How do you keep your semi auto HD shot gun loaded? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your semi auto HD shot gun loaded?

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 15:46
I will always have an Remington 870 pump action in my safe as a HD weapon -

I make sure the gun is unloaded - dry fire - then load up the mag tube - leave the safety off (fire position) and stick it in the safe.

If I ever need it - all I need to do is rack the forearm to load a round - no small buttons to push -simple easy - could do it in my sleep.

I bought a 20 gauge semi auto for my wife to shoot - decided it would be a good idea to keep it next to the 870 -

I loaded the mag tube up with #3 buckshot - left the chamber empty - safety off -

All I would need to do is rack the cocking handle - seems straight forward enough.

But I am not the type that accepts a simple solution without beating it to death. :upeyes:

I considered locking the cocking handle back - with the magazine cut off engaged - then all I would need to do is push the magazine cut off button and the action closes and a round is loaded.

The button is a little tight - my wife would have trouble - it is her gun.

How do you keep your semi auto HD shot gun loaded?

deadday
11-30-2011, 15:50
Chamber round, safety on

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 17:11
Chamber round, safety on

I don't like keeping a round in the chamber on a gun sitting in my upstairs safe.

It would be the only gun in this safe with a round chambered.

I considered doing it anyway - the gun is only a 4+1 - I put 4 in the mag and then have a loose shell laying around.

My simple rule that I have followed for years -

Gun in a holster always a round in the chamber - gun not in a holster never a round in the chamber -

Scattergun1187
11-30-2011, 17:14
20rd. Drum loaded and put on in the chamber takes a 1/2 second.

eracer
11-30-2011, 17:18
Is this a trick question?

6 rounds of #1 Buck in the tube, with 1 round of #1 Buck in the chamber. Safety on. One step away from the bed.

ssgrock3
11-30-2011, 17:21
1200fp with one on the lifter, 6 in the mag.

jwhite75
11-30-2011, 17:39
What eracer said. Its a defense gun it needs to be reachable in one step and ready to rock and roll.

DHSGMAN
11-30-2011, 17:52
Loaded tube, safety off. Pull back the charging handle, release and it's ready to go. Mossberg 930 SPX.

NH Trucker
11-30-2011, 18:43
Saiga 12, 12 round magazine loaded and inserted, bolt locked open, stock folded to the left side. All I have to do is hit the handle on the bolt and it slams shut and is ready to rock. If that gets emptied, I also have a 20 round drum sitting in the drawer of the night stand. Both the magazine and drum are loaded with Federal 2 3/4 00 Buck.

IF I need a second shotgun for some reason, I have an 870 in my safe in another room, fully loaded 6+1, safety on. Has the same shells as the Saiga.

matthewluber
11-30-2011, 19:34
Same as a patrol car.
Rounds in tube, chamber empty, decocked with safety on.

It's generally called "Car carry ready."

-gunut-
11-30-2011, 19:59
One loaded in the chamber and full mag (safety on).

Why not?

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 21:19
I don't want a safety on (not ready to fire) in a SD/HD shotgun.

You really want to mess around with a little-bitty button in this situation?

Why have a safety on & an empty chamber?

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 21:20
Loaded tube, safety off. Pull back the charging handle, release and it's ready to go. Mossberg 930 SPX.

This is how I have it right now - so far I see nothing "better"

:dunno:

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 21:22
1200fp with one on the lifter, 6 in the mag.

What is 1200fp?

What is one on the lifter?

At least I know what 6 in the mag means!

Z71bill
11-30-2011, 21:27
Same as a patrol car.

I always thought it was

full mag tube - chamber empty - decocked with safety OFF = "cruiser ready" :dunno:

Victoriagotagun
11-30-2011, 21:45
What is 1200fp?

What is one on the lifter?

At least I know what 6 in the mag means!

He is talking about the Beretta 1200FP semi-auto shotgun. And the lifter being the shell lifter/carrier.

glock2740
11-30-2011, 21:52
I will always have an Remington 870 pump action in my safe as a HD weapon -

I make sure the gun is unloaded - dry fire - then load up the mag tube - leave the safety off (fire position) and stick it in the safe.

If I ever need it - all I need to do is rack the forearm to load a round - no small buttons to push -simple easy - could do it in my sleep.

I bought a 20 gauge semi auto for my wife to shoot - decided it would be a good idea to keep it next to the 870 -

I loaded the mag tube up with #3 buckshot - left the chamber empty - safety off -

All I would need to do is rack the cocking handle - seems straight forward enough.

