Do any of you have a hard time deciding what gun to carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have a hard time deciding what gun to carry?

Two Guns
11-30-2011, 19:11
I was having the hardest time figuring out what gun I wanted to be my primary carry gun. I just have so many that I like.It came down to my S&W 457, H&K USP Compact 40 or my H&K USP Compact 45. I shoot them all about the same and they all carry about the same in the same holster.But in the end I picked the USP Compact 45. I really don't know why but I just love the gun a little more than the other two. Plus I just love the 45 acp round in the H&K package.The S&W 457 is a nice 45 also and at a budget price but carries one less round than the H&K. If the S&W had night sights on it I may have picked it.So do any of you guys and gals have a hard time deciding what gun to carry daily? I think I may have just to many carry guns that I like.:dunno:

EAJuggalo
11-30-2011, 19:15
Occasionally I can't decide between the G21SF and the Taurus 650 snubbie but usually there is a reason to choose one over the other.

xmanhockey7
11-30-2011, 19:16
Yeeepppp!

thejellster05
11-30-2011, 19:17
Also have a really hard time deciding which rifle to take hunting!

unit1069
11-30-2011, 19:19
I don't have a difficult time picking a carry gun because I only have two primary CCW pistols, a Steyr 9mm sub-compact and a Glock .357sig compact. I also have a very small, light "pocket" 9mm (a little to big to really be a pocket carry piece) that just hasn't quite made the reliability hurdle and is not a striker-fired design. (I like having the same trigger system insofar as that removes one possible glitch in an extremely stressful situation.)

In an urban environment the Steyr gets carry duty 80% of the time; in a rural environment the Glock gets carry duty 80% of the time. Nature has a way of balancing things out.

michael e
11-30-2011, 19:21
Most weekends, during the week I can't carry at work so the gun on the nightstand goes in the car with me. On the weekend it is alot harder, 22 glocks that fit holsters I have, I dont any of them feeling left out.

collim1
11-30-2011, 19:22
Nope, my carry guns all have a purpose. I carry my jframe when I need a discreet gun for dress clothes. I carry my P239 and a spare mag all other times.

Now picking which guns to take the range is another story...

harrygunner
11-30-2011, 20:33
Little difficulty. I concluded an adequate gun is fine, the gun is not the most important factor.

I selected a manual-of-arms for my carry guns and and focus on training.

cadillacguns
12-01-2011, 03:17
Depends on season, and where I am going. I seem to undercarry during the warm time of the year and adequatly carry in the colder season (like now). In the hot midwestern season, its Glock-27 usualy in a jean pocket or on the ankle. When its coat or jacket time, the Glock-23 gets the nod more or less with the spare mag, indide the waist holster, inside jacket pocket, outside jacket pocket. If I am going into Indianapolis, the G-23. Out and about its either the 27 or 23 whichever I grab. Now if I go back home to visit the folks in the Detroit area..........I better carry both!

HerrGlock
12-01-2011, 04:40
Nope.

Patchman
12-01-2011, 04:57
For CCW it's between my two G19s and my G26. And now that I hardly ever carry my G26 anymore, the choices are even easier.

Lately I've been thinking about adding variety to the CCW mix... by purchasing a third G19 (Gen 3 of course).

Selecting a CCW was based on simplicity of manual of arms, reliability, and would I have the ability to maintain the guns? Once I completed that Glock armorer's course, the choice was made for me.

SouthernBoyVA
12-01-2011, 06:47
Funny you mention this. Like most people who carry, I have a number of guns from several manufacturers which I consider to be in my carry stable. Some are only used in specific situations (very light clothing, deep concealment, etc.) and some could serve as primary carry pieces.

For the past two months, I have been going through a process of re-evaluating my primary carry gun with other candidates for several reasons. Over the past 4 3/4 years, my primary carry gun has been one of my 3G Glock 23's. So for the past two months I have been weigh it against other selected choices in my stable to see how it fairs and what might be best for me now. I do this by going to an indoor range and putting the guns through a series of paces to see how they and me do. Target distances, Target flipping for short exposure, different targets, tactical magazine changes, etc. A major candidate is my M&P 9 Pro Series I bought last August. This past Monday, it was heads up against my 3 G Glock 19. Next time out will be spent primarily with that M&P and just for kicks, my new M&P 45 with a 4" barrel.

