My brother wants to buy a 9mm....he needs help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My brother wants to buy a 9mm....he needs help!

dryfly
11-30-2011, 08:19
Hey 10ringers....a solicitation for a fellow 10ringer's brother in need of help.
My brother wants to purchase his first handgun.
A used Taurus 9mm is what his friend is trying to off-load on him.

I already read him the riot act...but being brothers who live hundreds of miles apart...he aint listening.

I cant find that pict/drawing of the 5 or 6 calibers being shot at the stick figure...the last caliber being the 10mm....That always cracks me up.
I am pretty sure this is all he needs to see to instill some sensibility in him.

I will see him at Christmas and he WILL be shooting some 10mm Swamp Fox and Underwood ammo...that should help change his mind as well...

Thanks!

4949shooter
11-30-2011, 08:22
I have two nines. Ammo is plentiful, and they are good for the kids to start out on. That having been said, they are BORING to shoot.

JPP
11-30-2011, 09:21
nothing wrong with 9mm at all, I really like the caliber a lot

that being said....a Taurus???? there are much, much better choices out there for 9mm pistols

oceanbob
11-30-2011, 09:24
He can get a 9MM but I would stay away from Taurus. My first choice would be a Glock 19, then a Glock 17. These are simply reliable and will hold value over the years.

Taterhead
11-30-2011, 09:30
Had the same conversation with my brother. He bought an XD in 9mm. Then he shot my G20. He has since recognized the error of his ways. A 10mm Glock is in his near term plans.

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-30-2011, 09:38
Don't waste money on a Taurus auto. Tell him to go with the Glock 19 or 17 if he's stubborn on the 9mm.

You COULD show him your 10, then explain the virtues of buying a compact G29sf and getting different caliber barrels for it. As a new, probably inexperienced shooter, he would benefit greatly from a one-gun system that is conversion capable.

Foxtrotx1
11-30-2011, 09:40
Hey 10ringers....a solicitation for a fellow 10ringer's brother in need of help.

I already read him the riot act...but being brothers who live hundreds of miles apart...he aint listening.

I cant find that pict/drawing of the 5 or 6 calibers being shot at the stick figure...the last caliber being the 10mm....That always cracks me up.
I am pretty sure this is all he needs to see to instill some sensibility in him.

I will see him at Christmas and he WILL be shooting some 10mm Swamp Fox and Underwood ammo...that should help change his mind as well...

Thanks!

If he get a 9mm make sure he gets a nice one. The 92 series is worth a look.

ModGlock17
11-30-2011, 10:51
I'd address it from the stand point of "needs", what he'd used it for?

Fun: 22lr is only 3cents a round for plinking fun and a whole lot more accurate over long distance.

SD: google "Trooper Mark Coates" and read about a guy absorb several .357 rounds and still was able to kill the Trooper with one shot. The 9mm is smaller than the .357 and when you don't hit at the right place, it just gets a BG really mad. Show him the hunting thread here, see the pictures of deers receiving nearly 800 ft-lbs of 10mm energy and imagine what can happen with the best 9mm energy which is half that. With the 9mm, you'd better be real accurate which is around 10% likelihood in a adrenalin rush situation. On the other hand, one hit with 10mm is would create bigger hole and lethal blood loss at a minimum.

The better thing is to try out a rental gun somewhere.

However, I believe it when people say that a handgun only buys you time to get to a rifle, your plan B.

arushus
11-30-2011, 14:06
If he is stuck on 9mm then fine, I dont like it but I can deal with it...but seriously, a taurus? The only thing they even do remotely decent with is revolvers, and they arent even that good at those....Talk him into a m&p, xdm, 92fs, or a ruger, but my first choice would be a 19!!!

99blkta
11-30-2011, 14:22
that being said....a Taurus???? there are much, much better choices out there for 9mm pistols

I laughed out loud at this!

dryfly
11-30-2011, 14:39
Any links to that stick figure cartoon would be cool...

