Anyone own the Thunder Ranch Mossberg? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own the Thunder Ranch Mossberg?

glock2740
11-30-2011, 19:25
I already have an 870 HD shotty, but this would go really well with my Thunder Ranch Les Baer 1911. :cool:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/77468

fkizdi
12-01-2011, 15:01
looks ok
didnt know thunder ranch was teaming with mossberg. i always though clint smith was an 870 guy.

smokin762
12-01-2011, 15:09
I donít understand why it has a lock busting attachment. I would think this model is for Home Defense. Not for breaking into a home. I would rather have a Ghost Ring sights on it than that muzzle attachment.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Lame!:shakehead:<o:p></o:p>

MrMurphy
12-01-2011, 15:14
Because of the Chicks Dig It points.......Mossberg's putting the breaching attachment on half their shotguns these days because idiots think it looks cool.

ArmoryDoc
12-01-2011, 15:47
That breaching device is lame. Completely impractical unless you are on an entry team.

B Coyote
12-01-2011, 16:03
Because of the Chicks Dig It points.......Mossberg's putting the breaching attachment on half their shotguns these days because idiots think it looks cool.

Well stated. Mossberg should be ashamed of themselves.

bc

Providence
12-01-2011, 16:08
I've been thinking about the TR model well. My local store has it for $350. I need a little shorter LOP (I am short), and this would keep from spending the money on a new stock. I have an unused pistol light, so I could attach it to the side rail. No extra money there either. The breacher doesn't interest me, but apparently Clint Smith has a retention technique that uses the breacher.

MedicOni
12-01-2011, 16:10

bc

I see nothing to be ashamed about on Mossberg's part. They probably only do it because they make money on it. Plenty of idiots out there.

smokin762
12-01-2011, 16:13

Well, I am into it if it makes the chicks cloths fall off. :wolf:

B Coyote
12-01-2011, 16:20
I see nothing to be ashamed about on Mossberg's part. They probably only do it because they make money on it. Plenty of idiots out there.

Feeding the idiots is something to be ashamed of.

bc

Angry Fist
12-01-2011, 16:25
I'd rather have the 20" barrel and full length mag tube.

mr.scott
12-04-2011, 20:16
Feeding the idiots is something to be ashamed of.

bc

It's a business. You cater to what people want. That's how you stay in business.
If you dont like it, don't buy it.

PlasticGuy
12-04-2011, 22:42
Looks good to me. I wish they had built it around the 590a1, but that would make it more expensive.

There sure is a lot of hate toward those "breacher" attachments. I don't understand why. Of course the idea of a normal home owner breaching doors is stupid. It is a good choice for muzzle strikes though, and it protects the muzzle if the gun is dropped or the muzzle impacts something when moving in confined areas.

Landlocked
12-05-2011, 00:46
Not one person said that they actually owned one in this thread. Well I bought one (yet to receive it from Buds) for a number of reasons. This will be a home defense shotgun period. I wanted to mossberg 500 because of the controls. The shorter length of pull appealed to me without buying a new stock and it comes standard with this model. The front sight I wanted, would also have been an extra expense I didn't want to invest in. The finish wasn't "blued". Comes with sling and a forend with a way to attach a light without spending money on a surefire forend. The price was right about in line with what you are getting and is above their economy models they sell that has no metal forearm tube. The balance of a 6 shot model feels better to me than a 20" barrel with a long magazine tube.

Things I can live with that I wouldn't have bought on my own, the logo on the receiver and the breacher barrel. Does it bother me about the barrel? Not at all, but the extras you get on the shotgun, at least for me, outweighed passing on this model. I am pretty sure that the barrel will shoot like a non breacher barrel.

I will be happy to give a full review when I actually get it.

smokin762
12-05-2011, 08:13
Not one person said that they actually owned one in this thread. Well I bought one (yet to receive it from Buds) for a number of reasons. This will be a home defense shotgun period. I wanted to mossberg 500 because of the controls. The shorter length of pull appealed to me without buying a new stock and it comes standard with this model. The front sight I wanted, would also have been an extra expense I didn't want to invest in. The finish wasn't "blued". Comes with sling and a forend with a way to attach a light without spending money on a surefire forend. The price was right about in line with what you are getting and is above their economy models they sell that has no metal forearm tube. The balance of a 6 shot model feels better to me than a 20" barrel with a long magazine tube.