I would not be one bit remiss about continuing to carry the 3G Glock 23 I mentioned about. But I have been finding that I shoot the M&P 9 Pro better at this time. Before I settle on a final primary selection, I'll probably put the two of them through the wringer again side by side and see how it goes. I also have an M&P 40 for consideration, but that M&P 9 Pro Series is spot on.

I attribute this to a number of factors and since I am by no means a brand loyal individual (that is down right silly), I am open to whatever works bests for me.

Donn57
12-01-2011, 11:25
Nope. My only decision is whether to carry one or two. If I carry only one, it is the Colt Agent. If I carry two it is the Agent and the Detective Special.

I do have a third handgun, a Browning BDA .45 (aka SIG P220), but I haven't carried it in years.

Spiffums
12-01-2011, 12:02
It's either a Tec 9 and Hi Tops day or an Uzi and bunny slippers day.

I just carry my G34 everywhere I can. If I don't have the 34 I got a 19 that goes with shorts and "stuff".

HerrGlock
12-01-2011, 12:08
It's either a Tec 9 and Hi Tops day or an Uzi and bunny slippers day.

I just carry my G34 everywhere I can. If I don't have the 34 I got a 19 that goes with shorts and "stuff".

NOOOOO, it's the tec 9 and high tops or uzi and low tops

then give up and just choose the bunny slippers :animlol:

Samboard
12-01-2011, 12:25
http://youtu.be/2sSjn37WfIk

xmanhockey7
12-01-2011, 12:39
It's a lot of times between my Glock 22 or Springfield XDm 3.8 compact. Would like to take 'em both but I just hate the idea of the fact I'd be carrying around mags for each that wouldn't go with each other. Kinda wanna just get a Glock 27 and make it much easier.

CCO
12-01-2011, 13:00
I only have 2 handguns, a .38 4" K frame that became mine when my grandpa passed away, and a G26. I've carried the G26 daily for 2 years now, and have never considered attempting to carry the SW.

MAJohns
12-01-2011, 13:43
i have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 MAG, a Taurus judge PD, a Springfield XD sub com .40 cal., and a herratige rough rider .22 not a hard choice for me.

Two Guns
12-01-2011, 14:31
i have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 MAG, a Taurus judge PD, a Springfield XD sub com .40 cal., and a herratige rough rider .22 not a hard choice for me.

So you carry the 629.:rofl:

Stover918
12-01-2011, 14:41
Nope its a 20c. And a spare mag. All day everyday! If I can't stop you with that then I quit.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bren
12-01-2011, 14:50
I carry whichever gun is handy and fits - sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in a day. Today it was a S&W 637, S&W 686 and a Glock 27. Yesterday it was all of those and a Walther PPK/S at various times.

MAJohns
12-01-2011, 15:01
So you carry the 629.:rofl:

correct! lol that beast weights 15lbs. i prefer the XD:tongueout:

beforeobamabans
12-01-2011, 15:32
As I've gotten older and my back gotten weaker, I've become much more weight sensitive in my carry selection. So 95% of the time it's a G26 in my beautiful Brommeland Max Con V which just disappears behind my right kidney. I do get a kick out of strapping on the .45 Glock or 17+1 G17 when I know I'm just going out for short periods.

JBL13
12-01-2011, 20:14
I carry whichever gun is handy and fits - sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in a day. Today it was a S&W 637, S&W 686 and a Glock 27. Yesterday it was all of those and a Walther PPK/S at various times.

I've switched out guns throughout a given day, too. My typical rotation includes a G21SF, a 4" GP100, and a 2.25" DAO SP101. A .38 LCR always plays backup.

Jamesey
12-01-2011, 23:00
When you have only one gun the decision is easy! For me it's a G30. The Mossy 500 is just too big and bulky, so it guards the homefront.

youngvr4
12-01-2011, 23:02
G29 every day all day

SCmasterblaster
12-02-2011, 18:10
I have only one choice - a 3rd Gen G17 with Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP +p+ loads. 17 + 17 ought to handle just about anything here in NH/VT.

Glockdude1
12-02-2011, 18:12
No.

Only have 2 pistols that I use for carry.

:cool:

acpd541
12-10-2011, 10:33
No, as I only have my Sig P220. Saves time.

huggytree
12-10-2011, 11:41
i bought my G27 specifically for carry....i have the attitude that i dont care if it gets scuffed and chipped up...its just a tool

my other guns i like to keep looking in brand new condition...i cry when i see a mark on them...im a fussy person...

i own many hand guns...most full size.....finally WI passed the CCW and all of my guns are too big to carry....a cabinet full of guns and none that i can really use....i found it ironic

Sam Spade
12-10-2011, 12:28
Geez...it's a tool, not a fashion accessory.