But I am not the type that accepts a simple solution without beating it to death. :upeyes:

I considered locking the cocking handle back - with the magazine cut off engaged - then all I would need to do is push the magazine cut off button and the action closes and a round is loaded.

The button is a little tight - my wife would have trouble - it is her gun.

How do you keep your semi auto HD shot gun loaded?
Question...

Chamber round, safety on

Answer. :cool:

-gunut-
11-30-2011, 21:53
You really want to mess around with a little-bitty button in this situation?

It's not difficult. Don't over-think it.

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 06:22
He is talking about the Beretta 1200FP semi-auto shotgun. And the lifter being the shell lifter/carrier.

So have the action open - with a loose shell sitting just outside the chamber?

If I have it right - this would be a poor method -

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 06:23
Question...

Answer. :cool:

Why have the safety on?

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 06:38
It's not difficult. Don't over-think it.

I want to think it through before hand.

I had my alarm system go off one night around 3:00 AM

I learned a few things -

The main point I came away with - I want it simple - no small buttons to mess with.

All I needed to do was hit the action bar lock so I could rack a round into the chamber. It's not that difficult. Except that night - at 3 AM - alarm blaring - my mind still half asleep - my arm tingling from laying on it - course it didn't help that it took me 3 tries to get my safe open - it wasn't all that easy.

YMMV - :dunno:

ssgrock3
12-01-2011, 06:52
So have the action open - with a loose shell sitting just outside the chamber?

If I have it right - this would be a poor method -

No sir, action is closed, lifter is holding shell under bolt. The beretta 1200fp lets you load off the carrier. Uber fast loading and shooting.

matthewluber
12-01-2011, 07:59
The way we trained and keep ours is with the safety on. Maybe it depends on your department.
I never had an issue remembering to turn the safety off or not being able to disengage the safety - and I'm a left handed shooter (on a rem 870 pm that is set up for a right handed person).

I always thought it was

full mag tube - chamber empty - decocked with safety OFF = "cruiser ready" :dunno:

ArmoryDoc
12-01-2011, 07:59
Duty Condition. Tube full. Chamber empty, Safety on. Just like at work.

ArmoryDoc
12-01-2011, 08:01
If you have trouble with muscle memory, you aren't training enough.

You will default to your level of training. If you have none, that's what you'll default to.

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 08:50

Why have the safety on with an empty chamber?

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 08:57
If you have trouble with muscle memory, you aren't training enough.

You will default to your level of training. If you have none, that's what you'll default to.

When an alarm jolts me out of a deep sleep at 3:00 AM - I get out of bed - arm is still asleep - makes it hard to think - hard to locate a little button.

ZRiz19C
12-01-2011, 10:08
20ga 1187

Safety off, 4 rds. #2 buck in the tube. Nothing in the chamber

rewster
12-01-2011, 10:31
When an alarm jolts me out of a deep sleep at 3:00 AM - I get out of bed - arm is still asleep - makes it hard to think - hard to locate a little button.

I would think that after 3 tries at opening the safe, locating a button would be the last thing you'd have to worry about.

You already had a trial run with the alarm going off. How did that work out for you? Not too good. An HD/SD gun is not worth a hill of beans if you can't get to it fast and have it ready to go. Sitting in a locked safe is the last place it should be.

I have a Moss 500 pump 12 ga with a full mag and one in the chamber (#1 buck) and the safety on in the basement sitting outside the locked gun safe. I'm down there a lot reloading and gun cleaning.

There is also a Moss SA-20 fully loaded (#1 buck) with the safety on in the upstairs bedroom sitting just inside the closet next to the locked gun safe.

If you need to use it, then it better be ready ! Just my not so humble 2 cents.

MarkCO
12-01-2011, 10:32
Full tube, bolt closed empty chamber.

FWIW, buckshot it the least reliable feeding load in autoloaders. The thinner the hull, the worse they are. If you choose buckshot, make sure they are high quality, the pellets don't create surface buldges, and the crimps are very rigid. Buffered #4 buck seems to be the best of the lot in quality loadings.

ArmoryDoc
12-01-2011, 10:50
Why have the safety on with an empty chamber?

Because when you reach for your gun and deactivate the bolt release and chamber a round, that puts you automatically on safe. You make a conscious effort to take the safety off to fire. It's how we are trained in our department.

