Range Report -- Underwood Ammo and more... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report -- Underwood Ammo and more...

G29SF
12-01-2011, 15:34
Folks:

Just got back from my local indoor range. This was the first time I have been able to go shooting in about two months so I stayed a while and had a ton of fun.

Between now and last time I went shooting, I have been introduced to Underwood Ammo. Heard good things about it. Went online and liked the prices, so I ordered a few boxes. Here is what I shot:

135gr Noslers
165gr Golden Sabers
180gr Golden Sabers
180gr JHPs
(200gr XTPs are still on order)

I also shot:

.40 S&W WWB
.357 Sig WWB
80gr Barnes Tac-XP 9x25 Dillon (Double Tap)
95gr Controlled Expansion JHP 9x25 Dillon (Double Tap)

First, let me say how excited I am about having more 10mm options with Underwood Ammo. I don't have a crony however I can tell his stuff is very, very nice. It is hot and functioned flawlessy. It put the same WOW Smile on my face when I shot it... just as Swamp Fox's ammo did. I am happy to say I found my new 10mm source!

I shot the Underwood Ammo in both my G20SF (22# spring) and my G29SF (23# spring). All cases flew back pretty far... just like when I shot SF ammo. Again, way cool ammo.

Then I blew off 100 rounds of .40 S&W I had. Nothing real exciting there, but still functioned quite well. This was in a .40 conversion barrel for my G20SF.

Next I shot 50 rounds of .357 Sig. This was in my G20SF with a conversion barrel. This was by far the weakest of the bunch. (Not a knock on .357 Sig... I am sure the WWB had something to do with it!) It still functioned, however the brass was rolling off my knuckles and landed on the shooting bench. Pretty funny!

Next I shot some 9x25 Dillon. Shot it through both my G20SF and my G29SF. "Great balls o' fire" and LOUD is the only way to describe it. I don't see much use for this, however is has a big "fun" factor at the indoor range. Made a lot of heads turn!

Nothing real new to report. Just thought I would share my fun time today. Again, that Underwood Ammo is sweet. It is loud and kick's like a mule. I LOVE IT! Definately have to hang on to your gun. Underwood Ammo: it is what the 10 is all about!

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 16:04
Cool, thanks for the range report.

G29SF
12-01-2011, 16:24
I don't know if it was real clear or not, but the non-10mm ammo (.40 S&W, .357 Sig and 9x25 Dillon) was NOT Underwood Ammo. Don't want any of my "less-than-stellar" comments about those rounds to be a reflection on Underwood.

Later...

JimIsland
12-01-2011, 17:38
Damn, you did have some fun! Stock barrels when shooting the 10mm stuff???

Glockz0r
12-01-2011, 17:46
Sounds like Underwood 10mm is the cat's meow. I just traded for a G20 yesterday as my first 10mm pistol so I'm certainly in the market for some "real" 10mm and the prices are not shabby at all.

07hemi4me
12-01-2011, 18:07
I ordered some of Underwood's ammo on Sunday, it arrived today
135gr Noslers & 180gr JHPs. Cant wait to put them thru my 29 and Delta

G29SF
12-01-2011, 19:57
Damn, you did have some fun! Stock barrels when shooting the 10mm stuff???

Nope. I use KKM barrels for all my ammo except for the 9x25 Dillon. For those I have LWD barrels.

My stock Glock barrels (I have been using plural because I have both a G29SF and a G29SF and I have 4 KKM and 2 LWD barrels between the two gun models) have less than 100 rounds each through them. I got KKM 10mm barrels for them right out of the gate. I have never put the stock barrels back in ever since.

Near as I can tell, the GEN3 guns have pretty good feed ramp support. The KKM barrels I have are slightly better in that department but much better than previous generations of Glocks. The chamber support (diameter) is much improved over stock.

Can you shoot Underwood Ammo through a stock barrel? Based on recent threads I would say yes. However, I would have to say it probably depends on the generation of Glock. The generation of Glock is an important variable that is often missing from all of our discussions.

I do know the "shock-and-awe" produced from Underwood's 10mm ammo is so similar to Swamp Fox's (it felt exactly the same for me) that I will stick with my KKM barrels. Underwood's velocity numbers are a little less that SF's, however they are close enough!

I am glad I have a pinky grip on my G29SF!

Doxiedad
12-03-2011, 02:11
How is underwood ammo's 9mm and 40S&W performance and price wise? Don't have a 10mm yet...

arushus
12-03-2011, 02:38
How is underwood ammo's 9mm and 40S&W performance and price wise? Don't have a 10mm yet...

I would bet that they live up to their published specs...the velocities should be on the web page

Doxiedad
12-03-2011, 09:12
I would bet that they live up to their published specs...the velocities should be on the web page

How does it compare to WWB, Federal American Eagle etc as range ammo or shooting GSSF etc? Price is comparable. How is accuracy/performance in 9mm ?

Gotta feed my new G17

arushus
12-03-2011, 13:10
How does it compare to WWB, Federal American Eagle etc as range ammo or shooting GSSF etc?
Gotta feed my new G17

google is your friend

Doxiedad
12-03-2011, 19:53
google is your friend

Ok maybe it's ignorance on my part the. Is velocity the deciding factor in bullet quality? From what I've googled the Underwood, Speer Lawman, Federal American Eagle all have early identical muzzle velocities for a given bullet weight.

Only difference is Underwood is remanufactured (unless I misread it) while others are factory loads. My question isn't necessarily just about 9mm since I'm trying to get more serious about my shooting.

So as long as its brass cased, average velocity ammo I should just get whatever I can cheap?

I'm not knocking underwood, I'm really interested in this ammo because I like the idea of supporting a small company over a large one, especially since the price is comparable. But I was wanting to know what they offered over other mainstream brands as far as quality, accuracy etc.

Guess I shouldn't have posted a reply to this thread since its 10mm specific, but most Underwood ammo reviews I find seem to be about their 10mm.

arushus
12-03-2011, 22:15
Yes, if you are just talking about cheap fmj rounds, just go with the cheapest stuff, or the best value you can find. There really isnt gonna be much of a difference, especially among 9mm ammo...

bac1023
12-03-2011, 22:36
Thanks for the report.