99blkta
11-30-2011, 14:54
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265145&page=2

Bottom of page

dryfly
11-30-2011, 15:11
Thanks 99... cracks me up every time I see it !

TRaGiK
11-30-2011, 16:04
IMO, a 10mm is foolish to buy as a first handgun...unless he's wealthy.

10mm ammo isn't cheap...and it can be hard to come by. My LGS' stock it, but they frequently run out.

9mm ammo is both abundant, and (relatively) cheap. It typically costs less than half of what 10mm is.

I love my 10, but if I could have only one single caliber, the 10 would not be my first choice.

blastfact
11-30-2011, 19:37
Nothing wrong with a 9mm at all! I own two and carry one all the time.

As for the Tauri. If it's dirt cheap and shoots out good. No harm no foul. Again,,,, if it's dirt cheap and shoots out well!!!!! Say this guy is a friend of your brothers. Tell brother to go buy a 50 round box of ammo at wal-mart and have is brother run 50 rounds through the Tauri in front of him. If it does not fail start talking money. Dirt cheap money. Otherwise start looking at all the other offerings out there in 9mm. There are a boat load of quality 9mm's out there.

I would never start a new shooter out on 10mm even if all they were shooting was retail bunny fart loads. It's just flat out going to cost to much learning the basics, body mechanics and all the other fine stuff that goes along with the shooting sports.

attrapereves
11-30-2011, 20:13
IMO, a 10mm is foolish to buy as a first handgun...unless he's wealthy.

10mm ammo isn't cheap...and it can be hard to come by. My LGS' stock it, but they frequently run out.

9mm ammo is both abundant, and (relatively) cheap. It typically costs less than half of what 10mm is.

I love my 10, but if I could have only one single caliber, the 10 would not be my first choice.

I definitely agree with this. I decided to step up to the plate and start reloading once I bought a 10mm.

I really enjoy shooting my 9mms. Fast follow up shots and light on the wrist. If I only had one handgun, my Glock 19 would be it.

NAS T MAG
11-30-2011, 20:34
If he get a 9mm make sure he gets a nice one. The 92 series is worth a look.

No s***! The USA military looked at it and picked it over any 1911. The only caliber more "overall" effective than a 9mm is the .357 Magnum. JHC:tongueout:

TDC20
11-30-2011, 20:41
Time for a 9mm intervention? :supergrin:

Seriously, I have several 9mm's and I love shooting them. You learn to shoot well by shooting a lot, and that's much cheaper to do with a 9mm than it is with a 10.

Just think, it could be worse....he could be buying a .25 auto! :shocked:

JimIsland
11-30-2011, 20:48
A G19 would make an excellent first gun. He could get a lot of "seat time" with it on the cheap and then step up to 10mm, 45acp, etc. later on.

arushus
11-30-2011, 21:43
Personally, I dont think there is anything wrong with a 10mm as a first handgun...it was mine. Ive learned on it very easily, and can now shoot it very well, though the ammo can be expensive. Im just saying that as long as someone knows what theyre getting into with ammo costs and such like I did, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a 10mm.

Now Im not advocating that this guy do it, just saying there's nothing wrong with it. And as far as only picking one caliber goes...it would DEFINITELY be 10mm for me, what other caliber is so versatile?

dryfly
11-30-2011, 21:53
He can do it...even more-so with my help.
He can afford the ammo.
He is just being a closed-minded, frugal pain in the ass...
But when he shoots some Swamp Fox out of my 20sf at xmas gathering he will know what he wants.
As most of you know when you let someone shoot your 10mm...it puts smiles on faces...
My guess is he will be a 10ringer like his brother not far into 2012....

glock20c10mm
11-30-2011, 22:53
Personally, I dont think there is anything wrong with a 10mm as a first handgun...it was mine.
I don't either. My first and only semi-auto is 10mm. First handgun overall was a 44 Magnum.