CAcop
12-01-2011, 11:07
Since 1997 I have been trained and continue to store and then make ready a long gun with the magazine loaded, chamber empty, and safety on.

The safety on I think is AD preventer for LE. Say you roll up to a call needing a long gun but you are not yet ready to fire because there is no threat. So you sling your gun. In the heat of the moment you forgot to put the safety on. There have been ADs with long guns hitting the gear on an officer's belt.

As far as my own time is concerned I could put on in the chamber but pulling it out of the safe I do not want to be pulling out a loaded gun by the barrel with a round in the chamber.

Besides what is my training that gets reinforced every day at work?

roguedaddy
12-01-2011, 11:14
I also have a 20G auto for the family hd gun. I keep my with a full tube chamber closed and safety off. All that is needed is to pull the lever back and let it go.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Z71bill
12-01-2011, 11:14
I would think that after 3 tries at opening the safe, locating a button would be the last thing you'd have to worry about.

You already had a trial run with the alarm going off. How did that work out for you? Not too good. An HD/SD gun is not worth a hill of beans if you can't get to it fast and have it ready to go. Sitting in a locked safe is the last place it should be.

I have a Moss 500 pump 12 ga with a full mag and one in the chamber (#1 buck) and the safety on in the basement sitting outside the locked gun safe. I'm down there a lot reloading and gun cleaning.

There is also a Moss SA-20 fully loaded (#1 buck) with the safety on in the upstairs bedroom sitting just inside the closet next to the locked gun safe.

If you need to use it, then it better be ready ! Just my not so humble 2 cents.

True -

I could open my safe in less than 2 seconds WITH MY EYES CLOSED - I actually did this all the time - well every time except ONE! :embarassed:

After that experience I now unlock the safe - 2 steps from the bed - every night before bed. I don't like leaving guns unsecured - so it gets locked every morning.

My point was I learned - what you do 10,000 times at the range or during practice - doesn't mean a whole lot - in the middle of the night - 3 seconds out of a deep sleep - with an alarm ringing and thinking some scumbag is inside your home.

I want it simple - no small buttons to fumble with - limited extra steps -

But I still want a margin of safety - empty chamber gives it to me.

Guess for now I will just leave it as is with the semi auto - I still use the 870 as the primary HD / alarm in the night gun.

:wavey:

Mr.Reignman
12-01-2011, 11:31
8 rounds of PDX1 in the tube, 1 in the pipe, cocked, locked and ready to inform the assailant he walked into the wrong room........

(12 gauge mossberg 500A)

rewster
12-01-2011, 11:46
True -

I could open my safe in less than 2 seconds WITH MY EYES CLOSED - I actually did this all the time - well every time except ONE! :embarassed:

After that experience I now unlock the safe - 2 steps from the bed - every night before bed. I don't like leaving guns unsecured - so it gets locked every morning.

My point was I learned - what you do 10,000 times at the range or during practice - doesn't mean a whole lot - in the middle of the night - 3 seconds out of a deep sleep - with an alarm ringing and thinking some scumbag is inside your home.

I want it simple - no small buttons to fumble with - limited extra steps -

But I still want a margin of safety - empty chamber gives it to me.

Guess for now I will just leave it as is with the semi auto - I still use the 870 as the primary HD / alarm in the night gun.

With any luck both you and I will never have a situation come up :cool:

VZ1600
12-01-2011, 13:07
Magazine loaded, empty chamber, safety on. Mossberg 930SPX.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Z71bill
12-02-2011, 09:52
Full tube, bolt closed empty chamber.

FWIW, buckshot it the least reliable feeding load in autoloaders. The thinner the hull, the worse they are. If you choose buckshot, make sure they are high quality, the pellets don't create surface buldges, and the crimps are very rigid. Buffered #4 buck seems to be the best of the lot in quality loadings.

I have never heard this before - I just bought a few boxes of buffered buckshot -

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 20 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered #3 Buckshot

I wasn't really looking for buffered and will admit I didn't even know what buffered was - I just wanted to try a few different buckshot loads before I settle on the "best" one for the gun - these were on sale.

Have not shot them yet -

Hedo1
12-02-2011, 11:53
Cruiser Ready. Empty Chamber, safety on, 4 in the tube. I've also got 4 more in a side saddle. Tucked underneath the bed.

windplex
12-02-2011, 12:02
not an expert. for what its worth read that the military trains troops to keep the chamber empty on the shotguns they carry

ssgrock3
12-02-2011, 15:47
I have never heard this before - I just bought a few boxes of buffered buckshot -

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 20 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered #3 Buckshot

I wasn't really looking for buffered and will admit I didn't even know what buffered was - I just wanted to try a few different buckshot loads before I settle on the "best" one for the gun - these were on sale.