Things I can live with that I wouldn't have bought on my own, the logo on the receiver and the breacher barrel. Does it bother me about the barrel? Not at all, but the extras you get on the shotgun, at least for me, outweighed passing on this model. I am pretty sure that the barrel will shoot like a non breacher barrel.

I will be happy to give a full review when I actually get it.

I bought my Mossberg 500A new back in the early 1990’s. It has an 8 shot magazine and I added the heat shield and side saddle because I picked them up cheap at a gun show. I still wish it had Ghost Ring sights. A friend and I traded butt stocks. I put a 590 stock on it because I needed the extra length of pull. He needed a shorter stock for his 590.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=4562 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

fkizdi
12-05-2011, 15:46
i had no problem with mossberg's production 'accessories' they put on some of their shotguns UNTIL I saw the chainsaw grip on a shot show vid...and then saw it in their catalog. ridiculous

B Coyote
12-05-2011, 22:12
It's a business. You cater to what people want. That's how you stay in business.
If you dont like it, don't buy it.

No worries about that.

bc

arrtvandelay
12-06-2011, 08:45
I actually own one of these. It is my first shotgun, but I definitely didn't buy it just for the breacher barrel. I bought it b/c it came already equipped with the 2 mods I would have made to any other HD shotgun I was considering. It had rails for a light on the forend and came with a sling. Call me an idiot, but it was nice to get that all in one package.

As far as the gun goes, I certainly enjoyed the 25 shells I put through it last weekend. My shoulder did not, but that's to be expected. I did get comments on the gun at the range, and all were positive on the breacher barrel. It does look pretty badass, but I only deem it practical as a jabbing weapon after I exhaust the 5-6 shots in the gun. So if I ever have to fight a zombie horde and I'm out if ammo, at least I can jab them in the eye...

Providence
12-06-2011, 13:46
I actually own one of these. It is my first shotgun, but I definitely didn't buy it just for the breacher barrel. I bought it b/c it came already equipped with the 2 mods I would have made to any other HD shotgun I was considering. It had rails for a light on the forend and came with a sling. Call me an idiot, but it was nice to get that all in one package.I am seriously thinking about buying one for the same reasons as you.

Providence
12-18-2011, 15:31
I picked up a Moss 500 TR. Actually, Santa stopped by and gave it to me. He said, "Say hello to your new little friend!"

I really like it, but I'll admit that I'm a little embarrassed by the breacher barrel. It does look b. a., but it's overboard... too much. So I'm telling my friend about it, he said, "Don't worry about it. It's for poking the bad guy to see if he is dead." That made me feel better!

Landlocked
12-22-2011, 20:28
After a long wait I finally received mine. The LOP is perfect for me. The breacher barrel is not neccessary and adds a little weight to the front of the shotgun. No big deal though. I do like the front sight, easy to pick up. I cannot figure out what type of finish it is but it looks good and seems like it will hold up. the forearm is great with the built in's for a light and the rails do not interfere with grasping it and the lower rail is not uncomfortable. For the "extras" you get for the price you pay, this model is a great value. Overall very happy with it.

dtuns
01-24-2013, 13:04
Is the breacher removable?

method
01-24-2013, 14:31
I actually own one of these. It is my first shotgun, but I definitely didn't buy it just for the breacher barrel. I bought it b/c it came already equipped with the 2 mods I would have made to any other HD shotgun I was considering. It had rails for a light on the forend and came with a sling. Call me an idiot, but it was nice to get that all in one package.

Why would you want a sling on a home defense shotgun?

Providence
01-24-2013, 16:56
Is the breacher removable? No

Why would you want a sling on a home defense shotgun?Mine didn't come with a sling. I can't really see a use for as sling in my situation.