Thanks!
Alrighty then....IMO 9mm is WAAAAAAAY overrated....but okay, fine....then your bring up the Taurus aspect and that's when a mouthful of Dr. Pepper went across the room as opposed to down my throat. Not good, not good at all! That's not to mention my lack of breathing for a few moments (may have been choking, can't recall, think I blacked out too). If it's any consolation, I'm not aware that GT even offers a Taurus "Forum" or "Club" as the case may be (certainly correct me if I'm wrong, who knows, maybe it's a subforum within "Misc. Non-Gun Stuff" or something).

Clearly your distant brother lacks some insight from our world. He may as well have explained he was going to start reloading with black powder in 10mm Auto while hoping for a promising nuclear load from a snub nosed S&W 610.

All joking aside, I guess my question ends up being; What does he think he wants the 9mm for, Taurus or not?

If he's never gonna do anything other than plinking, then 22LR in a semi-auto (or whatever) is way cheaper and just as fun (though still preferably not in a Taurus).

If he's actually considering 9mm for SD then he should understand it's the smallest (physically and weakest for a semi-auto) round still considered acceptable according to FBI protocol. BTW, what would be considered a torture test for a Taurus semi-auto....maybe a box of ammo, slow controlled fire only? There's a reason they don't cost much.

Sounds as much as anything like your brother's buddy has him all talked into something based on the perception of a cool factor that isn't cool at all. Maybe you could bring up the other flavors in 9mm, namely: 357SIG and 9x25 Dillon, and thereby help erase the thought of a Taurus 9mm from his mind that way. Then if he bites on that bring the 10mm into it.....and go from there or something.

Well, Good Luck. Hope you can find a way to get him to actually listen to you, as opposed to just hearing you and it going right through one ear out the other. And who knows, maybe he'll end up with the Taurus and never shoot it anyway (except the first time to get whatever is in his system out of his system...after that I'm sure a Taurus makes a darned fine paper weight). Tell him don't forget about a cleaning kit either! Maybe some Frog Lube and what not...:kidding:

Again, I'm sure he's a good guy and all.....Good Luck! If nothing else, he should understand you're being there for him against what would end up in embarrassment, ridicule, mockery, teasing, and looser status. Too harsh? Well if the truth hurts... Does he have any pride at all?:shocked:

glock20c10mm
11-30-2011, 22:56
He can do it...even more-so with my help.
He can afford the ammo.
He is just being a closed-minded, frugal pain in the ass...
But when he shoots some Swamp Fox out of my 20sf at xmas gathering he will know what he wants.
As most of you know when you let someone shoot your 10mm...it puts smiles on faces...
My guess is he will be a 10ringer like his brother not far into 2012....
I suppose I should add him to tonight's prayers. Let's hope you're right, for his sake.:supergrin:

blastfact
11-30-2011, 22:57
arushus and dryfly:

How do you move and shoot with your 10's? How does barrier work go? How fluid are you with them? Not big tactical questions. Just asking.

As a nightstand gun I've got very fond of my wifes S&W 60 Pro stoked with above max published load 158gn XTP's over 2400 and mag primers. Within a few minuets of her getting me home from my hernia surgery she asked which pistol I wanted. I wanted her Smith. And have been seting and sleeping with it since. With a trigger job done a bit of spit and polish and the factory front night sight. It's quite the package IMHO. But I would never suggest that combo to new shooters.

Theres more to learning to shoot than the thud and that giddy smile we have all had to wipe off our faces. :)

arushus
12-01-2011, 00:25
arushus and dryfly:

How do you move and shoot with your 10's? How does barrier work go? How fluid are you with them? Not big tactical questions. Just asking.

As a nightstand gun I've got very fond of my wifes S&W 60 Pro stoked with above max published load 158gn XTP's over 2400 and mag primers. Within a few minuets of her getting me home from my hernia surgery she asked which pistol I wanted. I wanted her Smith. And have been seting and sleeping with it since. With a trigger job done a bit of spit and polish and the factory front night sight. It's quite the package IMHO. But I would never suggest that combo to new shooters.

