Nypd police officer attacked in bathroom [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nypd police officer attacked in bathroom

fla2760
11-29-2011, 16:29
Staten Island police officer in wild struggle for his gun. Thank God the officer won.

http://www.silive.com/westshore/index.ssf/2011/11/college_of_staten_island_worke.html

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The man who died after a struggle with a police officer at the College of Staten Island has been tentatively identified as Cory Holmes, according to a police source.

The victim, an off-duty employee of the CSI Auxiliary Services, was 39.

The struggle took place at the Willowbrook campus at approximately 12:15 p.m., when an officer with the NYPD's Staten Island Task Force went into a standalone restroom facility by the school's athletic complex to take a bathroom break.

The officer observed a man engaged in some sort of drug activity, according to the source. When the officer approached, a wild struggle ensued. The man grabbed for the officer's gun, and the struggle spilled outside the restroom, where several passers by rushed in to assist the officer, sources said.

At some point the slide on the gun was pulled back and a live round popped out, according to the source. No shots were fired.

As they struggled, the man died, possibly of cardiac arrest or after falling to the ground, sources said. He was taken to Richmond University Medical Center, West Brighton, where he was pronounced dead, sources say.

School administrators released a brief statement about the incident, identifying the man as an off-duty CSI employee. The incident remains under police investigation.

Here is the school's statement, in its entirety:

Early this afternoon, an incident between an off-duty employee of the College of Staten Island Auxiliary Services and a member of the NYPD has resulted with both individuals being transported to a local hospital. Contrary to rumors that may have been circulating, no shots were fired. There is currently an active official NYPD investigation being conducted near parking lot six on the north side of campus, and the college’s North Loop Road is closed until further notice. There is no threat to the campus community and all classes and activities are proceeding as usual.

For hours after the incident, there was no information from the college about what precisely had happened.

During that time, college students and staffers were exchanging rumors via emails and the Internet about a possible shooting.

"I think there was something going on and they just don't want us to know," said Shady Ghadban, a Brooklyn resident and student at CSI.

OXCOPS
11-29-2011, 17:05
Bye bye dead guy.

blueiron
11-29-2011, 17:22
The victim??? :steamed:

The ___clown richly deserves his death!

Patchman
11-29-2011, 17:58
Damn, the cop can't even take a bathroom break in peace.

steveksux
11-29-2011, 18:37
Told ya, guns don't kill people....

Randy

MeefZah
11-29-2011, 20:41
The victim??? :steamed:

I read that to and about had a ******* fit. :shocked:

jwhite75
11-29-2011, 20:51
NYPD will go at this to see if the cop went to the "stand alone" restroom facility for soem other reason than to tinkle. Dont rule that out either...I have seen stranger stuff.

Maybe just a druggie and a cop wrong place at wrong time.

GackMan
11-29-2011, 20:59
good thing he didn't taze him...

CAcop
11-29-2011, 23:01

Yeah, he would have died if they tased him...oh wait.

Sharky7
11-30-2011, 00:57
NYPD will go at this to see if the cop went to the "stand alone" restroom facility for soem other reason than to tinkle. Dont rule that out either...I have seen stranger stuff.

Maybe just a druggie and a cop wrong place at wrong time.

I don't get it? What else you think the officer could have been doing besides dropping a dookie?

cowboywannabe
11-30-2011, 01:47
more dope for the others....

Silverhawk500
11-30-2011, 01:49
The Victim?????? The media can never get it right!

Goldendog Redux
11-30-2011, 01:58
The part of the story I find weird is that the guy died. He just up and died of a heart attack or something. Was he some kind of zombie or something?

CAcop
11-30-2011, 07:43
I don't get it? What else you think the officer could have been doing besides dropping a dookie?

It's not what he thinks the officer was doing there but what the NYPD brass thinks he was doing there.

MeefZah
11-30-2011, 09:22
It's not what he thinks the officer was doing there but what the NYPD brass thinks he was doing there.

Step 1: **** in a paper bag
Step 2: Go to IA interview with said bag
Step 3: Drop bag on table in front of IA investigators and announce: "The proof of what I was intending to do in that bathroom can be found inside the bag..."