Figure out what mole needs to be whacked and pick a bonker to do it.

fastbolt
12-10-2011, 12:59
Geez...it's a tool, not a fashion accessory.

Figure out what mole needs to be whacked and pick a bonker to do it.

Sam's less wordy than I tend to be ... :whistling:

:rofl:

When I was a young man and had just become a cop, I often carried a gun off-duty that I "liked". Not just shot well, but "liked". The number of guns I "liked" grew quite a bit over the years.

After enough years in the business, which included working as a firearms instructor & armorer, and nowadays I "like" guns somewhat less. They're something I carry around for dedicated defensive roles.

Getting over much of the "like them" thing was probably helped along by having to carry issued weapons that I didn't especially "like", at least at first, but still had to carry & use. I grew to "like" that they functioned and I could use them acurately and effectively, even if I didn't feel like running out and buying a similar one of my own.

Now, I own a fair number of handguns which I "liked" enough to have bought. They all have features or characteristics which I've found useful for various reasons, many of which have been because I'd become familiar and had gained experience with them as a firearms instructor and armorer over the years. (FWIW, I have enough personally-owned handguns I've used for qualifications that I could carry a different one every day and not carry the same one twice for at least a month.) I can keep my agency's Master pin shooting any of them over any of the courses-of-fire we've used, and they change all the time.

Anyway, nowadays I'm retired, although I still keep my hand in as an instructor & armorer, just to give me something to do and help out (I volunteer my time). The gun I choose to carry as a retirement CCW weapon on any particular day is usually chosen when taking my planned activities into consideration, which includes how I wish to dress. I'm much less inclined to have to "dress around a gun" nowadays (unless I feel the circumstances I anticipate that day might make it prudent to carry a larger/heavier gun, of course).

That said, I've noticed that there have been some days when I've found myself standing in front of the safe trying to decide which gun to carry. It eventually made me ask myself "why?" :dunno: I should be out and about, enjoying my day/evening, my retirement, my activities, being with my family, meeting the guys for a cigar at a club ... pretty much doing anything other than wasting time trying to figure out what clothing, shoes or gun to wear ... :rofl:

Seriously, though, I finally decided to make this process simple ...

Most times I reach into the safe for a gun, I usually select one that will best suit my clothing/cover garments and carry method choice, and not unduly interfere with my planned activities of the day or evening. However ... if I find myself trying to decide between a couple of choices because I happen to "like them", I immediately reach for something other than those choices, and then simply go about my business. It's just a handgun, after all.

As long as it's in normal & good condition and operating order, and it's one with which I'm familiar, trained, well-practiced and have demonstrated competency ... it'll "do". I'm not carrying it as an accessory, or a "lucky charm", or a talisman ... or because I like to think about how nice it looks and whether it "makes me feel good".

No. I'm carrying it as a dedicated defensive weapon. It's a tool. Like one of my well-worn SAK's or other pocket knives. Most of the guns I own are what you might call "well worn", as they see a lot of range use for training, practice & quals.

Granted, I do have some small number of them which might be hard to replace, and I'd rather not lose them to an evidence/property room for months or a few years. I have some others that I could go right out and buy another which looks just like them, if needed, so it would bother me a bit less to have to surrender one of them. All of them are still just tools of a sort, though, when it comes right down to it.

Now, that's me. I do NOT make such choices for anyone other than myself.

Luck to you. Which one would you rather try to use if your life, or the life of a loved one, were in imminent peril of serious bodily injury or death?

Just my thoughts.

10-32
12-10-2011, 13:39
I don't usually have a very difficult time choosing which gun to carry but, like most others here, I do have several options available to me and I don't always carry the same gun.

Normally if I'm wearing flimsy (read: no belt loops) shorts or sweat pants or something of that nature, I'll carry my KelTec P32 with Cor-Bon DPX. It's unobtrusive, lightweight, and has proven its ability to go bang.

With jeans or any other time I am wearing a belt, I prefer my Colt New Agent .45, currently with Winchester SXZ in a Galco OWB pancake style holster. (I prefer OWB pancake holsters, just my preference).
I used to carry my Kimber Ultra CDP because I like the way it shoots better than the Colt, but I found that I was too preoccupied with trying to keep that gun all nice and pretty, so I relegated it back to the safe.

