Changing to a Single Rail gas block [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing to a Single Rail gas block

wdphillips
11-29-2011, 12:15
I recently acquired a DPMS sweet 16 upper with a stainless bull barrel in .223. From the factory this is set up for a scope. I would like to change out the .936 smooth factory gas block with a single Picatinny rail gas block.

My goal is to add a Magpul MBUS front and rear sight on the Picatinny rail system. This will give me time to use the upper while I find the right optic system.

Any suggestions/experience on the single rail gas block?

MrMurphy
11-29-2011, 15:20
The MBUS is not rated for a gas block rail, it's plastic and the heat coming off it will cause unpleasant things to happen. It's meant for free-float rail systems.

I've never seen any gas block (railed) which actually was the right height.....they're ALL different. Finding a front that will work for you can be interesting. Get a lowpro gas block, a proper-length rail like a Troy or DD Omega, install MBUS, shoot.

WoodenPlank
11-29-2011, 15:47
The MBUS is not rated for a gas block rail, it's plastic and the heat coming off it will cause unpleasant things to happen. It's meant for free-float rail systems.

I've never seen any gas block (railed) which actually was the right height.....they're ALL different. Finding a front that will work for you can be interesting. Get a lowpro gas block, a proper-length rail like a Troy or DD Omega, install MBUS, shoot.

I know someone out there makes a proper-height railed gas block, I just cannot remember for the life of me who it was. I have seen them on finished custom guns, just not sure who made the block.

Otherwise, OP, Murph is right about using MBUS on a railed gas block. If your "smooth" gas block isn't low enough to go under a rail, swap for one that is and get a rail system. If you don't want side rails and such (or only need minimal ones) the VTAC rail from Troy is a steal for ~$200, depending on the length you want/need.

faawrenchbndr
11-29-2011, 16:47
I do believe this JP Enterprises piece may work

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-3

wdphillips
11-29-2011, 17:22
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cvIcYfdEV-w/TtfLBYLl6iI/AAAAAAAA3cQ/Ej9ir3lZ6vE/s640/2011-11-29%25252015-38-59.984.jpg

MrMurphy...

Are you suggesting that I replace the "Free Float Tube" with a longer rail system?

BTW this is the Koelbl Single Rail Gas Block (.936 Diameter) that DPMS has suggested.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1364

WoodenPlank
11-29-2011, 17:24
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/euz6AfKuNsvuXGIT7wl7l4vnyMxHNAljDLzdDTjwvx4h04RtOOh1_obyTd00y6ydT76qIMoKaSFFeK3K-lmr4G4ywz7ELM14D54=w1024

MrMurphy...

Are you suggesting that I replace the "Free Float Tube" with a longer rail system?

I believe that's exactly what he is suggesting. A longer free-float tube with built in rail that covers the existing gas block and gives you a mounting point for your front sight.

ScrappyDoo
11-29-2011, 17:44
Just curious. I've read countless ppl say that the Magpul MBUS won't hold up on the gas block , it'll melt etc not to use it.

I also read a very well written blurb once that its simply a disclaimer from Magpul so they are proactively announcing they won't replace the front site IM THE EVENT it was damaged but it actually hasn't / doesn't happen or is in fact increidbly rare.

So I am wondering - does anyone actually have proof it won't hold up or is this just an often repeated claim? As I said the thing I read made excellent sense and was not a high school air softer type of article , it was really well written and mde a lot of sense. And also it made me think, some of those iron sights from big names are $300 for front flip BUIS. it would actually take a couple-a-few front MBUS's purchased before I reached the level on one of those expensive ones.

And I don't mean to call you out Mr Murph or anyone else like you're wrong I am honestyly just real curious if anyone actually has melted their front MBUS o. The gas block or if it's just a theory claim etc

WoodenPlank
11-29-2011, 17:50
Just curious. I've read countless ppl say that the Magpul MBUS won't hold up on the gas block , it'll melt etc not to use it.

I also read a very well written blurb once that its simply a disclaimer from Magpul so they are proactively announcing they won't replace the front site IM THE EVENT it was damaged but it actually hasn't / doesn't happen or is in fact increidbly rare.

So I am wondering - does anyone actually have proof it won't hold up or is this just an often repeated claim? As I said the thing I read made excellent sense and was not a high school air softer type of article , it was really well written and mde a lot of sense. And also it made me think, some of those iron sights from big names are $300 for front flip BUIS. it would actually take a couple-a-few front MBUS's purchased before I reached the level on one of those expensive ones.

And I don't mean to call you out Mr Murph or anyone else like you're wrong I am honestyly just real curious if anyone actually has melted their front MBUS o. The gas block or if it's just a theory claim etc

Plastic contacting hot metal directly just seems like a bad idea to me. Plus, most railed gas blocks are not the correct height to work with the MBUS.

What front folding sights are you looking at for $300. Even Troy sights are just over $100 for a standard front sight.

faawrenchbndr
11-29-2011, 17:55
Scrappy'.......do some research! As per the manufacture's Specs:

NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues. Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is not compatible with the MOE Hand Guard.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG245/44

ScrappyDoo
11-29-2011, 18:33
Uh , did you miss the part I typed about Magpul's disclaimer saying they wouldn't replace it if it failed? do some reading comprehension !

faawrenchbndr
11-29-2011, 18:52

I also read a very well written blurb once that its simply a disclaimer from Magpul so they are proactively announcing they won't replace the front site IM THE EVENT it was damaged but it actually hasn't / doesn't happen or is in fact increidbly rare........

Uh , did you miss the part I typed about Magpul's disclaimer saying they wouldn't replace it if it failed? do some reading comprehension !

Go back and comprehend what you typed!
You stated some BS about a BLURB and some he said she said bullcrap!
Get you crap straight,.....and you MAY look like you know what you are talking about! :rofl:

ScrappyDoo
11-29-2011, 19:03
Simple question. Has anyone actually had it happen. Why are you commenting on something you can't speak of , and trying to look cool making a fight ? I mean really why bother if you haven't anything productive to add. And you wonder why people ah never mind.

BBJones
11-29-2011, 21:40
Simple question. Has anyone actually had it happen. Why are you commenting on something you can't speak of , and trying to look cool making a fight ? I mean really why bother if you haven't anything productive to add. And you wonder why people ah never mind.

Are you the type to lick a flag pole when its frozen just because you have never seen anyone stick their tongue to one before?

If you want to test it, find out how hot a gas block gets after 100 rounds fired in a decently quick pace. Then set your oven to that temp and throw your mapul sights in the oven. see how they do after 2-3 mins. Then repeat 10 times.

tip: just use a magpul xtm rail cover if you want to save money.

faawrenchbndr
11-30-2011, 02:36

I've never seen it first hand,.....however, I am smart enough to read directions
and understand that when a manufacturer states,
"NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues."
I am smart enough to realize that the polymer part must degrade, distort or deform
from the heat!

What's your excuse,.........?

crazymoose
11-30-2011, 02:37

I suppose it depends on rate of fire. Slow fire and the MBUS will probably be fine. However, I've seen guys light cigarettes off of rifle barrels after rapid fire mag dumps, and the gas block is going to be just as hot. Also, given that you can get normal M4 handguards hot enough to melt, and they're not directly attached to the barrel, it's not hard to extrapolate.

MrMurphy
11-30-2011, 03:46
When a personal friend, head of their production division says "don't stick one on a gas block" I would say he does, in fact, have a clue.