Know your holster and its condition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Know your holster and its condition

SouthernBoyVA
11-29-2011, 14:09
Just thought you might find this interesting. Kydex holsters are more than price bargains. They could save your butt (pun intended).

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

TKOFaith
11-29-2011, 14:25
Just thought you might find this interesting. Kydex holsters are more than price bargains. They could save your butt (pun intended).

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

I've seen this before, but it never hurts to be reminded!

IndyGunFreak
11-29-2011, 14:43

This has been posted like 100x

Bottom line, your subject is very telling... "Know your holster and it's condition". The person who had that holster, knew that holster was screwed up, and simply neglected to rectify the problem. As for why that holster did that... it's open to opinion, search the other threads.. I'm of the belief he tried to modify that holster, and now realizes his leather making skills are just as bad as his gun handling skills.

That URL also annoys me.. "worn holsters can cause accidental discharges"... It doesn't accurately depict what the whole problem was here (the shooter not replacing known faulty equipment).

Do gas pedals cause car accidents?

BailRecoveryAgent
11-29-2011, 14:52
I'm hearing the faint sound of an already beaten dead horse.

Using faulty worn out holsters that look like a revolver had stretched the leather out is borderline retarded.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SouthernBoyVA
11-29-2011, 15:23
Sorry gentlemen. A friend sent me the whole batch of these photos (there are more than what appears in the link) and I had not seen them before. Good to know they are out there and hopefully people learn from them.

Golddog
11-29-2011, 17:22
Thanks for the excellent link. I read a lot of firearms-related material but hadn't seen this piece. I loved my Glocks but always worried about the lack of a full safety, so I sold them in favor of my CZ's, just in case.

The issue is not just "faulty equipment". Errant shirttails and moments of inattention to which most of us are prey led me to prefer cocked and locked carry. (And I have no interest in hearing from those self-proclaimed Gods who walk among about their relentlessly exacting habits. I confess to my imperfections, so spare me your unctuous preachments.)

Cocked and locked creates its own issues, but for me it seems the best combination of safety and quick, accurate action.

IndyGunFreak
11-29-2011, 18:10
The issue is not just "faulty equipment". Errant shirttails and moments of inattention to which most of us are prey led me to prefer cocked and locked carry..

Moments of inattention.. Of course, but this can just as easily happen with a firearm that has a safety.

Errant shirttails, etc... I call BS. I've *tried* to make my trigger move w/ a T-shirt, draw string, etc.. (unloaded pistol of course) while holstering a firearm, and it just would not happen.

cowboy1964
11-29-2011, 18:44
Errant shirttails, etc... I call BS. I've *tried* to make my trigger move w/ a T-shirt, draw string, etc.. (unloaded pistol of course) while holstering a firearm, and it just would not happen.

And I can't make a Glock limp-wrist when I try but it has happened to me twice when I wasn't.

Lord
11-29-2011, 21:27
Do gas pedals cause car accidents?

Ask anyone that drives a toyota and suffered the scare of unintended acceleration... or the guy that was sentenced to 8 years in prison, served over two, before they realized that yes, gas pedals CAN cause accidents.

That being an aside... what the article shows is a quirk that seems to me to be specific to that particular type of holster. There are other brands, styles, types of leather holsters out there that would not be susceptible to this type of failure. Yes, it can happen. No, it doesn't happen to all leather holsters. Before anyone even asks... I don't even carry in leather anymore; I carry in kydex, but I wouldn't be opposed to using leather again as long as:

1. I like it
2. it's comfortable to me
3. it looks good
4. it functions as I need it to

Crossbreed super tucks are part leather. soft leather. by design, leather soft enough to press up against you and still be comfortable. get my point?
The article does make a point for one to be cognitive of... make sure ALL of your hardware is functional and safe. The guy in the article is responsible for his own ND... I refuse to call it an accident. He wasn't proactive enough, and his complacency led to negligence.

RussP
11-30-2011, 05:59
Moments of inattention.. Of course, but this can just as easily happen with a firearm that has a safety.

Errant shirttails, etc... I call BS. I've *tried* to make my trigger move w/ a T-shirt, draw string, etc.. (unloaded pistol of course) while holstering a firearm, and it just would not happen.It isn't when you are *trying* that is the problem. It is when you are not paying proper attention that is.

IndyGunFreak
11-30-2011, 08:50
It isn't when you are *trying* that is the problem. It is when you are not paying proper attention that is.

That's exactly my point. If I can't make it happen on purpose with a T-shirt, draw string, whatever.. the odds of it happening accidentally, are astronomical. I cigarette rolled a t-shirt, shoved it through the trigger guard, and tried to holster into a cheap uncle mikes nylon holster, and even after using brute force to shove the gun into the holster, the trigger didn't move.

Regardless, that's still not what the guy in the OP did...

mj9mm
12-02-2011, 15:07
:crying:ouch!! :wow:

Lord
12-02-2011, 15:52
That's exactly my point. If I can't make it happen on purpose with a T-shirt, draw string, whatever.. the odds of it happening accidentally, are astronomical.

I call BS on that. Is your trigger machined and set to the exact same weight behind the pull as all other guns on the planet? Are the springs in your gun, while within normal operating parameters, still exactly the same tensile strength as all other guns on the planet? Is there exactly the same amount of oil in your gun's inner workings as all other guns on the planet? The point I am making is that because you can't duplicate the problem on your own weapon, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist in other weapons. Just because you may have never seen an event take place, does not mean it never took place; and just because you can't make it happen, doesn't mean it has never and can never happen.

SCmasterblaster
12-02-2011, 16:28
I carry my G17 fully loaded in a Bianchi No. 4/4L holster on my right hip. Comfortable and reliable.

poodleplumber
12-04-2011, 15:09
To go back to the OP's original contention: I don't see this is a Kydex vs leather issue. More like quality holster well maintained and replaced when necessary on the one hand, vs cheap or worn out holster and someone who doesn't care or understand on the other.