Colt Sporter M4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Sporter M4

CAcop
11-29-2011, 22:33
What have they come with when you got them?

We just go a few thrown into our fleet. We of course tossed the M4 handguards for the carbine handguards due to us using MP5 or shotgun racks or whatever the hell they are. The look almost like out older LE6920s except the finish is a little smoother on the upper and lower recievers. The barrels are identical. We have FA bolts versus the 2001 era LE6920s. The sear block is still there. The big difference is the Rogers Super stock that is marked Colt on the right side.

Anybody else got something different? I know Colt can sometimes throw whatever happens to be on the factory floor togther.

akgunnut
11-30-2011, 17:46
I have a Colt SP 6920 and I couldn't tell any difference between it and the LE 6920 except for the roll marks. It came in standard M4 style configuration along with sling, two 20 round mags, and a cleaning kit.

surf
11-30-2011, 21:51
I have not seen one in its base configuration that is different from latest production 6920's other than the roll markings?

CAcop
11-30-2011, 23:31
These two were marked "Sporter M4 Carbine"

Our older rifles were "Law Enforcement Rifle LE6920"

I think it might be the fact CA is already getting ban safe M4 Sporters.

surf
12-01-2011, 01:38
No it isn't just specific to California. Colt is no longer producing any new production rifles for consumer sales that are have the LE / Mil restriction markings. The last production 6920's with the LE / Mil markings are identical to the Sporter produced versions. Just different roll marks.

CAcop
12-01-2011, 10:32
So what were once LE6920s are now SP6920s but roll marked "Sporter M4 Carbine" correct?

I didn't get to see the boxes they were shipped in.

I ask because CA residents can now buy Colts because of the "M4 Carbine" roll mark.

surf
12-01-2011, 10:58
You are correct. The only real difference between the 2 rifles are the roll markings.

It took Colt a long long time to change these markings as they were originally put there as a result of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act signed into Law by Clinton in 94' which included provisions for a ban against firearms designated as "Assault Weapons". However since the sunset or end of the Federal ban in 94' this allowed sale of these weapons in states that didn't have their own specific State Laws banning such ownership of said "Assault Weapons".

I personally dislike the Sporter roll markings, but if that is what it took to own one because of State restrictions so be it. In reality I would purchase the Colt / Magpul limited run version which is stamped M4 Carbine over the Sporter, but I understand hoops that certain states have. The California legality issue is a side benefit for Cali gun owners and I am not sure if that was any part of the reasoning that Colt used to decide to do away with the restricted use markings. I am sure that the overall climate of society in general and the long time demand to do away with those markings had a great influence with Colt. Ironic how a simple stamp mark can change what people perceive a weapon to be, when in reality it is the exact same weapon. Funny because these were never "Assault Weapons" to begin with.