Theres more to learning to shoot than the thud and that giddy smile we have all had to wipe off our faces. :)

I actually tested myself a bit today with movementand such...I set up several two liter bottles of water around a field and proceeded to move and shoot, side to side and such, just to see how well I could do...I actually surprised myself! I dunno if it is my new sights or Im just getting better with practice, but it seemed like everything I shot went right where I wanted. And I was using some full power underwood 180gr fmj's...So I move with it pretty well...I guess you'll have to clarify what you mean by how I do with barriers with the 10mm? Do you mean moving between them, or defeating them with gunshots?

21Carrier
12-01-2011, 02:34
I would stop trying to argue CALIBER with him, and start arguing BRAND. Buying a 9mm is not a bad idea for a new gun owner, but buying a used TAURUS 9mm auto is a bad idea. As a new gun owner, he needs something that's just gonna work, with a minimum of maintenance. Personally, I think a G19 might be the best gun on the planet as a general purpose (SD, HD, target) gun for a new shooter or woman. Ammo is cheap, it's reliable, stupid simple, doesn't need maintenance, and easy to shoot. A G20SF would be a great choice as well, but there's the chance that he may be recoil sensitive, and scarce/expensive ammo could be a turn-off.

The most important thing is to get him into guns. That means you need something that he's guaranteed to like, easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, always works, simple, and ammo that's everywhere. That's a G17/19. Once he gets bit by the shooting bug, THEN push him to the 10mm dark side.

dryfly
12-01-2011, 07:44
This turned into a pretty good thread....Dr Pepper convulsions cracked me up. I would guess my brother's friend just wants to get rid of the Taurus and may have my brother at a disadvantage. But I have his ear this I know...and he respects my opinion...and he will be reading this thread today as well.

Blastfact...good questions about fluidity with movement while shooting my 10. I am by no means an expert....I would also say I could use a lesson from an expert and maybe one of those "tactical sd/hd handgun defense courses" I read about...but will probably never take one. My biggest problem shooting my 20sf is double-tapping....1st shot is always true...2nd shot is rarely close to where I want it.....Does that mean I am over-gunned ??? I dont know...I know I was better at double-tapping with my G32 and G33....

Heres the thing...we all know my brother will have buyers remorse if he buys a used Taurus 9mm auto...I think he said $300.00 with ammo. We also know he will eventually want a 10mm even if he buys a 19....

I will keep you all posted....

JimIsland
12-01-2011, 10:42
I would stop trying to argue CALIBER with him, and start arguing BRAND. Buying a 9mm is not a bad idea for a new gun owner, but buying a used TAURUS 9mm auto is a bad idea. As a new gun owner, he needs something that's just gonna work, with a minimum of maintenance. Personally, I think a G19 might be the best gun on the planet as a general purpose (SD, HD, target) gun for a new shooter or woman. Ammo is cheap, it's reliable, stupid simple, doesn't need maintenance, and easy to shoot. A G20SF would be a great choice as well, but there's the chance that he may be recoil sensitive, and scarce/expensive ammo could be a turn-off.

The most important thing is to get him into guns. That means you need something that he's guaranteed to like, easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, always works, simple, and ammo that's everywhere. That's a G17/19. Once he gets bit by the shooting bug, THEN push him to the 10mm dark side.

Well put. My 72 yr old Dad recently purchased a G19(first real gun) and couldn't be happier. Now he's all giddy trying to figure out whick Glock he wants next!:supergrin:

ModGlock17
12-01-2011, 16:59
Heres the thing...we all know my brother will have buyers remorse if he buys a used Taurus 9mm auto...I think he said $300.00 with ammo. We also know he will eventually want a 10mm even if he buys a 19....

I will keep you all posted....

There are those, like me, who learn by making mistake. Then there are those who learn by others' mistakes. :cool:

EDIT: Then there are those who keep making the same mistake. :faint: