Update to my feeing issue with Underwood Ammo 180 gr FMJ's... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Update to my feeing issue with Underwood Ammo 180 gr FMJ's...

arushus
11-29-2011, 10:16
Some of you may have read in another thread I started that I was having feed issues with underwood's 180gr fmj's not only in my lwd barrel, but also in my stock glock barrel, which really surprised me because I've never had one failure of any kind with my stock barrel. And this wasn't just one or two, in the first mag I had probably four to five failures to feed, 2 stovepipes, and one failure to extract, the next mag I had four or five failures to feed, and on the third mag, I finally decided to make sure the rounds were seated properly by rapping the mag against my hand. I had zero issues with the rounds from this mag. I wasn't really blaming the ammo, I was just really confused because I hadnt had this kind of issue before at all using my stock barrel. If youre interested I wil include a link to the other thread where I lay all this out in more detail.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382089

Well I get a message from Kevin at Underwood Ammo about a week ago, and he wants me to call or email him as soon as the holiday is over to address the issue. This just goes to show how customer oriented this company is!
So I just got off the phone with Kevin, we had a good talk, and he is a very nice, respectful guy. He just wanted to make sure I was satisfied and asked a few questions regarding the ammo and the situation involving the failures I had. I'm very impressed! Let me just say that even if I had had problems that were far more severe and it was blatantly obvious it was the ammo, I would still be a life long customer of underwood ammo, just because he took the time to make sure I was satisfied! And after it was all over, and I had made it clear I didn't blame the ammo, he still offered me 5% off my next order with underwood ammo! How cool is that!?!?
Thanks again kevin!

_The_Shadow
11-29-2011, 10:39
Tapping the mag to fully set rounds to the rear of the magazine really does help the situation.

Ammo with higher impulse may need slide timing with the use of recoil springs...however some spring may not work to solve the issues or may actuall add to the issues. I have read the Glock 20 in particular, have had the recoil springs (round springs, as opposed flat springs) bunch up and add drag at the rear of the slides movement. I don't know if this is for sure! It is something to look at, it might show looking between the slide and frame.

arushus
11-29-2011, 10:45
Ive got a 22lb ISMI recoil spring installed. I dont know exactly what the difference is, but I do believe ISMI springs are flat springs...

cablecutter
11-29-2011, 10:51
Sounds like underwood is the real deal! They have my business!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kjunderwood
11-29-2011, 12:08
Thanks again kevin!

My pleasure.
If you, or anyone else, experiences any issue - I sincerely want to be made aware of it.

ColGlocker
11-29-2011, 13:01
I must also praise Underwood ammo for their customer service. The ammo I had ordered was not behaving as I expected. Without hesitation, Kevin asked me to ship back the balance of the ammo and sent a new shipment out to me. He did not even wait to receive my ammo first. Great Service!!!

Looking forward to placing future orders with him.

dryfly
11-29-2011, 13:16
Geat news here, great news indeed!...Congrats and Kudos to Mr Underwood...I too will be placing orders...definitely 200gr xtp... and hopefully 200gr hard-cast if and when they are developed.

arushus
11-29-2011, 22:28
I must also praise Underwood ammo for their customer service. The ammo I had ordered was not behaving as I expected. Without hesitation, Kevin asked me to ship back the balance of the ammo and sent a new shipment out to me. He did not even wait to receive my ammo first. Great Service!!!

How exactly did it not behave as expected?

4949shooter
11-30-2011, 05:51
Kevin, if you don't mind me asking, have you test fired your 200 grain XTP load in a stock Glock barrel?

If so, I am curious as to how the fired cases looked..

kjunderwood
11-30-2011, 16:07
Kevin, if you don't mind me asking, have you test fired your 200 grain XTP load in a stock Glock barrel?

If so, I am curious as to how the fired cases looked..

I have.
They looked perfectly fine to me. No bulges, smiles, etc.

4949shooter
11-30-2011, 16:33
I have.
They looked perfectly fine to me. No bulges, smiles, etc.

Thank you Kevin.

ModGlock17
12-01-2011, 22:05
Arushus, your mail box is full. $100

arushus
12-01-2011, 22:29
Arushus, your mail box is full. $100

ya thanks! I just emptied it!

Jitterbug
12-02-2011, 08:28
When messing with recoil springs, mag springs need to be up to speed too, literally. Not so sure on the Glocks, but if it where me, I'd label the magazines somehow and see if it was one particular mag giving me trouble.

Most semi-auto feeding issues are mag related.

rcd567
12-09-2011, 19:06

I found that true too. At his prices I expected some watered down pipsqueek type load. When I touched the first one off, I was like daygum, now that's a true 10mm loading. Really wasn't expecting that. I like the heck out of it, just wasn't expecting that.:supergrin:

SolidBrass
12-09-2011, 19:47
This "tapping" thing seems a bit more important in the 10mm than the .45. Seems like glock designed it for the .45acp and adapted it for the 10. It's my impression at least.

arushus
12-09-2011, 22:30
I rattled off thirty more of the fmj's a couple days ago...all ran perfect! Had a failure to feed every other round, but that was due to me using a lwd barrel this time, so it wasnt the ammo's fault at all. Good thing is, no bulging that is noticeable to the naked eye, and not even a hint of a smile...

I shot my 10mm after shooting my grandpa's old 22 rifle that I inherited since he passed a week or so ago...man, that thing felt like a cannon after shooting the 22!!! Id forgotten how much Ienjoyed plinking with a 22 rifle. I also got his 22 revolver, but it was so rusted, at least the outside of the barel was anyway, I knew there was no way I could clean it up myself, plus, I wanted it to have a good once-over from a professional so I dropped it off at my gunsmith buddy...said he'd have it done in a week, and I cant wait to shoot it.