Last week I bought a Sig Sauer P238, which may replace both of the above guns. With an IWB clip holster, I think it will work well with sweats (so long as the clip holds), and it seems to ride nice in this new OWB pancake holster as well. Nice bright night sights also make it a contender for a nightstand gun, which rounds out my needs in a handgun. Some range time is needed however, to see if this weapon meets my criteria for reliability.

Of course if I want to be fancy, I always have my series I Kimber Gold Combat and custom Jerry Haugen (Haugenhandgunleather.com) OWB pancake holster, but I don't usually get too concerned with being fancy, just safe.

Never Nervous
12-10-2011, 20:22
Nope. G23 or G30sf. My destination determines what gun I carry.

NN

kahrcarrier
12-11-2011, 09:51
I like to mix it up, just for the heck of it.
And I seem to go through phases; for a long time I carried GLOCKs or an H&K P7. I haven't carried the H&K in a year and a half or so......

These days, I'm on a SA semi-auto kick. Been carrying a Colt Stainless Commander, whic is a great but heavy gun, or a Kimber equevalant. Even throw a Browning Hi Power into the mix at times.

Having a decent, reliable gun with you is the main issue, IMO. The rest is just minor preferences.

Jack23
12-11-2011, 10:08
It seemed a problem at first but then I realized that I needn't choose just one gun for carry. I have several that I rotate and choose each day which one to carry that day based upon the weather, how I need to dress, and my mood. Carrying a hand gun is like so many other aspects of life....Variety is the spice of life.

Wolf Spyder
12-11-2011, 11:54
NO.

I only carry one model of gun for a CCW.
No confusion.
No reaching for a safety that is on one gun but not on the other.
No issues with a different grip style.
Uniformity is the name of my game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/JW7E2583small.jpg

Deye76
12-11-2011, 13:26
I was having the hardest time figuring out what gun I wanted to be my primary carry gun. I just have so many that I like.It came down to my S&W 457, H&K USP Compact 40 or my H&K USP Compact 45. I shoot them all about the same and they all carry about the same in the same holster.But in the end I picked the USP Compact 45. I really don't know why but I just love the gun a little more than the other two. Plus I just love the 45 acp round in the H&K package.The S&W 457 is a nice 45 also and at a budget price but carries one less round than the H&K. If the S&W had night sights on it I may have picked it.So do any of you guys and gals have a hard time deciding what gun to carry daily? I think I may have just to many carry guns that I like.:dunno:

If you had a Glock, no decision needed. :supergrin:

BamaTrooper
12-11-2011, 13:47
No.
G26 or 27 most times, alternate with a G36.
Pocket and ankle carry a SW442 depending on clothes.

Carrys
12-11-2011, 15:00
I have several types/calibers of guns which are available to me. The decision of which to carry for which day is really easy when it comes down to it.

Based on what I have to wear for that day and where I may be going................I carry the most gun I can get away with, every time.

Sometimes that may be my .357 snub, my 9mm Glock 19, or my .45.....Glock or 1911, just depends but never anything less.

Once I got a bit more used to carrying and being comfortable with it, I never carried my .38, my Glock 26, or my Glock 27 again. I now always carry the most gun I can, always.

That's just what I do mind you.

RLE
12-11-2011, 18:55
NO.

I only carry one model of gun for a CCW.
No confusion.
No reaching for a safety that is on one gun but not on the other.
No issues with a different grip style.
Uniformity is the name of my game.

Exactly.

Aeroscoper
12-11-2011, 20:08
Only when it's cold out, otherwise the clothes will typically dictate what's easily concealable.

When coat weather I'll sometimes choose either the 1911 or g31.

happyguy
12-11-2011, 20:19
Sam's less wordy than I tend to be ... :whistling:

:rofl:

When I was a young man and had just become a cop, I often carried a gun off-duty that I "liked". Not just shot well, but "liked". The number of guns I "liked" grew quite a bit over the years.

After enough years in the business, which included working as a firearms instructor & armorer, and nowadays I "like" guns somewhat less. They're something I carry around for dedicated defensive roles.

Getting over much of the "like them" thing was probably helped along by having to carry issued weapons that I didn't especially "like", at least at first, but still had to carry & use. I grew to "like" that they functioned and I could use them acurately and effectively, even if I didn't feel like running out and buying a similar one of my own.

Now, I own a fair number of handguns which I "liked" enough to have bought. They all have features or characteristics which I've found useful for various reasons, many of which have been because I'd become familiar and had gained experience with them as a firearms instructor and armorer over the years. (FWIW, I have enough personally-owned handguns I've used for qualifications that I could carry a different one every day and not carry the same one twice for at least a month.) I can keep my agency's Master pin shooting any of them over any of the courses-of-fire we've used, and they change all the time.

Anyway, nowadays I'm retired, although I still keep my hand in as an instructor & armorer, just to give me something to do and help out (I volunteer my time). The gun I choose to carry as a retirement CCW weapon on any particular day is usually chosen when taking my planned activities into consideration, which includes how I wish to dress. I'm much less inclined to have to "dress around a gun" nowadays (unless I feel the circumstances I anticipate that day might make it prudent to carry a larger/heavier gun, of course).

That said, I've noticed that there have been some days when I've found myself standing in front of the safe trying to decide which gun to carry. It eventually made me ask myself "why?" :dunno: I should be out and about, enjoying my day/evening, my retirement, my activities, being with my family, meeting the guys for a cigar at a club ... pretty much doing anything other than wasting time trying to figure out what clothing, shoes or gun to wear ... :rofl:

Seriously, though, I finally decided to make this process simple ...

Most times I reach into the safe for a gun, I usually select one that will best suit my clothing/cover garments and carry method choice, and not unduly interfere with my planned activities of the day or evening. However ... if I find myself trying to decide between a couple of choices because I happen to "like them", I immediately reach for something other than those choices, and then simply go about my business. It's just a handgun, after all.

As long as it's in normal & good condition and operating order, and it's one with which I'm familiar, trained, well-practiced and have demonstrated competency ... it'll "do". I'm not carrying it as an accessory, or a "lucky charm", or a talisman ... or because I like to think about how nice it looks and whether it "makes me feel good".

No. I'm carrying it as a dedicated defensive weapon. It's a tool. Like one of my well-worn SAK's or other pocket knives. Most of the guns I own are what you might call "well worn", as they see a lot of range use for training, practice & quals.

Granted, I do have some small number of them which might be hard to replace, and I'd rather not lose them to an evidence/property room for months or a few years. I have some others that I could go right out and buy another which looks just like them, if needed, so it would bother me a bit less to have to surrender one of them. All of them are still just tools of a sort, though, when it comes right down to it.

Now, that's me. I do NOT make such choices for anyone other than myself.

Luck to you. Which one would you rather try to use if your life, or the life of a loved one, were in imminent peril of serious bodily injury or death?

Just my thoughts.

Talk about a wet blanket!

Just kidding! :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Darkangel1846
12-11-2011, 20:57

Always carry the one gun that works best for you. Saying that, I change depending on the situation presented to me. In some situations I can only carry a KelTec .380 on my person, but I always have a glock in my carry bag.
Winter and summer carry are different, dress up verses dress down situations. Parties verses back woods. Each situation has a handgun that fits that situation, and it keeps me on my toes so I must practice with each handgun routinely. If you can find one handgun that fits every event in your life, then excellent. Mine differes just way too much.:wavey:

fastbolt
12-12-2011, 01:21
Talk about a wet blanket!

Just kidding! :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Like I haven't heard that before .... ;)

tdrake2406
12-12-2011, 02:13
in az we can open carry. what i like to do when it gets cold here though is ccw my 629 and ccw my 27 on my ankle. if my life depended on it though, i would prolly carry my 1911 or my 27. i love all my handguns though and like to keep them all in rotation.

DB1985
12-12-2011, 05:35
Occasionally have to choose between a kel-tec PF9 or my glock 30. Depends on what I'm wearing.

mt920
12-12-2011, 06:29
Nope... My state doesn't permit CCW!!!!

Lior
12-12-2011, 07:00
Given an unlimited number of pistols to choose from, I could understand where any indecision might lie. On the one hand you should keep it simple, but on the other circumstances and threat assessments may change.

Personally I have one default EDC that I always carry, unless I'm at a shooting match involving another concealable pistol, in which case I carry it on the way to and from the range.

Alpine
12-12-2011, 20:25
Nope. G30 on the hip or SW380 in the pocket.

Cosmo M3
12-13-2011, 10:55
Terrible idea to "cycle" carry guns.

up1911fan
12-13-2011, 12:07
No. I shoot many different guns, but carry a Glock all the time. I believe in always carrying the same platform. I carry a couple different Glocks, but it's dependent on weather, mode of dress and activity. Come's down to a G26, G19 or G38 for me.

Clutch Cargo
12-14-2011, 13:15
It happens more in the summer due to clothing I plan on wearing.