Kilrain
01-24-2013, 20:36
I've often wondered about the Thunder Ranch Mossberg too. I get marketing and what not, but in this video, which is admittedly about 5 years old, he basically says that he really doesn't know anything about Mossberg shotguns but that he's heard good things:

Clint Smith 870

As for a sling on an HD shotgun, if it is essentially a barricade gun meant to be used to defend a fixed position only, then I agree no sling needed. If you plan on taking you and yours and leaving, it has an application.

skeeter7
01-26-2013, 08:15
I inquired about the Thunder Ranch yesterday at the gun shop because I was actually looking into checking one out. He logged onto to both of his suppliers' websites and they are both showing zero. :crying: He does have something similar in 20ga but it has the regular stock with the 14" LOP which I don't care for but I can always swap it out with the Hogue I guess.

Providence
01-26-2013, 11:03
I like it for the shorter length of pull and the forearm. For me, it was cheaper to get the Thunder Ranch than to buy a standard 500 and the accessories. It has a nice balance. I've not regretted the purchase. As for availability, everything is a little crazy right now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Whazoo
02-09-2013, 21:47
I like it for the shorter length of pull and the forearm. For me, it was cheaper to get the Thunder Ranch than to buy a standard 500 and the accessories. It has a nice balance. I've not regretted the purchase. As for availability, everything is a little crazy right now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I picked one up a few weeks ago, I like the short stock and rail attachment points - I will be smoothing off the rails once I settle on a weapon light - I have added a 1/8" neopreme cheek pad & had the butt stock top and bottom beveled. It's a good basic shotgun - light and well thought out - as for the breacher, I don't think it's a bad idea to have a sharp pointy end on the shotgun, especially if it could prevent a $20K legal defense in a high risk situation...I haven't shot it enough to consider it broken in, but I plan to run through 2 cases of claybirds in the near future...if I learn anything new about it will post an update.

MIWildcat
02-26-2013, 20:35
I picked up a Thunder Ranch last fall and I'm quite pleased with the shotgun. In some ways, it is classic Mossberg, as it does rattle a bit and it just doesn't feel as tight as a Remington.

However, this thing works! The shortened stock, combined with the shortened barrel, make this a great shotgun for home defense. I would not recommend clearing rooms, but if you needed to do so, the length of the gun would make it idea for doing so. The addition of rails and the sight are great. I had thought I'd prefer ghost rings like some of the 590A1's have, but after using this little beast, I don't think it is necessary.

The breacher is a bit of a turn-off for some, but having a pointy end to poke with isn't a bad idea, honestly. The barrel is quite sharp and you could do a bit of damage with it if necessary.

Overall, I was a bit skeptical about this gun until I picked it up and now I really love it. Great design, great gun and my biggest complaint is the name on the side. Otherwise, I would recommend it!

moeman
03-11-2013, 18:17

bc

Overkill? probably, but it doesn't impact the function of the gun--so not that bad.

moeman
03-11-2013, 18:22
I do have a Mossberg semi blackwater in 12G... Impulse buy that I came out really good. Good hd/3 gun shotgun.

I was born and raised a Remington guy so this is a balanced view IMO. I was shopping for a versamax remmy tactical and since they were no where to be found I bought this mossberg. I love it--rail+ fiberoptics right out of the box.
http://www.tombstonetactical.com/images/mossberg/85371-1-large.jpg

Anyway... sorry you may love pumps but since I have semi auto shotguns (11-87)pistols (many)and rifles (many) that work completely fine I advocate semiauto shootguns.

I like the FN and Bennellis too! But Mossberg pricing is aggressive.

burttrans
03-13-2013, 12:07
I do have a Mossberg semi blackwater in 12G... Impulse buy that I came out really good. Good hd/3 gun shotgun.

I was born and raised a Remington guy so this is a balanced view IMO. I was shopping for a versamax remmy tactical and since they were no where to be found I bought this mossberg. I love it--rail+ fiberoptics right out of the box.
http://www.tombstonetactical.com/images/mossberg/85371-1-large.jpg

Anyway... sorry you may love pumps but since I have semi auto shotguns (11-87)pistols (many)and rifles (many) that work completely fine I advocate semiauto shootguns.

I like the FN and Bennellis too! But Mossberg pricing is aggressive.

What is steet price for one of these? I like it?