remain dangerously understaffed, while citizens suffer from extended response times and some extremely burned-out responding officers. I have watched numerous times as priority one calls (robberies, shootings, injury accidents, etc) remain "in the queue" as there are no officers available to dispatch. Meanwhile, if a citizen has a cold property crime to report, they might as well bundle up and put on a good movie, because "we'll get there when we get there." And what has the city done in regards to improving police response times? Well, they have fallen in love with the new photo radar & photo red light technology, and have saturated the city with their little revenue devices. And now, anytime a police unit is caught by the device, they open a formal IA case on the officer. And no, "I was going to that hot call" is NOT a valid excuse! So when you're driving through Denver and you see one of Denver's Finest putzing down the street like a blue-hair who can't see over the steering wheel, don't be surprised.

Now that my mini-rant is over, let me address the root of Denver's reputation problem: the media. **** the media in this city. Just thinking of the bull**** the news outlets get away with here makes my blood boil. They blatantly lie, they sensationalize, and they have a vendetta against the department. We are literally their punching bag, and not once has the admin or the city ever put someone out in front of a camera to say "This is crap, and we're not going to let you walk all over us anymore." The media makes us all out to be a bunch of incompetent thugs, that go around yanking citizens off of sidewalks and bludgeoning them to near death (oh, and that's not an embellishment. That is LITERALLY what they have reported on numerous occasions.) Facts be damned, the media has never once encountered a citizen complaint that didn't warrant full coverage within the first 5 minutes of the nightly newscasts. They WALK ALL OVER US, and the dept has never done ANYTHING to defend itself. This is one of the systemic problems that I mentioned earlier, where the media long-ago realized that they can mother**** us all day long without the slightest hint of resistance. And we can't stop the negative publicity now, because it has become too engrained in our media culture and we did nothing to nip it when we actually had the chance. Unfortunately, this constant media-fueled persecution of the Denver police has completely destroyed community relations as well as police effectiveness. Sometimes I feel like we are in the very early stages of Chicago-style policing, where hordes of violent thugs will literally laugh at the police as they drive by, knowing that we can do nothing about it.

On the bright side, our pay is good, benefits are decent, there are a bunch of awesome street-level cops (and some decent front-line supervisors), we have plenty of crime to fight, we have a great authorized weapons list (if you're a gun guy, you will appreciate the options), there is lots of overtime availability, we work 4/10s, and arguably good job security. Also, one thing that no one else seems to mention is that our D.A. is very pro-law enforcement and doesn't fall for the media's bull**** when making charging decisions. We seem to have been lucky with having a string of competent head D.A.s that understand our job and can separate fiction from reality. This is a very comforting fact, since the D.A. is the person who actually makes charging decisions regarding officer-involved shootings and excessive force complaints, etc. Our current D.A. is a heckuva nice guy, is competent at his job, and even takes some subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at the media and administration in his decision letters. I feel perfectly comfortable knowing that any actions I take that might result in legal scrutiny will be evaluated by him, instead of some ignorant boob with an axe to grind.

What an excellent post.

COLOSHOOTR
12-03-2011, 18:52
What an excellent post.

I second that..... Everything he said is right on the money!

verdugo60
12-03-2011, 20:21
Articulate, your handle is well given. Thank you for your great post.

Cochese, I guessed that was your wife, I meant no disrespect just thought it was funny the way you said it!

Ya'll are great, thanks for all the awesome info. I got better than I hoped for.

Cochese
12-03-2011, 21:15
No disrespect perceived.

Hope it helps. :cheers: