Aging Eyesight, shooting, and Retirees [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aging Eyesight, shooting, and Retirees

federali
11-30-2011, 14:20
My distance vision is excellent, with just slight correction needed, but I need quite strong reading glasses. If you're like me, you've experienced the frustration of fuzzy sights or seeing two or more front sights until I found a solution quite by chance. In the big box chain drug stores like CVS, they have reading glasses for sale in varying strengths. I put on various reading glasses, then held up my fingers like a front and rear sight and they appeared quite clear. I felt I was onto something.

Next, I went to my workshop and made what amounts to a sight rib, attaching a front sight to a piece of strip wood and fashioning a rear sight by folding black vinyl electricians' tape against itself and cutting a rear sight notch with a razor. I took this to BJ's and began trying different glasses with my home made sight tool. For obvious reasons, you cannot use either a real or fake gun unless you want to be visited by a swat team.

I found that the eyeglasses rated +1.5 gave me the crisp sight picture I haven't seen in 25 years with the target only slightly out of focus. I bought the four eyeglass pack for $20.00. One is now in my night stand, one each for my two range bags and one I carry with me. I've rediscovered shooting.

To be sure, I'm fully aware that should the feces interface with the oscillating ventilator, I may not have time to switch glasses but at least I have them if I can. However, I also practice with my bifocals to ensure I remain competent for those quick, come-as-you-are encounters.

While +1.5 worked for me, you'll find a large choice of strengths to find what's best for you. You don't need to be too handy to make up the sight rib which you'll need to determine what you need.

lethal tupperwa
11-30-2011, 14:37
you can also use a metal tape measure pulled out to the barrel length

Turn it over and hold it with the short piece of tape extended.

Look at the tab at the end of the tape if it is clear, so will the front sight be.

GioaJack
11-30-2011, 14:41
You can always tell an old black powder rifle shooter by the number of dovetails cut in his barrels from moving the rear sight forward.

Within the next two years I expect my rear sights to be forward of my front sights. :crying:

Jack

IGotIt
11-30-2011, 14:51
My problem is seeing distant past 75 yards without a scope, and/or using a red dot. The +1.25 reading glasses work wonders for sighting, however the target at 100 yrds is quite fuzzy. Now wearing my normal glasses, the target is clear but the sights are fuzzy.

I end up using the reading glasses for the better sight picture and went to "shoot n see" or splatter targets. Using a scope with magnification I use regular shooting glasses.

acpd541
11-30-2011, 15:00
Do you not now wear bifocals? A visit to an optometrist might be in order. I was having issues reading small print this past year even with my glasses on. I finally broke down and got an eye exam in August. Sure enough, doc said I needed bi-focal glasses.

Sucks getting older.

IGotIt
11-30-2011, 15:30
I have progressive lenses in my regular glasses but they are designed to focus near, mid, or far depending on how you tilt your head or look through the glasses. So the same thing happens for distance, you can either focus on the sights with the lower portion, or use the top portion to look at the target not both.

I understand its the same for bifocals, it's either up close or distance but not both at the same time.

And yes, I get my eyes checked once a year. Last time was in September.

NC Bullseye
11-30-2011, 17:44
I was wearing a weak pair of reading glasses for driving and a strong pair for reading. Switching got to be a pain so I got a prescription for progressive bifocals. My optometrist was able to place the right magnification at the right place in the lens so I could see the front sight perfect and the target was also good.

Maybe a little more expense but well worth it.

As a side note, after explaining my concerns she said to bring in the gun and she'd get the focus distance right and she did it without blinking an eye.

Hack
12-02-2011, 08:26
I was wearing a weak pair of reading glasses for driving and a strong pair for reading. Switching got to be a pain so I got a prescription for progressive bifocals. My optometrist was able to place the right magnification at the right place in the lens so I could see the front sight perfect and the target was also good.

Maybe a little more expense but well worth it.

As a side note, after explaining my concerns she said to bring in the gun and she'd get the focus distance right and she did it without blinking an eye.

She know anyone in Kansas who will do that? Shooting with progressives for me is a pain in the backside. I do kind of OK, but not as well as I would like to.

CAcop
12-02-2011, 09:00
Look into aspheric lenses. My optomotrist said he was going to put me in those when I needed them. They scatter light all around the retina and then your brain figures out how to use it. It works for about 80% of people.

federali
12-02-2011, 10:07
I forgot to mention that an alternative solution is a custom trifocal. Your bi-focal would be of your normal prescription with the exception that a determination is made as to what exactly works best for sight picture. Then, this prescription, the third one, is placed at the top of the lens, just above your distance vision. To use, simply tilt your head down a bit so that the eye sees through the top of the lens, in my case, this is where I'd put the +1.50. I had just sprung for progressive regular and sun glasses when I discovered that weak reading glasses can save the day. Oh well:crying:

lethal tupperwa
12-02-2011, 10:47
the real solution for shooting is to tell your Dr. that you want the minimal magnification in your dominate eye that will let you see your front sight clearly.

They will have to know how far from your eye the sight will be in your shooting stance.

Patchman
12-02-2011, 16:48
I miss the days when spray-and-pray covered a lot of shortcomings, including aging eyesight.