Edit, for awesome follow up to that, attach a strip of TP to your shoe before walking in to the meeting.

merlynusn
11-30-2011, 09:29
Yeah, my first thought was "Victim".... I thought they said it was a NYPD officer. Then I realized they were being idiotic and calling the suspect a victim. Stupid news...

My second thought was, "thankfully he didn't taser him or else everyone would decry the use of the taser."

Good on the officer.

scottydl
11-30-2011, 12:30
Weird deal. Does give you pause to decide whether or not you should get involved off-duty when witnessing a possible crime in progress. All depends on the crime of course, and if the dude was smoking reefer I'm sure the cop didn't think that incident was about to turn into a fight for his gun. I wonder how his gun ended up unconcealed and/or out of its holster. Good outcome at least.

Numismatist
11-30-2011, 13:06
I wonder why the slide ejected the round? Was the cop trying to disable the gun so the BG couldn't shoot it? Was it an occurance of the struggle, or did the BG know how to disable the gun...

Interesting.:dunno:

ray9898
11-30-2011, 14:10

Yeah, he would have died if they tased him...oh wait.

Exactly what I was thinking.

acpd541
11-30-2011, 14:24
The part of the story I find weird is that the guy died. He just up and died of a heart attack or something. Was he some kind of zombie or something?

Excited delirium!

Ajon412
11-30-2011, 15:37
Damn, the cop can't even take a bathroom break in peace.

I was thinking the same thing...Is nothing sacred?...:rofl:

Sharky7
11-30-2011, 17:41

I'm betting dude did a big ol' caterpillar line of cocaine and then was surprised/scared by a police officer walking in on him....and then engaged in a violent fight with the officer. Heart attack. That is what my money is on.

glockbob
11-30-2011, 18:53
The victim, an off-duty employee of the CSI Auxiliary Services, was 39.

This sentence is very confusing.

-CSI Auxiliary Services, an employee of the College of Staten Island?

-What type of employment is Cory Holmes involved in?

- (Off-Duty) like a police officer, firefighter?

- Or off-duty like a librarian, cook, farmer, teacher, etc. Who refers to non-police, fire, ems, military as "off-duty"?

- Victim? Of a heart attack?

federali
11-30-2011, 19:17
If you guys think back, there are many instances of individuals, sometimes with no history of violence, suddenly lashing out violently, then dying of what seems like cardiac arrest. Doctors have been studying this phenomenon. Don't know if they have a name for it.

Regardless, the officer act appropriately as violence is violence, whatever causes it.

steveksux
11-30-2011, 20:36
Step 1: **** in a paper bag
Step 2: Go to IA interview with said bag
Step 3: Drop bag on table in front of IA investigators and announce: "The proof of what I was intending to do in that bathroom can be found inside the bag..."

Edit, for awesome follow up to that, attach a strip of TP to your shoe before walking in to the meeting.Reminds me of an old story... Accounting started requiring receipts for lunches < $5. Buddy thought it was stupid, had a small pizza, didn't have a receipt, so he stapled his expense report on the pizza box and turned it in...

I like your idea better... maybe use an evidence bag though, since it contains his alibi. Better for chain of custody and all that... :rofl:

Randy

DoogieHowser
11-30-2011, 23:23
Good thing to remember, I always try and snag one of the 'stand alone' or 1 stall locking door kind of place on campus. Freaks me out to do the do with other people around whilst in uni. Good to know I'm not paranoid...

Patchman
12-01-2011, 06:33
Oh if I had a nickle for each time I took a bathroom break and a BG died...

merlynusn
12-01-2011, 09:28
The NYPD officer on ON duty and the thug was an employee of the school who was not on the clock.

The news is calling the thug a victim instead of a thug.

acpd541
12-01-2011, 11:09
I try to avoid dropping one while out in uniform. If i really need to go, I look for single occupancy restrooms where it is me, the throne, and a sink to lean on for the stubborn ones.

steveksux
12-01-2011, 22:32
I try to avoid dropping one while out in uniform. If i really need to go, I look for single occupancy restrooms where it is me, the throne, and a sink to lean on for the stubborn ones.+1..

I'd at least take the handicapped stall. The throne seems a little shorter, you get better traction with your center of gravity lower. :whistling:

Randy