Have not shot them yet -

what is buffered buckshot?

MarkCO
12-02-2011, 16:42
what is buffered buckshot?

There is a white (usually) soft granular material that is infilled with the shot pellets. The ammo manufacturers typically use it on the higher end loads claiming that it prevents distortion of the pellets as they are accelerated down the bore. This is supposed to provide for more even and concentric patterns. For HD distances, it is probably not a big deal unless you are using an autoloader. With the buffer, the hulls tend to be smoother and the crimp more rigid. This is a very important feature in autoloaders. The bumps and soft crimps (generally inconsistencies) are what cause most of the ammo related malfunctions in autoloaders. If you choose a working shotgun loaded with buckshot, then it should be stoked with a buffered load.

roguedaddy
12-02-2011, 17:52
Does anyone make a sidesaddle for 20 gauge shotguns?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Victoriagotagun
12-02-2011, 18:24
Does anyone make a sidesaddle for 20 gauge shotguns?

I know that TacStar makes some 4 rd models for the 870 and 500/590.

#5xbr
12-02-2011, 19:52
MOSSBERG MODEL 5500- 7+1- SAFETY ON- rotate rounds and springs as needed

#5xbr
12-02-2011, 19:54
oh yea-tube equals 00 buck -side saddle equals 4 rounds slug

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 15:44
In a safe, condition one with safety on.

#5xbr
12-22-2011, 23:08
mossberg semi model 5500- 7 in the tube,one in the chamber,saftey on.oo buck in the shotgun,4 slugs in the sidesaddle. that is all.

RWROD
12-23-2011, 01:57
Well I guess my wife's HD shotgun and ready state is the odd one of this group. She's some what recoil sensative and not very mechanically inclined under stress. So it's a Nickel 12GA coach gun with 2 inch long 00 buckshot (6 pellets) with the safety off. She uses the hard double triggers as the safety ala a DA revolver.:wow:

fasteddie565
12-23-2011, 04:18
Cruiser Ready. Empty Chamber, safety on, 4 in the tube. I've also got 4 more in a side saddle. Tucked underneath the bed.

I am not a cop, but isn't cruiser ready one in the chamber and cruiser safe an empty chamber? I am not calling you out, your comment is just different from what I have learned in the past.

Ref my SG status, On safe, 00 in the chamber; 7rds in the tube; 3 00 and 2 slugs in the sidesaddle, by the front door during the day, in the safe at night. (I live in the country and can see folks coming from a LONG way away.)

tdrake2406
12-26-2011, 15:55
i think the best way to do this is the way you are most comfortable with having the gun in an alarmed situation. have a plan that you can follow. lay down in your bed, pretend that someone has broken in in the middle of the night. grab your gun get it ready for firing and take your position in the room. pumping the shotgun or taking the safety off etc. may make some sounds that you might not want someone who has just broken in to hear. i keep mine loaded safety off and next to the nightstand/bed. in the dark i cant tell if the safety button is red or black and i have not memorized that on my gun to be honest. i also have shown my gf how to use it as well. we dont have kids and our dog could care less if it is there or not. if you do have kids in the house, i would say go about this situation a little bit differently but make sure YOU HAVE A GAMEPLAN!!!

owl6roll
12-27-2011, 02:52
Same as a patrol car.

YEP!!! Safety ON!!!!!!!

owl6roll
12-27-2011, 14:41
since 1997 i have been trained and continue to store and then make ready a long gun with the magazine loaded, chamber empty, and safety on.

The safety on i think is ad preventer for le. Say you roll up to a call needing a long gun but you are not yet ready to fire because there is no threat. So you sling your gun. In the heat of the moment you forgot to put the safety on. There have been ads with long guns hitting the gear on an officer's belt.

As far as my own time is concerned i could put on in the chamber but pulling it out of the safe i do not want to be pulling out a loaded gun by the barrel with a round in the chamber.

Besides what is my training that gets reinforced every day at work?

amen!!

Glockbuster
12-27-2011, 15:39

This, plus all else ArmoryDoc stated in his following posts. Very good advice and the way to do it.

blueberry1177
12-28-2011, 17:55
Car Carry only